More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm

King Volcano wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Are these (remastered by Vic Anesini) recordings available on any other releases besides TCM set? If not, that might be a reason to buy... I don't have TCM set.

...no but will you buy the songs all over again in a few years time when they are 're-re-remastered' by someone else?! :|

I doubt Vic's work will be surpassed in a few years.

We all thought that when we bought the 50's, 60's and '70's box sets...........

I was never blown away by the sound on the '70s set. It is doubtful that the Elvis Presley catalogue of masters will ever get another complete overhaul from top to bottom by one of the best engineers in the music industry.

Yes, for example, the GI Blues masters sound better on the 1999 expanded CD release and several of the Japanese 20/24bit remasters sound sharper etc.
You must be right, especially re the dodgier movie stuff & unpopular with the public later 70s material. There might be high-resolution files of the hits/popular albums made from analogue tapes, for future 'cloud' etc or hi-res download services I guess. But nobody's gonna touch junk like Clambake & Who Needs Money ever again surely?

I don't think the 2007 Anesini's are always the best though, certain masters sound better elsewhere on older official CD releases IMO. But as a complete masters project thank goodness for it & for Anesini!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
Yes, I got it but with my answer I was just joking, hence my post on this messageboard about this Spanish release several days ago :lol:. This new HITS of the 70´s FTD release doesn´t make sense at all :shock:. FTD should remain to unreleased material not this kind of releases, I am against it unless they include Mono masters. Where is This Is Elvis, the Elvis A legendary Performer series etc releases?. Many years ago Ernst stated that his intentions were not to release them :?. Bye for now :smt006.

I could see the joke, but I think it is also a fair point, as there are countless titles that will have a sentimental attachment for fans in different countries.

I think Ernst’s decision not to release the “Legendary Performer” series could well change, but like “Hits of the ‘70’s” the reissue of these titles could still result in FTD releases that don’t offer anything new. I don’t think there are any outtakes from this series that haven’t been issued again on later releases, and most of the remaining studio outtakes are being issued via the classic album series.

Obviously people don’t have to buy every FTD release, and as Andy-M points out there is more to CD collecting than previously unissued material.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Andy-M wrote:
tupelo_boy wrote:+ a number of us bought the "Welcome To My World" boot.

I imagine this didn't go unnoticed.

Geoff

Exactly,

but NOT only this :mrgreen:
Many bought also the BOOT CDs C'mon Everybody, Inspirations, 40 Greatest Hits Arcade 2CDs, for high prices ONLY for sentimental reasons :shock:

So better buying the 7" FTD CDs in very nice packaging than these Boots 8)

Although I do agree I will skip this FTD. I am completely happy with my TCM box set and the 1972 vinyl version of HITS OF 70s. I buy expensive FTDs to hear something new, not to drink old wine from new bottles. For that FTD is too expensive.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 am

In this instance old wine in a new bottle is fine with me.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 pm

JerryNodak wrote:In this instance old wine in a new bottle is fine with me.

You are not interested in a collectors' label then I assume?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 am

If FTD offers product that interests me I buy. If not, I skip it. Simple as that. It doesn't matter to me whether FTD is (strictly speaking) a "collectors" label or not.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:38 pm

I don’t think an FTD release has to feature previously unissued material for it to be considered a ‘collectors’ release. Rightly or wrongly Sony have decided that this album is not suitable for a mainstream reissue and therefore it’s being issued via FTD.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the same logic was applied to the reissue of additional out of print titles in the future, as it’s been 35 years since Elvis’ passing and Sony don’t have an endless supply of outtakes.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:53 pm

JerryNodak wrote:If FTD offers product that interests me I buy. If not, I skip it. Simple as that. It doesn't matter to me whether FTD is (strictly speaking) a "collectors" label or not.

That's why I skip it. I have THE old vinyl edition and every track in prestine quality on TCM. Each his own, but I am sorry to skip and spend my money on something else.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Maybe the majority of FTD releases are sold in the U.K market and the fact that 'Hits Of The 70's' has never been (officially) released on CD might explain it.
Maybe not though - just surmising.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:03 am

Apologies if this image has been posted in another topic...

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 am

Looks good, but it's still a redundant release worthy of any cheap import label to me... :|

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 am

Mark Nicholson wrote:Image

JimmyCool wrote:Looks good...

No, it doesn't look good!
Click the image and look closely at the song titles on the discs. They're the ten songs that make up the Good Times album!
Last edited by Blue River on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 am

Still no word on whether or not some of the mono mixes contained on the original compilation are there now. If it is a straight-up reissue of stereo masters available from various other sources, it is a very redundant release. I jokingly said I was purchasing it, but I am waiting to hear if there is going to be anything unique with the mixes. If it is just a compilation of 70's tracks in standard stereo mixes, I may hold off on this one until much later down the road. Perhaps Rob can fill us all in on the mixes when he gets his copy.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 am

Blue River wrote:Click the image and look closely at the song titles on the discs. They're the ten songs that make up the Good Times album![/b]

What is wrong with Good Times? It was a masterpiece.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 am

midnightx wrote:Still no word on whether or not some of the mono mixes contained on the original compilation are there now. If it is a straight-up reissue of stereo masters available from various other sources, it is a very redundant release. I jokingly said I was purchasing it, but I am waiting to hear if there is going to be anything unique with the mixes. If it is just a compilation of 70's tracks in standard stereo mixes, I may hold off on this one until much later down the road. Perhaps Rob can fill us all in on the mixes when he gets his copy.

Maybe the ten songs from the Good Times album will accidentally be on there (making this release very unique). :lol:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 am

midnightx wrote:
Blue River wrote:Click the image and look closely at the song titles on the discs. They're the ten songs that make up the Good Times album![/b]

What is wrong with Good Times? It was a masterpiece.

Best album ever, hands down.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

Likely the new discs hadn't been pressed when this ad was mae and they just used Good Times as a filler.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

Mike Eder wrote:Likely the new discs hadn't been pressed when this ad was mae and they just used Good Times as a filler.

Correct. The same thing is done with other product by other labels.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I think it looks mighty fine, better than most redundant awful PA releases ..........

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:24 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I think it looks mighty fine, better than most redundant awful PA releases ..........

Yes, it LOOKS ok, but it is not worth paying £22 for a load of masters already released dozens of times over. If it was an £8 'Legacy' release, then fair enough.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Nice package, lousy concept (for FTD standards and expectations)... Happy to skip this one!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

It's the first FTD I'm not preordering.

If I learn there's any sonic reason at all to own it, I'll buy it.

Otherwise, I simply don't need this.

Certainly the original album holds no nostalgic significance for me whatsoever.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I subscribe to the FTD releases through the Norwegian fan club and get all new releases automatically - "Hits of the 70s" I've told them NOT to send me though. For me FTD is way off the mark with this release...

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Best album ever, hands down.

"Spanish Eyes" is a truly essential song. :P

Anyway, I'll join the chorus of "redundant" if this is just a compilation of stereo masters. As long as it contains the mono ones, I think that this is, definitely, a collectors' release (we were the ones asking for mono versions, after all).

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:38 pm

I don't particularly want mono versions of songs that were recorded and intended for release in stereo. They sound flatter and muddier. Pointless. Like releasing a colour movie in black n white. It's just change for changes' sake.