Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Kid Galahad

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 pm

I caught the movie last week on TCM in the UK, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The funny thing was, when you pressed the Sky information button, it gave a rundown of the 1937 film with Edward G. Robinson !

Taken in the context of when it was made, this (the Elvis one) is such a good film. OK, it's all a bit wholesome, as was Elvis's image by then, but it has a good edge to it even though it's only a lightweight drama. The script reminds me of Jailhouse Rock in that I find myself remembering it without trying - there are just so many good lines . . . I'm a grease monkey who wont slide so easily !

Made on location with an excellent supporting cast, there are good performances all round and especially from Gig Young. There's a magic moment too - just after Elvis has bounded downstairs to save Willy from being beaten-up by the hired hoodlums - when Willy looks upwards to Walter (Elvis) who looks just like the 50's Elvis.

The film had high production values, was colourful and fun. I saw the 1937 original many years ago and would love to see it again athough I think it's currently unobtainable. If you haven't seen the Elvis version, you're missing out.

Steve Morse

Re: Kid Galahad

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Ok.

Now, i categorise Elvis films in three boxes

1) Dramatic
2) Light Comedy
3) Can't make up it's mind between Dramatic or Light comedy an as thus, unentertaining

Only two fall into the third category for me. Gilrs! Girls! Girls! and Kid Galahad.

One of my two least favourite Elvis films of them all.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Its a good movie-doesnt touch the original,funny thing is for me,the movie would have been stronger without the songs.But thats me.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Have always liked this movie and there is a great scene (58 minutes into the movie) where Elvis has to defend himself dating Rose to her brother Willie - just demonstrates that if Elvis was given the right material he could deliver with real conviction.

Top movie!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Ok.

1) Dramatic
2) Light Comedy
3) Can't make up it's mind between Dramatic or Light comedy an as thus, unentertaining

Only two fall into the third category for me. Gilrs! Girls! Girls! and Kid Galahad.

Change of Habit falls into category 3.

Steve Morse

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Oh it is ok for an Elvis movie but I am not really found of his movies in general. Elvis was a brilliant singer and actor but from a good movie I expect more than Elvis did ever deliver. (Not Elvis fault, but I personally prefer The Godfather sequel or many other classics or modern films over watching Elvis films so it has been lightyears ago that I sat through an Elvis film...) The promo stills of Kid Galahad always made me smile: Elvis looked somewhat too thin and handsome to me for being a boxer...

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Ok.

1) Dramatic
2) Light Comedy

Change of Habit falls into category 3.

Steve Morse

Sort of.

Let's re-categorise:

1) Dramatic
2) Light Comedy
4) Straight film with comedy elements

I'd now place in category four, Change of habit, The trouble With Girls, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock

I'd add Fun In Acapulco to category three. Great great music but the film is a bit of a drag. Also, rousabout - again, uneasy viewing but some good music in among the not so good.

Category 1 would be stuff like Flaming Star, love Me tender, Charro, Wild in The Country and King Creole

My favourite category would be 2) featuring Tickle Me, Follow That Dream, Speedway, Girl Happy, Spinout, Live A Little love A Little, Stay Away Joe etc etc

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 am

...................eer Where do musicals fit into this fourmula?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:48 am

Love Kid Galahad. A real movie.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:20 am

Steve you can get the Edward G. Robinson version (which is a pretty swell movie, but different than the Elvis) on Warner Brothers' Gangster Collection Vol. 4. It has about five other movies, but somebody is probably selling loose on EBAY. It's probably still in print as it came out 2008.

Elvis' version is definitely a good movie, even if it's not the hard hitting tale the first movie was. It's kind of a tribute to small town life and the merits of positive thinking. Elvis' character comes in and redeems this town because he sees beauty where they see dirt and drudgery.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 am

Kid Galahad is definitely in my top ten favorit Elvis Movies!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 am

KiwiAlan wrote:...................eer Where do musicals fit into this fourmula?

Err... a little after threemula, and somewhat before fivemula? :wink:

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Elvis' movies with his worst looking hair styles (IMO) :

KID GALAHAD
GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!
IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR
BLUE HAWAII
CHANGE OF HABIT
ELVIS ON TOUR

What about the "poof" look he adopted once Larry Geller started doing his hair?

Easy come easy go
Paradise Hw. style
Double trouble

and so forth.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 am

I like the songs and the movie quite a bit. It's one of the few that has some legs of its own. In other words it's not just an "Elvis movie". Certainlly much better then the stuff Hal Wallis was doing with Elvis at the time even if it wasn't quite as big.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 am

love kid Galahad one of my fav elvis movie's'always remember elvis singing i got lucky as a kid it just blew me away.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 pm

I watched Galahad on sunday.Still a pleasant watch

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

I still think Trouble With Girls is his best ever film!! It could have been made in the last ten years!! It's excellent and random with great characters. And for once, he looks real and not like some Hollywood star with on set hair-dresser.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I watched Kid Galahad also, it was just ok.

The only definite good thing about Elvis' 60s films was ELVIS!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I like Kid Galahad. The early 60's movies had some sparkle and this one along with Wild In The Country, Flaming Star and Follow That Dream are good performances by Elvis me thinks! And not least: The way he sang!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

I think his best acting performances were in things like Stay Away Joe, Trouble With Girls, and Live A Little Love A Little.

His worst is in the 50s movies where he tries too hard and appears unnatural.

His acting is also very tight in Follow that Dream, Girl Happy and Spinout where he is genuinely funny.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:31 pm

bajo wrote:I like Kid Galahad.

It's one of the better Elvis films.

When Walter hands his baptismal certificate over, the priest keeps it, saying "I'll have to check it with the records".

We never hear what he found.

I wonder if there was an abandoned story-line about there being some obstacle to his proposed marriage to Rose, like them being related or something.....................
Last edited by ColinB on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I define Elvis movies in three categories:

1) Good
2) Mediocre
3) Stinkers

The movies should probably be rated like this:

1) Love Me Tender; Loving You; Jailhouse Rock; King Creole; G.I. Blues*; Flaming Star; Wild in the Country; Follow That Dream; Kid Galahad; It Happened at the World’s Fair; Viva Las Vegas; Tickle Me; Spinout; Live a Little, Love a Little; Charro!; That’s the Way It Is; Elvis on Tour

2) Blue Hawaii; Girls! Girls! Girls!*; Fun in Acapulco; Roustabout; Frankie and Johnny; Double Trouble*; The Trouble with Girls (and How to Get into It); Change of Habit

3) Kissin’ Cousins; Girl Happy; Harum Scarum; Paradise, Hawaiian Style; Easy Come, Easy Go; Clambake; Speedway; Stay Away, Joe

* = may belong one level down

G.I. Blues: Fun and full of energy and lightheartedness. It’s enjoyable to watch, and that’s why I placed it in category 1.

Double Trouble: First hour is great, but the movie goes south when the three Belgian morons pop up and ruin everything. Elvis is totally bored with the silly script and can’t even be bothered to act, and this is actually quite funny. If I didn’t know any better, I would think he did it on purpose.

Some of the classifications may be discussed, but most of them are spot on.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:His acting is very tight in Girl Happy where he is genuinely funny.

His acting in that movie is just as embarrassing as it is in Kissin’ Cousins.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 am

I love Girl Happy, but I am a huge fan of Shelley Fabares, and I like both the Hollywood rockers and the ballads in the soundtrack. Even crap like Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce, I dig.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I love Girl Happy, but I am a huge fan of Shelley Fabares, and I like both the Hollywood rockers and the ballads in the soundtrack. Even crap like Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce, I dig.

i love girl happy too,Shelley Fabares is soooooooooooo hot and i love the soundtrack album also.elvis looked like he had so much fun making this movie.