Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Your favorite celebrity that elvis met ?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:36 pm

TheMaskedClown wrote:
ian wrote:
dannyboy1 wrote:You beat me to it, denny.

Six Million Dollar Man was my favourite show as a kid, so I always liked Lee Majors. I used to run in slo-mo and everything.
So Lee Majors is still a sentimental favourite.

Of course, I could mention Bill Bixby from The Incredible Hulk. I'm sure Elvis met him on a movie set once or twice.

He's great and real cool in The Big Valley too, "Do tell"!! 8) The Six Million Dollar Man was one of my favourites!! 8)

Bill Bixby and Lee Majors were rumoured to be friendly with Elvis. Is this true?

Yes. 8)

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:57 pm

dennyelvis wrote:
but did u know Lee asked Elvis to feature in an Episode ?

where have you heard that ? just curious ......

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:Screaming Lord Sutch. He was a good friend of mine.

Lord Sutch_Elvis_1969.jpg

So what did he tell you about Elvis?

He said it was the only time he was ever 'star-struck' "I got Elvis' autograph but he never asked me for mine" :smt003

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Cary Grant!
elvispresley-carygrant.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 am

Love the Paul Lichter answer. They were pretty good friends.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 am

Barbra Streisand. And I plan to see her in concert in a few weeks.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

tcb4 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:
but did u know Lee asked Elvis to feature in an Episode ?

where have you heard that ? just curious ......

I saw a transcript of an interview he gave, around early 90s, it was one of the few regrets concerning the TV show that he couldnt get his friend Elvis into an ep, playing himself of course, he hinted that part of the plot might have been Steve Austin joining his MM as protection, but alas he couldnt swing it past the Col. .............

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Joe Namath

"But I met Elvis. I knew him a little bit. I will love Elvis forever for one thing: the way he treated my father. I took my father to see him in Vegas. My father loved Elvis. We went backstage afterward. My father and Elvis got along. They sat on couch for a half hour, maybe 40 minutes, just talking about everything. It was something to see, my father and Elvis, just sitting there, bull****ing about football and music."
-Joe Namath

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Nice Namath quote, but you left out the source and date.

Off Broadway Joe
Joe Namath, erstwhile Super Bowl hero and playboy and sometime actor, now has the best role of his life: family man
Leigh Montville, Sports Illustrated
July 14, 1997

"Who'd you meet who was famous?" I ask.

"All kinds of people," Namath says. "John Wayne. Was there anyone bigger than that? The Duke."

"Who else?"

"Frank Sinatra," Namath says. "I used to drink with Sinatra and Dean Martin and Sammy Davis at Jilly's in New York. Those guys were crazy. They stayed up all night. Every night. They didn't have anything to do in the morning. Didn't have to get up. Me, I had to go to practice. The good thing, though, was that the Jets practiced late. I didn't have to be there until noon. I could stay up pretty late and still get some sleep before practice started."

The four dogs who live in the white wooden house on the banks of the Loxahatchee River—Friska and Palm and Augustus and Scout, who is named after the girl in To Kill a Mockingbird—are awake. They are all of different breeds, these dogs, all of different sizes. They hurry in circle: bouncing off one another, looking as if they were part of a circus act. They are crazy with the excitement of a new day. Their toenails clatter across the white wooden porch.

"Who else?" I ask. "The Beatles?"

"No, I never met the Beatles," Namath say "But I met Elvis. I knew him a little bit. I will love Elvis forever for one thing: the way he treated my father. I took my father to see him in Vegas. My father loved Elvis. We went backstage afterward. My father and Elvis got along. They sat on couch for a half hour, maybe 40 minutes, just talking about everything. It was something to see, my father and Elvis, just sitting there, bull————about football and music."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1010392/index.htm

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Gene Vincent.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Probably Tony Prince, the Radio Luxembourg presenter, but also equally appreciated were Jimmy Tarbuck, Jackie Wilson, Fats Domino, James Brown, BB King, Sammy Davis Jr and Ali. All of them spoke affectionately of him as a person first and the entertainer second.

But thinking about it again, Ali - because Ali stood up like the hero for his race and for his new religion (Islam), at a time when it was tough to be like that. And then for him to become and stay friends with Elvis (as well as to carry his late friend's photo around in his wallet) I think, says a great deal about Ali's emotional intelligence and unwillingness to always follow the crowd. Their pictures together, especially the one where a beaming Ali had put his arm around Elvis, is wonderful on many levels.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:22 am

Great question since this is one of those cases where the same question about anyone else would be both pointless and invariably yield a much less interesting reply, the latter in view of the answers celebrities who met Elvis gave, and still give, when popped the question of whether they met, and if so, what was their reaction to meeting him.

It is not just that only a few celebrities have such a vast fandon, but even fewer have been admired as much, by their peers, precisely because they met with that person. It is usually the other way around, with big, icon-sized celebrities and I've yet to see, hear, or read any big celebrity talk about being disappointed after meeting Elvis. Quite to the contrary, they are, and speak in awe of the moments they shared together, even if the meeting was only for a few seconds.

In short, if I could be a fly on the wall, and could come back in time, I would have loved to be there when Presley first met Ali.

Second in my list would be his only meeting with the Beatles.

And, thirdly, when he first met Clint Eastwood.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 am

Muhammad Ali
Barbra Streisand

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 am

EPA4368 wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Beatles

+1

It's a shame no photos taken of them all together when they met in '65

Yes, that is extremely sad that no photo of the 5 of them together was taken.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Beatles

+1

It's a shame no photos taken of them all together when they met in '65

Yes, that is extremely sad that no photo of the 5 of them together was taken.

Or ... if there is a photo of Elvis, John, Paul, George and Ringo, we have never seen it.

How awesome it would be if one surfaced!

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Yes, that is extremely sad that no photo of the 5 of them together was taken.

Or ... if there is a photo of Elvis, John, Paul, George and Ringo, we have never seen it.

Funny, no one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded music with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he proudly hung on the wall of his dressing room and showed off to a U.K. journalist
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna

Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964

And, of course, they loved him very, very much.

Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:No picture will ever surface...The beatles were too ugly to get their picture made with the King! Word~!

:lol:

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Doc, you're absolutely right but in 1974 he had in his home the Led Zeppelin guys as guests. But, of course, Elvis never recorded (too bad) one of their songs comparing to The Beatles.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:41 pm

McCartney and Buddy Holly.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Yes, that is extremely sad that no photo of the 5 of them together was taken.

Funny, no one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded music with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he proudly hung on the wall of his dressing room and showed off to a U.K. journalist
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna

Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964

And, of course, they loved him very, very much.

Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964

I'm surprised that John, Paul, George or Ringo didn't request to have a photo taken with him for their own personal collection.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm sure they had pictures taken, no matter what is said in regard of any management agreements.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Fats Domino
Mahalia Jackson
BB King
Led Zeppelin

I'm a fan of them too :wink:

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 pm

In reply to John Carpenters comments above. The Beatles most definatly liked Elvis very very much, but as has been pointed out repeatedly, Elvis most likely didn't like the Beatles much at all.

In answer to the eight points raised;

1. Tom Parker would have sent the gifts, no doubt Elvis went along with it, just like all the telegrams etc. sent to other artists over the years.
2. Would be interesting to know the conversation!
3.Tom Parker and Brian Epstein arranged this meeting, by all accounts Elvis was only luke warm on the idea, stating that he "didn't particulary enjoy having strangers in his home".
4. Elvis was the first long haired singer in the modern era. the rest of humanity eventually caught up. Ignoring this, everyone (almost) grew their hair long as the 60's and in particular the 70's progressed.
5. A shame, it is the orchestra IMO, that ruined many of his later records. Of course, he may have belatedly been copying Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane and many others.
6.They were the 2nd biggest thing in the entertainment field, he would show this off as a statement.
7. A professional singer would own many records by contempary artists, as he did.
8.You don't have to like a singer or group to appreciate some of their records. As a non song writer, Elvis would pick songs by any song writing team that he liked and was able to record.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Clint Eastwood
Lee Majors
Bill Monroe
Andy Griffith
Carrol O'connor
Fats Domino
Johnny Cash
Dottie West

I didn't know elvis and carol o connor met. a story online about it?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, you're absolutely right but in 1974 he had in his home the Led Zeppelin guys as guests. But, of course, Elvis never recorded (too bad) one of their songs comparing to The Beatles.

Just john paul Jones and one of their managers. the rest met him at his hotel across from The Forum in LA. But Elvis apparently from all accounts enjoyed himself more with led Zeppelin. No awkwardness and they did not disrespect him like somebody else did in 1965.