Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
minkahed wrote:Well, considering , "Return To Sender", rivaled Elvis' other biggest hit, "Are You Lonesome Tonight", with 2 million in sales for the decade of the 1960's, and despite the fact that Elvis himself said in that 1962 interview recorded on the set of, "Girls, Girls, Girls" that he always picked his own records or the best songs, this thread also gives credence about Elvis' lack of artistic merit for not writing his own material.

I recommended that a few of my musician friends view this forum after I kinda transfered them into Elvis fans, only for them to come back to me and confirm that they said, "See, not only did not write his own stuff, he didn't care about his songs either?" .... UGH

This was not my intention for them to come here and read this and it's so easy for people to take things out of context or fabricate truths, but I just don't think in this case ths thread was a good thing.

I know Doc meant well, but in this case, if someone comes on this board and reads this kind of stuff, it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist, but when you post that Elv is didn't care about his own creation/s, it doesn't help his legacy, IMHO.


This board is not for casual people who happen to like a few songs, but for collectors and fans. There is a vast difference. This is one of the articles that tells us more about Presley and the way he worked than a dozen books put together. Do you really want us self-censoring things that might not show Elvis in a totally positive light in case someone happens to come across it who might not view Elvis in the same way afterwards? Should we really now censor every thread that involves any hints of bad songs, a lax attitude to his work, drugs, poor shows, poor movies? Why not just close the board down completely?

The most ridiculous thing about your comment is that Elvis gave the interview to a newspaper and knew it was going to be published. So he obviously wasn't ashamed of what he said or thought, and the article was published for all to see 50 years ago!


Uh, duncsky, That wasn't my comment/s, but those of others.

I've known plenty of people that are dedicated talented musicians, music lovers and love Elvis, only to stop by this board and get completely turned off by the ludicrous, childlike, immature and foolish comments made by our supposed superiors, such as your self, poormadpeter.

You must be really mad peter. or poor, or both.

Before you make erroneous assumptions and false speculations, proof read your drivel that's foaming at your mouf.

Thank You !!!

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 pm

minkahed wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
minkahed wrote:Well, considering , "Return To Sender", rivaled Elvis' other biggest hit, "Are You Lonesome Tonight", with 2 million in sales for the decade of the 1960's, and despite the fact that Elvis himself said in that 1962 interview recorded on the set of, "Girls, Girls, Girls" that he always picked his own records or the best songs, this thread also gives credence about Elvis' lack of artistic merit for not writing his own material.

I recommended that a few of my musician friends view this forum after I kinda transfered them into Elvis fans, only for them to come back to me and confirm that they said, "See, not only did not write his own stuff, he didn't care about his songs either?" .... UGH

This was not my intention for them to come here and read this and it's so easy for people to take things out of context or fabricate truths, but I just don't think in this case ths thread was a good thing.

I know Doc meant well, but in this case, if someone comes on this board and reads this kind of stuff, it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist, but when you post that Elv is didn't care about his own creation/s, it doesn't help his legacy, IMHO.


This board is not for casual people who happen to like a few songs, but for collectors and fans. There is a vast difference. This is one of the articles that tells us more about Presley and the way he worked than a dozen books put together. Do you really want us self-censoring things that might not show Elvis in a totally positive light in case someone happens to come across it who might not view Elvis in the same way afterwards? Should we really now censor every thread that involves any hints of bad songs, a lax attitude to his work, drugs, poor shows, poor movies? Why not just close the board down completely?

The most ridiculous thing about your comment is that Elvis gave the interview to a newspaper and knew it was going to be published. So he obviously wasn't ashamed of what he said or thought, and the article was published for all to see 50 years ago!


Uh, duncsky, That wasn't my comment/s, but those of others.

I've known plenty of people that are dedicated talented musicians, music lovers and love Elvis, only to stop by this board and get completely turned off by the ludicrous, childlike, immature and foolish comments made by our supposed superiors, such as your self, poormadpeter.

You must be really mad peter. or poor, or both.

Before you make erroneous assumptions and false speculations, proof read your drivel that's foaming at your mouf.

Thank You !!!


Your comments were that the reprinting of the article here should not have happened because people might take it out of context and view Elvis in a non-positive light.

My post was not ludicrous, childlike, immature or foolish; it was the common sense point of view. If you think an article such as this "doesn't help Elvis's legacy", perhaps we should delete from the catalogue the DVDs of Clambake and Harum Scarum as well? They hardly add anything positive to the Elvis legacy either.

Meanwhile, those adults among us will view the article the Doc posted as the intriguing document that it is and try and learn more from it about the man at the centre of these boards.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 pm

minkahed wrote:Well, considering , "Return To Sender", rivaled Elvis' other biggest hit, "Are You Lonesome Tonight", with 2 million in sales for the decade of the 1960's, and despite the fact that Elvis himself said in that 1962 interview recorded on the set of, "Girls, Girls, Girls" that he always picked his own records or the best songs, this thread also gives credence about Elvis' lack of artistic merit for not writing his own material.

I recommended that a few of my musician friends view this forum after I kinda transfered them into Elvis fans, only for them to come back to me and confirm that they said, "See, not only did not write his own stuff.


I never understood this point of view that some people have.

If you don't write your own songs then you aren't really talented or people will stop being fans.

A lot of other artists besides Elvis don't write their own stuff yet you never hear people say that about them.

About the article what Elvis says isn't bad if they were turned off by that then they weren't real fans to begin with.

Getting turned off of this board by the things people say on it i can understand but not turned off of Elvis.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the kind words. Finding the interview was striking because of Elvis' clearly detached attitude regarding his current musical work. He was still just 27 years old, and a huge success on all fronts.

If someone with a superficial knowledge of Presley and his career reads this and finds him lacking as an artist, it is a reflection of their own ignorance and indifference, if not outright animosity towards Elvis.

For those who dig a little deeper into the Presley mystique, this syndicated column by Bob Thomas shines a light into the mindset of the man and his music in October 1962. It serves to underscore how his career direction and management at that time was already causing negative implications for the future. Elvis was losing faith in his art, and himself.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am

What struck me was that even by Blue Hawaii Elvis seemed embarresed when meeting that girl who used to write his liner notes. I forget her name but it's in Careless Love. We often forget how young Elvis was his natural artistic inclinations started to get shoved aside. We can say now that he should have fought back, but he clearly didn't know how. He was the first in the rock and roll field with such a enormous level of fame, and had no examples to go on. Sam Phillips once commented on Elvis' inferority complex, and fame and money doesn't seem to have completely eroded that.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 am

Nice Topic John!
Always look forward to the great research you provide us. :smt023

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 am

Mike Eder wrote:What struck me was that even by Blue Hawaii Elvis seemed embarrassed when meeting that girl who used to write his liner notes. I forget her name but it's in Careless Love.

That was RCA publicist Anne Fulchino.

IIRC, she was only responsible for the liner notes to one album:

1707-lpm-cover-front.jpg
Elvis' Golden Records (RCA 1707, March 1958)
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us


1707-lpm-cover-side2-v1x1000.jpg
Elvis' Golden Records (RCA 1707, March 1958)
Note: Back cover.
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us


Anne wrote very well. Here are her superb closing paragraphs:

This long-playing album represents a success never attained by any other artist at any other time -- namely, fourteen consecutive golden records. In his unique presentation of songs, Elvis Presley has, himself, created a tradition. No matter how desperately imitators may attempt to capture his personality, Elvis will always be the innovator of a style which set an entire musical trend in motion. Here in this album is an imperishable record of what caused the loudest noise heard around the entertainment world in some years.

Whether you are for or against Elvis Presley, you will have to agree to one fact -- he is definitely in a class by himself.

Anne Fulchino
© by Radio Corporation of America, 1958

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Elvis is certainly not the only musical artist who had his ups and downs! If anyone is "turned-off" by that, then they're not interested in music in any sort of serious way. That doesn't make sense. We don't have to "sell him," or "repackage him" or any such thing. Anyone who knows music knows the extremes of Elvis Presley. And they are usually fascinated by it.

This was really a significant addition to the story of a very significant year. We certainly want to know it all: that's why we're here.

rjm (note to your fickle friends: I'm sure they'll enjoy "Gangnam Style"; Guinness Book of World Records for most YouTube "likes" -- this board, or any serious music discussion is clearly not what they're looking for)

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Mike Eder wrote:What struck me was that even by Blue Hawaii Elvis seemed embarresed when meeting that girl who used to write his liner notes. I forget her name but it's in Careless Love. We often forget how young Elvis was his natural artistic inclinations started to get shoved aside. We can say now that he should have fought back, but he clearly didn't know how. He was the first in the rock and roll field with such a enormous level of fame, and had no examples to go on. Sam Phillips once commented on Elvis' inferority complex, and fame and money doesn't seem to have completely eroded that.


The thread was a nice read and I think you are right, Mike. Stardom had to be invented and Elvis simply was not a personality like Bob Dylan to find his own way fighting the system he was in. Unfortunately.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:What struck me was that even by Blue Hawaii Elvis seemed embarrassed when meeting that girl who used to write his liner notes. I forget her name but it's in Careless Love.

That was RCA publicist Anne Fulchino.

IIRC, she was only responsible for the liner notes to one album:

1707-lpm-cover-front.jpg
Elvis' Golden Records (RCA 1707, March 1958)
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us


1707-lpm-cover-side2-v1x1000.jpg
Elvis' Golden Records (RCA 1707, March 1958)
Note: Back cover.
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us


Anne wrote very well. Here are her superb closing paragraphs:

This long-playing album represents a success never attained by any other artist at any other time -- namely, fourteen consecutive golden records. In his unique presentation of songs, Elvis Presley has, himself, created a tradition. No matter how desperately imitators may attempt to capture his personality, Elvis will always be the innovator of a style which set an entire musical trend in motion. Here in this album is an imperishable record of what caused the loudest noise heard around the entertainment world in some years.

Whether you are for or against Elvis Presley, you will have to agree to one fact -- he is definitely in a class by himself.

Anne Fulchino
© by Radio Corporation of America, 1958


Thank you she was the lady I was thinking of.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Alexander wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:What struck me was that even by Blue Hawaii Elvis seemed embarresed when meeting that girl who used to write his liner notes. I forget her name but it's in Careless Love. We often forget how young Elvis was his natural artistic inclinations started to get shoved aside. We can say now that he should have fought back, but he clearly didn't know how. He was the first in the rock and roll field with such a enormous level of fame, and had no examples to go on. Sam Phillips once commented on Elvis' inferority complex, and fame and money doesn't seem to have completely eroded that.


The thread was a nice read and I think you are right, Mike. Stardom had to be invented and Elvis simply was not a personality like Bob Dylan to find his own way fighting the system he was in. Unfortunately.

That's correct. Funny it's some of Elvis' pitfalls that help keep others like Dylan making the same mistakes. Not talking records really because Dylan has some poor ones, just in that he didn't allow himself to be trapped

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 pm

That again, Mike, is what makes Elvis "different" from the others. As you know, in many aspects he had to make up the rules as he went. Others, fortunately, learned from Elvis, even from his mistakes. It must have been so different for Elvis, trying to figure out the way..., it is easy to see how he would become "lost" occassionally. Moreover, when you add, arguably poor management to the equation, one can see how Elvis could get "down."

rlj

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm

minkahed wrote:... it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist...

It is? I wasn't aware that Elvis Presley's talent and creativity as an artist had to be proven to anyone??? If it does in your world, here's some hard-hitting evidence to help you out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
minkahed wrote:... it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist...

It is? I wasn't aware that Elvis Presley's talent and creativity as an artist had to be proven to anyone??? If it does in your world, here's some hard-hitting evidence to help you out...

Those are superb examples of his artistry.

Again, "friends" who dismiss Elvis out of hand, as in the examples on this topic, actually have zero interest in understanding and appreciating how his most exciting and innovative music reshaped history. They choose to remain ignorant, and that's their loss.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 am

I just so happened to be in Seattle last weekend, and took a few shots of the Seattle Space Needle, and the Sky City Restaurant that sits at the very top. Of course, this is where Elvis filmed some sequences for "It Happened At The World's Fair" fifty years ago.


121013_Space Needle_Seattle.JPG



121013_Sky City Restaurant_Space Needle_Seattle_01.JPG



121013_Sky City Restaurant_Space Needle_Seattle_02.JPG


It all still looks the same. And there are some amazing exhibits in the surrounding center.

The restaurant, which slowly turns clockwise as you eat, is amazing!

Space Needle | Restaurant
http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:53 am

Way cool, Doc, THANKS!!

rjm :smt006

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 am

elvis-fan wrote:
minkahed wrote:... it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist...

It is? I wasn't aware that Elvis Presley's talent and creativity as an artist had to be proven to anyone??? If it does in your world, here's some hard-hitting evidence to help you out...


Yeh, in my world ... dummie.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
minkahed wrote:... it's hard enough to prove to people Elvis' talent and creativity as an artist...

It is? I wasn't aware that Elvis Presley's talent and creativity as an artist had to be proven to anyone??? If it does in your world, here's some hard-hitting evidence to help you out...

Those are superb examples of his artistry.

Again, "friends" who dismiss Elvis out of hand, as in the examples on this topic, actually have zero interest in understanding and appreciating how his most exciting and innovative music reshaped history. They choose to remain ignorant, and that's their loss.


Actually, the musicians that visited this board have great respect for Elvis' music and creativity, it's just some ignorant imbeciles that like to manipulate and turn words around to suit their own insecurities.

Doc, those people have more musical knowledge, compassion and understanding "all kinds" of musical genres, like Elvis seemingly phrased it, than you do in your lil pinky.

Re: Elvis --> Slip-Slidin' Away In Hollywood (1962)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I just so happened to be in Seattle last weekend, and took a few shots of the Seattle Space Needle, and the Sky City Restaurant that sits at the very top. Of course, this is where Elvis filmed some sequences for "It Happened At The World's Fair" fifty years ago.


121013_Space Needle_Seattle.JPG



121013_Sky City Restaurant_Space Needle_Seattle_01.JPG



121013_Sky City Restaurant_Space Needle_Seattle_02.JPG


It all still looks the same. And there are some amazing exhibits in the surrounding center.

The restaurant, which slowly turns clockwise as you eat, is amazing!

Space Needle | Restaurant
http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/

It always looked cool in the movie. I will have to check it out one day. Thanks