Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:00 am

midnightx wrote:
minkahed wrote:I mean, really, how many more releases can FTD come up with unreleased material ?

Plenty. It isn't time to turn FTD into a glorified reissue label for previously released material quite yet.

Plenty ? Really ?

Well, by all means, start listing and I don't want to see any soundboards up on that list either.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 am

minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:
minkahed wrote:I mean, really, how many more releases can FTD come up with unreleased material ?

Plenty. It isn't time to turn FTD into a glorified reissue label for previously released material quite yet.

Plenty ? Really ?

Well, by all means, start listing and I don't want to see any soundboards up on that list either.

Why not? There are some stellar soundboards that could be released via FTD; in particular some tapes from January/February 1970. Additionally, there are still 1967/1968 studio recordings to be released, loads of American Sound outtakes not officially released in stellar sound, multitracks from August 1969, multitracks from August 1970, rehearsals from summer 1970, rehearsals from March 1972, multitracks from April 1972, an additional rehearsal tape from 1973, 1976 Jungle Room recordings found via Moody Blue, spring 1977 multitracks. While FTD has clearly released a significant amount of archival material, there is still enough unreleased archival material in the vaults (along with soundboards that you oddly feel should not be part of this discussion) to produce some fine releases before heading down the road of reissues in the vein of Hits Of The 70s.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 am

minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Plenty ? Really ?

This remains to be released in order to cover Elvis Presley’s entire career:

Elvis
Elvis’ Christmas Album
The January 1957 sessions

The ’68 Comeback Special
From Elvis in Memphis
(Back in Memphis - due for release in December 1202)

Moody Blue

Love Me Tender
G.I. Blues, Vol. 2 (set for release in 2013)
Flaming Star
Kissin’ Cousins
Roustabout
Speedway
Stay Away, Joe

And, somehow, the last four soundtracks

Live material from 1956 and 1957
Hawaii 1961 benefit show
The 1968 shows?
Rehearsals from July/August 1970
Rehearsals from 1972
EOT concert
MSG concerts?
Aloha concerts?
March 1976 tour
August/September 1976 tour
November 1976 tour
Vegas December 1976
April/May 1977 tour
June 1977 tour / Elvis in Concert

As you can see, the list is damn long, and everything listed here should have priority over nonsense such as Hits of the ’70s. If FTD decide to use audience recordings, that list of live concert material will be even longer.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm

I for one wouldn’t mind FTD releasing audience recordings in certain instances. The Vegas recordings from August ’75 are quite good and due to the inclusion of various rarities certainly merit a FTD release.

Also, we need a FTD release covering one-offs like ‘Sweet Inspiration’ and 'Folsum Prison Blues' / 'I Walk The Line' from August ’70 & ‘Crying Time’ from August ’73.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I for one wouldn’t mind FTD releasing audience recordings in certain instances. The Vegas recordings from August ’75 are quite good and due to the inclusion of various rarities certainly merit a FTD release.

Also, we need a FTD release covering one-offs like ‘Sweet Inspiration’ and 'Folsum Prison Blues' / 'I Walk The Line' from August ’70 & ‘Crying Time’ from August ’73.

Neither would I, when other sources are unavailable. I have suggested to Ernst that FTD should release a 5-CD box set from August 1975.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:I have suggested to Ernst that FTD should release a 5-CD box set from August 1975.

Really? Is there enough material for that? He was only there 3 days...

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:40 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:I have suggested to Ernst that FTD should release a 5-CD box set from August 1975.

He performed five shows in those three days.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

He performed five shows in those three days.

I know there was one show on the "Request Box" CD that was pretty good sound quality... the other was barely listenable... but FTD could still make a pretty nice compilation from this period... just not sure it would be worth a 5CD set.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

All the shows come in very good sound quality, especially the last four.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Have you gotten an answer.. :wink:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm

He asked if I have the tapes. I don’t. Do you? If you have them in good sound quality, feel free to get in touch with him. This would be a worthy FTD release.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 pm

We don`t have SB`s,..my friend..what we have on import are AR`s..

I have contacted him and will let you know, Ken.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Also, we need a FTD release covering one-offs like ‘Sweet Inspiration’ and 'Folsum Prison Blues' / 'I Walk The Line' from August ’70 & ‘Crying Time’ from August ’73.

Agreed. There are some nice rarities typically only available via audience sources.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I for one wouldn’t mind FTD releasing audience recordings in certain instances.

Let's just hope they learnt from their previous effort at releasing an audience recording. You would imagine an official label would improve on a "Bootleg" release.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

With the right people at the helm, there are more interesting avenues to explore before audience recording releases should come into the equation on FTD.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm

memfisking wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:I for one wouldn’t mind FTD releasing audience recordings in certain instances.

Let's just hope they learnt from their previous effort at releasing an audience recording. You would imagine an official label would improve on a "Bootleg" release.

It depends on the source used, and also depends on what engineering tactics are used. Some fans enjoy engineering tactics such as excessive noise reduction techniques, loads of reverb, etc. So, what some assert as being inferior sounding recordings; others often rejoice in the results and sound.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Elvis was not at a performing peak in August 1975, so a 5xCD box set on Follow That Dream sounds extremely far-fetched.

If FTD chooses to go the audience-recorded route again, they should strive for performances of significance where in-line tape sources are apparently out of reach, such as February-March 1970, September 1970 or November 1970.

And, of course, complete releases of the June 19 and June 21, 1977 concerts. ;-)

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

memfisking wrote:

Which "effort" are you speaking of?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And, of course, complete releases of the June 19 and June 21, 1977 concerts. ;-)

That makes the most sense for those legendary concerts. Release a box-set of the multitracks and any audience sources so that a side-by-side comparison can be made of the magic performed on those romantic, humid 1977 June nights.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
memfisking wrote:

This one.
pittsburgh.jpg

which is inferior to this one.
auld.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 am

memfisking wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
memfisking wrote:Let's just hope they learnt from their previous effort at releasing an audience recording. You would imagine an official label would improve on a "Bootleg" release.

This one.
pittsburgh.jpg

which is inferior to this one.
auld.jpg

Well, yes and no.

Both use the same basic source (super-fan John Herman's recording), but Auld Lang Syne, the CD iteration of the original 1977 double LP bootleg (Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve) still omits some material. And the CD was also a needle-drop of a 1977 pre-release pressing of the original bootleg.

The missing material is heard on New Year's Eve, the FTD release. However, the first pressing of the FTD set apparently went out with some unchecked mastering errors.

So, a hard core fan must have both and, if so inclined, use each to create new CD-Rs of a perfect representation of the 12-31-1976 performance.

It should also be noted FTD charged a single-disc price for the double CD set.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am

Auld Lang Syne has a cut in the middle of Can`t Help Falling In Love.
On the FTD is is complete. But on the FTD some dialogue is cut which
is on ALS (compare before e.g. Are You Lonesome Tonight)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 am

ElvisSellers : : Rockin' Rebel: is one of our great contributors here for many years, and Elvis-Fan /Brad has also made his mark. Both, like myself, seem to have less time these days but certainly look in on occasion.

Smiles and sighs aside, anyone who didn't just show up here in 2011 knows that the server problem means that the long-timers all show the same date in 2003, (apparently) long before you got here.

To the thread's point, I respect Rebel's interest in the somewhat controversial "Hits of the '70's" FTD retread. Like him, I enjoyed seeing the Camden titles getting a big digital release some years back, despite the naysayers here. I also agree with Rebel that THIS IS ELVIS and and other posthumous titles have a lot of personal connection for fans who enjoy the song groupings of these albums. From the album titles, to the album covers to the flow of the songs, many fans were groomed on these exact titles, whatever their demerits.

Let's face it: the personal connection (nostalgia, rabid fandom, etc.) long ago exceeded any rational need for any of these new FTD titles (be they soundboards or outtakes and rehearsals) to ever see the light of day. So we are united in in Elvis Presley' s music, albeit with many different points of interest. Given the mammoth FTD catalog by this date, it all works for me, particularly as we've already seen a few do-overs and re-visits and deletions of even the once nearly-perfect FTD catalog.

That said, I do share the concern of Midnightx and others that FTD has prematurely lost their mission statement a bit. But as others have said, in the big picture, all told, it's not a big deal and presumably meets some kind of demand within the already relatively-tiny hard-core fan base. Moreover, FTD is also a commercial enterprise, as well as a hobby horse for fans and, yes, the producers. Let's hope it's part of an occasional "one-off" of titles that meant a lot to many an Elvis fan but otherwise are quite are mainly exercises in nostalgia on a very personal level for some fans.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:ElvisSellers : : Rockin' Rebel: is one of our great contributors here for many years, and Elvis-Fan /Brad has also made his mark...

GregoryJr. : : Very touching.
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To the thread's point...

If you could... > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73088#p1094690

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:ElvisSellers : : Rockin' Rebel: is one of our great contributors here for many years,

Absolutely. Reading his postings has always been a great pleasure for me for years now... ::rocks