Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hey Jude: A new appreciation; did we underestimate it?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:08 am

JosephC wrote:How can anyone not enjoy the performance of this song? It is so casual and intimate-it's the highlight of the original LP for me.

I'd personally consider his exquisite reading of Gordon Lightfoot's Early Mornin' Rain as the definitive highlight of Elvis Now.

That said, if Elvis had had the complete lyric sheet in front of him when he cut Hey Jude, it's very debatable we would be reading tedious comments concerning his unscheduled/unfinished recording 40 years later.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 am

Although I really can't defend Elvis' version of Hey Jude as being great, I always enjoy his guitar playing on it & especially when he starts singing the final tag after the 3:30 mark, "Jude, jude, jude jude, jude juda!" And his loud guitar strumming accentuates the tag. He finally sounds impassioned & excited during those final 90 seconds. I do concur that it shouldn't have appeared on an original studio LP without further work, but it's way better than "LIFE" and a fair share of the movie songs.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Delboy wrote:Only joking........it still sucks.
::rocks

Nothing from American Sound in 1969 "sucks."

Frankly, it gets tiresome to read the constant bashing of a recording that was never intended to be released, and in fact was the last master from these fabulous sessions to see issue, in 1972 on a rag-tag RCA LP of leftovers.

"Hey Jude" by the Beatles was THE song of the year in 1968, and Elvis clearly loved it very, very much. So, on a whim, he sat down and began banging it out on piano, for his own pleasure. Like all the other work done in Memphis that winter, Presley's vocal was stunning, his tone so light and effortless, it remains a pleasure for any true fan. He was engaged. He cared about the song. And, as we all know, so soon after this would no longer be the norm.

Unlike some other tracks done in the same manner at American, producer Chips Moman knew immediately this was just an exercise for his artist. Elvis' stab at "Hey Jude" was never slated for a single A-side, B-side or LP track. But it was Elvis singing the Beatles, so tape rolled.

And that's the way it is.

"Giv'em Hell Doc! Tell'em Like It Is"...........I could have never said it better...........

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
pingpong wrote:it is an awful performance of an awful song. period.

Thank you for proving my point a second time.

Sad that there are fans who hold such narrow views.

More than your point has been proven. A statement like this proves much more.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:21 am

I hope on the future FTD's of the memphis sessions that we hear a lot more of Elvis "Hey Jude".....complete or incomplete Jams......bring them on with any and all in between the song banter. The 69 Memphis sessions are the last really GREAT ELVIS sessions. Never again did Presley attain this type of triumph with as many performances.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:14 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:I hope on the future FTD's of the memphis sessions that we hear a lot more of Elvis "Hey Jude".....complete or incomplete Jams......bring them on with any and all in between the song banter. The 69 Memphis sessions are the last really GREAT ELVIS sessions. Never again did Presley attain this type of triumph with as many performances.

Elvis had many triumphs at this time. Hey Jude isn't one of them. If this had been held until after Elvis' death and released much later, like the 1971 My Way, I would have agreed with the decision to leave it in the can.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 am

I wouldn't say "it sucks." It's not approached properly, and wasn't intended as a "recording" in 1969; it was for the pleasure of Elvis and those in the studio. They happened to leave the tape running, I guess. To me, it sounds like Elvis is sitting around a fireplace on Christmas Eve, with his guitar, and just singing one of the most popular Beatles' songs - and not thinking about "how" it sounded. It's nice to play in the dark, and yes, to strum along with. I can almost smell the marshmallows toasting over the fire.

As to how it was released, well, that was in error. Elvis just wasn't in a good groove for an album at the time. We can get mad at him now, but it was a rough year, and he just plain didn't feel like it. People go for YEARS and YEARS now, without doing an album! That is a consideration: he was under too much pressure to deliver, deliver, deliver. And in '72, he did not deliver. Kinda glad he didn't. But that left them to release anything they had on hand, because he had a contract to do so.

You know, when artists became "difficult" as labels saw it, sometimes they did release leftover crap on them, to get even for failure to "deliver."

Dylan had contract difficulties with Columbia early in the '70s, and they released "Dylan," which had covers, leftovers, etc. They did it out of meanness at the time, and that's well-known.
This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_(1973_album)

Compare:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

rjm

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:04 am

the song has la la la in it which could in the opinion of some make it a poor song.... :wink:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

it is an opinion, everyone has one, and, thank God, it makes me different to you,

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:19 am

pingpong wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

it is an opinion, everyone has one, and, thank God, it makes me different to you,

In my posts I support my opinion with facts, images, links, whatever I have time to share. Maybe you should try the same, it encourages an adult discussion.

Otherwise, you need to understand that some things are a matter of opinion; others are not. Education helps distinguish between the two. It's not complicated.

Thanks.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Correct me if I'm mistaken... But if it is indeed just an informal recording, not done with the intent of releasing it someday... Surely there wouldn't be the need for more takes? To me it looks like they tried something with it but left it, no further intention of making a master out of it. Yes, most were (long) false starts... But IMO it looks more like trying something than just sitting and playing "Hey Jude" out of the blue - which wouldn't have the need for so many tries. Possibly it came out of nowhere, the intention of recording a master appeared but ultimately scrapped. Just a theory - after all that's what's left for most of us.

Besides, as much as I don't have anything against it, I think that one of the points discussed here is that other masters were avaible for "Elvis Now", masters which were finished - and arguably better in a sense - but wouldn't be used until the following year. Plus one could say that they would fit better in "Now" than a '69 recording.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Frankly, it gets tiresome to read the constant bashing of a recording that was never intended to be released, and in fact was the last master from these fabulous sessions to see issue, in 1972 on a rag-tag RCA LP of leftovers.

"Hey Jude" by the Beatles was THE song of the year in 1968, and Elvis clearly loved it very, very much. So, on a whim, he sat down and began banging it out on piano, for his own pleasure. Like all the other work done in Memphis that winter, Presley's vocal was stunning, his tone so light and effortless, it remains a pleasure for any true fan. He was engaged. He cared about the song. And, as we all know, so soon after this would no longer be the norm.

Unlike some other tracks done in the same manner at American, producer Chips Moman knew immediately this was just an exercise for his artist. Elvis' stab at "Hey Jude" was never slated for a single A-side, B-side or LP track. But it was Elvis singing the Beatles, so tape rolled.

Perfectly said.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:28 pm

billyblues wrote:Correct me if I'm mistaken... But if it is indeed just an informal recording, not done with the intent of releasing it someday... Surely there wouldn't be the need for more takes?

As long as Elvis Presley kept singing the #1 song of 1968 in the American Sound studio, producer Chips Moman was going to keep rolling tape. Chips wasn't no country bumpkin.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Mike Eder wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Perfectly said.

Have to agree!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:28 pm

pingpong wrote:the song has la la la in it which could in the opinion of some make it a poor song.... :wink:

As Is !!!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 pm

billyblues wrote:Besides, as much as I don't have anything against it, I think that one of the points discussed here is that other masters were avaible for "Elvis Now", masters which were finished - and arguably better in a sense - but wouldn't be used until the following year. Plus one could say that they would fit better in "Now" than a '69 recording.

This is indeed the case, and one that people seem to be ignoring. When Elvis Now was compiled ALL tracks from 1971 (apart from the Christmas ones) had never appeared on an album, so they have the absolute pick of the bunch, and yet released an album that appeared to be made up of leftovers. So there was no reason at all for Hey Jude to appear on Elvis Now - this wasn't the Moody Blue scenario where there was literally nothing in the vault. It seems ridiculous that the first album of non-seasonal tracks from 1971 was also the weakest. While Fool included the awful Padre and Love Me Love the Life, it is still the stronger of the two albums. Even going back to the 1970 sessions (which were infinitely better than the 1971 ones for the most part) there were still a number of tracks that hadn't appeared on LP (Sound of Your Cry, Hundred Years from Now, Rags To Riches, Where Did They Go Lord). The live Something was still sitting in the vaults.

Hey Jude is what it is - Elvis making a half-hearted attempt at recording the Presley's classic and then abandoning it. And I agree that, had it been released posthumously, we would look at it with affection, and as an example of Elvis fooling around in the studio it's fun. But it wasn't released in that context. It was released on a full-price LP.

There were no liner notes on Elvis Now stating "we were listening to some tapes and came across Elvis jamming on Hey Jude. It's not a finished recording, but we loved it and thought you, the Presley fans, just had to hear it." Had that been the case, it would have been judged for what it was. But it was released under the guise of a completed master and so should be judged as such.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm

IMHO, I didn't like Elvis' version as a young musician, studying and learning my craft, even though I later became a "business" man, regardless, I once played this version for my wife, who is not a fan by any means, and she loved it.

My 14 year old son, who recently heard this track on Elvis radio also commented that he "liked that", when he heard it.

A 14 year old teenager in 2012, liking an Elvis cover of a classic, signature Beatles song. Very Interesting.

I recently listened to this track again in remastered form on the "Elvis Now" FTD, and even though it just doesn't quite seem to mesh in, (alot of tracks on that Lp didn't), it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

If Felton was running out of tracks or ideas, why didn't he just edit, remix or remake that fantastic, "This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You" out-take for that Lp ? Same sessions, right ?

Elvis' vocal is sublime on that track, and I don't care that we already had a "Live" version already, it would have greatly enhanced that messy album, by a long mile.

I do, however, enjoy the version that was compiled on the FTD, "Memphis Sessions".

Again, just my opinion.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Just because it has several takes doesn't mean it was a serious recording. You ever sing or play something several times, just for the heck of it? Sure.

I think we should be grateful to even have it. Thanks, Chips. "Country Bumpkin"? No, he wudn't!

rjm

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:00 pm

minkahed wrote:IMHO, I didn't like Elvis' version as a young musician, studying and learning my craft, even though I later became a "business" man, regardless, I once played this version for my wife, who is not a fan by any means, and she loved it.

My 14 year old son, who recently heard this track on Elvis radio also commented that he "liked that", when he heard it.

A 14 year old teenager in 2012, liking an Elvis cover of a classic, signature Beatles song. Very Interesting.

I recently listened to this track again in remastered form on the "Elvis Now" FTD, and even though it just doesn't quite seem to mesh in, (alot of tracks on that Lp didn't), it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

If Felton was running out of tracks or ideas, why didn't he just edit, remix or remake that fantastic, "This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You" out-take for that Lp ? Same sessions, right ?

Elvis' vocal is sublime on that track, and I don't care that we already had a "Live" version already, it would have greatly enhanced that messy album, by a long mile.

I do, however, enjoy the version that was compiled on the FTD, "Memphis Sessions".

Again, just my opinion.

that would have been a fantastic idea......beautifully sung

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 pm

It's funny what you find on the web when aimlessly browsing, and you how notice how people change their opinions so much over the years.

For example, in a review of the bootleg CD "American Rejects", the Doc wrote the following:

"Jude" simply should never have been released; the arrangement doesn't work and it's akin to someone else covering "Hound Dog" in 1957. Of course, Felton Jarvis gave it to the world on the 'Elvis Now' album anyway.

source: http://www.elvisnews.com/encyclopedia.aspx/import-list/american-rejects/9

However, by the time of this thread, the Doc was writing:

Like all the other work done in Memphis that winter, Presley's vocal was stunning, his tone so light and effortless, it remains a pleasure for any true fan. He was engaged. He cared about the song.

Would the true Doc please stand up?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:44 pm

midnightx wrote:I do agree that Elvis clearly cared about the song, and put effort into the somewhat impromptu performance. It wasn’t a planned effort and no real subsequent focus was put forth once Elvis initially laid it down. But the results are not worthy of any considerable praise either. It was a somewhat misguided approach to the song. Had Moman wanted to help shape and form a proper master, most likely the final result would have been significantly different in arrangement and execution. I have always contended that Elvis’ rendition of Hey Jude should have remained an archival curiosity. Had RCA released it for the first time as a posthumous vault-find during the early-90s reissue campaign as part of the ‘60s box set, most likely fans would have a different level of appreciation for Elvis’ version.

Perfectly stated, midnightx. That is exactly how I feel about it, too. What I hear, whether I was supposed to hear it or not, is not pleasing to the ear. The vocal is strained and does not fit Elvis whatsoever. Perhaps given more time, and another approach, Elvis would have done that classic song justice. But we have what we have, and what we have is nowhere near the masterpiece some believe it to be.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 am

Right on Dr. John. Th enegativity for a fan board is abhorent. It was a treat to hear him pushing his high register, which would all but cease,forever.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Would the true Doc please stand up?

You seldom read with care, then make baseless declarations. Will you ever learn?

That review was not written by drjohncarpenter.

As it is, the quote does not in any way contradict my posted views here on FECC.

Hope this helps!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Johnny Mild wrote:Elvis's singing is painfully flat throughout. It's interesting as a curiosity but this version was never really suitable as a top-drawer release.

You are painfully mistaken.

elvismark wrote:Right on Dr. John. The negativity for a fan board is abhorrent. It was a treat to hear him pushing his high register, which would all but cease,forever.

Thanks, man!