Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Is it Now "SOLD OUT"? Boy From Tupelo book....

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm

It does seem a bit silly to work on something of historical significance for a decade, only to sell it for a couple of months. And no doubt many of them went to those who would simply resell them for profit, while actual fans who had to wait a bit in order to even afford it at normal prices are just out of luck.

Maybe they underestimated demand? Still disheartening that it's permanently OOP.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 am

rjm wrote:That was a VERY fast sell-out! Think of the price of it! And it went flying out, in this age of "digital music." Gimme a break: make a better physical mousetrap, and the physical products will beat a physical path to people's doors.

5,000 units, with 3 CDs in each unit.That's 15,000 individual CDs sold, at nearly 40 dollars per CD - with a HUGE, GIGANTIC, expensive book attached! I'd say they made a better mousetrap. If they had wanted to sell this mass-market, they could have. (We'll see what the future holds.) This sold right out.

rjm

I thought it was only 3,000 copies.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 am

jkc wrote:It does seem a bit silly to work on something of historical significance for a decade, only to sell it for a couple of months. And no doubt many of them went to those who would simply resell them for profit, while actual fans who had to wait a bit in order to even afford it at normal prices are just out of luck.

Maybe they underestimated demand? Still disheartening that it's permanently OOP.

I saw at least one copy going for sale a few days ago for a ridiculous amount of money. So yes, there are people who got it to resell for a profit. I won't post the link, though, because I don't want any trouble if such person is a member of this forum. I'm just saying it is a ridiculous amount of money and I don't find it fair seeing as it was a limited release. If Blue River wasn't kind enough, I would be one of those without it as I don't have the money right now. Seeing as this is a collectors' release, I find it sad that a fan would buy such item only to make money on top of it. But that's life, some of you surely will tell me...

As I have it in my hands now I can say that I still am of the opinion that it's a shame that it isn't a mainstream release. This is such a magnific piece of music history, such an important document of Rock'n'Roll that it deserved to be avaible to everyone. The book should be read by scholars, enthusiasts and anyone interested in music and the 20th century culture. I have the feeling that many would find it a revelation if they got the chance to read the book while listening to the music and Elvis' progress.

Is it Now "SOLD OUT"? Boy From Tupelo book....

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 am

$40 per CD? Yeah - that book was just a freebie thrown in!

Re: Is it Now

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 am

Matthew wrote:$40 per CD? Yeah - that book was just a freebie thrown in!

lol you beat me to that Mat ! :lol:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 am

promiseland wrote:

No, the "freebie" thrown in (at least by ShopElvis USA) was the horrific '68 Potato Head! AS IF the fans hell-bent on getting this long-awaited release cared!

I'm interested to know how many here ordered their sets through ShopElvis (USA) and got their set -- AND the nasty plastic thing. Did ShopElvis feel they had to add on a "freebie" to "boost" sales???? LMAO grrrrrrrrr

Just a guess, but THAT's probably what screwed up the order processing and shipping. Just MORE to love about the potato head. BITTER!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:20 am

I went to visit my mother today in Desoto County Mississippi. On the way there I drove through Memphis and stopped at the Graceland souvenir shops to see if they had any more sets remaining.

*Souvenirs Of Elvis shop didn't have any and the lady there told me they weren't getting anymore in.
*Heartbreak Hotel's gift shop didn't have any.

*Good Rockin' shop directly across the street from Graceland had 3 copies out on display. I enquired about more in the back room so the cashier went back to check. He came back and said, "there's only two more back there."
I asked if anymore were expected in so he made a phone call to find out.
Immediately after the call he informed me that they were not expecting anymore in.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 am

Blue River wrote:I went to visit my mother today in Desoto County Mississippi. On the way there I drove through Memphis and stopped at the Graceland souvenir shops to see if they had any more sets remaining.

*Souvenirs Of Elvis shop didn't have any and the lady there told me they weren't getting anymore in.

*Good Rockin' shop directly across the street from Graceland had 3 copies out on display. I enquired about more in the back room so the cashier went back to check. He came back and said, "there's only two more back there."
Immediately after the call he informed me that they were not expecting anymore in.

How was business at the house?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 am

promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:I went to visit my mother today in Desoto County Mississippi. On the way there I drove through Memphis and stopped at the Graceland souvenir shops to see if they had any more sets remaining.

How was business at the house?

It was fairly busy there this afternoon. My guess is because this is a 3-day weekend with tomorrow (Monday) being Columbus Day.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:27 am

MaryAnn wrote:Just MORE to love about the potato head. BITTER!

They better throw in some actual potatoes if I pay to import it... since I won't be grocery shopping for a while.

*rimshot*

*ducks*

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 am

For me, there is nothing funny about this.

I will be in contact with EPE about the continuing ineptitude of Musictoday.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 am

MaryAnn wrote:For me, there is nothing funny about this.

You do look to be somewhat ticked-off in your avatar pic.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 am

Blue River wrote:

LOL Not sure what avatars have to do with it, but no one could look more ticked-off and intimidating than the gentleman in your avatar. He was a master at his craft and a joy to watch. I wouldn't have wanted to bat against him.

EDIT to show a photo of Hall of Fame St. Louis Cardinal pitcher, Bob Gibson. Thanks to Blue River and other members for the correction!
Last edited by MaryAnn on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
Blue River wrote:

LOL Not sure what avatars have to do with it, but no one could look more ticked-off and intimidating than the gentleman in your avatar. He was a master at his craft and a joy to watch. I wouldn't have wanted to bat against him.

That's not Bob Gibson!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gibson

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I was lucky to purchase another one for a friend before the price went up at the Elvis shop London, but £99.99 is still cheap for this remarkable release.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Blue River wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
Blue River wrote:

That's not Bob Gibson!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gibson

That would be one James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers! He's a little meaner than Bob Gibson. :)

Blue River, you should have bought all 5 sets from "Good Rockin".

::rocks

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
promiseland wrote:

No, the "freebie" thrown in (at least by ShopElvis USA) was the horrific '68 Potato Head! AS IF the fans hell-bent on getting this long-awaited release cared!

I'm interested to know how many here ordered their sets through ShopElvis (USA) and got their set -- AND the nasty plastic thing. Did ShopElvis feel they had to add on a "freebie" to "boost" sales???? LMAO grrrrrrrrr

Just a guess, but THAT's probably what screwed up the order processing and shipping. Just MORE to love about the potato head. BITTER!

I got mine from shopelvis.com but there was no spud included with the set.

Should I file a complaint? :wink:

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Mitch wrote: Blue River, you should have bought all 5 sets from "Good Rockin".

I was seriously thinking about it.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I sure wish I could have afforded a copy of this....my parents and I have fallen on hard times financially and it hurts to know that I can't get this set......:(

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I sure wish I could have afforded a copy of this....my parents and I have fallen on hard times financially and it hurts to know that I can't get this set......:(

I wish I could repay BR's gesture by doing the same for you now. :(

I hope you find a way to get it, Tony.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 am

MaryAnn wrote:I will be in contact with EPE about the continuing ineptitude of Musictoday.

I thought you would've maybe been in contact with me about getting you a copy, but... oh well. smt179 I'm just sayin'.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 am

Blue River wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:I will be in contact with EPE about the continuing ineptitude of Musictoday.

I thought you would've maybe been in contact with me about getting you a copy, but... oh well. smt179 I'm just sayin'.

First, thank you for the correction about the photo! Sorry for the mistake. I edited my post to show a nice photo of Bob.

Second, I ddn't want to impose on you and I thought that was asking a lot. What I will tell you is that the information you included in a previous post was invaluable. It took a few days of digging, but it looks like I'm going to be able to secure a copy. I hope everyone that wants one will be as lucky!

Again, Blue River, I appreciate the correction about the photo -- and the info about the inventory on the Boy From Tupelo set!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 am

MaryAnn wrote:
Blue River wrote:

I didn't want to impose on you and I thought that was asking a lot. Well, I was gonna make you pay me for it. :lol:
What I will tell you is that the information you included in a previous post was invaluable. It took a few days of digging, but it looks like I'm going to be able to secure a copy. I hope everyone that wants one will be as lucky!

Don't stop there. Please tell us exactly how you secured a copy. You obviously made a call to let them know that you knew for sure that there were still some copies left in the Good Rockin' gift shop. Am I right?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 am

Blue River wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
Blue River wrote:

I didn't want to impose on you and I thought that was asking a lot. Well, I was gonna make you pay me for it. :lol:
What I will tell you is that the information you included in a previous post was invaluable. It took a few days of digging, but it looks like I'm going to be able to secure a copy. I hope everyone that wants one will be as lucky!

Don't stop there. Please tell us exactly how you secured a copy. You obviously made a call to let them know that you knew for sure that there were still some copies left in the Good Rockin' gift shop. Am I right?

Well, of course you were! :lol: (Probably in baseball tickets!) I'm just saying that even asking you to take the time to run out there was asking a lot!

Anyway, yes, I just called down to Graceland and they checked their inventory on the computer. Sure enough, they had it in stock. Simple as that.

I made the purchase with my credit card and this time, I have the UPS tracking number. I didn't mention your info, BUT I wouldn't have thought to make the call without it. So again, thank you, BR!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 am

MaryAnn wrote: So again, thank you, BR!

You're welcome. Glad to help.