‘Prince From Another Planet’ samples

Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: ‘Prince From Another Planet’ samples

Postby intheghetto » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks for posting. I think it sounds freakin amazing. I love how they've brought the band up more and really done them justice. You can really hear Jerry hitting those bass notes at the beginning of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". I mean this sounds like Elvis with a real rock band! And either they threw a little more reverb on Elvis' voice or they just added back in some of the arena ambience that wasn't there before. Whatever the case may be this is a huge improvement and I can't wait to get it in November.
Last edited by intheghetto on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
intheghetto

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:10 am

I'm sorry to say that this is not what was played the other night. What I heard was a crisp crystal clear sound mix of the evening show, where drums jumped out of the recording and the base rumbled. These samples are flat as a pancake and have no power or thump to them. If these are indeed the so-called "remixed" versions, then this is the biggest ripoff in American music history of CD sales. There is no sound improvement whatsoever from the originals to these "remixes". If anything, they are remastered at best. Maybe they delayed it to revamp their sticker to say REMASTERED FROM ORIGINAL TAPES. Because they are in no way remixed.

Another thing to note. Elvis sounds like he's singing from the NY subway station. I swear I have heard 10th generation copies that sound better than this crap.
SuspiciousMind
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.

Postby Matthew » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 am

karlos wrote:Steve Morse - When The Lp Elvis At Madison Square Gardens Was Released In '72 - It Was Colonel Tom Parker And His Team To Tell Record Manufacturers (RCA ) to speed up the sound ta make more sales on Lp - So Sound Engineers and such ppl did it - Soon after This was done -Aloha was in pipeline - Hope this helps ya enquiry - Buddy -So now u know Steve it was just for record sales ta go up and to make Elvis mo popular with fans - Okay ::rocks

No, the record was not sped up - and I'm inclined to think you know this already.
Matthew

Postby midnightx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:12 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:I'm sorry to say that this is not what was played the other night. What I heard was a crisp crystal clear sound mix of the evening show, where drums jumped out of the recording and the base rumbled. These samples are flat as a pancake and have no power or thump to them. If these are indeed the so-called "remixed" versions, then this is the biggest ripoff in American music history of CD sales. There is no sound improvement whatsoever from the originals to these "remixes". If anything, they are remastered at best. Maybe they delayed it to revamp their sticker to say REMASTERED FROM ORIGINAL TAPES. Because they are in no way remixed.

Another thing to note. Elvis sounds like he's singing from the NY subway station. I swear I have heard 10th generation copies that sound better than this crap.

Now that is a bold statement.

I haven't heard any of the new mixes or mastering. And while I am very interested in hearing the actual results, I have my doubts that this new version will be definitive. The decision to not have Vic Anesini remix and remaster the Prince From Another Planet release is curious to say the least. Perhaps the standard Legacy Edition will be different as others have suggested.
midnightx

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 am

midnightx wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:I'm sorry to say that this is not what was played the other night. What I heard was a crisp crystal clear sound mix of the evening show, where drums jumped out of the recording and the base rumbled. These samples are flat as a pancake and have no power or thump to them. If these are indeed the so-called "remixed" versions, then this is the biggest ripoff in American music history of CD sales. There is no sound improvement whatsoever from the originals to these "remixes". If anything, they are remastered at best. Maybe they delayed it to revamp their sticker to say REMASTERED FROM ORIGINAL TAPES. Because they are in no way remixed.

Now that is a bold statement.

Is it? See for yourself. Below are two links. The first is the supposed new "remix" of You've Lost That Loving Feeling from An Afternoon In The Garden. The second is a Youtube video/audio of all four NY shows. On the Youtube clip, go to the 1:11:33 mark (1 hr, 11 minutes and 33 seconds) of the very same track from the original album and play them simultaneously. You cannot tell a difference. Only difference is that Elvis sounds like he's singing backstage. Everything else sounds the same. In fact, the original is actually clearer.

http://soundcloud.com/legacyrecordings/ ... st/s-FcWcq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2B9f4G-Bsk

In fact, I challenge everyone to do this.
SuspiciousMind

Postby Blue River » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:03 am

The most disappointing aspect of this release is the fact that there wasn't any cursing by Elvis to show his human side. The least he could've done was drop a few F-bombs, MF's, and GD's throughout the band introductions. He also could've thrown in some sh*ts here 'n' there between songs just to keep things loose. It would've been brilliant of Elvis to do so because that's exactly what today's hip performers do.

I just love to hear a whole lotta' cussin'... what about you, SuspiciousMind ?
~~Blue River~~
Keeping it real.
Blue River
Banned
Banned

Postby midnightx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Is it?

Yes, it is. Even if this new MSG release does not contain great mastering or mixing; it still won't be "the biggest ripoff in American music history of CD sales." It is only an Elvis archival release with limited sales potential. It isn't a sonic abomination like 30 Number One Hits.
midnightx

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:27 am

midnightx wrote:

Yes, it is. Even if this new MSG release does not contain great mastering or mixing; it still won't be "the biggest ripoff in American music history of CD sales." It is only an Elvis archival release with limited sales potential. It isn't a sonic abomination like 30 Number One Hits.

OK, let me rephrase that then. It's the biggest ripoff among Elvis cds ever releases by RCA. And there's been some really bad ones. This one though, takes the cake.
SuspiciousMind

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:27 am

Blue River wrote:

The most disappointing aspect of this release is the fact that there wasn't any cursing by Elvis to show his human side. The least he could've done was drop a few F-bombs, MF's, and GD's throughout the band introductions. He also could've thrown in some sh*ts here 'n' there between songs just to keep things loose. It would've been brilliant of Elvis to do so because that's exactly what today's hip performers do.

Buddy, word of advice. GET OVER IT!
SuspiciousMind

Postby PiersEIN » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:52 am

Robert wrote:First impression: fine.
Horns slightly burried thank God, and James is now way more upfront.
Elvis is just right in the mix and bass drum is right where it belongs.. it's there. It was gone on the "An afternoon" release.
Now let's wait for the evening show.
That tape has more potential as there's more room for improvement.

SURE AGREE WITH THAT!
They seem to have cranked up more audience ambience (not necessarily a good thing) and more reverb on Elvis.
Not a HUGE variation in the mix - but then again 'Afternoon' was one of Dennis Ferrante's best efforts and pissed over the dull, rushed original Evening show mix.
can't wait for both CDs to properly compare.

THANKS for posting ElvisSessions,
Cheers
Piers
PiersEIN

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 am

Seriously? Your going to slag off a release before its even out? Unbelievable.
Do we know whether the clips are remastered rather than remixed I.e the basic legacy edition and not the Brauer versions? Either way wait for the actual release and judge on a decent hiding not by an mp3 file on the net.

Jamie
Gator's got me Granny.
Jamie

Postby ian » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am

Jamie wrote:

Seriously? Your going to slag off a release before its even out? Unbelievable.
Do we know whether the clips are remastered rather than remixed I.e the basic legacy edition and not the Brauer versions? Either way wait for the actual release and judge on a decent hiding not by an mp3 file on the net.

Jamie

Agreed! 8)
ian"elvis"anderson
ian

Postby RKSNASHVILLE » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:37 pm

My first impression: I thought Elvis' vocals sound a little "thin" - almost kind of 'tinny' (if that's a word) meaning 'tin like'. Like when you turn up the treble too far on your sound system.

Also, they seem too far back in the mix. Like behind the band rather than out in front of the band. I especially noticed it on the "That's All Right" sample.

I've not heard the Anisini mixes yet so I look forward to comparing the two.

Thanks for posting the samples.

RKS
RKSNASHVILLE

Postby Dan_T » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Hmmm, those samples made my ears ring, don't like the new mix, too much treble is used as mentioned aboved.

I hope they actual CD's sound better, I've pre-ordered the 3 Disc version.
Dan_T

Postby billyblues » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:My first impression: I thought Elvis' vocals sound a little "thin" - almost kind of 'tinny' (if that's a word) meaning 'tin like'. Like when you turn up the treble too far on your sound system.

Also, they seem too far back in the mix. Like behind the band rather than out in front of the band. I especially noticed it on the "That's All Right" sample.

That was exactly what I noticed too.
Thank you, Blue River.
billyblues

Postby Brian Quinn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Sounds fantastic to me and a GREAT improvement over the original release. Can't wait to get this one.

Brian 8)
Brian Quinn

Postby dennyelvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I started working on both shows when this release was announced, it will give u something to compare to at least

Heres two samples from the afternoon show

You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie

http://en.packupload.com/966WETP1K4Z
Last edited by dennyelvis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess."

dennyelvis

Postby dennyelvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Just took a listen to the web samples, do we know 100% these are from the finished release from the 3 disc set ? if so i am intrigued to hear Vics efforts on the Legacy release, like u guys stated, i bit tinny and hollow ?
"Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess."

dennyelvis

Postby minkahed » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
midnightx wrote:

OK, let me rephrase that then. It's the biggest ripoff among Elvis cds ever releases by RCA. And there's been some really bad ones. This one though, takes the cake.

RCA ?

Uh, in case you haven't noticed this a Sony produced product, Sony now owns the rights to the complete recorded legacy of Elvis Presley catalogue.

Anyhow, Your post is illogical, misguided and misinformed.

Please refrain from further making anymore embarassing comments and replies.

Thank You.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth
minkahed

Postby Robert » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:57 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Just took a listen to the web samples, do we know 100% these are from the finished release from the 3 disc set ? if so i am intrigued to hear Vics efforts on the Legacy release, like u guys stated, i bit tinny and hollow ?

It's gotta be from the new set, as it's a brand new mix.
I don't agree it's tinny. I do think the drums and Fender bass always sounded much better on the evening show.
I guess it's the nature of the recording.

It may sound a bit "hollow", I'd like to call it "ambient" as a slight reverb may be used.
Still, I think it's an improvement but it's a matter of taste.

Curious on how the Anesini master will sound.
I may buy 'm both 8)
Robert

Postby Blue River » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Buddy, word of advice. GET OVER IT!

:lol: Okay... just having some fun. I'm over it.

As for the newly mixed sound on Prince From Another Planet we will all know for sure after it's officially released. I'm still getting it regardless.
~~Blue River~~
Keeping it real.
Blue River
Banned
Banned

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

minkahed wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
midnightx wrote:

RCA ?

Uh, in case you haven't noticed this a Sony produced product, Sony now owns the rights to the complete recorded legacy of Elvis Presley catalogue.

Thank You.

Misguided? Exactly where was anything I posted misguided? The last time I checked, RCA was still the record company. Sony is the distributor. I had a friend to listen to the same two samples that I posted on this thread to take a listen and he too heard no difference except in Elvis' vocals being lowered in the mix. Oh, and he preferred the original mix over the supposed newer one. And that's not saying much. And he's not even an Elvis fan to begin with. I played my two samples through a home theater system and not through some tiny computer speakers that most on here are probably doing when hearing them.

So nothing that I posted was misguided.
SuspiciousMind

Postby frus75 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 pm

It won't be fair to compare a brand new mix with a high budget with an Anesini remaster, because Vic won't be able to benefit of working from scratch. In other words, if you give a shitt* mixed song to Vic so he can only remaster it , you'll end up with a clear, high definition sh*t (like frankie and johnny). Wanna make fair A to A tests? Then compare 2nd cd of in person with second cd of viva Las Vegas.
Iván

La voz del Rey
frus75

Postby Tim C » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Sounds like a throwback to the loudness wars to me. No definition, Most everything sounding the same level of Elvis voice with the exception of the horns. I'd say keep it if it weren't for the fact I pre-ordered the 3 disc set and I hope this mix is a joke.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, the really great make you feel great too
- Mark Twain
Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt. Chase after money and security and your heart will never unclench. Care about people’s approval and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.
- Tao Te Ching
Tim C

Postby elvis-fan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm

minkahed wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:OK, let me rephrase that then. It's the biggest ripoff among Elvis cds ever releases by RCA. And there's been some really bad ones. This one though, takes the cake.

Thank You.

smt182
Brad
elvis-fan

PreviousNext

Return to All Elvis