Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

60'S ELVIS ALL OVER AGAIN!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:00 pm

After the three soundtracks, I've been pulling out all the 60's outtakes CD's as well and having an orgy of Elvis in the 60's!
How can anyone say he was downhill then?
I know THE 60'S MASTERS put him back on the map by critics. But, when you dig into these wonderful soundtrack outtakes and albums like LONG LONELY HIGHWAY, FAME AND FORTUNE and COLLECTOR'S GOLD a.o. It's heaven all over again!
I really hope more fans get their eyes and ears open for our hero during the 60's! Keep 'em coming Ernst!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:04 pm

How can anyone say he was downhill then?

Did you fall and hit your head?

NICE COMMENT DOC!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:10 pm

It's a matter of taste, of age and the ability to enjoy Elvis, no matter what period of his career!
Elvis is like good wine! There's always a year that taste good, related to the mood you're in!
Don't be so wise Doc, not always!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:14 pm

Elvis DID go downhill in the 60's.
His soundtracks may sound great now but compared to what everyone else was recording and producing at the time it was pretty poor stuff, even Elvis laughed when he was recording alot of it. Someone with Elvis' immence talent should never have recorded any of those soundtracks, there is not ONE song on ANY soundtrack in the 60's that can compare to Heartbreak Hotel, Love me e.t.c.
Elvis' soundtrack songs are good songs (most of them) but compared to what he was capable of singing they were extremely sub-standard.

Promocollector
Last edited by Promocollector on Thu May 08, 2003 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 08, 2003 11:15 pm

bajo -

Any reasonable person would disagree with that "wine" analogy.

Your over-the-top assessment of the nadir of Presley's career -- his horrible, artistically bankrupt soundtrack recordings of the mid-sixties -- required a reality check.

That I did this with a touch of humour seems to have been lost on you.

Have a good day.

DOWNHILL

Thu May 08, 2003 11:23 pm

I've always enjoyed my Elvis, even through the downhill times in the 60's!
I always looked for the highlights and I found them. Still, there were really hard times beeing an Elvis fan from '65 and onwards!
DOUBLE TROUBLE - EASY COME, EASY GO - CLAMBAKE you name it!
Still, my point was the three soundtracks mentioned and the studio outtakes CD's mentioned.
Still, it's easy to be wiser these days! But, an Elvis record, no matter which, in the 1960-65 period, actually was very popular!
Even the movies in that period served as the music video of today!
Don't change history! Things actually happened during the early 60's also!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:30 pm

Yes you are correct, things did actually happen in the early 60's also. How can we forget what must have been one of the high points in Elvis' career...Elvis singing Wooden Heart to a couple of Puppets!!

Promocollector

ARE YOU DISMISSING "HIS LATEST FLAME/LITTLE SISTER"

Thu May 08, 2003 11:35 pm

Stick to the topic! We're talking about a time in Elvis' career where he created classics like "HIS LATEST FLAME/LITTLE SISTER" along with wonderful performances like THEY REMIND ME TOO MUCH OF YOU,
ANGEL, RETURN TO SENDER, CRYING IN THE CHAPEL, MEMPHIS TENNESSEE! A.o!
We're only stating opinons and tastes!

Thu May 08, 2003 11:51 pm

Promocollector -
I agree with you in principle, but to say that there isn't any 60's soundtrack songs that can compare to Heartbreak Hotel; Love Me; ect. is a bit of an overstatement. Here's a few: Doin' The Best I Can; Wild In The Country; Can't Help Falling In love; King Of The Whole Wide World; Return To Sender; I'm Falling In Love Tonight; They Remind Me Too Much Of You; Viva Las Vegas; I Need Somebody To Lean On. If the standard of the movie songs could have stayed at this level then his reputation would not really have suffered. You also can't compare the 60's movie stuff to non-movie 50's tunes - though I will certainly concede that the 50's movie stuff was of a much higher quality. One last point: if you delve into the early 60's non-movie recordings you will find a number of performances that match - and occasionally surpass - the 50's warhorses! Take Stuck On You for example. Even though the song itself is basically a re-write (albeit a clever one) of All Shook Up, both the vocal performance and the musical backing are superior to the 50's classic.

Fri May 09, 2003 12:07 am

Pete:
Stuck on You does not surpass All Shook Up. Elvis' greatest hits had a freshness and oiginality to them. All Shook Up contained these qualities with the slapback guitar sound and the piano rhythm.
Remember, All Shook Up was the Number 1 Record of 1957 - Stuck on You failed to sell a million copies in its first run.

Mike C

wooden heart.....

Fri May 09, 2003 12:23 am

then anyone can explain me why wooden heart wass such a big hit in Europe?? :lol:

Fri May 09, 2003 12:34 am

We are discussing the quality of Elvis' soundtrack recording's in the 60's so whether Wooden Heart was a big hit in Europe is irrelevent.IMO Wooden Heart is an embarrasment when played alongside Jailhouse Rock,Crawfish,King Creole,Loving You e.t.c.

Promocollector

Hi Hisby!

Fri May 09, 2003 12:36 am

It takes wiser men to say why and how Elvis became such a world wide phenomenon!
I've always been trying to portray the ranges of songs and singles making it to no1 outside US/UK! Even top 5 entries, never making it into the US top 30!!!
In the EU, I think Elvis' popularity in the early 60's was even greater than it was in the US in the 50's! It had to do with time and how fast "news travelled" back then!
If you look at chart actions in EU in the early 60's compared to US, you'll see an overall greater admiration of him, than in the US, where historians claim he was fading.
But, it's got to do with time slide!
Where I live, Elvis didn't happen with HEARTBREAK HOTEL!
He happened two years later, at least!
You can go across the world and find all different kind of tastes and likes
of Elvis Presley! You may even find those who just liked the movies!?(I know one)
Elvis' popularity is hard to describe! We should know! It's more than 25 years now, and we're biting nails over FTD releases no one should ever have been listening to!

Fri May 09, 2003 5:45 am

Hi bajo!

I understand your appreciation for the movie soundtracks as well as Elvis' non-movie studio session work during the 60's.
My favorite song recorded by Elvis happens to be "Can't Help Falling In Love" but it has nothing to do with the fact that it was part of "Blue Hawaii".
It is Elvis at his best.
But, to compare his works during the 60's to his unparalleled, legendary masters from the 50's is, to use a word from DJC, erroneous.
There is no comparison.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Fri May 09, 2003 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 09, 2003 5:53 am

Yeah give me the "Sound Of Music " anyday compared to the Elvis Soundtracks..........NOT

:roll:

Fri May 09, 2003 5:57 am

I am enjoying these FTD soundtracks very much. Even the bad songs sound good with Elvis singing them, and there are more good songs than I remember on thes Cd's. :D

Fri May 09, 2003 6:08 am

good one, sam!

Fri May 09, 2003 7:20 am

i like the 60s
matter of fact i just played pot luck lp today
not bad album by elvis.

Fri May 09, 2003 3:01 pm

No other artist to these ears ever sounded so good even at his worst. Even the weakest or so-so material had a golden touch, which was a curse, of course.

Every once in awhile, I truly enjoy Elvis' 60s movie material (or his singing) but mostly it proves why the '68 comeback was so necessary.

Fri May 09, 2003 3:52 pm

Elvis did have the ability to get the best of out weak material, but even that couldn’t save some of the poorer soundtracks. I think the soundtracks from the early sixties, whilst not always comparable to Elvis’ best work, are much more enjoyable because more effort was put into the recording process. The songs were performed live in the studio, and Elvis’ voice was in fine shape. The stuff that was recorded in the mid sixties has a much poorer sound due to the use of backing tapes, and Elvis shows little interest in the majority of the material.

Fri May 09, 2003 5:53 pm

rockinrebel wrote:Elvis did have the ability to get the best of out weak material, but even that couldn’t save some of the poorer soundtracks.

He did ?? well one of the weakest songs ever [imo] is Frankie and Johnny, but did you ever hear Gene Vincent's recording of it ?? If you did, then you'll agree it isn't the song that is bad, but the arangements and vocal performance of Elvis ... that RCA even concidered to get this song on a 45 is a complete mystery to me ...

Fri May 09, 2003 5:59 pm

Mike C let me clarify my previous post:
All Shook Up is a bonafide classic 50's Elvis record, and I wasn't trying to put that record down at all, nor was I trying to say that Stuck On You is a better record. As a song All Shook Up is undeniably superior. But Elvis did display a more impressive set of pipes on Stuck On You in terms of vocal control and range. That's not to say his vocal performance on All Shook Up wasn't good, it's just that on SOY he was given more opportunity to "strut his stuff" so to speak. It's not a matter of better or worse/right or wrong, it's just a fact. And I personally find the musical accompaniment of SOY more interesting. In addition to Scotty Moore you also have the great Hank Garland on guitar, Bob Moore on bass (a much more accomplished bass player than Bill Black), the great Floyd Cramer on piano, and very strong drumming (by either D.J. Fontana or Buddy Harmon, I'm not sure which one it is). On All Shook Up you can barely hear Scotty, the musical accompaniment is dominated by the piano and Elvis slapping his guitar. So while SOY is clearly the inferior song, it has more to offer in terms of vocal and musical performance than ASU.
Rockinrebel: I agree with what you say, but I'd also like to add that the early 60's movie songs were overall of a much higher quality than the stuff from 64-67.

Fri May 09, 2003 6:35 pm

He did ?? well one of the weakest songs ever [imo] is Frankie and Johnny, but did you ever hear Gene Vincent's recording of it ?? If you did, then you'll agree it isn't the song that is bad, but the arangements and vocal performance of Elvis ... that RCA even concidered to get this song on a 45 is a complete mystery to me ...

Considering the rest of the material Elvis recorded for that particular soundtrack, I doubt he saw the title song as much of challenge. In the case of that particular song, I would agree that other artists have done it better, but my original point referred to the mid sixties soundtracks generally.

Fri May 09, 2003 7:54 pm

Elvis' later 60's movies and accompanying soundtracks are so embarassingly bad I can't watch or listen to them. I consider myself to be a BIG Elvis fan, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything he did. And if anyone here can look me in the eye and say they like "Plantation Rock", "There's No Room To Rhumba In A Sportscar", "Ito Eats" or "Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce"; they should run for public office.

Fri May 09, 2003 8:02 pm

Memphis Flash, funny you should trash Elvis' "Frankie and Johnny" cover.
It's rarely seen as the lowest he went.

In fact, I always liked it, especially when I first heard it on "Double Dynamite." The opening intro alone shows rare taste. He even seems to be enjoying this tune and he probably knew it was an traditional fave.

It is, after all, a classic folk-blues tune of unknown authorship and is hardly his worst tune of that era. In fact, it was one of the rare highlights of an otherwise bad soundtrack (save that bluesy number) and has some hearty singing, and bluesy, jazzy brass. It could almost have been on "King Creole" with its New Orleans flavor.