Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Greatest Opening to an Elvis film was...

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I know it's close to the being Elvis worst production but I say "Tickle Me" was -

phpBB [video]

Also, King Creole and Stay Away Joe featured good openers. What do you think ?

Re: Greatest Opening to an Elvis film was...

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Awesome !!!

"Tickle Me" still remains one of my fav Elvis Presley films.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:47 pm

I like "King Of The Whole Wide World" as an opener in Kid Galahad.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Jamba wrote:I like "King Of The Whole Wide World" as an opener in Kid Galahad.

Yes. That's good too. I forgotten about that one. Thanks for reminding me.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 pm

If only... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=60nI03Umrfg#t=16s

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm

hmm I'd say Tickle me, and Paradise Hawaiian Style the scene in the airplane which is great fun.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Viva Las Vegas, with the aerial view of Vegas and neon lights and the great music playing.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Id like to say -
TTWII - with all the glamor lights of marquee on opening shots of film -(As seen on new edition dvd ) - I love all eras and consider this one to be one of the very best - Elvis rocks on Opening song -Mystery Train /Tiger man on Opening Credits of film -
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 am

I have to go with Loving You.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 am

Wild In The Country.

It goes from the beautiful scenes of the countryside and wildlife to Red getting has ass kicked in the barn.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 am

The opening of King Creole is particularly well done -- great shot composition, good staging and a fine musical performance. It's very atmospheric and helps establish a feeling for time and place. As does the beginning of The Trouble With Girls, both from the use of a voice-over and a switch from black & white to colour, which reflects the vibrancy brought to dreary, small town life, by the chataqua.

The scenery and ariel shots at the beginning of Stay Away, Joe are appealing because of the natural beauty on display. One of the film's only assets, if not its sole redeeming feature. The same can be said of Flaming Star's credit sequence, which leads to an opening scene that establishes a sense of community and family values, albeit with a false sense of security. Terrific in its simplicity.

Additionally, the first scene of Jailhouse Rock, which is tantamount to mise en scene, establishes Vince's love of money, a character trait that permeates throughout the film as his success increases at the cost of morals and ethics. In Wild in the Country, Glen Tyler is first seen battling with his elder brother as their father looks on with some amusement. Until Glen takes the upper hand. It's almost feral, with a survival of the fittest mentality, but most telling is Glen, literally, running away from his past. Again, this establishes the film's narrative, and Glen, as a character, who frequently runs away from his problems, until encouraged to confront them.

All good opening scenes, although, a variance in the quality of films that follow thereafter. But, given the staging, the musical performance and Russell Harlan's terrific cinematography, I would choose the opening scene of King Creole as my favourite, and, perhaps, the most effective opening scene of any Elvis picture.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 am

greystoke wrote:The opening of King Creole is particularly well done -- great shot composition, good staging and a fine musical performance. It's very atmospheric and helps establish a feeling for time and place.

Yes, I love the opening to King Creole! It's always been a favorite.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 am

showfan wrote:
greystoke wrote:The opening of King Creole is particularly well done -- great shot composition, good staging and a fine musical performance. It's very atmospheric and helps establish a feeling for time and place.

Yes, I love the opening to King Creole! It's always been a favorite.

Ditto.If you didn't know already you sure know where you are with this opening scene.

norrie

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:16 am

Well, let's face it. None of them were actually stellar, were they?

Scripted:
KING CREOLE

Documentary:
TTWII or
EOT (original, not DVD) :roll:

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 am

I like the opening of Tickle Me too. BUt King Creole is stunning.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:16 am

King Creole.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 am

greystoke wrote:The opening of King Creole is particularly well done -- great shot composition, good staging and a fine musical performance. It's very atmospheric and helps establish a feeling for time and place. As does the beginning of The Trouble With Girls, both from the use of a voice-over and a switch from black & white to colour, which reflects the vibrancy brought to dreary, small town life, by the chautauqua.

<snip>

All good opening scenes, although, a variance in the quality of films that follow thereafter. But, given the staging, the musical performance and Russell Harlan's terrific cinematography, I would choose the opening scene of King Creole as my favourite, and, perhaps, the most effective opening scene of any Elvis picture.

Bullseye! :smt023

rjm ("he wore a white suit . . .")

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:59 am

For me it's Stay Away Joe... That melancholic intro that then segues into Stay Away with its awesome Elvis vocal and the beautiful scenery.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:01 am

The 1967 MGM film Double Trouble had a good Dark and atmospheric Jazzy opening that segues into the title song but the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired (excepting City by Night)

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:05 pm

the opening of elvis on tour elvis talking then johnny b :D

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm

'Elvis, That's The Way It Is'.

Brian 8)

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I have always loved the sepia tone opening of The Trouble With Girls - great images, great musical score, very seen setting and a nice narration.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:02 pm

'King Creole' for me.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 pm

1. King Creole
2. Wild In The Country (including the fight scene)
3. Stay Away Joe
4. Viva Las Vegas

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I like lots of opennings ...but i would like to mention also the following that no one mention:
1. FUN IN ACAPULCO - great views of Acapulco, makes you wanna go on a vacation , as we all need very often i guess ;)
:smt006