Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rolling Stone Reviews: Request for Help

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:59 pm

I have some original Rolling Stone reviews for Elvis's 70s albums, printed off from their website, that I am going to be using in a project I have been working on. What I would really like is the page number(s) of the review, so that I can reference them correctly. I'm not asking for scans or anything like this, but if anyone has these issues and has them easily to hand and could look up the page number, it would be much appreciated.

Love Letters from Elvis, July 22, 1971 issue
Burning Love and hits from the Movies, Jan 4, 1973 issue
Today, July 3, 1975 issue
Aloha, March 29, 1973 issue
Elvis Country, March 4, 1971 issue
Elvis Presley on Set is an article rather than a review, and is from the Jul 12, 1969 issue.

I also can't find any contemporary review in Rolling Stone for TTWII, Elvis Now, Fool, the Stax albums, EP Boulevard or Moody Blue. I know that some of you will no straight away whether I have somehow missed them or whether they simply don't exist!

All help much appreciated.

Shane.

Re: Rolling Stone Reviews: Request for Help

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:00 pm

I think I still have the RS with the Elvis at MSG LP review. Want me to find that page?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:09 pm

r&b wrote:I think I still have the RS with the Elvis at MSG LP review. Want me to find that page?

That would be great - but the review isn't on their website for some reason!

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:I think I still have the RS with the Elvis at MSG LP review. Want me to find that page?

How odd. Its a full page review. Issue is no. 113, July 29th 1972, Paul Simon is on the cover. Its the old newspaper style RS and when you open it up, the Elvis review is on the backside or front cover to some. Its counted as page 1 and continued on page 6.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

How odd. Its a full page review. Issue is no. 113, July 29th 1972, Paul Simon is on the cover. Its the old newspaper style RS and when you open it up, the Elvis review is on the backside or front cover to some. Its counted as page 1 and continued on page 6.

Thank you. I'll hunt it down. It must be there somewhere!

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I have some original Rolling Stone reviews for Elvis's 70s albums, printed off from their website, that I am going to be using in a project I have been working on. What I would really like is the page number(s) of the review, so that I can reference them correctly. I'm not asking for scans or anything like this, but if anyone has these issues and has them easily to hand and could look up the page number, it would be much appreciated.

Elvis Presley on Set is an article rather than a review, and is from the Jul 12, 1969 issue.

I also can't find any contemporary review in Rolling Stone for TTWII, Elvis Now, Fool, the Stax albums, EP Boulevard or Moody Blue. I know that some of you will no straight away whether I have somehow missed them or whether they simply don't exist!

Shane.

First of all, I cannot stress more how you should not be reliant on the Rolling Stone website for vintage articles, as my research has proven that they are not always correctly or completely transcribed as they originally appeared. At the very least, I suggest you add a footnote about this.

On FECC I have painstakingly captured and posted complete scans of the following Rolling Stone articles, you may use them as any good member might:

Rolling Stone #37, July 12, 1969 (pg. 1)
On the Cover of the Rolling Stone --> Elvis' debut!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66735

Rolling Stone #116, August 31, 1972 (pg. 36)
You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66754

Rolling Stone #213, May 20, 1976 (pg. 102)
Gold-Spangled Elvis (1976) -- Complete!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50887

These are not available online anywhere else but here.

And now, thanks to me, you have them to enjoy. :smt023

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have some original Rolling Stone reviews for Elvis's 70s albums, printed off from their website, that I am going to be using in a project I have been working on. What I would really like is the page number(s) of the review, so that I can reference them correctly. I'm not asking for scans or anything like this, but if anyone has these issues and has them easily to hand and could look up the page number, it would be much appreciated.

Shane.

First of all, I cannot stress more how you should not be reliant on the Rolling Stone website for vintage articles, as my research has proven that they are not always correctly or completely transcribed as they originally appeared. At the very least, I suggest you add a footnote about this.

On FECC I have painstakingly captured and posted complete scans of the following Rolling Stone articles, you may use them as any good member might:

Thank you for the information and the links. I had found your posting of the last one (and the review of the 68 comeback from April 69), but not the 1969 or 72 articles. As always, the postings of vintage articles is much appreciated.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

The doc is right. His issue is the correct one for the review of the MSG LP. The one I referred to (July 20, 1972) is a story about Elvis meeting the NY press for the first time and the MSG press conf. Sorry I messed that up so bad! It starts on page 10. The title of the article is Elvis Still King, Col. Still Col. I apologize for any confusion.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:09 am

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

The doc is right. His issue is the correct one for the review of the MSG LP. The one I referred to (July 20, 1972) is a story about Elvis meeting the NY press for the first time and the MSG press conf. Sorry I messed that up so bad! It starts on page 10. The title of the article is Elvis Still King, Col. Still Col. I apologize for any confusion.

No problem. :)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

I realized why I got confused. I had the MSG review tucked inside that Paul Simon issue. As Doc stated, the MSG review is from the Aug. 31st issue. I am reading it now and it is generally favorable. I also remember a review of TTWII LP they did in late 1970 or early 1971. They were not kind to it. They thought his singing was great but questioned the song selections. It was the first time the dreaded MOR word was used and a compare to the Memphis album was made if I recall correctly. I used to have all this stuff, but sold most of them years ago.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:05 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

I realized why I got confused. I had the MSG review tucked inside that Paul Simon issue. As Doc stated, the MSG review is from the Aug. 31st issue. I am reading it now and it is generally favorable. I also remember a review of TTWII LP they did in late 1970 or early 1971. They were not kind to it. They thought his singing was great but questioned the song selections. It was the first time the dreaded MOR word was used and a compare to the Memphis album was made if I recall correctly. I used to have all this stuff, but sold most of them years ago.

The MSG review is remarkably favourable - although some of the comments makes you wonder if the writer was familiar with Elvis's recent output. I Can't Stop Loving You is a surprise?!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:39 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

The MSG review is remarkably favourable - although some of the comments makes you wonder if the writer was familiar with Elvis's recent output. I Can't Stop Loving You is a surprise?!

It is favourable, because it is a damn fine record - maybe his best live record. Lots of people here think that Elvis was just rushing and eager to leave the stage, but I think that the show had intensive pacing, because Elvis simply tried to knock the socks off from his audience.

As mentioned in the review, the rhythm group is extremely tight. The band is really rocking. I think that Tutt, Scheff and maybe Burton too play better than ever. In the Memphis-recording Bardwell plays bass and it just isn't the same anymore - he does not have what it takes. For example, he ruins Polk Salad Annie. (OK, the track obviously was not included in the orginal album)

Another thing that I find nice about MSG: Elvis concentrates on the music and not on the stand up comedy. Already in 1969 his constant joking is sometimes disturbing. The Memphis concert in its unedited form is a bit lame with all that fooling around, and that's why I prefer the orginal album.

As this review also shows: not EVERY listener waited Elvis to sing only his past hits from the 1950s and 1960s. People - still today - have different expectations from performers.

Summa summarum: maybe Elvis did after all earn some favourable reviews even after 1959. He had his moments in the 70s, believe it or not. And I think that you, Shane, believe it too.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

It is favourable, because it is a damn fine record - maybe his best live record. Lots of people here think that Elvis was just rushing and eager to leave the stage, but I think that the show had intensive pacing, because Elvis simply tried to knock the socks off from his audience.

As mentioned in the review, the rhythm group is extremely tight. The band is really rocking. I think that Tutt, Scheff and maybe Burton too play better than ever. In the Memphis-recording Bardwell plays bass and it just isn't the same anymore - he does not have what it takes. For example, he ruins Polk Salad Annie. (OK, the track obviously was not included in the orginal album)

Another thing that I find nice about MSG: Elvis concentrates on the music and not on the stand up comedy. Already in 1969 his constant joking is sometimes disturbing. The Memphis concert in its unedited form is a bit lame with all that fooling around, and that's why I prefer the orginal album.

As this review also shows: not EVERY listener waited Elvis to sing only his past hits from the 1950s and 1960s. People - still today - have different expectations from performers.

Summa summarum: maybe Elvis did after all earn some favourable reviews even after 1959. He had his moments in the 70s, believe it or not. And I think that you, Shane, believe it too.

I never said I didn't believe it - but I have never believed that MSG is a great record. It might have been a great event. A great concert. but not a great record.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

I never said I didn't believe it - but I have never believed that MSG is a great record. It might have been a great event. A great concert. but not a great record.

Well, to each his own, I guess.

The record sold well and it got favourable reviews. It has brought Elvis many fans. Musically it is one of the most tightest live recordings from The King. But let's not forget: it is not good.

It will be interesting to read how you are going to analyze the review (maybe even other reviews) and remind the readers that the record is just another failure.

This kind of reminds me of the recent Stax release: when the CD came out and had some very positive reviews, some people here were unpleasently surprised and did not waiste another minute to remind us all that Elvis' Stax recordings are really NOT good.

For some fans it is a question of identity: by constantly reminding other fans about Elvis' shortcomings and overcritizing his recordings they think that they more serious fans. (And what we have now is a forum of parrots repeating the same negative things over and over again.)

Please, take a listen of the concert that Rolling Stones gave in MSG in 1972. It was a legendary year for the Stones on the road - I among many other Stones fans love it too. When I do compare these two gigs, I understand why Tutt and Scheff are praised in this review. I'm not saying that Elvis' band is better than the Stones or that Stones are better than Elvis, but it may give some perspective. Or compare Elvis' performance to John Lennon's concert in MSG. Lennon gig is classic stuff, but musically... far away for Elvis' performance - which I'm told, is not good at all.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Well, to each his own, I guess.

The record sold well and it got favourable reviews. It has brought Elvis many fans. Musically it is one of the most tightest live recordings from The King. But let's not forget: it is not good.

It will be interesting to read how you are going to analyze the review (maybe even other reviews) and remind the readers that the record is just another failure.

This kind of reminds me of the recent Stax release: when the CD came out and had some very positive reviews, some people here were unpleasently surprised and did not waiste another minute to remind us all that Elvis' Stax recordings are really NOT good.

For some fans it is a question of identity: by constantly reminding other fans about Elvis' shortcomings and overcritizing his recordings they think that they more serious fans. (And what we have now is a forum of parrots repeating the same negative things over and over again.)

Please, take a listen of the concert that Rolling Stones gave in MSG in 1972. It was a legendary year for the Stones on the road - I among many other Stones fans love it too. When I do compare these two gigs, I understand why Tutt and Scheff are praised in this review. I'm not saying that Elvis' band is better than the Stones or that Stones are better than Elvis, but it may give some perspective. Or compare Elvis' performance to John Lennon's concert in MSG. Lennon gig is classic stuff, but musically... far away for Elvis' performance - which I'm told, is not good at all.

Albert, you and I have been on here together long enough for you to know that I don't fall into particular camp when it comes to Elvis's recordings. I stand up for many of Elvis's 70s recordings, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to knock the ones that I think are not so good. Indeed, I have often championed, for example, the live Memphis show, the Today album, Moody Blue, and a number of the recordings from the Stax sessions. But that doesn't mean I also have to champion the 1971 studio recordings (as a whole) or MSG if I don't think they deserve to be praised.

I have my own mind, and I'm not interested in following any school of thought. I speak as I find, and I'm not going to let a review by anyone sway me one way or the other with regards to what I think of a recording or a concert. What you and others need to remember is that just because RS says something is good doesn't mean it is, and just because I say something is mediocre doesn't mean it is either.

It's fascinating to hear people's opinions on music, film, books and theatre - and, as long as they can state their case with evidence to back up their comments, all reviews are worth reading. But that doesn't mean they are right. I recently wrote in another thread about Goldman's view of the 68 comeback in his book. He takes the same elements of the special that we find great and makes a surprisingly good case as to why those elements are what makes the show bad. It doesn't mean he's right, but at least he backs up his ideas (in that instance).

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
Albert, you and I have been on here together long enough for you to know that I don't fall into particular camp when it comes to Elvis's recordings. I stand up for many of Elvis's 70s recordings, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to knock the ones that I think are not so good. Indeed, I have often championed, for example, the live Memphis show, the Today album, Moody Blue, and a number of the recordings from the Stax sessions. But that doesn't mean I also have to champion the 1971 studio recordings (as a whole) or MSG if I don't think they deserve to be praised.

I have my own mind, and I'm not interested in following any school of thought. I speak as I find, and I'm not going to let a review by anyone sway me one way or the other with regards to what I think of a recording or a concert. What you and others need to remember is that just because RS says something is good doesn't mean it is, and just because I say something is mediocre doesn't mean it is either.

It's fascinating to hear people's opinions on music, film, books and theatre - and, as long as they can state their case with evidence to back up their comments, all reviews are worth reading. But that doesn't mean they are right. I recently wrote in another thread about Goldman's view of the 68 comeback in his book. He takes the same elements of the special that we find great and makes a surprisingly good case as to why those elements are what makes the show bad. It doesn't mean he's right, but at least he backs up his ideas (in that instance).

Yes, I know that you are not one of those unhappy campers. For example, your views about 1974 live record do not represent the main stream -thinking around here either. Maybe I'm just a bit amazed that you don't find anything positive about MSG. To be honest, I was not that interested about MSG myself before the legacy version which really opened up my ears - and my nose.

I do not read Rolling Stone like Bible as some people certainly do. Today the magazine is almost a joke. However, I find this particular article well-written and analytical, and I do agree with it. Is the reviewer right? Well, is there any reviews that are simply right or wrong? And if you find a review that surprises you, are going to check your own arguments and opinions or just dismiss the article and try to prove it wrong?

Anyway, I just hope that someday you'll find pleasure from MSG shows that for some people represent one of the higlights of 1970s.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

Yes, I know that you are not one of those unhappy campers. For example, your views about 1974 live record do not represent the main stream -thinking around here either. Maybe I'm just a bit amazed that you don't find anything positive about MSG. To be honest, I was not that interested about MSG myself before the legacy version which really opened up my ears - and my nose.

I do not read Rolling Stone like Bible as some people certainly do. Today the magazine is almost a joke. However, I find this particular article well-written and analytical, and I do agree with it. Is the reviewer right? Well, is there any reviews that are simply right or wrong? And if you find a review that surprises you, are going to check your own arguments and opinions or just dismiss the article and try to prove it wrong?

Anyway, I just hope that someday you'll find pleasure from MSG shows that for some people represent one of the higlights of 1970s.

I never said that I found nothing positive in the album, simply that I didn't believe it was a great record.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

I never said that I found nothing positive in the album, simply that I didn't believe it was a great record.

I believe in the man in the white jumpsuit and his black sideburns. And I'm truly eager to read what you have to say about the album.

It's a damn fine record...

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:15 am

It is a damn fine record and I wore it out when I purchased it in 1972.

Rolling Stone's review on the Today album was a mixed bag too. IIRC, they said Elvis was the best singer ever and then went on about all the things that were wrong with the album. Interesting take.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

I believe in the man in the white jumpsuit and his black sideburns. And I'm truly eager to read what you have to say about the album.

It's a damn fine record...

If you think that Elvis rushing through the set so quickly that it sounds like he might have forgotten to pee before going on stage makes a damn fine record. Add a number of throwaway hits, recordings of Suspicious Minds, Trilogy, Can't Stop Loving You, Polk Salad Annie and Lovin' Feelin' that are inferior to previous live versions, and the inclusion of For The Good Times - one of the blandest of all songs/arrangements Elvis performed. So, yeah, a damn fine record.

The impact was no doubt much greater if you were there, I don't deny that. However, without the visuals it just doesn't work for me on record. It seems to switch between manic and lazy - and the mix on the original release (as reviewed by RS) was chronic.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shane.

First of all thanks for the link and ofcourse the uploads.

Second. Any chance you can make those scans a pdf and re-upload them,cause i can't open them
as a file cause it says .php,wich my browser doesn't understand. Thusfar i can't rename it as
a .pdf file or.jpg cause then it is not understand by my system OS.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
If you think that Elvis rushing through the set so quickly that it sounds like he might have forgotten to pee before going on stage makes a damn fine record. Add a number of throwaway hits, recordings of Suspicious Minds, Trilogy, Can't Stop Loving You, Polk Salad Annie and Lovin' Feelin' that are inferior to previous live versions, and the inclusion of For The Good Times - one of the blandest of all songs/arrangements Elvis performed. So, yeah, a damn fine record.

The impact was no doubt much greater if you were there, I don't deny that. However, without the visuals it just doesn't work for me on record. It seems to switch between manic and lazy - and the mix on the original release (as reviewed by RS) was chronic.

Maybe you forgot to pee before you started to listen to the record, and now you are pissing on it. I know that this "rushing" is one of the most popular key words here, but I'm not actually annoyed about the fast tempo: as I already wrote, I don't think that Elvis was in a hurry to anywhere, he is bulldozing - it is about power, force and energy. The whole recording has a great and very intensive vibe.

The setlist is actually the ultimate Elvis setlist: we have 2001 theme for the first time, his first record, more or less contemporary music, Elvis' old hits, American Trilogy (an important song in Elvis canon), For The Good Times represents the Priscilla-catalogue, Impossible Dream is a key song to Elvis' own world in 1971-72 (you can compare it with the Jaycees-speech), a song from Elvis Country... That's Elvis, man! Only gospel is missing.

Lovin' Feeling is actually better than/ or as good as in 1970, Polk Salad Annie is truly one of the highlights with the dynamite bass solo, American Trilogy maybe not be better than the single version but it is not bad either. I Can't Stop Loving You is not one of my favourites, but it is a powerful performance. Never Been To Spain is one of the best things Elvis ever did on stage in the 70s. About throwaways: Love Me Tender gets a rare no-joke rendition, and only All Shook Up and Teddy Bear/Don't B Cruel are big letdowns. Even Hound Dog has a new twist.

Elvis' voice is strong and commanding. The band - as already said - is tighter than ever. The setlist of a mixture of everything in Elvis style. There is no jokes or any other bullsh*t between the songs, just Elvis going for it while Tutt and Scheff are playing like never before. Is it perfect? No. Is it a damn fine record? Yes.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:03 am

It is a damn fine record, even if You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and Polk Salad are quite beneath the standard of 1970.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:13 am

stevelecher wrote:It is a damn fine record, even if You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and Polk Salad are quite beneath the standard of 1970.

You think so? Lovin' Feeling is a superb version. OK, 1970 arrangement of Polk Salad Annie may be better, but the rocking MSG version is great anyway.

I'm glad that you appreciate the record.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 am

moffringa wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:First of all, I cannot stress more how you should not be reliant on the Rolling Stone website for vintage articles, as my research has proven that they are not always correctly or completely transcribed as they originally appeared. At the very least, I suggest you add a footnote about this.

First of all thanks for the link and ofcourse the uploads.

Second. Any chance you can make those scans a pdf and re-upload them,cause i can't open them
as a file cause it says .php,wich my browser doesn't understand. Thusfar i can't rename it as
a .pdf file or.jpg cause then it is not understand by my system OS.

The images are in JPG format. Open each in its own window and you'll be easily able to save it from there.