Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis playing Bass on Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Billy Smith said in the book Revelations From The Memphis Mafia that Elvis played Bass Guitar on the song Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain...and I quote
For some reason Elvis played bass on "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", Felton Bragged on him I remember"

How likely is it that this happened.... :?:

Re: Elvis playing Bass on Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 pm

well, he did play bass from time to time - didn't he play on Baby I Don't Care, when bill black couldn't get the hang of his new electric bass?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Don't know about that one - but he played bass on Baby I Don't Care when Bill Black couldn't get it right.

Reading the state he was in at the time though, doesn't seem likely. There was no mention of it in either Tunzi's Sessions Book or Jorgensens A Life In Music.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:59 pm

epfan4life wrote:Billy Smith said in the book Revelations From The Memphis Mafia that Elvis played Bass Guitar on the song Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain...and I quote
For some reason Elvis played bass on "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", Felton Bragged on him I remember"

How likely is it that this happened.... :?:

Maybe he did, or in fact jammed a bit?
He could more or less play it, or at least the basics.
But it did not end up on this 1976 record...

"Baby I don't care" featuring Elvis on bass is the only example I can think of.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Great minds Darryl - and at the same time...LOL :)

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Thank you for the replies. so if he had played bass on blue eyes than it most likely was simply jammin' and didn't wind up on recording unfortunatley..I am aware though he did play bass on baby I dont care..

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Great minds Darryl - and at the same time...LOL

Definitely!

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Certainly sounds like Elvis playing bass on "It's Still Here" to me, as well as piano.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Certainly sounds like Elvis playing bass on "It's Still Here" to me, as well as piano.

Can you tell us where you heard this from please?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 pm

A photo is said to exist, of Elvis playing bass at the 1976 Graceland sessions... No, I haven't seen it myself...

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:A photo is said to exist, of Elvis playing bass at the 1976 Graceland sessions... No, I haven't seen it myself...

I've heard the same thing. A member memphis77 from the Kings Court forum has it he said...paid somewhere around 200 dollars for the photos i believe. They would be worth it...to see such photos!!

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:20 am

I've wondered if Billy mistook bass when it was actually piano.

It's one of the songs Elvis played on piano on the morning of 8/16. And, in the version on Jungle Room sessions, the piano playing sounds like Elvis' style, and there's a pretty good clunker near the end.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 am

If Ernst has heard all the multi-tracks from Graceland 1976, and Elvis' bass playing is not on there, that might be a reason he has never mentioned it.

Elvis also played Fender bass on August 27, 1965, "Mohair Sam" and "I Feel Fine," among others.

elvisjock wrote:It's one of the songs Elvis played on piano on the morning of 8/16.

Are you sure about that?

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:It's one of the songs Elvis played on piano on the morning of 8/16.

Are you sure about that?

Billy Smith says Elvis played Unchained Melody and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain on the piano in the racquetball court the morning he died.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Scott wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Billy Smith says Elvis played Unchained Melody and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain on the piano in the racquetball court the morning he died.

But the Doc has read all the books.

Billy Smith hasn't.

He was just there.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Priscilla said said the same thing as Billy, on her 1984 Graceland special.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 pm

epfan4life wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:A photo is said to exist, of Elvis playing bass at the 1976 Graceland sessions... No, I haven't seen it myself...

I've heard the same thing. A member memphis77 from the Kings Court forum has it he said...paid somewhere around 200 dollars for the photos i believe. They would be worth it...to see such photos!!

Has anyone here seen those Jungle Room photos?

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:02 pm

elvisjock wrote:Priscilla said said the same thing as Billy, on her 1984 Graceland special.

The Doc was nearer to Graceland than Priscilla was on that day.................

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:29 pm

ColinB wrote:
Scott wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Are you sure about that?

But the Doc has read all the books.

Billy Smith hasn't.

He was just there.

I think I will take Billy Smith's word on that then...you know.,..since....he was actually there that morning. :lol:

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
epfan4life wrote:

Has anyone here seen those Jungle Room photos?

I haven't but would sure love too...if they are actually real....

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Are you sure about that?

I'm sure.
Please listen to the following audio file taken from the original Graceland tour guide recording.

http://www.elvispresleyscrapbook.co.uk/stuff/tour.mp3

No need to thank me, but if you are saying otherwise I can't trust you on this one either Doc :lol: :wink:

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Scott wrote:Billy Smith says Elvis played Unchained Melody and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain on the piano in the racquetball court the morning he died.

Why oh why did he play such substandard and worn out material at home? Someone should have supplied him with some fresh rocker!

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 pm

kuenzer wrote:
Scott wrote:Billy Smith says Elvis played Unchained Melody and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain on the piano in the racquetball court the morning he died.

Why oh why did he play such substandard and worn out material at home?!

Maybe thats just what appealed to him.....

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Priscilla was at Graceland that morning. That's a new one.

There may be some verifiable performances from 8-16-77, but not those mentioned.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for clarifying that Priscilla was at Graceland that morning. That's a new one.

There may be some verifiable performances from 8-16-77, but not those mentioned.

Doc has a point, don't see how reliable Priscilla's word would be when backing Billy up as she wasn't there that morning. But I do believe Billy !