Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Greatest Opening to an Elvis film was...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:33 pm

ROUSTABOUT - Always loved that film but I don't know why

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm not much of a fan of the 1960s "travelogues" (as Elvis referred to them) so....I'm going to go for the two final documentaries, "Elvis: TWWII" (Original & SE) & "Elvis On Tour" (Original film - not the DVD).

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 pm

im adding roustbout to :D

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm

greystoke wrote:The opening of King Creole is particularly well done -- great shot composition, good staging and a fine musical performance. It's very atmospheric and helps establish a feeling for time and place. As does the beginning of The Trouble With Girls, both from the use of a voice-over and a switch from black & white to colour, which reflects the vibrancy brought to dreary, small town life, by the chataqua.

The scenery and ariel shots at the beginning of Stay Away, Joe are appealing because of the natural beauty on display. One of the film's only assets, if not its sole redeeming feature. The same can be said of Flaming Star's credit sequence, which leads to an opening scene that establishes a sense of community and family values, albeit with a false sense of security. Terrific in its simplicity.

Additionally, the first scene of Jailhouse Rock, which is tantamount to mise en scene, establishes Vince's love of money, a character trait that permeates throughout the film as his success increases at the cost of morals and ethics. In Wild in the Country, Glen Tyler is first seen battling with his elder brother as their father looks on with some amusement. Until Glen takes the upper hand. It's almost feral, with a survival of the fittest mentality, but most telling is Glen, literally, running away from his past. Again, this establishes the film's narrative, and Glen, as a character, who frequently runs away from his problems, until encouraged to confront them.

All good opening scenes, although, a variance in the quality of films that follow thereafter. But, given the staging, the musical performance and Russell Harlan's terrific cinematography, I would choose the opening scene of King Creole as my favourite, and, perhaps, the most effective opening scene of any Elvis picture.

Agreed. JHR and KC were the first to come to my mind too. Especially KC - Michael Curtiz at his finest! Sheer class :D

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 pm

1. King Creole
2. Viva Las Vegas

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:12 pm

california boy wrote:I like lots of opennings ...but i would like to mention also the following that no one mention:
1. FUN IN ACAPULCO - great views of Acapulco, makes you wanna go on a vacation , as we all need very often i guess ;)
:smt006

I'd say it's the biggest disappointment: first you got really beautiful scenery of Acapulco, you're thinking: "It'll be great movie!", and then - BAM! you're in the Paramount Studio lot with fake beach and poor back projection... :(

el_idolo_de_acapulco_1963.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Stay Away Joe is really good with the guitars slowly fading in for the song. Very nice cinematography with the canyons.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Stay Away Joe is really good with the guitars slowly fading in for the song. Very nice cinematography with the canyons.

Yes i love that openning too :) beautiful

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 pm

The opening credits for "CHARRO" was great to see on the big screen ,stylish, with a great theme song to compliment , fading to live action , Elvis riding horse into town..... a shame the rest of the film did not live up to this.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:01 pm

3- ttwii se
2- viva las vegas
1- king creole

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Always loved the beginning of 'Girl Happy'.

From the beaches of Fort Lauderdale to that snowy Chicago scene focusing in on the billboard of Rusty (Elvis) and his combo and into the title song.

Andy