Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films)?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 am

Of all Elvis' films, which film did he enjoy doing the most, and which did he least enjoy?
How did he feel, specifically, about It Happened at the World's Fair, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little Love a Little, and Change of Habit? I ask because those are my favorite Elvis movies.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 am

check this clip out...

Elvis Presley talking about his movie career
A very serious talking about his movie career with the man himself. This interview was recorded in Elvis On Tour (1972) movie sessions. It was never included in the actual movie.

phpBB [video]

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 am

Hate- Songs, scripts, commitment.

Love- Money, women, traveling.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 am

EPA4368 wrote:check this clip out...

Elvis Presley talking about his movie career
A very serious talking about his movie career with the man himself. This interview was recorded in Elvis On Tour (1972) movie sessions. It was never included in the actual movie.


An interesting listen, thanks for the link !

Worthwhile just to hear him attempt to pronounce 'choreographer' !

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 am

His favorite films were King Creole and Wild in the Country.

Elvis didn't like Live a little, love a little or Change of habit.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 am

I don't think he liked Clambake either. Who said he liked Wild In The Country?

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I think it was a 8MM underground movie movie with a squirel.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 pm

brian wrote:His favorite films were King Creole and Wild in the Country.

Elvis didn't like Live a little, love a little or Change of habit.


he didnt like Change of habit?? while that one was a movie on his gospel side

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Allegedly he told Jeanne LeMay that Clambake was the most fun movie to make, only because of the kidding around on the set, even though King Creole was his favourite. He couldn't have been a big fan of Stay Away, Joe, because he only let Joyce Bova watch it with the sound switched off, on January 8 1972. That's the way it is was probably the movie watched most often.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:46 am

EPA4368 wrote:check this clip out...

Elvis Presley talking about his movie career
A very serious talking about his movie career with the man himself. This interview was recorded in Elvis On Tour (1972) movie sessions. It was never included in the actual movie.

phpBB [video]



although I`ve heard this before, the interview is very revealing and speaks volumes about how elvis really felt. Listen clearly for Joe`s explanation and how elvis over speaks Joe in order to get the facts straight, no question the colonel is not in this room during the interview because I don`t think elvis would have spoke his mind so assuredly, probably has a alot to do on why it wasn`t included in the movie

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 am

I remember reading somewhere that he thought "Charro!" was his best movie. Don't know if he liked it best. At least with "King Creole" he'd proven good taste in his films. :wink:

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 am

sweetangeline wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:check this clip out...

Elvis Presley talking about his movie career
A very serious talking about his movie career with the man himself. This interview was recorded in Elvis On Tour (1972) movie sessions. It was never included in the actual movie.

phpBB [video]



although I`ve heard this before, the interview is very revealing and speaks volumes about how elvis really felt. Listen clearly for Joe`s explanation and how elvis over speaks Joe in order to get the facts straight, no question the colonel is not in this room during the interview because I don`t think elvis would have spoke his mind so assuredly, probably has a alot to do on why it wasn`t included in the movie


Love this audio, wish there was video to go along with it. I just now discovered it on youtube and it freakin ticks me off they did not include it in the blu ray with the other interviews. There is so much that he did not let out, keeping so much in no wonder he took his anger and frustration out in destructive ways. I often wonder if the separation with his wife and the way that sort of thing just leaves you raw opened the door a little bit for this bit of revelation he gives in these interviews. He seems to want to talk and get things off his chest. :(

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

The way he repeats "It did not change" suggests an angry man. And becaming "violently ill" speak volumes about Elvis's frustration about his movie carrer. No doubt about it: if the Colonel had heard this interview he would lock the tape in a salt mine.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 am

jurasic1968 wrote:The way he repeats "It did not change" suggests an angry man. And becaming "violently ill" speak volumes about Elvis's frustration about his movie carrer. No doubt about it: if the Colonel had heard this interview he would lock the tape in a salt mine.

True story, the tone in his voice says there is so much he wants to still say.
And really this was years after all of this happened, movies ended in 69' and the interviews were in 72' but I wasn't even born and I am angry about it so....

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 am

Errol Flynn wrote:Of all Elvis' films, which film did he enjoy doing the most, and which did he least enjoy?
How did he feel, specifically, about It Happened at the World's Fair, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little Love a Little, and Change of Habit? I ask because those are my favorite Elvis movies.


Have you checked out any of your fiance's Elvis books yet?

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 am

brian wrote:His favorite films were King Creole and Wild in the Country.

Elvis didn't like Live a little, love a little or Change of habit.


Beyond "King Creole" or "Tickle Me," films which Elvis is on record as liking, can you attribute the others, please?

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
brian wrote:His favorite films were King Creole and Wild in the Country.

Elvis didn't like Live a little, love a little or Change of habit.


he didnt like Change of habit?? while that one was a movie on his gospel side


I never heard that he didn't like it, but it's clear that he maybe didn't give it his all, and alternatively, the strange script didn't really give him the opportunity to do so. I think he was resigned at the time to the fact that "it" was all over. He maybe a had a few remaining hopes, but probably not much.

He liked the "idea" of Charro: that there was no singing in the picture, but I don't think he liked it. He told an actress that "I'm beginning to feel like the character in this film." (Gaar, 2010) I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it doesn't sound positive. He also spoke of his hope to do at least one good one before he "left." (He'd already done that, back in 1958.)

But aside from King Creole and Tickle Me, he really didn't address it. I seriously doubt he "enjoyed" Clambake.

rjm

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 pm

The short-sighted, greedy old Colonel should have listened to every word of that interview and hung his head in shame for allowing/forcing his client to endure such a disappointing movie career.
Sadly the same repetitive cycle was repeated in the 70s with concert tours.
Elvis comes across there as a good and open interview subject.
Thanks for the link.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm

The question you have to answer openly and honestly is... Was Elvis a good actor? There is a lot of talk about 'King Creole' and possibly 'Jailhouse Rock' showing Elvis in a positive light. However, was Elvis truly capable of delivering a great movie role worthy of an Oscar? Or was he bound to the types of movies he was given??

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:The question you have to answer openly and honestly is... Was Elvis a good actor? There is a lot of talk about 'King Creole' and possibly 'Jailhouse Rock' showing Elvis in a positive light. However, was Elvis truly capable of delivering a great movie role worthy of an Oscar? Or was he bound to the types of movies he was given??



As good as King Creole is, I cannot imagine Elvis ever showing emotional range like Brando did in Streetcar ('Stella'!) or James did in Rebel(when Mineo died). The big dramatic scene with Gig Young in Kid Galahad is funny now when I watch it. You can hardly get what he is saying he is talking so fast. Elvis' strength as an actor was in lightweigt comedy roles and I think that was apparent to everyone in Hollywood.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:41 pm

r&b wrote:Elvis' strength as an actor was in lightweigt comedy roles and I think that was apparent to everyone in Hollywood.


I agree his strength laid in comedy, some of which he did really well, I find it hard to watch Change Of Habit as there are some really awkward scenes that seem disjointed even for the late 60's. Charro fairs a lot better but again the script feel clumsy.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:His favorite films were King Creole and Wild in the Country.

Elvis didn't like Live a little, love a little or Change of habit.


Beyond "King Creole" or "Tickle Me," films which Elvis is on record as liking, can you attribute the others, please?


Marrty Lacker when answering fan questions over on elvis-express recently said that Wild in the Country was the film he was most proud of during the 1960s.

I seem to recall he answered another question saying that King Creole and Wild in the Country were his two favorite films overall.

Anita Wood mentioned in an interview with Elvis Australia that during the time they were dating that Elvis liked King Creole and another film that he liked was Wild in the Country.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

brian wrote:Marrty Lacker when answering fan questions over on elvis-express recently said that Wild in the Country was the film he was most proud of during the 1960s.

I seem to recall he answered another question saying that King Creole and Wild in the Country were his two favorite films overall.

Anita Wood mentioned in an interview with Elvis Australia that during the time they were dating that Elvis liked King Creole and another film that he liked was Wild in the Country.


OK, so "King Creole" or "Tickle Me" are the films which Elvis is on record as liking. Thanks.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:The question you have to answer openly and honestly is... Was Elvis a good actor? There is a lot of talk about 'King Creole' and possibly 'Jailhouse Rock' showing Elvis in a positive light. However, was Elvis truly capable of delivering a great movie role worthy of an Oscar? Or was he bound to the types of movies he was given??


Sure.

If Bobby Darin and Diana Ross could get Oscar nominations Elvis could have.

It is important to know that the Academy Awards are more about promotion and backstage politics than about acting.

1. Elvis would have to do a good job in a serious non singing role and he'd have to get away from the musical image that he had. (I believe that he was capable of this with the proper training and career management)
or he could get cast in one of those prestigious oscar bait type films.

2. Hal Wallis or Whoever the producer was of the film and the studio would heavily promote Elvis to get a nomination.

3. Elvis would have to go to Hollywood parties and pal around with people in the industry and become friends with those people.

Re: What film did Elvis love and hate most (of his own films

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Marrty Lacker when answering fan questions over on elvis-express recently said that Wild in the Country was the film he was most proud of during the 1960s.

I seem to recall he answered another question saying that King Creole and Wild in the Country were his two favorite films overall.

Anita Wood mentioned in an interview with Elvis Australia that during the time they were dating that Elvis liked King Creole and another film that he liked was Wild in the Country.


OK, so "King Creole" or "Tickle Me" are the films which Elvis is on record as liking. Thanks.


oh you mean Elvis has to be on record for it to be true.

Well, Elvis isn't on record for very much about his career so it should be okay to use other sources.

I don't believe that Tickle Me was Elvis' favorite film of the 60s.