Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Friends,

I just read that the Elvis in Concert in october has no more avalible seats. It's sold out. They programmed a new show for the next day.

Here's the link.

http://guia.folha.com.br/shows/1095107- ... xtra.shtml

Is he the king or what?

I'll will be there in the two days.

Jaime

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 pm

That's right Jaime! Sold out!

In Sao Paulo, tickets sold so fast that an extra concert had to be arranged. And the second show sold too fast!

There's still tickets for the concert in Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia. I will attend the 4 concerts! :D :D

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Good news for you guys.
How big are these arenas?

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Robert wrote:Good news for you guys.
How big are these arenas?


I think the arena in Sao Paulo it's about 11.000 seats.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:20 am

I`m sure you will enjoy the shows, but the smaller venue the better.........to me it seems that the sound system they use is better for smaller venues. In March I was at the O2 Arena(London) and Wembley Arena(London), but last also at the smaller Forum Copenhagen and I will say that the sound was quite a lot better in Copenhagen.......guess it was due to the smaller building.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm

On October 8th and October 9th, the concert will be held on Ibirapuera Gymnasium:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 pm

In Rio de Janeiro, the concert will be held on Maracanazinho and in Brasilia is Nilson Nelson Gymnasium which are almost the same as the picture posted above.

Without a doubt, it's going to be a tremendous success.

And we will have the Elvis Experience Brazil coming in September until November (2 months!). It will be like this:

This will be the first time that an exhibition of such size will be mounted outside the United States. The Elvis Experience will feature over 500 rare and personal items such as tools, documents and photos - most of which have never been seen outside of Graceland.

Among the items are Elvis’ red MG automobile as featured in his classic film “Blue Hawaii,” a gold plated rotary dial telephone from Elvis upstairs bedroom, and his signature white suit featured in the closing number of his 1968 television special now referred to as the "’68 Special.” One of the most recognizable items traveling from Memphis to Brazil is one of the American Eagle jumpsuits Elvis used for the 1973 “Aloha from Hawaii” television special, the world’s first LIVE televised satellite concert.


All I can say is that Brazilian fans really deserve this!

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:56 pm

The Elvis Experience Brazil will be available for the Brazilian fans during 2 months!

And I´m going to watch the 4 concerts. I could not miss them!!

I just hope we do not have a third concert in Sao Paulo. My wife will not enjoy that!! :)

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:I just hope we do not have a third concert in Sao Paulo. My wife will not enjoy that!! :)


My sister in law will not like it either! :mrgreen:

But damn it the credit card, let there be a third concert in Sao Paulo.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm

The biggest TV channel in Brazil made an interview with James Burton, Joe Guercio, Glen Hardin and Ronnie Tutt. It was aired on Sunday evening.

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6373

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Renan wrote:But damn it the credit card, let there be a third concert in Sao Paulo.


Well, my wish was my command! :mrgreen:

A third concert in Sao Paulo is already scheduled and tickets are already purchased. The demand is higher than they thought it would be. Now in Brazil, we will have 5 EIC.

October is coming soon!

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:54 pm

A shame that I won't be able to attend. Being a fan since I was 5 years old and then miss both historic attractions is sad. :(

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

.
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I lived in Brazil a total of four years, the first two between the ages of 13 and 15, the second ( and last) between the ages of 52 and 54. That's almost a forty year span, but what I noticed on my second time there was that thanks mainly to E1, which sold in excess of 100,000 copies in its first two years of release in Brazil, there is a new generation of Elvis fans in that country, not sizeable, not really sizeable but, for a long dead musician, his following is indeed a good one.

Starting in early 1957, he was amongst the top sellers of singles, EP's and albums in that country, the market for US artists there relatively small. But, in the early and mid sixties, until the arrival of the Beatles, he was ELVIS, if you know what I mean. Any movie with Elvis had its first run theatres sold out. Then, his fan base was reduced, little by little until, say, the Hawaii intelsat telecast, which was seen, ( on a 12 hour deferred broadcast), in Argentina, Brazil and incredibly, as will be seen later in this message, in Mexico.

When he passed away, interest for him increased a bit and for the next 25 years or so he kept his fan base, but had no new BIG material in the market until E1. I remember my kid's friends in jr and high school being enchanted with BOTH the sound and the content of E1 .

From 2004 to date, he again has managed from beyond the grave to keep his original fans and maintain the new ones he got after E1, so I am not surprised that he could sell out a market like Sao Paulo, very glamorous and cosmopolitan, more so than Rio, Brasilia, or any other brazilian city.

Another variable which favours Elvis, in the way he is examined in both his personal life, and as a stage performer and recording artist is concerned, is how laid back brazilians are as far as judging people, as they say, by the cover. All this BS about being vulgar, a racist, a man tormented in his last years, dying in the bathroom, in short, any negative aspect of this nature which has plagued the way the general public saw him, and sees him in practically every country in the world, DOES NOT affect his status in Brazil one tiny bit. They are too accostumed to seeing personal lives interfear with the professional lives of their own heroes to give a hoot, and to wrongly judge someone, because of it.

Incidentally, it is not an exageration to say that Presley, AT ANY OF HIS ZENITHS was not able to be, well, ELVIS, like other super starts could, can, and will be able to be themselves.

Check this out. He was banned, for invented or ludricous reasons, five of them, in fact, in

i) Africa (for being vulgar and a racist, depending, but that's 50 countries, although when Elvis was alive most were still either British, Dutch, Belgium, French, Portuguese or even Spanish territories),

ii) Mexico (the largest market in Latin America, for being (again, this was totally invented), anti-Mexican and a to top it all, a homosexual in an age where that was the worst anyone could be called, in Latin America that is. That was a HUGE, unnecesary loss to mexicans which could have been perfectly avoided, the ban being lifted only in 1971), and

iii) in the entire Soviet Bloc and Comnunist China (hey, just add another 2 HUGE countries to the mix, ten more for the Bloc as a whole and one more if you count Cuba, which EFFECTIVELY banned him in 1963), and all, for political reasons. Hear me out on the latter. The fact that at the true height of his fame, from 1958 to 1960, he served in not just the Soviet Bloc's biggest enemy outfit, the US Army (LOL) but, to make matters worse, that he did so, stationed for 17 months in the closest place, at that particular time, where a third World War could have started, in the then divided Germany, is indicative of how other countries allied to the Soviet Bloc, even those which were not located in Europe, reacted to Presley.

Summing up, I think that inspite of all of those restraints, concerns, and prejudices lasting many, many decades, Elvis is doing just fine, worldwide...
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Jaime, which did you live in Brazil?

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Renan wrote:Hi Jaime, which did you live in Brazil?


In Sao Paulo, from April 1, 1964, arriving there as a 13 year old kid, with my parents and sister (actually on the day of Mariscal Castelo Branco's coup), and leaving on December 10, 1965, after two school years there, then returning almost 40 years later, to live and work in Brasilia, with my wife AND our two boys (who also went to school there), from October 1, 2002, the day of our arrival, to April 30, 2004. My wife and kids remained in Brasilia until August of 2004. The best years of my life, for different reasons. And I've lived in 18 countries....That's a world record, for a 61 year old person, I can assure you that!! You can only achieve that, IF the father or mother as well as the son or daughter have professions calling for frequent changes of posts, and that these are all of either less than 3 years, or at the most, of 3 years and two months. Even if you have separate university schooling, as was my case, in two countries, the fact that my dad's posts were even shorter than mine (some were like a year and a half), made it possible for me to arrive at that number, at my current age. And I could have lived not in 18, but in 21 countries, but three of my posts coincided with 3 of my dad's posts, like it was the case for Brazil, for instance (LOL)

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:
Renan wrote:Hi Jaime, which did you live in Brazil?


In Sao Paulo, from April 1, 1964, arriving there as a 13 year old kid, with my parents and sister (actually on the day of Mariscal Castelo Branco's coup), and leaving on December 10, 1965, after two school years there, then returning almost 40 years later, to live and work in Brasilia, with my wife AND our two boys (who also went to school there), from October 1, 2002, the day of our arrival, to April 30, 2004. My wife and kids remained in Brasilia until August of 2004. The best years of my life, for different reasons. And I've lived in 18 countries....That's a world record, for a 61 year old person, I can assure you that!! You can only achieve that, IF the father or mother as well as the son or daughter have professions calling for frequent changes of posts, and that these are all of either less than 3 years, or at the most, of 3 years and two months. Even if you have separate university schooling, as was my case, in two countries, the fact that my dad's posts were even shorter than mine (some were like a year and a half), made it possible for me to arrive at that number, at my current age. And I could have lived not in 18, but in 21 countries, but three of my posts coincided with 3 of my dad's posts, like it was the case for Brazil, for instance (LOL)


Fantastic Jaime,

Good to know you liked Brazil. I was reading that you will be here attending two concerts. Near October, we can chat here and maybe meet before concert in the Ibirapuera Gymnasium.

Here in Sao Paulo, I live in the South side, really near the gymnasium.

Best Regards,
Renan.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Renan wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:
Renan wrote:Hi Jaime, which did you live in Brazil?


In Sao Paulo, from April 1, 1964, arriving there as a 13 year old kid, with my parents and sister (actually on the day of Mariscal Castelo Branco's coup), and leaving on December 10, 1965, after two school years there, then returning almost 40 years later, to live and work in Brasilia, with my wife AND our two boys (who also went to school there), from October 1, 2002, the day of our arrival, to April 30, 2004. My wife and kids remained in Brasilia until August of 2004. The best years of my life, for different reasons. And I've lived in 18 countries....That's a world record, for a 61 year old person, I can assure you that!! You can only achieve that, IF the father or mother as well as the son or daughter have professions calling for frequent changes of posts, and that these are all of either less than 3 years, or at the most, of 3 years and two months. Even if you have separate university schooling, as was my case, in two countries, the fact that my dad's posts were even shorter than mine (some were like a year and a half), made it possible for me to arrive at that number, at my current age. And I could have lived not in 18, but in 21 countries, but three of my posts coincided with 3 of my dad's posts, like it was the case for Brazil, for instance (LOL)


Fantastic Jaime,

Good to know you liked Brazil. I was reading that you will be here attending two concerts. Near October, we can chat here and maybe meet before concert in the Ibirapuera Gymnasium.

Here in Sao Paulo, I live in the South side, really near the gymnasium.

Best Regards,
Renan.


You must be mistaken, Renan, I agree that there'll be very little I would like better than going to Brazil to see the concerts, but I shan't be able to, nor it was I who expressed that wonderful wish.

Anyways, when I lived in Sao Paulo with my parents and sister, it was in Jardim Paulista, the whereabouts of the house as follows (take a pick !)

It was

i) half a block from Av, Sao Gabriel
ii) 2 blocks from Brigadeiro Luiz Antonio
iii) three blocks from Avenida Santo Amaro or
iv) ten bocks from Av. 9 de Julho.

Regards

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:
Renan wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:
Renan wrote:Hi Jaime, which did you live in Brazil?


In Sao Paulo, from April 1, 1964, arriving there as a 13 year old kid, with my parents and sister (actually on the day of Mariscal Castelo Branco's coup), and leaving on December 10, 1965, after two school years there, then returning almost 40 years later, to live and work in Brasilia, with my wife AND our two boys (who also went to school there), from October 1, 2002, the day of our arrival, to April 30, 2004. My wife and kids remained in Brasilia until August of 2004. The best years of my life, for different reasons. And I've lived in 18 countries....That's a world record, for a 61 year old person, I can assure you that!! You can only achieve that, IF the father or mother as well as the son or daughter have professions calling for frequent changes of posts, and that these are all of either less than 3 years, or at the most, of 3 years and two months. Even if you have separate university schooling, as was my case, in two countries, the fact that my dad's posts were even shorter than mine (some were like a year and a half), made it possible for me to arrive at that number, at my current age. And I could have lived not in 18, but in 21 countries, but three of my posts coincided with 3 of my dad's posts, like it was the case for Brazil, for instance (LOL)


Fantastic Jaime,

Good to know you liked Brazil. I was reading that you will be here attending two concerts. Near October, we can chat here and maybe meet before concert in the Ibirapuera Gymnasium.

Here in Sao Paulo, I live in the South side, really near the gymnasium.

Best Regards,
Renan.


You must be mistaken, Renan, I agree that there'll be very little I would like better than going to Brazil to see the concerts, but I shan't be able to, nor it was I who expressed that wonderful wish.

Anyways, when I lived in Sao Paulo with my parents and sister, it was in Jardim Paulista, the whereabouts of the house as follows (take a pick !)

It was

i) half a block from Av, Sao Gabriel
ii) 2 blocks from Brigadeiro Luiz Antonio
iii) three blocks from Avenida Santo Amaro or
iv) ten bocks from Av. 9 de Julho.

Regards


That's 10 minutes from where I live!

Best Regards,

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm

I knew that, since you mentioned you lived close from where the concert will take place. I remember, in 1965, attending a concert there, at Ibirapuera, and my dad's chauffer actually arriving there, with me seated in the back of a 1964 Impala, exactly 10 minutes later... (LOL).

HERE'S SOMETHING YOU'LL FIND FASCINATING. In 1965, I went to Pacaembu to watch a Copa Libertadores group match, between Santos and Universitario of Peru. My dad and I were there, seated at the Consular section and waiting for the game to start, when over the loudspeakers I clearly heard my father's full name being mentioned, requesting him to come to the pitch to do the official kick off.

My dad didn't learn Portuguese as quickly as I did, so he just kept talking to some other diplomat, until I heard the announcement again. So, that's when I decided to interrupt his conversation and told him he had to go to the pitch, NOW!! He panicked and said the following. "Are you kidding? I've never kicked a football in my life!! Can you represent me?" So, being a football practitioner since age 5 (I was 14 when this incident took place), I went down all those 35 steps, then walked to the center of the field, with 55,000 in attendance (now regulations for safety apply, and there's only room for 37,000, all seated), then spoke to the Paraguayan referee, who told me to "just kick the ball to wherever or whoever you want to", "but just don't kick it too far", he added, with a warning-look on his face. So I decided to teach him a lesson.

About six months before, a schoolmate at Colegio Sao Luiz, had taught me how to do a "rabona", and you won't believe this, but that's what I did, directing it straight at Pele's left foot. Some 10 photographers were there, surrounding me and took pictures. But when, on the next day, I tried to find my picture and found none in any of SP's three major dailes, my father mocked me by saying "Are you kidding, do you think that they will put your picture?"

And he added, "just go with the driver to the three main newspapers and ask who the photographers were, then ask him to sell you a copy. Here's some money"". And do you know why he wanted the picture? Well, on his state of nervousness, on witnessing his only son, in the process of doing what he knew was something magical, for anyone at my age or any age, and especially with Pele on the field, he had a rush to go to the bathroom (which exists, to this day, at the Consular section). For some reason, he was still there when I actually kicked the ball. He never saw me doing it, but I only found out about that some 15 years later (LOL).

I never went to those newspapers, kept the money but I remain, to this date, the only 14 year kid who did an official kick-off at Pacembu stadium. And it was on that evening that I lost whatever fears I had about facing an audience (the applause at watching a 14 year old kid, dressed in a suit and tie was deafening), all of which serving me extremely well on the years ahead, in speeches, or whatever my functions required.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Great memories Jaime!

I often go to Pacaembu to watch soccer games. The team that I support is Palmeiras which won the latest Brazilian cup.
With subway near Pacaembu and being expanded in Sao Paulo, places are really near now,

Thanks for sharing these nice stories!

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 am

Entao voce e do Palmeiras,!!

Vou contar uma outra historia do Pele, mas que tem que ver com o Palmeiras. Era um jogo de quartos pela Copa do Brasil, seis meses apos do jogo contra o Universitario. O meu pai nao quiz ir ver o jogo e pediu ao nosso motorista, que por acaso tinha jogado no Palmeiras nos anos 50, pra me levar. Ja no Pacaembu, o Julho. , assim se chamava o motorista, me diz, "quer que eu leve voce, apos o jogo, aos vestuarios e assim voce conhece, desta vez, pessoalmente, o Pele? "Eu tenho um cartao que diz que sou antigo jogador, e ;posso fazer que voce entre, conmigo".

O Santos deu do Palmeiras, 2-1, com un gol do Pele e, a isso das 11 da noite, entramos os dois na antesala dos vestuarios. Saiu Gilmar, Pepe, Dalmo, Lima, Zito, Coutinho em fim, todo o time menos o Pele. A meia noite, ele saiu, de camisa cor de rosa e calcas cinzenta. Eu fiquei com a boca aberta, falei com ele sozinho, com o Paulo ao lado, 45 minutos, falando de tudo o que voce possa se imaginar MENOS do feito de ter sido eu, o mesmo garoto quem lhe tinha dado a bola de rabona, a ele, seis meses atras. Eu esqueci TOTALMENTE de lhe dizer isso. Quando a gente saiu (ele tambem saiu, connosco), haviam pelo menos 100 pessoas la fora, ao pe da porta, a espera dele, ao ponto que perdi-me do motorista , pela confusao. Ai eu teve uma idea do que era ser alguem como Elvis, ou os Beatles.

Como o Chevrolet Impala do meu pai, estava perto, muito perto, no parking que voce conhece, e a minha vista, eu so fui la, a espera do motorista, e ele chegou logo, aos 2 ou 3 minutos.

Nao sei qual e a sua idade, meu caro, mas so contei esta historia para voce ter uma idea do grande que foi o Pele, como meu idolo. Era tao, mas tao grande, que esqueci de lhe dizer o mais evidente....

E ele, naturalmente, nao me reconheceu...

O que e que voce acha dessa historia?

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Fantástico Jaime!

Eu nunca tive a oportunidade de conhecer o Pelé pessoalmente. O meu avô o conheceu nos anos 60. Depois deste tempo, demorou bastante até que o Santos voltasse a conquistar titulos de expressão no cenario brasileiro.

Muito bom conversar com você por aqui. Temos outros amigos brasileiros por aqui cadastrados e muitos outros que apenas passam para ler. Bom, você já sabe que se estiver por aqui um dia, pode me contatar para podermos tomar uma cerveja! :wink:

OBS: farei 27 anos no dia 17 de Agosto.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Meu Deus!!! Voce nasceu no dia apos do aniversario da Madonna (nascimento) e do Elvis (falhecimento). Olha la, quer ver ao seu novo amigo? O endereco do lugar, o que voce pode ler aos 1.41 do clipe, é dos mais conhecidos do mundo inteiro, e nao somente para os fans de Elvis. E o que eu lá fiz, o qual foi totalmente imprevisto, é para morir de rir mesmo!! (ji,ji) Vai ao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0r1hDXqrEo
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Elvis in Concert in Brazil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm

I've seen the show several times and might go again, if it came to a venue near me. I would not see it several times in one engagement, as I did when Elvis was alive. Why do that? It's not like he's going to ad-lib something or the set list is going to change. It is amazing.

This show seems to do much better around the world than in the USA. It came to Minneapolis some years ago and sold about 2500 tickets.