GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: GOT IT!!! Greatest Live Hits of the 50s from M.R.S.

Post by Tony.. »

I hate that cover and that disc. Garish. And why didn't they call it "From Tupelo, a boy"? :wink:

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Alexander »

Have fun with it...

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Mike DK »

Looks like a nice release, but I hope that FTD at some point will bring us a "live in the 50's" release. Would be cool to have the tv performances on Elvis second album as bonus in their classic album releases (due to lack of studio outtakes).

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Mike DK wrote:Looks like a nice release, but I hope that FTD at some point will bring us a "live in the 50's" release. Would be cool to have the tv performances on Elvis second album as bonus in their classic album releases (due to lack of studio outtakes).
another idea for MRS coming soon THE TV PERFORMANCES remember who said it :shock:

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

sweetangeline wrote:
Mike DK wrote:Looks like a nice release, but I hope that FTD at some point will bring us a "live in the 50's" release. Would be cool to have the tv performances on Elvis second album as bonus in their classic album releases (due to lack of studio outtakes).
another idea for MRS coming soon THE TV PERFORMANCES remember who said it :shock:
Which shows how stupid some of this bashing is - a number of PD companies already have released a disc of the 1956 TV performances on CD and no-one on here as uttered a word against it.

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by memphisound »

Looks like a piece of Sh1t to me.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

david57
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by david57 »

I don't like the cover for this release at all!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:Which shows how stupid some of this bashing is - a number of PD companies already have released a disc of the 1956 TV performances on CD and no-one on here as uttered a word against it.
Have clusters of insiders under multiple login names been feverishly promoting these releases, making absurd claims of grandeur about them? If any threads about individual titles exist - where are they?

ElvisTheKid
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by ElvisTheKid »

stan from tintane wrote:I'll be having a listen this evening. :lol:
mrs_50.jpg
:smt007 :smt007 :smt006
Can I ask where you got it?

ETK

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

poormadpeter wrote:Which shows how stupid some of this bashing is - a number of PD companies already have released a disc of the 1956 TV performances on CD and no-one on here as uttered a word against it.
sweetangeline wrote:
Which shows how stupid some of this bashing is - a number of PD companies already have released a disc of the 1956 TV performances on CD and no-one on here as uttered a word against it.
please post the PD covers of the other company`s that contain the tv performances

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

ElvisTheKid wrote:
mrs_50.jpg
Amazon.uk is selling it

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

Ernst and BMG have no reason to complain. They put out a very affordable in house alternative LP which is what they should have done in the first place. That should stem any bleeding from the MRS release.

Again, the European law is not "corrupt." It's actually one of the most sensible laws on the books. Protecting, preserving and extending out culture is far more important than protecting corporate bottom lines and investment.

I doubt BTW that Sony paid big bucks for the tapes after all they were buying tapes for a nice boxed set.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ekenee »

I am not sure why some of you are asking for the TV performances when they have already been released on the main label.

You should be asking the TV performances in DVD format, ie. dorsey shows, berle shows, steve allan show.

I like the MRS cover but I won't be buying this one, since there is nothing new is on it.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

ekenee wrote:I am not sure why some of you are asking for the TV performances when they have already been released on the main label.
You should be asking the TV performances in DVD format, ie. dorsey shows, berle shows, steve allan show..
I agree, the 1998 CD release of "A Golden Celebration" (a.k.a. The Golden Box) features the TV performances in
good sound quality and, to be honest, I don't think they could sound much better than that considering the source.
A Golden Celebration (1998).jpg
"A Golden Celebration" (1998 CD Release)
BMG 07863 67456 2

What we need is a DVD, as they did with the Ed Sullivan shows.

About the topic, I won't get MRS' "Live Hits Of The '50s" as there's nothing new for me on it.
A few months ago someone here kindly sent me a good sounding version of the
"I Forgot To Remember To Forget" YouTube rip, so I don't need this release.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Axeman »

I'm willing to bet that if MRS does a TV Appearances project, it would be a DVD rather than a CD.

Axe

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by KingElvis »

paulsweeney wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:

Amazon.uk is selling it
He obviously didnt get it from amazon......perhaps Elvis Shop in the UK.

jacob
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by jacob »

ekenee wrote:I am not sure why some of you are asking for the TV performances when they have already been released on the main label.

You should be asking the TV performances in DVD format, ie. dorsey shows, berle shows, steve allan show.

I like the MRS cover but I won't be buying this one, since there is nothing new is on it.
This is long over due and hopefully something can be done to get these performances out on Dvd soon!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The Golden Celebration set is long out of print, and historical performances such as these should be IN print - some of us are still wondering why they weren't included the Big Beat box. Golden Celebration is currently selling for around £26 on amazon, which is a lot of money if you are only looking for one CD's worth of the material on it.

And no, I'm not going to post the covers of the PD releases of the TV shows. I have linked to them a number of times before and really can't be bothered to do so again.

As for Matthew's comments, I think you are missing the point. MRS gets talked about here from a moral point of view more than anything else. if someone promotes their work then, frankly, they are sensible - if I was selling something I'd probably do the same. The suggest here was that the MRS would release the TV performances and then we would go through this rigmarole of hating them for it. But putting politics aside, PD companies have been issuing that material for at least five or six year, and no-one gave a damn - which links to my recurring point that it is not the issuing of material that people have a problem with but the man behind the label. I just think it would be considerably more honest to admit that fact.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

There is nothing "sensible" about a law that allows for over-saturation of product in varying degrees of quality - and a loophole that somehow allows one to actually steal content from someone else's actual source. That is different than a PD law that allows for the use of previously copyrighted works - the concept is not that the public will lift images or music directly from the original copyright's source.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

midnightx wrote:There is nothing "sensible" about a law that allows for over-saturation of product in varying degrees of quality - and a loophole that somehow allows one to actually steal content from someone else's actual source. That is different than a PD law that allows for the use of previously copyrighted works - the concept is not that the public will lift images or music directly from the original copyright's source.
AGREE 100%, but the problem exists within the laws itself and originates from there!! Fix that and everything else will fall into place, but that does`nt seem to be a priority at this moment and has`nt been for several yrs!

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

stan from tintane wrote:I enjoyed the cd last night and as far as I'm concerned i like it and that's all that matters to me.
I totally understand that logic, as I said the problem exists elsewhere and it`s not with the buyer but within the law itself!! :D

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The law is being broken by those companies putting out alternate takes that have only recently been released by Sony. The law is not being broken by albums including live recordings only just put out by Sony. There are many more of the former out there than the latter, but Sony have yet to pursue this.

As for the PD situation in general. We have to look beyond Elvis and the effect on him, for Elvis is not representative of the situation. The PD law and the many companies that operate under it are keeping alive the names and music of many great artists who would otherwise be forgotten. For example, Avid have released just this week a 2 disc set containing four albums by the great jazz saxophonist Flip Phillips that have been out of print for nearly 60 years. There are also albums and recordings by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Ben Webster, Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra and more than would otherwise never ever see the light of day again, being put out in quality packaging and quality sound by the PD companies. This isn't just about Elvis. Yes, it's a shame his music is being exploited, but as a music lover would I rather do away with the PD and lose access to thousands of hours of music that would otherwise be lost, or keep it and see four different issues of Loving You on the shelves in HMV. Well, I know my answer thanks very much.

Thanks to the Bono extension to copyright in America, much of our cultural heritage is literally rotting away in a vault. Most films from 1923 are still in copyright, but most films from 1923 to, say, 1940 are never ever going to be released for the home video market by the studios that own them. So, let's say private collector Jack Smith has a distinctly average print on 16mm of a film from 1925. The film is in copyright and owned by Paramount. But Smith has the only known copy - but if he keeps that copy he has a problem because it will corrode with each passing year. If he gives to Paramount, they will probably do nothing with it but shove it in a vault and let it sit there. no-one would ever see it. If he gives it to an archive, the likelihood of them ever getting around to saving a run of the mill film from that era is quite small. So, it will sit in that archive, not in a good enough state even for visiting researchers to be allowed to watch it. However, if the film was OUT of copyright, he could give it/lend it to a respected PD company such as Grapevine, who would more than likely set about restoring it to the best of their ability, giving it a soundtrack and then issuing it on DVD.

The problem with the PD laws in all companies is that they are all-encompassing - and this is the problem being experience in Europe at the moment.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

poormadpeter wrote:The law is being broken by those companies putting out alternate takes that have only recently been released by Sony. The law is not being broken by albums including live recordings only just put out by Sony. There are many more of the former out there than the latter, but Sony have yet to pursue this.
The reality is that in the case of Elvis, why would Sony spend the legal fees going after an opposing PD company who probaby sells less that 5,000 copies of a release worldwide? Sony still has a priority retail position in the eyes of most consumers. There is currently a limited market for much of that product. Once Sony loses a portion of its priority position in the market, then you many see Sony doing more applicable legal challenges.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:As for Matthew's comments, I think you are missing the point. MRS gets talked about here from a moral point of view more than anything else. if someone promotes their work then, frankly, they are sensible - if I was selling something I'd probably do the same. The suggest here was that the MRS would release the TV performances and then we would go through this rigmarole of hating them for it. But putting politics aside, PD companies have been issuing that material for at least five or six year, and no-one gave a damn - which links to my recurring point that it is not the issuing of material that people have a problem with but the man behind the label. I just think it would be considerably more honest to admit that fact.
No. I am sure if these multitudes of other crappy PD releases were discussed and promoted at length on the forum they would be deconstructed as well. As far as I am aware, MRS is the only label that aggressively targets main label product to undermine main label/FTD activities, outside of some bootleggers and their "500 copy limited editions". Most with complaints about MRS activities are not going around creating threads about them, merely responding to already created threads. Show me the threads about these other PD ripoff titles because I don't recall seeing any. Then, if it makes things better I will leave a "worthless PD ripoff" remark :wink:

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

stan from tintane wrote:There is a lot of undermining throughout the WHOLE of the Elvis world... I hear a rumour (and that's all it is) about a possible re-printing on the now SOLD OUT 'Boy from Tupelo' set...
Looks like someone at the main label has a friend doing some undermining themselves to me, and just as the MRS release is due.
Everyone (and I mean everyone on both sides) needs to grow up a little.
Touche'
The main label concerned about a cheap MRS release, so it reprints a pricey book/cd package? Yeah, that makes sense. If Sony is going to proceed with a reprint, it is due to demand and potential profits. If Sony wants to cut into MRS's small market, it could easily produce a single disc with exact or similar content. The MRS boys are the ones obsessed with FTD and undermining FTD's product; it isn't the other way around. Sony and FTD doesn't need to undermine MRS; they already have a dominant market share.