Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay)

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 am

If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 am

Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.


If you have access to the entire photo, don't hold back...

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.


If you have access to the entire photo, don't hold back...


Hi John,
no I have not ! Or I would scan it and upload for you all here.

Just look CAREFULLY the scan on eBay ! And then use GOOGLE MAPS to "travel" in Tupelo. Furthermore, compare the bike with the other appearing in the notorious photo showing Elvis riding with it.

I would also guess thr EXACT MONTH AND YEAR the photo was taken :

- SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER 1947 - AFTERNOON AROUND h. 15:30

The lady who took the photo (by the exit of Hardware & Co. shop) had the sun behind her back. Elvis got his eyes closed and he STANDED in the SOUTH-WEST DIRECTION. In autumn & winter the sun rises at SOUTH-EAST and sets at SOUTH-WEST.

Remember here : the photo was taken WHEN still was nice and pretty hot weather in Tupelo.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Amazing.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Hound Dog 2000 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.


If you have access to the entire photo, don't hold back...


Hi John,
no I have not ! Or I would scan it and upload for you all here.

Just look CAREFULLY the scan on eBay ! And then use GOOGLE MAPS to "travel" in Tupelo. Furthermore, compare the bike with the other appearing in the notorious photo showing Elvis riding with it.

I would also guess thr EXACT MONTH AND YEAR the photo was taken :

- SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER 1947 - AFTERNOON AROUND h. 15:30

The lady who took the photo (by the exit of Hardware & Co. shop) had the sun behind her back. Elvis got his eyes closed and he STANDED in the SOUTH-WEST DIRECTION. In autumn & winter the sun rises at SOUTH-EAST and sets at SOUTH-WEST.

Remember here : the photo was taken WHEN still was nice and pretty hot weather in Tupelo.


Um, OK.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.


If you have access to the entire photo, don't hold back...


Hi John,
no I have not ! Or I would scan it and upload for you all here.

Just look CAREFULLY the scan on eBay ! And then use GOOGLE MAPS to "travel" in Tupelo. Furthermore, compare the bike with the other appearing in the notorious photo showing Elvis riding with it.

I would also guess thr EXACT MONTH AND YEAR the photo was taken :

- SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER 1947 - AFTERNOON AROUND h. 15:30

The lady who took the photo (by the exit of Hardware & Co. shop) had the sun behind her back. Elvis got his eyes closed and he STANDED in the SOUTH-WEST DIRECTION. In autumn & winter the sun rises at SOUTH-EAST and sets at SOUTH-WEST.

Remember here : the photo was taken WHEN still was nice and pretty hot weather in Tupelo.


Um, OK.


If you realize something wrong in my summary please follow up.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 am

Your summary does not seem entirely credible.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your summary does not seem entirely credible.


I was just trying to un-puzzle putting together all the details we can catch from the scan on eBay .

What you seen wrong in my summary ?

1- it's clear it was still nice and hot weather in Tupelo.
2- the sun position was still quite high in the sky with Elvis face standing at SOUTH WEST
3- in Autumn-Winter the sun rises at SE and sets at SW

So, I guess the photo was taken in SEPT-OCT 1947 in early afternoon.

Using Google-Maps (and old Tupelo photos) compare the Shop AND the LOFT you see in the scan plus the street & the STREET-LAMP.

I guess it is the Hardware & Co. shop.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

Your assumptions seem just a smidge outlandish.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your assumptions seem just a smidge outlandish.


By the way : PLACE + H&Co shop + BYCICLE + PERIOD (46-47) as of my assumptions been proved here Doc as found by an other FECC member and posted in similar topic :

http://www.gastongazette.com/spotlight/ ... y-1.196559

And I'm pretty sure the photo was taken in the period ranging from end of Aug-Sept <> first days of Oct 1947 in the early afternoon.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Elvis bought the socks he's wearing in the picture on May 18th 1946 at 13.52 hours! The sun was out that day. :wink: