Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
Matthew wrote:Is Ernst credited on the release?

Hits of the ’70s is a very nice collection of songs, and the booklet is stunning, but it doesn’t belong on a hardcore collector’s label. If there are more releases like this one, a lot of people, including myself, will have holes in their collections. When that happens, I will lose a lot of interest in the label as a whole. My patience is already stretched quite a lot.

That is exactly why this is so worrying. Releases like these on the long term damage the FTD label. Apart from that: I am a little bit through with FTD publishing books for top prices with lots of grammar issues and releases like these where the leading duo EJ and Roger Semon fail to have final control or take responsibility. Don't get me wrong 80% of the FTD releases are top notch and I am a fierce supporter of the label but you can't say: Hits Of The 70s was Rogers release or Fashion For A King was the authors release. It is a release of FTD and FTD releases are top dollar releases - no problem there, but provide value and quality for money then. Releasing previously released track with only a great booklet obviously is far from giving quality and value for money.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:Keith Flynn has corrected me. It’s actually the version from April 25, 1977, we’re listening to. Sorry about that, I was a bit too quick.

A nonsensical choice to say the least! Does the booklet note this version, or Rapid City?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Mike S wrote:Can anyone confirm which version of My Way is included on this release?

Thanks.

It’s the version from June 21, 1977. Thanks for asking.

Keith Flynn has corrected me. It’s actually the version from April 25, 1977, we’re listening to. Sorry about that, I was a bit too quick.

No matter, I'm glad it wasn't the Aloha version - thanks for the info.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Are we certain it's not Roger singing "My Way" on this set?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Matthew wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:Keith Flynn has corrected me. It’s actually the version from April 25, 1977, we’re listening to. Sorry about that, I was a bit too quick.

A nonsensical choice to say the least! Does the booklet note this version, or Rapid City?

The booklet says nothing about which version this is. The single recorded June 21, 1977, is pictured on the back of the cover, and it’s obvious this was supposed to be the version intended for use here. In fact, the booklet doesn’t list any recording data for any songs.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

So not only was it a screwy decision to release this title at all, it appears the release is screwed up anyway!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Matthew wrote:Are we certain it's not Roger singing "My Way" on this set?

:smt003

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:19 pm

thenexte wrote:21 previously unreleased tracks (that would have likely never been released by FTD in any other context) and people are complaining? Wow! If Venus would have released them people would have jumped with joy. Just tells me how spoiled we have become. Let's enjoy the FTD label while it lasts!

I applaud your enthusiasm, thenexte!

But as others have already noted, the proposed track-list you see, is one I offered up as an example of how Hits Of The 70's could have worked on FTD.

The real one will leave you utterly perplexed, unless your name happens to be Jerry.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Matthew wrote:So not only was it a screwy decision to release this title at all, it appears the release is screwed up anyway!

I think that sums it up!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Cheer up Pete. Hits of the 70's is nothing more than Ernst and Roger favourite Hits of the 70's - subjective product, if you like. It's not meant to sound like criticism but rather they are entitled to present it anyway they want. I bet they never even considered "My Way (21-6-77)" and featuring original mono mixes on singles released in Elvis lifetime.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I notice that my "praise" for the release of Hits Of The '70's is not all that welcome. No matter. I've always taken pride in not towing this board's company line.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I notice that my "praise" for the release of Hits Of The '70's is not all that welcome. No matter. I've always taken pride in not towing this board's company line.

And we love you for it Jerry!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:38 am

JerryNodak wrote:I notice that my "praise" for the release of Hits Of The '70's is not all that welcome. No matter. I've always taken pride in not towing this board's company line.

I stuck up for it until it was revealed to be a pointless and inaccurate release.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 am

King Volcano wrote:

I stuck up for it until it was revealed to be a pointless and inaccurate release.

Yes, me too.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:14 am

Same here. I actually thought it was a worth addition to a collector as long as it had mono mixes... This kind of material fits in a collectors' label.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:24 am

Maybe people should wait until the release is out before passing judgment?

Just a thought.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe people should wait until the release is out before passing judgment?

Just a thought.

Are you saying that all of those who have posted that they have it are lying? Or just mistaken?

Brian

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:59 am

I care nothing for "mono releases" released during Elvis lifetime except those from the 1950's on a collector's label or any other label. It would have to be a total "freebie" given away with collection of "stereo" cd's and not a so called "freebie with a book" deal either (unless the book were reasonably priced).....I mean...make your own fold down.....It is not like the Beatles.....where the mono mixes are actually different mixes.....

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:03 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:I care nothing for "mono releases" released during Elvis lifetime except those from the 1950's on a collector's label or any other label. It would have to be a total "freebie" given away with collection of "stereo" cd's and not a so called "freebie with a book" deal either (unless the book were reasonably priced).....I mean...make your own fold down.....It is not like the Beatles.....where the mono mixes are actually different mixes.....

EJ and Roger don't care for them either - it seems. Shame.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe people should wait until the release is out before passing judgment?

Just a thought.

The Docs point is well made. Now that the release is out whats the answer????

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:09 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:

Just a thought.

The Docs point is well made. Now that the release is out whats the answer????

Exactly what you're seeing here: it's a nice compilation and all, but missed on FTD's point. The original LP had a few mono mixes - which you may know that is of interest to collectors and would be the sole reason to buy this one for some people - but those were removed and the usual stereo mixes are in their place, thus rendering any point about a worth release to the label or "sentimental reasons" sort of useless (after all it's not even the very same LP some listened to). "My Way"'s from April 25th, 1977, by the way.

So, basically what's being discussed. No waiting needed. I reckon that it may be a good-sounding compilation, though... But another compilation, nevertheless.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 am

But it`s indeed Hits Of The 70`s from start to finish.
I`d say the definitive compilation of Elvis`greatest songs
from this decade. You can easily listen to it from srtart to finish
without skipping one of these 49 gems.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 am

Nah, wrong "My Way" was featured.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:34 am

bpmod wrote:

Just a thought.

Are you saying that all of those who have posted that they have it are lying? Or just mistaken?

Brian

Unless I am mistaken, not a single post prior to mine includes any statement like "I bought this" or "I just gave this a listen" or "I just played the FTD album."

Read with care, Brian, otherwise you end up looking foolish, and a bit feckless.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:36 am

Robt wrote:Nah, wrong "My Way" was featured.

Why do you fret?

I'm surprised you have not yet downloaded the desired version of that classic, and inserted it in the album sequence you previously downloaded.