‘Prince From Another Planet’ samples

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Charley Rogers
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Re: ‘Prince From Another Planet’ samples

Post by Charley Rogers »

Today i've read in a fanclub magazine that there will be a Legacy release as "Madison Square Garden" (only the shows) and the luxe release as Prince From Another Planet with a bigger book and package + dvd. The deluxe version has the two live shows and the DVD.

According to the article the DVD has the complete audio from the afternoon show with approx. 20 minutes of 8mm video filmed by a fan. That's All Right Mama is complete. There's also a 20 minute documentary with footage from the pressconference from June 9, 1972, material from the evening and afternoon show, interviews with Lenny Kaye, James Burton, Glenn Hardin, Joe Guercio and Jerry Schilling.

After reading this i think i will definately will buy the "Prince" (deluxe) version but it's sad to read that the video only has 20 minutes of playtime. too bad it's not the full show in 8mm video but only 20 minutes. but i'll know for sure when i've seen it ofcourse.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by paulsweeney »

I for one can't wait for this release to arrive. Since hearing samples in Memphis, I've been looking forward to this CD/DVD set.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years

Post by frus75 »

It's 16,49€ on amazon Spain

Iván

La voz del Rey

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Charley Rogers wrote:too bad it's not the full show in 8mm video but only 20 minutes.
That's a tad 'glass half empty'. The fact that any footage exists in this quality is quite special. That it's being officially released and meticulously married with the professional audio is quite remarkable.

TheMaskedClown
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by TheMaskedClown »

Lisa Rose wrote:Is €25.29 a good price for this set? (2CD +DVD)

http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/(deleted- see guidelines #9)/88691953882/product.htm
Seems a bit high to me.

bajo
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by bajo »

Ernst has now confirmed that the "Prince..." set includes the newly remixed versions of the concerts and the DVD.
As Recorded At Madison Square Garden double CD set includes the original mixes. (Most probably with the latest remastered versions as on the CM set).

http://flaming-star.no/ernst-j%c3%b8rgensen-om-prince-from-another-planet/#more-13560

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Elvis Australia
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Elvis Australia »

Yes this is from my 'Q and A Interview' with Ernst from yesterday : As posted in the Tupelo thread by mistake, here it is with a bit more info again added today.

The following are questions from myself to Ernst and his answers.

Are both concerts remixed by Michael Brauer?

Yes.

Are the CDs in the CD only release also remixed by Michael Brauer, or if not by who?

No - the original mixes as they were in 1972 & 1997.

Why does the CD only release have the old mixes and only the deluxe set the new 2012 Michael Brauer mixes?

The reasoning is that we also wanted to make sure that the originals are available - preserving history if you will. The LEGACY edition is for the main market primarily, and the deluxe version is for the fans.

The remixes are meant for the collectors who most certainly have the originals anyway.

Does Sony have the multi-track masters for both concerts?

Yes.

The Vinyl Release

The vinyl release will have the original mixes. [Source : Sony]

And in regard to a re-print of A Boy From Tupelo.

No decision to reprint A BOY FROM TUPELO is taken. At this time I don’t expect that this will happen.

[Edited 18/10 - changed remastered in second question to re-mixed, this is what Ernst understood the question to be and what it was mean to be. And thus his answer remains unchanged.]
Last edited by Elvis Australia on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

Elvis Australia wrote:The following are questions from myself to Ernst and his answers.
Are both concerts remixed by Michael Brauer?
Yes.
Are the CDs in the CD only release also remastered by Michael Brauer, or if not by who?
No – original mixes 1982 & 1997.
Why does the CD only release have the old mixes and only the deluxe set the new 2012 Michael Brauer mixes?
The reasoning is that we also wanted to make sure that the original's are available - preserving history if you will. The LEGACY edition is for the main market primarily, and the deluxe version is for the fans.
The remixes are meant for the collectors who most certainly have the originals anyway.
Does Sony have the multi-track masters for both concerts?
Yes.
Interestingly the SONY AUSTRALIA official publicity promotion actually states that the LEGACY (Australia) 2-CD only version features the Michael Brauer mixes as well!
So I also asked Ernst about this (surely the Australian version isn't different) who stated that,
"I have nothing to do with International releases. The last I heard about the US release was that they stayed with the original mixes, but maybe something changed."

I guess will see what happens when they finally come out!
I can't wait!

Cheers
Piers

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by drghanem »

Seems we have to go with the deluxe-edition then, thanks for clearing the matter. I don´t need the 1992 and 1997 mixes once again. I just read in July 1972-issue of La Voix D´Elvis by Claude Liberte that "They filmed part of the Friday night and Saturday Night shows to be included in Standing Room Only; in New York."

Further there´s a note to the Colonel reagrding the utterly bad Elvis sings hits from his movies volume 1:
"The ugly: The one responsible for those things to happen (album-decisions were critisized):
Dear Colonel, everybody knows that you have to be some genious to rule out a career like you did, But when it comes to the record business, I think you´ve been running out of vitamin E. You should ask ELVIS to give you quite a few of those large doses. Don´t forget that the fans are the major buyesr and, as you should know, the client is always right...think about it."

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

mocskoskurva
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by mocskoskurva »

drghanem wrote:Dear Colonel, everybody knows that you have to be some genious to rule out a career like you did, But when it comes to the record business, I think you´ve been running out of vitamin E. You should ask ELVIS to give you quite a few of those large doses. Don´t forget that the fans are the major buyesr and, as you should know, the client is always right...think about it."
Haha, that's a good one! :lol:

memfisking
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by memfisking »

Does anyone have the Venus release "Operation Big Apple"? Given the apparent fantastic sound quality of their releases, how do people think it will compare to the new Sony releases?

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

There is nothing at all fantastic about Operation Big Apple. There are a number of earlier posts about it, if you're interested in searching.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Blue River »

Elvis Australia wrote: Are the CDs in the CD only release also remastered by Michael Brauer, or if not by who?

Ernst really didn't answer your question in association with the way it was asked.
You asked about remastering, but he answered concerning original mixes.

It's hard to get a straight answer from him sometimes.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Vic did the mastering for the Legacy Edition. This clearly leaves the door open for a "remix" on a future FTD edition.

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Blue River »

midnightx wrote:Vic did the mastering for the Legacy Edition. This clearly leaves the door open for a "remix" on a future FTD edition.
Yes, but I think Robt is secretly looking forward to an Elvis In Concert FTD release before a remix of MSG.

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

midnightx wrote:Vic did the mastering for the Legacy Edition. This clearly leaves the door open for a "remix" on a future FTD edition.
Could they not just use the Michael Bauer "remix" from the "Deluxe" set on a future FTD release? Why would they want to "remix" these shows twice?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

memfisking wrote:
Could they not just use the Michael Bauer "remix" from the "Deluxe" set on a future FTD release? Why would they want to "remix" these shows twice?
I don't see FTD releasing a straight reissue of a mainstream Sony release. If FTD decides to release a version of MSG, it will have to offer something new and unique to justify the release and to offer something of substance to consumers.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

memfisking wrote:Does anyone have the Venus release "Operation Big Apple"? Given the apparent fantastic sound quality of their releases, how do people think it will compare to the new Sony releases?
I have that release.
The evening disc is a rip off, same mix and worse sound.
The afternoon show however, is a different mix and an interesting one.
I will definately compare that one to PFAP.

To sum it up, we will have three different mixes of the afternoon gig soon.

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

midnightx wrote:
memfisking wrote:
I don't see FTD releasing a straight reissue of a mainstream Sony release. If FTD decides to release a version of MSG, it will have to offer something new and unique to justify the release and to offer something of substance to consumers.
Personally, i can't see the MSG shows ever making it to the FTD label, now so much effort has been put into the 2cd/dvd set.
The deluxe set would have been an ideal FTD release, Ernst even said that the deluxe set was for the fans who already have the MSG shows in their collections (which is kind of who the FTD label is aimed at).

Given that the 2 shows are going to be newly "remixed" along with the press conference and the footage, i would have though this would be the "something new and unique" that you refer to.

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

Robert wrote:
I'm not sure if that's correct. We will have:
1 - the original MIX from 1972 - on the original album and a new RE-MASTERED (By Vic Anesini) but same MIX on the Legacy Edition (also heard on The Complete Masters)
2 - the NEW MIX By Michael Bauer

Am I wrong on this?

I am of the opinion that there will eventually be a 3rd MIX which may be done by Vic Anesini that could some day be an FTD release.

To be able to sell it to us AGAIN.

RKS

Claus

Post by Claus »

Robert wrote:
memfisking wrote:Does anyone have the Venus release "Operation Big Apple"? Given the apparent fantastic sound quality of their releases, how do people think it will compare to the new Sony releases?
I have that release.
The evening disc is a rip off, same mix and worse sound.
It's from a poor needledrop.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Robert wrote:
I'm not sure if that's correct. We will have:
1 - the original MIX from 1972 - on the original album and a new RE-MASTERED (By Vic Anesini) but same MIX on the Legacy Edition (also heard on The Complete Masters)
2 - the NEW MIX By Michael Bauer

Am I wrong on this?
Regarding the AS show:

'97 Ferrante mix
2012 Venus release (might be the original '72 rough mix or an attempt from the Joan Deary days?)
2012 of course, the Brauer mix

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

2012 Venus release (might be the original '72 rough mix or an attempt from the Joan Deary days?)
Bootleg. I guess I was just thinking "official" releases only.

RKS

Elvis Australia

Post by Elvis Australia »

Blue River wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote: Are the CDs in the CD only release also remastered by Michael Brauer, or if not by who?
Ernst really didn't answer your question in association with the way it was asked.
You asked about remastering, but he answered concerning original mixes.
It's hard to get a straight answer from him sometimes.
This error is well spotted but Ernst knew what I meant as we had corresponded about this several times prior. So it is in fact just my mistake using the word remaster instead of remix.

So Ernst was referring to remixes. As I said he knew what I meant.

Also the first question is 'Are both concerts remixed by Michael Brauer?' and the follow up question contains the word 'also' before 'remastered', so clearly this reads as meant to be the same word. And as if more is needed! - The third question refers to 'old mixes'. I have just made an error in the wording of question two..

I will edit the above question so it is true to the meaning and answer, both here and on my website.

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thank goodness for that!