Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay)

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 am

If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the period was May-June 1947. Elvis at 12.

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the place was definitively TUPELO

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.

Re: The true place - bike - period : Tupelo 1945 photo (ebay

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 am

Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

- the bike was already quite used and old. It missed the FRONT FENDER. Besides, it is the same bike seen in the other notorius Elvis childhood photo.

- the photo was taken standing BY THE EXIT OF "Hardware & Co." shop , just little bit from left inside.

If you have access to the entire photo, don't hold back...

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:If you watch well the photo's details & using google maps , you can get the following results :

Hi John,
no I have not ! Or I would scan it and upload for you all here.

Just look CAREFULLY the scan on eBay ! And then use GOOGLE MAPS to "travel" in Tupelo. Furthermore, compare the bike with the other appearing in the notorious photo showing Elvis riding with it.

I would also guess thr EXACT MONTH AND YEAR the photo was taken :

- SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER 1947 - AFTERNOON AROUND h. 15:30

The lady who took the photo (by the exit of Hardware & Co. shop) had the sun behind her back. Elvis got his eyes closed and he STANDED in the SOUTH-WEST DIRECTION. In autumn & winter the sun rises at SOUTH-EAST and sets at SOUTH-WEST.

Remember here : the photo was taken WHEN still was nice and pretty hot weather in Tupelo.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Amazing.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Hound Dog 2000 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Hi John,

Just look CAREFULLY the scan on eBay ! And then use GOOGLE MAPS to "travel" in Tupelo. Furthermore, compare the bike with the other appearing in the notorious photo showing Elvis riding with it.

The lady who took the photo (by the exit of Hardware & Co. shop) had the sun behind her back. Elvis got his eyes closed and he STANDED in the SOUTH-WEST DIRECTION. In autumn & winter the sun rises at SOUTH-EAST and sets at SOUTH-WEST.

Remember here : the photo was taken WHEN still was nice and pretty hot weather in Tupelo.

Um, OK.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Hi John,

Um, OK.

If you realize something wrong in my summary please follow up.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 am

Your summary does not seem entirely credible.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your summary does not seem entirely credible.

I was just trying to un-puzzle putting together all the details we can catch from the scan on eBay .

What you seen wrong in my summary ?

1- it's clear it was still nice and hot weather in Tupelo.
2- the sun position was still quite high in the sky with Elvis face standing at SOUTH WEST
3- in Autumn-Winter the sun rises at SE and sets at SW

So, I guess the photo was taken in SEPT-OCT 1947 in early afternoon.

Using Google-Maps (and old Tupelo photos) compare the Shop AND the LOFT you see in the scan plus the street & the STREET-LAMP.

I guess it is the Hardware & Co. shop.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

Your assumptions seem just a smidge outlandish.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your assumptions seem just a smidge outlandish.

By the way : PLACE + H&Co shop + BYCICLE + PERIOD (46-47) as of my assumptions been proved here Doc as found by an other FECC member and posted in similar topic :

http://www.gastongazette.com/spotlight/ ... y-1.196559

And I'm pretty sure the photo was taken in the period ranging from end of Aug-Sept <> first days of Oct 1947 in the early afternoon.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Elvis bought the socks he's wearing in the picture on May 18th 1946 at 13.52 hours! The sun was out that day. :wink: