Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri May 09, 2003 10:47 pm

I've always liked Elvis' version of "Frankie & Johnny" ever since hearing it on the Elvis sings hits from his movies (hardy, har, har) Camden lp. I haven't heard other versions so I can't say whether Elvis' is better or worse than others. I like the jazz-blues feel of the record, and Elvis sings with a sly innuendo in his voice. He gradually builds his performance until, by the end he is singing with a rock-like aggression. So again, I like this one! I first saw this film during the 25th anniversary weekend and I found it pleasant enough. Perhaps because it's a "period piece", but I thought this film worked reasonably well, and was a bit different from the standard "Elvis movie" formula. I also enjoyed most of the songs. I think the combination of the film being a period piece, the New Orleans setting, and the dixieland-jazz and/or vaudeville musical accompaniment provided a better context for the songs, so they simply worked better. Heck even the novelty numbers came across better in this film. I would even go so far as to say that this is one of the better of the mid-60's Elvis films (which, sadly, really isn't saying much given the quality - or lack thereof -of most of the other ones).

Sat May 10, 2003 4:39 pm

The 60's era Elvis has always been my favorite. And I hate to admit it, but as bad as some of the 60's tunes were- I still enjoy them! I think that the majority of Elvis's 60's work was outstanding (contrary to popular belief). The 60's Box Set went a long way to dispell the idea that he was "done with." Love the new FTD Soundtracks!

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 4:47 pm

^yes, i just listened to From Nashville To Memphis after a while and i have to agree.

60's do rule, there was magic in that Studio B night after night.