GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Re: GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Post by elvis-fan »

TheMaskedClown wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:Ive always appreciated the booklets and design of the MRS issues. they are of high quality and IMO that puts them on a level above other PD companies.
What are PD companies?
Companies who issue public domain songs
I see.. ty

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Out of curiousity..has MRS ever released anything new to collectors..I really have no clue..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ciscoking wrote:Out of curiousity..has MRS ever released anything new to collectors..I really have no clue..
The silent Tupelo Benefit newsreel footage from 9-26-1956 (afternoon show) was previously-unknown to fans. They added the RCA audio from the show, first released on Elvis: A Golden Celebration (likely without permission), to recreate the live experience. Although some claim the footage was intentionally degraded prior to release on DVD, I've found nothing to verify this.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Thanks..John..as always ..much appreciated info.. :smt006

What about any new audio material..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Their audio engineers are so skilled that hearing content ripped from other sources is like hearing it for the first time on MRS releases!

drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:Thanks..John..as always ..much appreciated info.. :smt006

New? Don't think so.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Geez, no one is being forced to buy the product, if it appeals to you and you want it, go for it, regardless if it's Sony, MRS, FTD, or whatever, to each his own.

drjohncarpenter

Barry wrote:Geez, no one is being forced to buy the product, if it appeals to you and you want it, go for it, regardless if it's Sony, MRS, FTD, or whatever, to each his own.
I totally agree.

I purchased Young Man with the Big Beat (Sony) in 2011 and got A Boy From Tupelo (FTD) in 2012, and I love them both. I don't need to get any unofficial knock-offs of the material originally released on these two wonderful box sets. I love the art, the writing, the untampered photos and the audio on each of these essential Presley products.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

midnightx wrote:Their audio engineers are so skilled that hearing content ripped from other sources is like hearing it for the first time on MRS releases!
:lol: Good one! :lol:

Tim C
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Tim C »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Barry wrote:Geez, no one is being forced to buy the product, if it appeals to you and you want it, go for it, regardless if it's Sony, MRS, FTD, or whatever, to each his own.
I totally agree.

I purchased Young Man with the Big Beat (Sony) in 2011 and got A Boy From Tupelo (FTD) in 2012, and I love them both. I don't need to get any unofficial knock-offs of the material originally released on these two wonderful box sets. I love the art, the writing, the untampered photos and the audio on each of these essential Presley products.
Good enough, you've made your decision and you've officially let it be known, now let everyone else make theirs and move on with your life.

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

drjohncarpenter

Tim C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I totally agree.

Good enough, you've made your decision and you've officially let it be known, now let everyone else make theirs and move on with your life.
Do these comments bother you? They must, since you feel the need to censor my thoughts. Sorry, I won't be playing that game.

Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Matthew

GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Post by Matthew »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Although some claim the footage was intentionally degraded prior to release on DVD, I've found nothing to verify this.
Well, there is that MRS watermark across the footage, which is rather ironic! :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Although some claim the footage was intentionally degraded prior to release on DVD, I've found nothing to verify this.
Well, there is that MRS watermark across the footage, which is rather ironic! :wink:
True, it is a distraction, but the rumour is that the quality of the found Tupelo newsreel footage is better than that seen on the DVD, leaving the door open for a later "upgraded" edition. But I've found nothing credible to support the notion the producers altered the film prior to issuing it on DVD.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
True, it is a distraction, but the rumour is that the quality of the found Tupelo newsreel footage is better than that seen on the DVD, leaving the door open for a later "upgraded" edition. But I've found nothing credible to support the notion the producers altered the film prior to issuing it on DVD.
My credible feeling is the dvd was purposely released down-graded, but it's still some cool footage.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Ciscoking wrote:Out of curiousity..has MRS ever released anything new to collectors..I really have no clue..

The dry "That's All Right" debuted on MRS I think. Someone will correct me if that's wrong.

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

I believe Sam Phillips released it on Sun Records first.

drjohncarpenter

TJ wrote:

The dry "That's All Right" debuted on MRS I think. Someone will correct me if that's wrong.
RonBaker2003 wrote:I believe Sam Phillips released it on Sun Records first.
Good one, RonBaker2003. :D

Of course, you are correct.

The release date of the 'dry' "That's All Right" was July 19, 1954, the medium was 45 and 78 RPM vinyl.

In 1973, near-perfect counterfeits of the 45 RPM Sun 209 were issued, on different colored vinyl. See the fabulous book, Bootleg Elvis, for more on this.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

It is nearly impossible to STEAL something new, I guess.

sheila
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by sheila »

stan from tintane wrote:I'll be having a listen this evening. :lol:
mrs_50.jpg
:smt007 :smt007 :smt006
I'm glad that you got it! Another collection to put with your Elvis' cds! Enjoy! Don't listen to others when they say it's bad. 'Cuz I don't. I like what I have and what I get! It makes me feel good...if it makes you feel good, then, ENJOY!!! :smt006

Topic author
Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Yes, it could be that it will be re-released with an added 22 seconds of 'recently discovered' material! :mrgreen:

Topic author
Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

The interview with Elvis backstage at Tupelo was new and exclusive to the MRS package and, to be fair, that package was superb. The book had many photos new to all our eyes. But I don't need this 'greatest hits live' thing. For a start the cover 'art' looks dreadful in my opinion.

drjohncarpenter

Tony.. wrote:

The interview with Elvis backstage at Tupelo was new and exclusive to the MRS package ...
This is incorrect.

All the 9-26-1956 interviews by Jack Christal (Vernon Presley, Gladys Presley, actor Nick Adams, fan Judy Hopper, Elvis) were first issued by RCA in 1984 on Elvis: A Golden Celebration.

Just like the concert audio you hear on the DVD, the audio source was taken (likely without permission) from the wonderful 1984 RCA release (or their 1998 CD reissue of that box set).

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

The interview with Elvis backstage at Tupelo was new and exclusive to the MRS package ...
This is incorrect.

All the 9-26-1956 interviews by Jack Christal (Vernon Presley, Gladys Presley, actor Nick Adams, fan Judy Hopper, Elvis) were first issued by RCA in 1984 on Elvis: A Golden Celebration.

Just like the concert audio you hear on the DVD, the audio source was taken (likely without permission) from the wonderful 1984 RCA release (or their 1998 CD reissue of that box set).
He probably was referring to the exclusive 1957 tupelo interview.

rockinray
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

greatest live hits

Post by rockinray »

just received my copy and its great! to hear all these tracks grouped together on one disc is perfect. the stand out track for me is the newly discovered i forgot to remember. scotty and bills picking holds it all together while the vocals are more laid back than on most of the other tracks. thank you mrs and keep up the great work....

that aint tactics honey, thats just the beast in me...

ElvisTheKid
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by ElvisTheKid »

Here is my quick review on the MRS enhancements. First off, let me just say that I have absolutely no ear for music but I can tell the difference in quality. Second, I might repeat comments that have already been said multiple times but it is my review and some might need to be said again. Let me also add that IMO, Snap, Crackle, and Pops, are not necessarily a bad thing. Nothing beats Vinyl and the S,C,Ps are part of the reason why. I want a 1950s recording from Elvis to sound like a 1950’s recording from Elvis. Would adding color to King Creole and releasing it in Blue Ray make it better? Imo NO! I feel the same way about the audio. However on the flip side, I do want Elvis music to be represented with the best possible sound on all recordings and I honestly don’t care who does it. From FTD to Sony to Fans, I really don’t care. There is a fine line as to where to draw the line with digital enhancements. I’ll review individually for the big ones and collectively for the rest.

IFTRTF – I’m not sure how the audio was transferred from the wire and I don’t remember reading how it was done but I’ll assume a recording device was held up to it (it could have been the guys cell phone for all I know.)

PROS: Considering there is nothing to compare the MRS version to but YouTube rips, I feel this is a nice improvement considering this is all we have so far. I actually don’t mind the added bass as some do.

CONS: It still sounds like the transfer was done by someone holding up a recording device against it. I was expecting a little more. Just knowing that a cleaner version can and will be obtained, I refuse to settle. Although this is a nice improvement, knowing there is something better out there will make this forgettable once released.

Little Mama –Does this fall into the adding color to a black & white classic? I’d say no. I think there is a nice unintentional collaborated effort between FTD and MRS. From what I’ve read on this board, this song was an absolute mess prior (worse than HOS) and hearing what FTD did is just amazing and I feel that MRS just topped it off.

Hearts Of Stone - Same as above. The FTD has a little more S,C,P which I do like but also has more of a hiss which I don’t like.

You're A Heartbreaker, Maybelline, Tweedle Dee –This is where my “no ear for music” comes in. They are all both similar in my opinion. I’d stick with FTD for the more natural sound but if one was played and I was asked to pick, I’d just be guessing.

I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine - Same as above – But the reason why I singled this one out is because I could slightly hear the difference between the two on this one. MRS does have a more digital sound but it’s not horrible and it’s not constant.

The remaining album will be included in my summary.

In summary, I think it depends on what you are looking for and how you analyze it. Considering where these songs have been, I’ll assume that we should all be considered lucky to have what we have in such quality.

If you’re someone who is going to listen to this in your backyard through your outdoor speakers while raking leaves, than it’s MRS all the way. You’ll be listening from a far and this is the cleanest sound you’ll get. It’s an awesome collection of Elvis 50 live hits.

If you’re listening through headphones and feeling each song, then this might not be the first option because some of that originality is removed.

Overall MRS did a great job and I’m fortunate to have what we have in such condition. Like I said above, it’s a nice unintentional collaborated effort between FTD and MRS. It’s nice to have options considering there are 2 listening’s to choose from. These songs will probably never have perfect soundboard quality and at this point, I really don’t think care. Nah, who am I kidding.

Elvis Rocks!!!!!

ETK