GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ElvisTheKid wrote:Like I said above, it’s a nice unintentional collaborated effort between FTD and MRS. It’s nice to have options considering there are 2 listening’s to choose from. These songs will probably never have perfect soundboard quality and at this point, I really don’t think care. Nah, who am I kidding.
Unintentional? Nice?

No, the release you review was clearly targeted to shaft FTD, Ernst Jorgensen and his years of work and personal financial investment in the project released as A Boy From Tupelo.

The email from the owner of MRS clearly stated the CD was part of a "f*ck Ernst Jorgenson [sic] campaign."

But you enjoy your purchase. I'm VERY happy with A Boy From Tupelo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

memfisking
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by memfisking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
But you enjoy your purchase
I'm sure he will.
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm VERY happy with A Boy From Tupelo.
I'm sure you are.

Why can't you just leave it at that?

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I enjoy both purchases, but am just a tad partial to the official release by Ernst and company.

ElvisTheKid
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by ElvisTheKid »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:Like I said above, it’s a nice unintentional collaborated effort between FTD and MRS. It’s nice to have options considering there are 2 listening’s to choose from. These songs will probably never have perfect soundboard quality and at this point, I really don’t think care. Nah, who am I kidding.
Unintentional? Nice?

No, the release you review was clearly targeted to shaft FTD, Ernst Jorgensen and his years of work and personal financial investment in the project released as A Boy From Tupelo.

The email from the owner of MRS clearly stated the CD was part of a "f*ck Ernst Jorgenson [sic] campaign."

But you enjoy your purchase. I'm VERY happy with A Boy From Tupelo.
You are so difficult to figure out sometimes. How can you say that it was clearly targeted to shaft FTD? This release is less than 1/4 of what ABFT is about. The book is 70% of its value. If it was just a 3 disc set and Little Mama wasn't included, it would be no different from A Golden Celebration.

Greatest Hits Live was purchased for its audio enhancements and I'll bet within a couple of years, you'll own a copy of it too, if no other similar collaboration is released. (I think they should have added a second disc to include the audio from the TV performances.) If the audio enhancements weren't made and the songs were a direct rip, I might see it the other way but not everyone has a budget for ABFT and this is a NICE mini set for their enjoyment.

Let me ask you a question. Will you purchase any releases going forward with Little Mama on it if it's NOT backed by FTD?

And fill me in here because I must have missed something. What does the owner of MRS have against Ernst?

Oh one last thing I forget to mention... I also PURCHASED AND OWN ABFT!

The only negative thing I could say is that maybe it was released a little too early. If this was released a year and a half later, it would not have this much attention. And IMO, it was released quickly to capitalize off IFTRTF and not so much as an FU to Ernst.

ETK

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ElvisTheKid wrote: You are so difficult to figure out sometimes. How can you say that it was clearly targeted to shaft FTD? This release is less than 1/4 of what ABFT is about. The book is 70% of its value. If it was just a 3 disc set and Little Mama wasn't included, it would be no different from A Golden Celebration.

Greatest Hits Live was purchased for its audio enhancements and I'll bet within a couple of years, you'll own a copy of it too, if no other similar collaboration is released. (I think they should have added a second disc to include the audio from the TV performances.) If the audio enhancements weren't made and the songs were a direct rip, I might see it the other way but not everyone has a budget for ABFT and this is a NICE mini set for their enjoyment.
As has been said numerous times on this thread, the MRS release is a direct rip from Sony issued recordings... along with the youtube rip of IFTRTF. If the audio "enhancments" that were made are your cup of tea, that's great... but let's not sugarcoat the fact that this release is nothing more than a money-grabbing rip-off... pure and simple.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

elvis-fan wrote:
As has been said numerous times on this thread, the MRS release is a direct rip from Sony issued recordings... along with the youtube rip of IFTRTF. If the audio "enhancments" that were made are your cup of tea, that's great... but let's not sugarcoat the fact that this release is nothing more than a money-grabbing rip-off... pure and simple.
My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

The "improvements" aren't even that huge, as I said in my quick impressions from a download (that's what's worth to me). At least that's my opinion. IFTRTF has some added bass but otherwise is what I already have here converted from the YT video. And I remember much hype around a "glitch" in Little Mama which doesn't sound any better in MRS' release.

I can't say much about the other tracks, but they may be the same as found on the Hayride MRS release from a while ago.

One has to have in mind that this release isn't about "improvements" - seriously. Its use will be found by those who don't own ABFT and/or collectors, but to boost it based on "improvements" is a no-win situation. After all, there's only so much you can do without using the original sources (acetates, tapes, etc).

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

elvis-fan wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote: You are so difficult to figure out sometimes. How can you say that it was clearly targeted to shaft FTD? This release is less than 1/4 of what ABFT is about. The book is 70% of its value. If it was just a 3 disc set and Little Mama wasn't included, it would be no different from A Golden Celebration.

Bingo. Any amateur audiophile can add reverb to the Sony tracks that MRS ripped from the FTD release. These MRS fan-boys love to pretend that MRS remastered all this fine music from master sources.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Rob wrote:I enjoy both purchases, but am just a tad partial to the official release by Ernst and company.

I agree. I find this to be a nice compliment to the official release, all politics (morality?) aside.
It's nicely priced on Amazon ( USA) and hard to dislike. I'm not about o play
the violin for Sony ( or BMG or RCA etc. before it) although I certainly see how
it was a dagger aimed at super-fan /scholar Ernst Jorgensen. But as collector and
fan, it is a beauty of an escape, no matter its opportunistic origins.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

For the record I didn't buy this MRS product.

But how can it be FU to Ernst?

All along the Ernst fan-boys have been saying and insisting that
his set was basically a book project.
So, MRS comes along and rips the audio, and you get all bent outta shape?

You can't have it both ways.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ekenee wrote:But how can it be FU to Ernst?
Go ask the psycho who wrote that nasty email.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Ciscoking wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
And FWIW, as I've written before look up how much it costs to get a run of proper CDs manufactured with proper artwork, even in these times of dying formats it's PEANUTS.

People who make CDs with music that cost them little or nothing to obtain are raking in the cash, circa $15,000 for a 500-print run... they must be laughing.

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

King Volcano wrote:And FWIW, as I've written before look up how much it costs to get a run of proper CDs manufactured with proper artwork, even in these times of dying formats it's PEANUTS.
People who make CDs with music that cost them little or nothing to obtain are raking in the cash, circa $15,000 for a 500-print run... they must be laughing.

You seem to be very informed "King Volcano." Thanks for the insight. :D

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

elvisalisellers wrote:
King Volcano wrote:And FWIW, as I've written before look up how much it costs to get a run of proper CDs manufactured with proper artwork, even in these times of dying formats it's PEANUTS.

You seem to be very informed "King Volcano." Thanks for the insight. :D
No insight, just 24 years working in the (legitimate, non-bootleg) music, broadcast & publishing industries, and a quick sum on my calculator.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ekenee wrote:For the record I didn't buy this MRS product.

Because the producer of the set said that's precisely what it is?

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Matthew wrote:
ekenee wrote:For the record I didn't buy this MRS product.

Because the producer of the set said that's precisely what it is?
I was making an analogy to make a point, but what does this dude have against Ernst?

He may be taking the competition thing a bit too far.

I guess Ernst knew what could happen such as what the copyright laws are.

If not for the odd timing of the discovery of 'I forgot to remember to forget',
his CD wouldn't have anything new.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ekenee wrote:If not for the odd timing of the discovery of 'I forgot to remember to forget',
He doesn't offer anything new... sourcing the wire recording from youtube is not new material... I had it before the CD came out...

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

elvis-fan wrote:
ekenee wrote:If not for the odd timing of the discovery of 'I forgot to remember to forget',
He doesn't offer anything new... sourcing the wire recording from youtube is not new material... I had it before the CD came out...
Yep, so did I.
Anyone of us that bought the Tupelo set, has not need for the MRS. set.