"Love Song of the Year" --> Secrets Revealed at Last!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: "Love Song of the Year" --> Secrets Revealed at Last!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MRM on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm wrote:It's not a great song, but as I've said here before, I like "Love Song of the Year" for some reason. Elvis is committed to the song, and that makes it enjoyable.

As for "Raised on Rock," it's among the weaker Mark James songs I've heard, and the lyrics are wrong for Elvis (how can you grow up listening to artists who were your contemporaries?). Elvis' vocal is off, like most of the cuts recorded in summer 1973 at Stax.

I did enjoy when he worked it into a medley with "Trouble" in Vegas when it was first released, introducing it as his new single. But he only performed it once, right?

Ever hear Johnny Winter's version from 1974? It fits him better.
Some lyrical changes and Elvis' recording would have been so much better. But no one, including the singer, bothered.

Johnny Winter's version, produced by Shelly Yakus, is a straight-ahead rocker, and very good, but Presley's master arrangement is brilliant.

Johnny Winter "Raised On Rock" (Blue Sky ZS8 2754, January 11, 1975)
Note:
this is the LP version, the single was edited down to 2:57.
Billboard called the A-side "commercial" and an "AM natural."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

MRM
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by MRM »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm wrote:
MRM on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm wrote:It's not a great song, but as I've said here before, I like "Love Song of the Year" for some reason. Elvis is committed to the song, and that makes it enjoyable.

As for "Raised on Rock," it's among the weaker Mark James songs I've heard, and the lyrics are wrong for Elvis (how can you grow up listening to artists who were your contemporaries?). Elvis' vocal is off, like most of the cuts recorded in summer 1973 at Stax.

I did enjoy when he worked it into a medley with "Trouble" in Vegas when it was first released, introducing it as his new single. But he only performed it once, right?

Ever hear Johnny Winter's version from 1974? It fits him better.
Some lyrical changes and Elvis' recording would have been so much better. But no one, including the singer, bothered.

Johnny Winter's version, produced by Shelly Yakus, is a straight-ahead rocker, and very good, but Presley's master arrangement is brilliant.
"Brilliant"? I disagree. Is this your sarcasm showing, doctor? :?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

MRM on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm wrote:Some lyrical changes and Elvis' recording would have been so much better. But no one, including the singer, bothered.

No, I find everything about "Raised On Rock," save some of the lyrics, and Elvis' semi-detached vocal, to be quite excellent. The bridge, where everyone stops except for Bobby Wood's piano and Kathy Westmoreland's soprano, is really cool. And the bass line throughout, as played by the legendary Tommy Cogbill, is sinuous and sinister. You can't say that about many 1970s Elvis studio tunes.

If only someone had righted the ship as far as Mark James' lyrics, we'd have something really special to talk about today.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm wrote:Some lyrical changes and Elvis' recording would have been so much better. But no one, including the singer, bothered.

No, I find everything about "Raised On Rock," save some of the lyrics, and Elvis' semi-detached vocal, to be quite excellent. The bridge, where everyone stops except for Bobby Wood's piano and Kathy Westmoreland's soprano, is really cool. And the bass line throughout, as played by the legendary Tommy Cogbill, is sinuous and sinister. You can't say that about many 1970s Elvis studio tunes.

If only someone had righted the ship as far as Mark James' lyrics, we'd have something really special to talk about today.
Nothing else could be done with lyrics apart from getting The Stones out of there.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm wrote:

This is so spot on. I was listening to ROR last week and I had the same reaction. Everyone around Elvis was so lazy and lightweight. How hard would it have been for Bienstock or Jarvis to say hey Mark we love the track but we need lyrics that would work better for Elvis. One Night Of Sin and One Night-that was when they cared. Parts of the second verse work well but the Elvis should have never recorded it as is.

As for Love Song, just another we got the publishing album fodder track best left in the demo stack. That this made to the record pile tells how bankrupt the demo pile was.

MRM

Post by MRM »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm wrote:

Huh. I'll have to give it another listen to see if I hear some of what you do, doc. I thought Westmoreland's vocal didn't work with the rest of the song, although I understood what they were attempting with it.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

I don’t hear it Doc but different strokes !

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

MRM on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm wrote:No, I find everything about "Raised On Rock," save some of the lyrics, and Elvis' semi-detached vocal, to be quite excellent. The bridge, where everyone stops except for Bobby Wood's piano and Kathy Westmoreland's soprano, is really cool. And the bass line throughout, as played by the legendary Tommy Cogbill, is sinuous and sinister. You can't say that about many 1970s Elvis studio tunes.

Huh. I'll have to give it another listen to see if I hear some of what you do, doc. I thought Westmoreland's vocal didn't work with the rest of the song, although I understood what they were attempting with it.
You will find examples of Elvis songs throughout his career that include a soprano obbligato, and I am certain he had a hand in the one used during the bridge in "Raised On Rock." So the recording bears scrutiny despite the drawbacks I already mentioned.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

What I want to know is; why was he "in the bathroom rockin' on"? :P

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

elvis-fan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 am wrote:What I want to know is; why was he "in the bathroom rockin' on"? :P
Elvis was in the backroom. It was John Fogerty who was in the bathroom (on the right). :wink:

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

elvis-fan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm wrote:What I want to know is; why was he "in the bathroom rockin' on"? :P
The same reason that Jimi Hendrix sang "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Hobbes »

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza."

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

elvis-fan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 am wrote:What I want to know is; why was he "in the bathroom rockin' on"? :P
Like Elvis, when I rock on, it is usually in the BACKroom.

Seldom do I rock on in the bathroom unless I'm practicing my Elvis moves in the mirror with hairbrush in hand.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

Good title for an album ...

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

George Smith on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm wrote:Good title for an album ...

Very nice compilation album.
However, there was no "heavy handed overdubbing". The July 1973 STAX masters used for the album "Raised On Rock" didn't have any overdubbing sans "Girl Of Mine", and the Palm Springs recording of "Sweet Angeline".

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

Juan Luis on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am wrote:
midnightx on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 pm wrote:
r&b on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm wrote:
ekenee wrote:Anyone who criticizes these songs to the degree that some of you do,
are basically saying you have much better taste in music than Elvis did.
So, don't go there. Just because "you" hate it, doesn't mean someone
might find something in the lyric or melody that they relate to.
It doesn't mean you have great taste in music.

He choose to record it, and something in the song touched him to do so.
It wasn't as if he recorded anything they told him to, because
he was known for tossing demo's at the wall, and rejecting alot of stuff.

Of course making a movie and working on a song that fit a scene is another debate all together.
Have you learned nothing from Marty Lacker? The songs being presented to Elvis after 1970 were horrid, due to the publishing deal aspect of the business. He tossed songs, yes, but they were worse pieces of turd than this probably.
Marty Lacker brought in "Raised On Rock" which everyone "loves" here. Of course his choices never included turds.
"Raised On Rock" was hardly stellar material, and as often discussed, contained subject matter inappropriate for Elvis considering Elvis was a pioneer of rock and roll and hardly someone who was raised on it. However, in comparison to "Love Song Of The Year," "Raised On Rock" was a masterpiece.
Marty Lacker shouldn't have run his mouth in this particular case when he did the same thing he was criticizing others of doing. That was the point. Same thing Lamar. Everything was sheeet except of course for the sheeet they brought in. Got to give credit to Lamar for "Kentucky Rain" off the top of my head.
Marty Lacker said a lot of questionable things. but i didnt know he brought raised on rock to Elvis. that makes him a hypocrite too. same with lamar. he complained about the songs that were brought to Elvis and yet he brought that awful song "life" to Elvis. puke. :roll: :roll:

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 pm wrote:
George Smith on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm wrote:Good title for an album ...

Very nice compilation album.
However, there was no "heavy handed overdubbing". The July 1973 STAX masters used for the album "Raised On Rock" didn't have any overdubbing sans "Girl Of Mine", and the Palm Springs recording of "Sweet Angeline".
Take Good Care Of Her sucked up all the overdubbing oxygen from this session. The LP mixes were horrible. Even these weak sessions and downer laded performances sound far better in the outtakes on the FTD. We know why.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

DEH on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am wrote:
midnightx on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 pm wrote:
r&b on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm wrote:
ekenee wrote:Anyone who criticizes these songs to the degree that some of you do,
are basically saying you have much better taste in music than Elvis did.
So, don't go there. Just because "you" hate it, doesn't mean someone
might find something in the lyric or melody that they relate to.
It doesn't mean you have great taste in music.

He choose to record it, and something in the song touched him to do so.
It wasn't as if he recorded anything they told him to, because
he was known for tossing demo's at the wall, and rejecting alot of stuff.

Of course making a movie and working on a song that fit a scene is another debate all together.
Have you learned nothing from Marty Lacker? The songs being presented to Elvis after 1970 were horrid, due to the publishing deal aspect of the business. He tossed songs, yes, but they were worse pieces of turd than this probably.
Marty Lacker brought in "Raised On Rock" which everyone "loves" here. Of course his choices never included turds.
"Raised On Rock" was hardly stellar material, and as often discussed, contained subject matter inappropriate for Elvis considering Elvis was a pioneer of rock and roll and hardly someone who was raised on it. However, in comparison to "Love Song Of The Year," "Raised On Rock" was a masterpiece.
Marty Lacker shouldn't have run his mouth in this particular case when he did the same thing he was criticizing others of doing. That was the point. Same thing Lamar. Everything was sheeet except of course for the sheeet they brought in. Got to give credit to Lamar for "Kentucky Rain" off the top of my head.
Marty Lacker said a lot of questionable things. but i didnt know he brought raised on rock to Elvis. that makes him a hypocrite too. same with lamar. he complained about the songs that were brought to Elvis and yet he brought that awful song "life" to Elvis. puke. :roll: :roll:
Not really. In the music publishing dog eat dog world of that time...everyone else was crap except your stuff! :lol:

Lawrence
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks for posting.

I fell in love with this song around 13 years ago when my grandparents gave me their copy of Promised Land they bought in 75.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

More Chris Christian revelations are found in this 2017 column, from his hometown paper in Abilene. For instance, he wrote "Love Song of the Year" when he was a junior in high school. :shock:

Thanks to MRM for finding the link.

Thank you, Chris. Thank you, very much.

Greg Jaklewicz

636391078994756213-Chris-Christian-at-Sun-Studios.jpg
A 2015 photo of Chris Christian during a tour of Sun Studios, in Memphis. Elvis Presley recorded a song by Christian that appeared on his 1975 album "Promised Land."

Elvis trumps all.

These days, people will want to read something political into that choice of verbs.

But this is not fake news: If you have a connection to The King, you rock.

And roll, too.

I talked last week to Chris Christian, a familiar name for years but someone I never have met. I thought and thought about a song I heard on the radio growing up and finally, the remake of "I Go to Pieces," when the Abilene singer was a member of Cotton, Lloyd and Christian, came back to me.

I heard it on the radio in 1975 when I was a high school junior.

In 1981, as a solo artist, Chris cracked the Top 40 with "I Want You, I Need You." It was a Top 10 adult contemporary hit.

Chris has been a great success in many areas in his life, including landing some hits in the Top 40. But it's his connection to Elvis that not only is a great Abilene story but one that may bring a crowd to 609 Scott Place this weekend.

After all, it's where he wrote a song that The King recorded in 1973 and was released on Jan. 8, 1975 — why is that date special, Elvis fans?

It was his 40th birthday.

"Love Song of the Year" is Track 5.

Chris' parents now are deceased and an estate sale of the J.E. Smith home is planned. A few music items of interest will be available, including signed copies of Chris' albums.

But what really is cool is that as a junior at Abilene High in 1968, he wrote a song titled "Love Song of the Year." Something he did when he wasn't playing basketball and being a high school kid almost ready to get on with life.

A song written by a high school student in Abilene sung by The King. Is America the land of opportunity, or what?

Before the story of Chris Christian Smith (and you thought he used "Christian" just to score points ...) going to Nashville to seek fame and fortune, there's the story of his fourth-grade teacher bringing a musician to class one day.

His teacher at Crockett Elementary was Mrs. (Helen) Patterson. One day, her son Dow visited the class. He talked to the kids about writing and performing songs. One of his songs was getting some radio airplay.

He was a celebrity.

"I thought, 'Gee, that's what I want to do,'" Chris said.

But, you know, that's just a kid's impossible dream. Like hitting a home run in the bottom of the 9th to win the World Series. And the crowd goes wild!

"To come from Abilene to Nashville and Elvis record one of your songs?" Chris said, laughing. Never happen.

But it did, thanks to Shaun Nielsen singing his friend's song one early morning to Elvis, who obviously remembered that song when he woke up later in the day.

All this was just three months or so after Chris, now an Abilene Christian University graduate and whose grandfather served as vice president under 29-year president Don Morris, packed his bags and drove to Nashville.

Even Tony Brown, the well-known producer for Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, George Strait and others quickly is linked to The King. Despite dozens of No. 1 hits by those stars, Brown is remembered for playing the piano for Elvis until his death in 1977.

Chris is doing a documentary on Brown and the musician-producer commented that people often are more interested in his time with The King than his success producing country music.

"Elvis defines us," Chris said. You almost could hear him shaking his head but grinning on the phone.

Chris is not sure but he may be the youngest songwriter whose work Elvis recorded.

Now, through the years, many other artists recorded his work, including Olivia Newton-John and B.J. Thomas. Even the Carpenters and the Pointer Sisters, certainly two diverse acts involving siblings.

But that one song ...

A comment on the YouTube is: "Love it.........forever Elvis..."

Chris also posted.

"I wrote this song when I was in High School." Chris Christian @ccsongwriter

And here's more irony. He signed Amy Grant, who is in Abilene on Thursday to tour the West Texas Rehabilitation Center and then perform at its summer dinner show.

One story you may hear is Chris getting her a gig for $500.

But, Mr. Christian, she supposedly said, ... I don't have $500.

No, Amy, they will pay you $500.

Chris has quite the resumé, in addition to the performing and recording days, that also included success in Christian music.

He produced and did music for the well-known Gerbert children's show.

He has been nominated for many Grammy and Dove Awards, winning nine times.

He started his own label, Sweet Home Records.

He once purchased The Studios at Las Colinas.

He was CEO of World Digital Media Group.

Today, he is vice chairman of the Dallas Wings, the WNBA franchise.

Yep, the Abilene boy has done pretty good for himself. Lots of memories of days with that fluffed, blow-dried 1970s-80s hair and rolled up suit sleeves. Performing on "American Bandstand."

On that 1982 show, host Dick Clark said what baffled him about the multi-talented Chris was why he didn't just take a plush office job instead of returning to music.

"Well, uh, I think music is something I've always loved so much," Chris responded.

He did get around to that office job.

Chris along the way probably met everyone who was anyone in the music business.

But writing Track 5 on the "Promised Land" ... Tony Brown understands.

Some folks may show up this weekend just to see the house where one of Elvis' songs was written. They might get all shook up.

The sale starts at 7 a.m. each day.

Chris won't be there. But if you bring a Chris Christian album, cassette or whatever, leave it. He'll sign and it'll get back to you.

It's otherwise a basic estate sale at a nice home, albeit one frozen in time, south of the ACU campus. The for sale sign out front has "sold" on it.

Some new folks will move in.

But Elvis has not left the building.

Abilene Reporter-News - Thursday, August 24, 2017
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/761367454/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

wecanmakethemorning
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by wecanmakethemorning »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 am wrote:More Chris Christian revelations are found in this 2017 column, from his hometown paper in Abilene:

In high school, Chris Christian wrote a song Elvis later would record.
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/columnists/greg-jaklewicz/2017/08/23/thank-you-chris-thank-you-very-much/594156001/

For instance, he wrote "Love Song of the Year" when he was a junior in high school. :shock:

A bit belated but put me down for a 'LOVE'!!

MRM

Post by MRM »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 pm wrote:More Chris Christian revelations are found in this 2017 column, from his hometown paper in Abilene:

In high school, Chris Christian wrote a song Elvis later would record.
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/columnists/greg-jaklewicz/2017/08/23/thank-you-chris-thank-you-very-much/594156001/

For instance, he wrote "Love Song of the Year" when he was a junior in high school. :shock:

You're welcome. Clearly I'm outvoted, but I will cut a young songwriter some slack for an early composition. (This is a separate issue from whether Elvis should have recorded it).

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Well, revisiting this thread from another thread, I just wanted to lay down a few thoughts.

Besides the little falsetto singing at the end that I do enjoy, listening to Elvis singing that, I think this one of the (bad) tunes was really what went wrong with Elvis and his music.

Voice imho, was a joke. He wasn’t kidding when he would claim he found them in an upholstery shop.

How Elvis got persuaded to do these kinds of songs and with these faux singers, they took everything that was good in Elvis’ music away. Elvis was about Country, Gospel, R&B, Blues and made his own brand.

I’ve come to the point that I can’t even stomach listening to his concerts, via FTD, (after ‘72) anymore at all.

After 1969, what he came back to, ( From Elvis In Memphis/Back In Memphis , all went away slowly with songs he didn’t wholeheartedly believe in and himself anymore. 🥲

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

2kisses&3scarfs
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by 2kisses&3scarfs »

Drjohncarpenter, you are the best! I enjoy reading everyone of your posts. You have been so helpful to me and others on this message board. I am truly in awe of the amount of information you share. I’m an original Elvis fan from when he first appeared on the scene, and as much as I know about him and his music, I always learn something new from you. It’s very appreciated. Thank you!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

2kisses&3scarfs wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:37 pm
Drjohncarpenter, you are the best! I enjoy reading everyone of your posts. You have been so helpful to me and others on this message board. I am truly in awe of the amount of information you share. I’m an original Elvis fan from when he first appeared on the scene, and as much as I know about him and his music, I always learn something new from you. It’s very appreciated. Thank you!

This is an early Christmas gift! I am humbled by your kind words, thank you so much.

That you're a first-generation fan means the world to me. You guys got the ball rolling!

And here were are in 2023, still talking about this fascinating, unique and exciting artist.

:wink:

P.S. I have added information to a couple of my posts here, please enjoy. One is on this very page!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.