Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Love Song of the Year" --> Secrets Revealed at Last!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:51 am

What can I say :)
I just like this song :D

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

jeremylr wrote:Another interesting thread, Dr. John. To me, Chris Christian's biggest recording contributions are his discovery of Amy Grant [Contemporary Christian artist, then straight pop, now Vince Gill's wife] & simultaneous work with B.J. Thomas.

For Beach Boys' fans, it was Christian who produced B.J.'s final Top 20 pop hit, "Don't Worry Baby", which charted shortly after Elvis passed away. And Christian led B.J. into the burgeoning Contemporary Christian field earlier in '77 with the "Home Where I Belong" album.

Since Elvis tended to record gospel albums about every six years, I wonder what would have happened if he had ditched Felton, regained his creative momentum, and entered a Nashville recording studio [Christian was based in the city] in '78 or '79 to do a new gospel record.

Perhaps Christian would have been the producer, since he was the production guru of the genre. Listening to the He Touched Me album, it's obvious that Elvis was foreshadowing the Contemporary Christian movement that B.J. later got a lot of credit for starting & ultimately taking into the mainstream. Just a thought.

I dare to add a correction to what has been said here. With all the due respect towards Elvis Presley's musical legacy: At the time he recorded "He Touched Me" he was actually r e f l e c t i n g what was in the making in contemporary christian movements. Example given: He choose "I've Got Confidence" written by Andrae Crouch. Crouch was one of t h e main influences on what was to become contemporary gospel music. Crouch by his innovative approach imho made way for what we call contemporary christian music today. And yes, I remember playing Love Song of the Year on Promised Land...Really love it. Along with the rare Vegas impromptu jam of You're The Reason I'm Living. Wish he had sung Love Song of the Year on stage...!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Still love the "Promised Land" album.

I recall when I bought it in '88 I didn't like "There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In)" in the first place for it was "too much country" for me back then. But just like ol' Mr. Dylan said: "The times they are a-changin'". :wink:

And I was disappointed when first giving it a spin because it simply didn't live up to its promise / promising opener "Promised Land". :P

But what the heck. Although "Love Song Of The Year" was one of the songs that grew on me slowly but surely. And what a revelation the rehearsal was! :D

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm

elvisjock wrote:Great stuff, John, although, if we remove you and Midnight from the equation, the song is quite a bit less polarizing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good to see that some things never change :wink:

Loved listening to LSOTY on FTD - long wait, but well worth it.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Still love the "Promised Land" album.

I recall when I bought it in '88 I didn't like "There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In)" in the first place for it was "too much country" for me back then. But just like ol' Mr. Dylan said: "The times they are a-changin'". :wink:

And I was disappointed when first giving it a spin because it simply didn't live up to its promise / promising opener "Promised Land". :P

But what the heck. Although "Love Song Of The Year" was one of the songs that grew on me slowly but surely. And what a revelation the rehearsal was! :D

"There's a Honky Tonk Angel" is one of my favorites - and it became even moreso after hearing it on the Rhythm and Country release.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:"There's a Honky Tonk Angel" is one of my favorites - and it became even moreso after hearing it on the Rhythm and Country release.

Me too. Gotta love that performance!!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:TINML, thanks for reviving this topic from 2012.

In retrospect, it's probably one of my favorites from those I've created on FECC.

Music is a passion, and "Love Song of the Year" certainly evokes a passionate response from members here.

"Love Song of the Year"

LOVE (26)
sgoodyear62
Rob
Renan
poormadpeter
OnTourCam
JosephC
Mike Eder
elvisjock
TJ
Marco Aurelio
YDKM
MaryAnn
billyblues
ranskal
JimmyCool
Lonely Summer
iplayastrat
FVH
stevelecher
Johnny2523
minkahed
Tony..
Energy Catalyzer
paulsweeney
TINML
joekro1977

HATE (7)
Matthew
midnightx
drjohncarpenter
daylon
norrie
Chris Roberts
Erhan

DON'T KNOW (11)
TCB-FAN
George Smith
keninlincs
jeremylr
dreambear
TheMaskedClown
Scarre
Lennart
Change of Clambake
Jove
rjm

"LOVE" might be overstating it in my case :) It would be a better song with different words, as its strength is the melody.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 pm

That was a funny evening when Elvis sat down by us at the Hilton and we listened to my song on acetate. My friend with me totally lost it.....I was trying to keep it together, and Steve started speaking loudly "I can't believe, it's ELVIS, it's ELVIS..... Elvis looked over at me and was so nice and said "Don't worry about it"

to
terbon4 wrote:If you're not familiar with Chris, he's a very talented artist.

I had the chance to interview him about 10 years or so ago. He plays a wide variety of instruments. He said if it has strings or keys he can play it. And he said he's completely self taught.
And he's a very prolific songwriter. His claim is he's penned around 40,000 songs--mainly for the contemporary christian music market.

I have 7-8 albums of his--great voice.

I used to have (may still have it somewhere) a short video I taped off of a TV music video program back in the 90s with Chris talking about meeting Elvis. He said he went with a friend, and while he (Chris) managed to stay calm when Elvis came in, his friend just lost it, "Oh my--Elvis Presley!!!" It was funny to hear him tell it.

T

:D

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:00 am

Chris Christian wrote:That was a funny evening when Elvis sat down by us at the Hilton and we listened to my song on acetate. My friend with me totally lost it.....I was trying to keep it together, and Steve started speaking loudly "I can't believe, it's ELVIS, it's ELVIS..... Elvis looked over at me and was so nice and said "Don't worry about it"

to

I had the chance to interview him about 10 years or so ago. He plays a wide variety of instruments. He said if it has strings or keys he can play it. And he said he's completely self taught.
And he's a very prolific songwriter. His claim is he's penned around 40,000 songs--mainly for the contemporary christian music market.

I used to have (may still have it somewhere) a short video I taped off of a TV music video program back in the 90s with Chris talking about meeting Elvis. He said he went with a friend, and while he (Chris) managed to stay calm when Elvis came in, his friend just lost it, "Oh my--Elvis Presley!!!" It was funny to hear him tell it.

T

Chris, if this is really you, welcome to the forum. We would love to hear any of the stories of being with Elvis back then. And if there are any details missed regarding this recording, please share your thoughts.

I'm sure you are aware of a recent, deluxe 3xCD reissue of Elvis' 1973 Stax sessions that includes the master take of your song, and some additional versions, which must be very gratifying.

::rocks

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am

That's a cool story! Nice to have you on the board, Chris! Love Song of the Year take one was an eye opener for me :D

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 am

I'm in the minority here - I like Love Song of the Year. Welcome to the board, Mr. Christian.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:23 am

Does anyone know why the original Promise Land label was tan, and later it was orange? Just curious??

sgoodyear62 wrote:VERY interesting read Dr. I always loved this song! I've had a hard time finding the orange label pressing too of promised land, copy I bought back in 1975 was tan label, but getting off topic. I fell in love with this song when I first heard it on this lp.Don't know why anyone would dislike it and a real shame Elvis never did this on stage! Never knew the back story. Thanks for sharing this for all of us to read. :D

:?:

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 am

Chris Christian wrote:Does anyone know why the original Promise Land label was tan, and later it was orange? Just curious??

sgoodyear62 wrote:VERY interesting read Dr. I always loved this song! I've had a hard time finding the orange label pressing too of promised land, copy I bought back in 1975 was tan label, but getting off topic. I fell in love with this song when I first heard it on this lp.Don't know why anyone would dislike it and a real shame Elvis never did this on stage! Never knew the back story. Thanks for sharing this for all of us to read. :D

:?:

It was orange and tan upon first release, it depends on which pressing you got, the one from Hollywood or the one from Indianapolis.

If you are an Elvis record collector these days, Chris, elvisrecords.us is the best site on the internet, by a wide margin:

apl1-0873-cover-side1.jpg

APL1-0873 Promised Land | elvisrecords.us
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database: elvisrecords.us
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Christian wrote:That was a funny evening when Elvis sat down by us at the Hilton and we listened to my song on acetate. My friend with me totally lost it.....I was trying to keep it together, and Steve started speaking loudly "I can't believe, it's ELVIS, it's ELVIS..... Elvis looked over at me and was so nice and said "Don't worry about it"

to

T

Chris, if this is really you, welcome to the forum. We would love to hear any of the stories of being with Elvis back then. And if there are any details missed regarding this recording, please share your thoughts.

I'm sure you are aware of a recent, deluxe 3xCD reissue of Elvis' 1973 Stax sessions that includes the master take of your song, and some additional versions, which must be very gratifying.

Yes, this is really Me!!! I have heard of the 3 CD set with LSOTY but have not heard it yet. I would love to. I'm looking for the demo I made of the song. I think there should be an Elvis album with the demo of the songs Elvis heard before he recorded them.
I think that would be interesting to hear how he changed the original song and his interpretation.

Glad to find this group and look forward to hearing all the comments and stories. Chris Christian

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:16 am

Chris Christian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

to

T

Yes, this is really Me!!! I have heard of the 3 CD set with LSOTY but have not heard it yet. I would love to. I'm looking for the demo I made of the song. I think there should be an Elvis album with the demo of the songs Elvis heard before he recorded them.
I think that would be interesting to hear how he changed the original song and his interpretation.

Glad to find this group and look forward to hearing all the comments and stories. Chris Christian

I like this idea very much. Maybe we should suggest it to Ernst.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 am

You can add me to the `love' tally = 27

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
Chris Christian wrote:Yes, this is really Me!!! I have heard of the 3 CD set with LSOTY but have not heard it yet. I would love to. I'm looking for the demo I made of the song. I think there should be an Elvis album with the demo of the songs Elvis heard before he recorded them.

I like this idea very much. Maybe we should suggest it to Ernst.

It's already been done.

Writing For The King (FTD, December 2006)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/writingfortheking.html
http://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1627

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for putting me in "don't know." Your kindness will not be forgotten. (Got my members mixed up there with the quote function. It was John who put me in the category.)

Welcome Chris! :D

rjm
P.S. -- It's so easy to criticize from a distance, but I have never written a song that has satisfied *me,* and certainly not one that I would want Elvis Presley to record. No matter what anyone says, you did something, Chris, that most of us can only dream about. You should be deservedly proud.

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:25 pm

jeremylr wrote:Another interesting thread, Dr. John. To me, Chris Christian's biggest recording contributions are his discovery of Amy Grant [Contemporary Christian artist, then straight pop, now Vince Gill's wife] & simultaneous work with B.J. Thomas.

For Beach Boys' fans, it was Christian who produced B.J.'s final Top 20 pop hit, "Don't Worry Baby", which charted shortly after Elvis passed away. And Christian led B.J. into the burgeoning Contemporary Christian field earlier in '77 with the "Home Where I Belong" album.

Since Elvis tended to record gospel albums about every six years, I wonder what would have happened if he had ditched Felton, regained his creative momentum, and entered a Nashville recording studio [Christian was based in the city] in '78 or '79 to do a new gospel record.

Perhaps Christian would have been the producer, since he was the production guru of the genre. Listening to the He Touched Me album, it's obvious that Elvis was foreshadowing the Contemporary Christian movement that B.J. later got a lot of credit for starting & ultimately taking into the mainstream. Just a thought.

That would have surely been the highlight of my career. Thanks for the nice thought! Chris Christian

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

to

T

I had the opportunity to speak with Chris last night, and yes--it's really him posting here. He met Elvis more than once and perhaps will share some of those stories in the future.

T

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Nice reading thank you :D

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 pm

I don't want to get bracketed in the love category, but I have a very mild liking for one of the outtakes of the song, which features less overdubbing and accentuates the piano.
"Love Song" would probably have been good filler on one of Elvis's lesser albums, but on "Promised Land" it's one of the album's low points. I also have a slight problem with Elvis singing about being a songwriter--it's too much of a direct contradiction of an essential truth about Elvis, who was a great interpreter and the complete opposite of any sort of songwriter.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 am

Revelator wrote:I don't want to get bracketed in the love category, but I have a very mild liking for one of the outtakes of the song, which features less overdubbing and accentuates the piano.
"Love Song" would probably have been good filler on one of Elvis's lesser albums, but on "Promised Land" it's one of the album's low points. I also have a slight problem with Elvis singing about being a songwriter--it's too much of a direct contradiction of an essential truth about Elvis, who was a great interpreter and the complete opposite of any sort of songwriter.
"Pieces of My Life" was more honest in that respect: "carryin' on, livin' on songs, my friends wrote for me to sing".

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 am

Today seems like a good day to update the tally, so here 'tis:

"Love Song of the Year"

LOVE (40)
sgoodyear62
Rob
Renan
poormadpeter
OnTourCam
JosephC
Mike Eder
elvisjock
TJ
Marco Aurelio
YDKM
MaryAnn
billyblues
ranskal
JimmyCool
Lonely Summer
iplayastrat
FVH
stevelecher
Johnny2523
minkahed
Tony..
Energy Catalyzer
paulsweeney
TINML
joekro1977
Pete Dube
Steve Morse
Mister Mike
Pink&Black
Juan Luis
bajo
Andy-M
sitdown revamped
luckyjackson1
BigredG
rickeap
Gitchops83
cor 1968
Revelator

HATE (9)
Matthew
midnightx
drjohncarpenter
daylon
norrie
Chris Roberts
Erhan
mysterytrainrideson
Claus

DON'T KNOW (12)
TCB-FAN
George Smith
keninlincs
jeremylr
dreambear
TheMaskedClown
Scarre
Lennart
Change of Clambake
Jove
rjm
terbon4

Those who have a LOVE opinion are holding strong at 80%!