Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

She's Not You - Underated?

Tue May 01, 2007 3:47 pm

A classic slice of early sixties pop, yet you never hear it on the radio (even the oldies stations don't play it) and it's not one of those songs that gets much of a mention in books, accept perhaps when it's dammed with faint praise.

It made #1 in Britain (1962), but "only" #5 in the States.

Written by Pomus, Leiber and Stoller; quite a songwriting team!

Elvis' vocal is delightful (light and airy in some places, but he also gets to use his lower register) and the backing is exceptional, particularly Cramer's lovely piano work on the break.

Tue May 01, 2007 3:52 pm

I've heard Radio 2 play it a few times. I guess it's not regarded as a 'classic' like Hound Dog, It's Now or Never, Suspicious Minds etc.

Good song though

Tue May 01, 2007 4:46 pm

I actualy heard it today on the radio while at work. Underated? I doubt theres many with anything bad to say about the number, its just not as well known because it came from an era of hugely famous hits.

Tue May 01, 2007 4:52 pm

It's simply a run-of-the-mill song with a performance to match.

OK for a 'B' side or an album filler.

In the UK, Elvis was riding high in the singles chart at the time.

Only the weak Wild In The Country, which stalled at No.4, prevented a run of 10 consecutive chart toppers !

This popularity helped She's Not You to the top spot over here.

Tue May 01, 2007 7:42 pm

ColinB wrote:It's simply a run-of-the-mill song with a performance to match.

OK for a 'B' side or an album filler.

In the UK, Elvis was riding high in the singles chart at the time.

Only the weak Wild In The Country, which stalled at No.4, prevented a run of 10 consecutive chart toppers !

This popularity helped She's Not You to the top spot over here.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Tue May 01, 2007 7:46 pm

I heard this song several time on my local radio station besides Suspicious Minds , Always on my Mind etc . i think that this song is really good and has great vocals from Elvis as always ....

[b]i regard this as a classic

There is only 1 King of Rock n roll .
LONG MAY HE REIGN .....[/b]

Tue May 01, 2007 7:54 pm

[quote="karlos"]

[b]i regard this as a classic

yep me too.

Tue May 01, 2007 8:26 pm

I liked She's Not You because it was studio song and not part of a soundtrack. She's Not You sounded country and not a pop song. The early 60's was Elvis at his best. I have not listen to radio for years and don't know if it gets played a lot.

Tue May 01, 2007 8:47 pm

One of the first Elvis songs I heard and I still love it - the vocals are exquisite!

I really enjoy the workkthough version on (I think) Long Lonely Highway.

She's Not You

Tue May 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Wonderful performance of a decent song. Elvis in the early 60's is very underrated.

Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 pm

SHE'S NOT YOU is a perfect song to me !
great vocal, great lyrics, great songwrites 8)
i always like the 1960-1963 era , great studio stuff :wink:
I played it alot as its on the great GOLD RECORDS VOL.3 , one of my first ever records!
Sincerely
LIOR

Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 am

An OK song but nothing earth shattering.

Along with Good Luck Charm these were Perry Como impersonations...not which you would expect from "The King Of Rock And Roll" and no answer to either the Brit explosion or the Beach Boys.

Wed May 02, 2007 12:43 am

This is one of Elvis' lost masterworks and an example of the depth of his interpreter relationship with Doc Pomus. The reason many fans miss it is because it so subtle but it a recording of extreme musical and lyrical depth.

The arrangement is absolutely masterful. Dave Marsh commented that the Jordanaires are so masterfully integrated that it's almost doo wop. You can hear this especially with the way the vocal bass carries the rhythm. Like many Elvis' best tracks from this and other sessions the entire band and vocalists all function as a unit with some of the most driving piano on an Elvis track as the standout element.

The lyric is a very sharp portrait of self-deceit and contempt. When Elvis hits that little falsetto and melisma on the line "It almost feels the same, you can hear the lead character's confusion. Then Elvis quickly drops down to a lower register on the line "I've gotta stop myself from whispering your name" shows his coming back down to reality.

Wed May 02, 2007 12:45 am

KiwiAlan wrote:An OK song but nothing earth shattering.

Along with Good Luck Charm these were Perry Como impersonations...

bollocks

Wed May 02, 2007 12:47 am

likethebike wrote:This is one of Elvis' lost masterworks and an example of the depth of his interpreter relationship with Doc Pomus. The reason many fans miss it is because it so subtle but it a recording of extreme musical and lyrical depth.

The arrangement is absolutely masterful. Dave Marsh commented that the Jordanaires are so masterfully integrated that it's almost doo wop. You can hear this especially with the way the vocal bass carries the rhythm. Like many Elvis' best tracks from this and other sessions the entire band and vocalists all function as a unit with some of the most driving piano on an Elvis track as the standout element.

The lyric is a very sharp portrait of self-deceit and contempt. When Elvis hits that little falsetto and melisma on the line "It almost feels the same, you can hear the lead character's confusion. Then Elvis quickly

drops down to a lower register on the line "I've gotta stop myself from whispering your name" shows his coming back down to reality.

well said .

Re: She's Not You - Underated?

Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 am

londonflash wrote:A classic slice of early sixties pop, yet you never hear it on the radio ...

Well, most of the songs from the 1950s and early 1960s are disappearing from "oldies" radio formats, as the demographic for such audiences is considered by sales to be shifting to a younger group -- in other words, these folks think that crowd is getting too old. So now your "oldies" radio is a mix of hits from the late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Isn't that wonderful?

"She's Not You" is one of the highlights of Elvis' March 1962 sessions, although it does seem to be less noticed than others from the era. Here, Elvis tackles a classic Patsy Cline-styled pop ballad, from the arrangement to the lyrics, and does a fantastic job, as usual.

Elvis did bring "She's Not You" into rehearsals in 1973 and 1974, but it never made it into the set list, which is a shame. It would've been an excellent selection to revive.

KiwiAlan wrote:Along with Good Luck Charm these were Perry Como impersonations...not which you would expect from "The King Of Rock And Roll" and no answer to either the Brit explosion or the Beach Boys.

Smooth balladeer Como really isn't a part of either song.

As noted above, "She's Not You" evokes Patsy Cline all the way. Her singles were hot on the country charts in that time period, and she even had a top twenty pop hit with "She's Got You" (February 1962). Elvis used many of the same musicians and the same studio to cut his recording.

"Good Luck Charm" always felt more like a throwback to doo wop hits of the mid-fifties, or something Jackie Wilson might have cut.

Finally, given that "Good Luck Charm" (March 1962)and "She's Not You" (August 1962) came well before the 1964 "British Invasion" or the Beach Boys growing success on the charts starting in April 1963 with "Surfin' USA," it is impossible to expect either Presley single to be an "answer" to said movements.

Wed May 02, 2007 2:34 am

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 am

I should really should have said COMING Brit explosion and Beach Boys.

I am surprised that Perry Como is dismissed so readily...Magic Moments, Catch A Falling Star and Kewpie Doll are very similar to She's Not You and Good Luck Charm.

Just my opinion.

Wed May 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Both "She’s Not You" and "Good Luck Charm" are vocal masterpieces by the King. Nevertheless, it’s impossible for either one to be an answer to a coming Brit invasion. You really should check out the meaning of the word answer in the dictionary, Kiwi.

Per

Wed May 02, 2007 3:51 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Both "She’s Not You" and "Good Luck Charm" are vocal masterpieces by the King.
Nevertheless, it’s impossible for either one to be an answer to a coming Brit invasion.
You really should check out the meaning of the word answer in the dictionary, Kiwi.

I know what Alan means.

There was a massive Brit 'invasion' on the horizon.

Some catchy beat songs would soon hit the charts.

And by doing safe, smooth, unchallenging, bland, easy-listening, MOR things like She's Not You, which were more suited to Perry Como, a complacent Elvis was setting himself up for a big fall !

Wed May 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Along with Good Luck Charm these were Perry Como impersonations...not which you would expect from "The King Of Rock And Roll" and no answer to either the Brit explosion or the Beach Boys.

Both were released before the Brit explosion though. In the UK, both had hit number one before the first Beatles single was even released.

Wed May 02, 2007 7:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:A classic slice of early sixties pop, yet you never hear it on the radio ...

Well, most of the songs from the 1950s and early 1960s are disappearing from "oldies" radio formats, as the demographic for such audiences is considered by sales to be shifting to a younger group -- in other words, these folks think that crowd is getting too old. So now your "oldies" radio is a mix of hits from the late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Isn't that wonderful?

"She's Not You" is one of the highlights of Elvis' March 1962 sessions, although it does seem to be less noticed than others from the era. Here, Elvis tackles a classic Patsy Cline-styled pop ballad, from the arrangement to the lyrics, and does a fantastic job, as usual.

Elvis did bring "She's Not You" into rehearsals in 1973 and 1974, but it never made it into the set list, which is a shame. It would've been an excellent selection to revive.

KiwiAlan wrote:Along with Good Luck Charm these were Perry Como impersonations...not which you would expect from "The King Of Rock And Roll" and no answer to either the Brit explosion or the Beach Boys.

Smooth balladeer Como really isn't a part of either song.

As noted above, "She's Not You" evokes Patsy Cline all the way. Her singles were hot on the country charts in that time period, and she even had a top twenty pop hit with "She's Got You" (February 1962). Elvis used many of the same musicians and the same studio to cut his recording.

"Good Luck Charm" always felt more like a throwback to doo wop hits of the mid-fifties, or something Jackie Wilson might have cut.

Finally, given that "Good Luck Charm" (March 1962)and "She's Not You" (August 1962) came well before the 1964 "British Invasion" or the Beach Boys growing success on the charts starting in April 1963 with "Surfin' USA," it is impossible to expect either Presley single to be an "answer" to said movements.

Doc hit it. Nothing more to add, except that this song has touches of dean martin style. You know, that style of making it sound simple is indeed a lost art. Elvis sang it so well that it seems easy, but in reality the control over his voice is amazingly perfect. Perfect review Doc.

Wed May 02, 2007 10:29 pm

TJ wrote:

Both were released before the Brit explosion though. In the UK, both had hit number one before the first Beatles single was even released.

EDIT - Sorry, now read the whole thread and seen this point was already made twice. :)

Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 pm

ColinB wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:Both "She’s Not You" and "Good Luck Charm" are vocal masterpieces by the King.
Nevertheless, it’s impossible for either one to be an answer to a coming Brit invasion.
You really should check out the meaning of the word answer in the dictionary, Kiwi.

I know what Alan means.

There was a massive Brit 'invasion' on the horizon.

Some catchy beat songs would soon hit the charts.

And by doing safe, smooth, unchallenging, bland, easy-listening, MOR things like She's Not You, which were more suited to Perry Como, a complacent Elvis was setting himself up for a big fall !

Thank you, Colin.

That is exactly what I meant.

These were not the songs one associate with the Elvis Presley...the Rebel...the King of Rock and Roll. These only illustated how far Elvis was from the current music scene...these were throwbacks to the Perry Como 50's. Sure they are pleasant and well sung and both are favorites of mine but they were "Elvis as we know it".

Still they are a link between the rockin' 50's and the final sell out from 1972.