More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Jove
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Elvis Presley and the Cold War

Post by Jove »

"How We Forget the Cold War" a new book by Jon Wiener
Publisher: University of California Press; 1 edition (October 15, 2012)

Excerpts from the book :
Elvis was the king of rock and roll and the star of 33 Hollywood films, and he’s also America’s most famous Cold War veteran. In 1958–60, he served in Germany in a tank unit during the Berlin Crisis. The East Germans regarded Elvis as a problem they had to counter; the U.S. military regarded him as an opportunity they could exploit. Elvis mattered—a lot—to both sides in the Cold War. Missing from this picture: Elvis himself. We have the official PR story, but his own view is hardly known. What we do know about it is fascinating, significant, and surprising.

Elvis was drafted in March 1958, assigned to a tank division—the one formerly headed by Patton—and sent to Germany. American tanks were there—thousands of American tanks—to stop thousands of Russian tanks from pouring through the famed Fulda Gap, a flat corridor between mountain ranges at the border between East and West Germany. Hannibal had invaded through the Fulda Gap. Napoleon and Patton had taken the same route. American strategists said the Red Army could do it, too, coming through the Fulda Gap to take Frankfurt, the financial capital of West Germany, and then all of Western Europe. As one tank commander explained, “We stop ’em here or not at all.” Stopping them was Elvis’s mission. The mission gained intensity after November 1958, when Elvis was on maneuvers in Grafenwöhr and Khrushchev issued an ultimatum giving the U.S. six months to agree to withdraw from Berlin. Thus began the Berlin Crisis.

During those years, Elvis loomed large in official East German thinking about the Cold War. The East German leaders described him as a threat—the country’s defense minister, Willi Stoph, declared that Elvis’s rock and roll was “a means of seduction to make the youth ripe for atomic war.” In April 1959, East German Communist Party leader Walter Ulbricht told a cultural conference that it was “not enough to reject the capitalist decadence with words, to ... speak out against the ecstatic ‘singing’ of someone like Presley. We have to offer something better.”

What they came up with was the Lipsi. It was an officially promoted dance, offered as an alternative to Elvis’s rock and roll. Time magazine in 1959 described the Lipsi as “a sort of double-time waltz” in which “the dance steps themselves looked like a mixed-up rumba, laced with old-fashioned open steps that led to a kind of shimmying amble.” What made the Lipsi preferable for East German officials was that it was a couples dance rather than what they termed an “open dance.” In the Lipsi, the man led and the woman followed, while rock-and-roll dancing did not require women to follow the male lead and thus promoted more gender equality and permitted more sexual expressiveness by women on the dance floor. In the East German dance halls of the official youth organization FDJ, there were signs on the dance floor stating “dancing apart is forbidden.” But in spite of enormous propaganda efforts, the Lipsi didn’t replace Elvis.

Indeed, youthful protesters in East Germany chanted Elvis’s name. In 1959 groups of adolescents in Leipzig marched downtown with a call-and-response chant:

Call: “Long Live Walter Ulbricht!”
Response: “Pfui, pfui, pfui!”
Call: “Long live Elvis Presley!”
Response: “Ja, ja, ja!”

Similar demonstrations by “Presley admirers” were reported in 1959 in Dresden and 13 other East German cities and towns. The Leipzig authorities cracked down in the summer and fall of 1959, sentencing 15 demonstrators to prison sentences of six months to four and a half years.
DEU Elvis Jahrestag Zeitzeugen

The East German establishment view of Elvis was not so different from the American establishment view—he was crude, primitive, and potentially dangerous as an influence on young people. But Western military officials did not share that view; instead they were eager to exploit Elvis’s popularity to build support for NATO among German youth.

The most striking of these efforts came in April 1959 in the town of Steinfurth, where Elvis was enlisted by the American military “to help overcome widespread German unease over the rearmament of West Germany.” Elvis posed for pictures working on the construction of a World War I memorial dedicated (in German of course) to “Heroes 1914–1918.”

Why was Elvis honoring German soldiers of World War I? The U.S. believed that Europe could not be defended against a Soviet attack without West German military participation, but the German Social Democratic Party opposed West German rearmament, and many in West Germany were not reconciled to the U.S. military presence. The unease was widespread in West Germany, and it had several sources. Some of it, historian Frank Biess explains, was simply pacifism. But resistance to rearmament also had a nationalist basis: many veterans wanted a new German army, but not under American and NATO auspices. And Germans also had a sense that German soldiers would not make any difference in a potential nuclear war between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. They also suspected that they might be used simply as cannon fodder by the Americans.

So the U.S. undertook a variety of projects to convert the Germans to the American mission, and one key effort consisted of public events at which the U.S. Army honored the German armies of the past. Eisenhower himself led this effort, declaring that he had “come to know that there is a real difference between the regular German soldier and officer and Hitler and his criminal group.” West Germany established an official day of mourning for the dead of two world wars, and part of the American military strategy in Germany was to publicly participate in official memorial observances and to “treat Germany’s war dead with the same respect accorded to U.S. soldiers.” Thus, the U.S. Army sent its most famous soldier to advance the cause of winning Germans to the American Cold War project.

Of course one thing was missing from the culture clash over Cold War Elvis: Elvis himself. The official story, put out by the Elvis PR machine, was—as Elvis himself dutifully told the press—that he felt “sincere gratitude” for “what this country has given me. And now I’m ready to return a little. It’s the only adult way to look at it.” America gave Elvis the freedom to become a rock-and-roll star; now it was time for him to help protect that freedom.

But it turns out that Elvis himself had some questions about all of this. William J. Taylor Jr. was Elvis’s lieutenant and wrote a book about it. Taylor is no ordinary fan-book author—he has a Ph.D. in international relations and today is a senior adviser in the National Security Program of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. He’s published 17 books, including American National Security: Policy and Process, now in its sixth revised edition. He also wrote Elvis in the Army.

As Taylor tells the story, during a break in the war games, Elvis posed the big question: “Lootenet, what’s goin’ on in the world?”

“Our butts could be ordered into combat at any minute,” Taylor replied. But, he added, Germany was not really a Russian target. The next Korean War would begin somewhere in the Third World, not at the Fulda Gap. But, Taylor told Elvis, they might have to fight the Soviets in Germany anyway, because Kennedy wanted to sound “tough.”

Elvis replied, “Well, he can sound tough if he wants to, but I’m tellin’ you that most people I know don’t want any more Korean War kind of stuff. I mean goin’ around the world and gettin’ killed because some politician wants to show how tough he is.”

Finally Elvis asked his lieutenant, “What the hell are we doin’ this for anyway?”

The answer he got was the conventional one: “deterrence.” But it’s not the answer here that’s significant, it’s the question—posed by Elvis about the American troop presence in Germany: “What the hell are we doin’ this for anyway?” Sometimes the hardest thing is not to know the right answer, but to ask the right question. Elvis did.

Another officer who served in Germany with Elvis, and who later asked a similar question, was Colin Powell. He wrote in his 1995 autobiography My American Journey about his time with the Third Armored Division in Germany in 1958–60 as a 21-year-old second lieutenant, participating in the training exercises at the Fulda Gap at the same time Elvis was. He understood some of the big picture: “Every piece of artillery, every machine gun, rifle, mortar, tank, and antitank weapon in our division was intended to hit the Russians the moment they came pouring through the gap.”

At this point in his narrative, Powell asked the crucial question: “Why would the Russians be coming?”

Hardly any Americans asked that question in 1958. Indeed, hardly any historians asked it subsequently, so Powell gets credit for asking. His answer: “I did not know; the answer was above my pay grade.” At the time he wrote these sentences, the author had been national-security adviser to the president and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, so the question wasn’t above his pay grade in 1995, when he wrote the book. But he still didn’t have an answer.

Was it really necessary for anyone, including Elvis, to prepare to fight a tank battle with the Russians at the Fulda Gap in 1958? That question was posed at the time not just by Elvis, but by two of the most distinguished political thinkers of the era. A year before Elvis went to Germany, George Kennan went to England. The famed architect of the containment doctrine delivered the Reith lectures on the BBC. He favored demilitarization of both East and West Germany, and indeed all of Eastern and Western Europe, because it was “far more desirable on principle to get the Soviet forces out of Central and Eastern Europe than to cultivate a new German army for the purpose of opposing them while they remain there.” Today Kennan’s proposals seem obviously right.

Elvis went home from Germany in March 1960; a year later Walter Lippmann went to Moscow—to interview Nikita Khrushchev, “mostly on Berlin.” Lippmann was the premiere political columnist and commentator of the era. Khrushchev told Lippmann there had to be an all-German peace treaty that included a new status for Berlin. Without that, he feared that the West Germans would drag America into a war to recover territories in East Europe they lost in World War I. Khrushchev was determined to seek a solution to the German question, Lippmann concluded, even though he “dreaded the tension” and hoped for an accommodation. Despite the “relentless determination” of the Soviets to promote revolution in the Third World, Lippmann concluded, they were definitely “not contemplating war” in Germany and were “genuinely concerned to prevent any crisis.”

Walter Lippmann, George Kennan, and Elvis: Cold War skeptics, together at last.

Two more recent voices can be added to that company. President George W. Bush and his national-security adviser Condoleezza Rice released a statement on Sept. 17, 2002—just a year after the 9/11 attacks—declaring that “in the Cold War ... we faced a generally status quo, risk-averse adversary.”

That suggests Elvis asked the right question about the Cold War: “What the hell are we doin’ this for anyway?”

image taken from http://elvisnachrichten.de

Scratch me now a little lower

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Presley and the Cold War

Post by norrie »

Great post and if Elvis really did say:
Elvis replied, “Well, he can sound tough if he wants to, but I’m tellin’ you that most people I know don’t want any more Korean War kind of stuff. I mean goin’ around the world and gettin’ killed because some politician wants to show how tough he is.”
I never thought that Elvis had any real views on such matters but I like him all the more for saying it.

Also in the great pictures you provided he does have a look that says I'm being used here
norrie

Elvis in Atlanta 76'
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by Elvis in Atlanta 76' »

“Our butts could be ordered into combat at any minute,” Taylor replied. But, he added, Germany was not really a Russian target. The next Korean War would begin somewhere in the Third World, not at the Fulda Gap. But, Taylor told Elvis, they might have to fight the Soviets in Germany anyway, because Kennedy wanted to sound “tough.”

Yeah Kennedy wasnt even the president in 1958-1960 LOL that just reeks of plain old bull sh*t

Scott

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Elvis in Atlanta 76' wrote:“Our butts could be ordered into combat at any minute,” Taylor replied. But, he added, Germany was not really a Russian target. The next Korean War would begin somewhere in the Third World, not at the Fulda Gap. But, Taylor told Elvis, they might have to fight the Soviets in Germany anyway, because Kennedy wanted to sound “tough.”

Yeah Kennedy wasnt even the president in 1958-1960 LOL that just reeks of plain old bull sh*t

Scott

Good spot Scott,I was reading too much into what was being said to check the dates.Bullsh*t right enough

Topic author
Jove
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Jove »

Good one, Scott. Maybe he just included the Elvis chapter to help sell his book.

Scratch me now a little lower

latebloomer
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by latebloomer »

Elvis in Atlanta 76' wrote:
Scott

Scott
Elvis in Atlanta 76, Scott: The passage above is a rather isleading paraphrase of a portion of Taylor's excellent book, which appears on page 127 and 128. At the time when Taylor and Elvis and several other men were speaking about the situation around them and to come, John F. Kennedy was a candidate for the presidency; it was his campaign stance and its ramifications if he were elected which was under discussion.

You unjustly maligned one or both of the authors named above by claiming that either of them added Elvis' name to their book just to sell copies.

Taylor's excellent book, "Elvis In the Army" is about his acquaintance with Presley during the seven months both of them were attached to the 3rd Armored Division at Ray Barracks in Germany. I received my copy of it to days ago, and read it in one sitting. Taylor was an excellent officer, in my judgment (I'm a Cold War Army brat, Navy veteran, and wife of a Navy veteran; both my Dad and my husband were career NCOs), and has written the finest description I've ever read of the international political situation during the late '50s -- a situation I lived through -- and a fascinating account of his observations of Elvis as a soldier and a human being. I did not find a single false note in the entire book, and heartily recommend it not only to Elvis' fans who'd like to know more about his years in Germany, but also to students of the international situation during 1958-1960.

Please don't jump to the conclusion that someone has acted solely for his own personal gain or aggrandizement without checking facts first.

And do have a look at Taylor's book! It's very interesting, hilarious in spots, and very informative. Jon Wiener's book sounds very interesting, too.

latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

It's a wonderful book. He's not what you think; he's very conservative, and totally dedicated to his military career. He knew NOTHING about music, and likely never did. You have to read the book to see why; it's kinda funny, actually. He'd been raised for the career, and Elvis was a novelty to him, but he liked him - and that's why he wrote the book. It made him no money. The one really annoying thing in the book, to me, is the way he has Elvis pronouncing "Lieutenant": "Lootenet," as if he were Forrest Gump. Irritating. But the guy had no idea where this "Tupelo" was.

When Elvis spoke knowedgeably about world events, he was genuinely surprised, because of what he thought was his "limited education." (Don't have the exact quote, but that's the size of it.) Taylor was an upper middle-class boy destined for a military career as an officer, who found himself in close contact with his opposite. (The guy could probably had tried for film rights, if he wanted to actually cash in. But, then again, there's no scandal in this book. At all. I repeat: NO scandal.)

It does indeed give you a look inside the Cold War, at a crucial time - just before the Berlin Crisis. And just a few years before Vietnam became a ground war. (From the Pentagon Papers, you'll realize we were already involved in what Taylor calls "Indochina." In fact, it almost gives you an inkling as to why Eisenhower made that rather surprising Farewell Address.)

This was no big "hit" or anything; it's a genuine memoir, but there is no "Elvis chapter" since it's about Elvis in the Army -- just a mostly sweet reminiscence, without being saccharine. He just wanted to tell the world about this nice, intelligent boy who was so different than himself. Sometimes, you get the feeling that he maybe wrote it for the other gentlemen who served with them at the time - the guys who showed up at the '79 reunion when one was missing because he had died (Elvis Presley). When he shows Elvis not drinking or smoking, here, you truly believe it; it's not hagiography. He says he knew nothing about the amphetamines. (He brushes that off in a sentence, and never mentions it again. Maybe he's being completely open, or maybe it's something about that time he'd rather not address. He was there with Elvis in the cold and snow and ice.) He didn't have to do do this book at all, since he has a career of which he can be most proud. If you look at his credentials, that should be most clear.

And yes, it was a time of transition - Eisenhower was a lame duck at a sticky time in history, and Kennedy looked like the most obvious serious candidate on the horizon. (Adlai Stevenson had already lost twice. Johnson tried, as did Humphrey, but Kennedy was in a good position, and he was one of those people who are "up and comers": you can tell someone is "going places." Think Barack Obama at the 2004 Democratic Convention.) And after 8 years of one party, it was quite likely there'd be a change, especially since there was a recession at the time. Kennedy was not only a possibility, but a probability. The only thing that held him back was his religion, but that worked itself out. (Interestingly, it turned out to be a very close election.) Those in the military were concerned about how the candidates, the ones most likely to actually win in 1960, were seeming to approach their issues.

But it is a matter of memory, so for all we know, he might have said "Humphrey" or whomever, and then forgot all about them. But do remember that Kennedy had always positioned himself as the "tough" guy, and was actually quite friendly with the man who would become his opponent, Vice-President Richard Nixon. Their views were not yet very far apart at all. (That had changed by 1963, but that's another story.)

This is really a tiny passage in the book, however revelatory it now seems. I don't think the guy thought anyone would think that much about it. More interesting to people here, if not about the world stage, is the night of "Peanut Butter and Burnt Fingers." (You will have to get the book!)

But, trust me, this guy is no peacenik! Heavens no!

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Army-King-Officer-Served/dp/0891415580

If you must choose between this, and that new Nick Adams book: get this one. I promise you, it's the right choice! ;)

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

latebloomer
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by latebloomer »

Pardon us, but I think rjm and I both have run rather roughshod over Jon Wiener's book, "How We Forget the Cold War". I think rjm was praising Taylor's bok, "Elvis in the Army", as I was, but I'd like to find a copy of Wiener's, too. He brings up Elvis' connection to the European situation at the end of the '50s in a way Taylor does not (it was a bit above his pay grade; he was only a Lieutenant), but his reasoning makes sense and accounts for some of the peculiar things Elvis got sucked into that nothing else has seemed to explain.

The Berlin Crisis (4 June to 9 November 1961) was only brewing while Elvis was overseas, but he would have made an excellent pawn on the board, something that never would have ccurred to me.

Wiener's book, though probably very different fromTaylor's, sounds as if it, too, must be a very good read.

latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

latebloomer wrote:Pardon us, but I think rjm and I both have run rather roughshod over Jon Wiener's book, "How We Forget the Cold War". I think rjm was praising Taylor's bok, "Elvis in the Army", as I was, but I'd like to find a copy of Wiener's, too. He brings up Elvis' connection to the European situation at the end of the '50s in a way Taylor does not (it was a bit above his pay grade; he was only a Lieutenant), but his reasoning makes sense and accounts for some of the peculiar things Elvis got sucked into that nothing else has seemed to explain.

The Berlin Crisis (4 June to 9 November 1961) was only brewing while Elvis was overseas, but he would have made an excellent pawn on the board, something that never would have ccurred to me.

Wiener's book, though probably very different fromTaylor's, sounds as if it, too, must be a very good read.
Yes, sorry about that. I haven't read Jon Wiener's book, so I concentrated on Taylor's. I'm going to go over to amazon right now, and check it out. (Hope I can Kindle it.)

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, these are two different books; one (Taylor's) is used as a research source in another.

Found it:http://www.amazon.com/How-Forgot-Cold-War-Historical/dp/0520271416/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357368720&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Jon+Wiener+%22How+We+Forget+the+Cold+War%22

Kind of pricey! Better be good.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64