Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Going to Memphis

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:14 am

I will be in Memphis next Monday with nothing scheduled. I will be arriving at about 10:30 in the morning and have no plans until later in the day when I can check into my hotel. Other than the obvious being Graceland and Sun, anything else high on the list to go to? Also, as far as tour packages, which is the best one? I'm thinking the second one as I don't need all of what the top offers and I want to see the planes. As far as food, I'm a BBQ fan so any suggestions would be welcome. I'll be staying at the Econo Lodge Inn & Suites on Elvis Presley Blvd. Decent place for anyone that's been there? I got a reservation there because it's in close proximity to Graceland. Lastly, I love used book stores and CD/record stores that have bootlegs. Any places anyone would recommend would be appreciated. And I guess I didn't mention it, this will be my first trip to Memphis.

Re: Going to Memphis

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Here is a good recordstore in Memphis:
http://shangri.com/

There are lots of shops at EP Boulevard that sells records,cd,DVD. :smt006

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks Svallen!! Very much appreciated.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 pm

johngael wrote:As far as food, I'm a BBQ fan so any suggestions would be welcome.

For barbecue - The Rendezvous

http://www.hogsfly.com/TheRestaurant.php

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Butchers downtown is a great restaurant

wish you a great time in memphis

:smt006

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I ended up opting for the VIP tour so I can see everything. I figure this may be my only time there so I may as well go big. I appreciate the two people who gave me some options for dining. If anyone else has any thoughts I would welcome any input.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:57 pm

The Civil Rights Museum is very impressive. The downtown trolley is a very convenient way of getting around downtown. Have fun!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

Coletta's Restaurant check out the Elvis room ,The Arcade restaurant ,and non EP, Gibson guitar Factory Tour.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 am

I'm a big fan of Marlowe's BBQ, just down the road from Graceland. VIP is worth the extra money, IMO. Go back to the mansion as many times as you want. Specifically, go back right before it closes. You'll quite possibly be alone in portions of Elvis' house, and you might even have a private moment in the Meditation Garden (I did). Experiencing it like this is truly surreal.