Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:53 am

mocskoskurva wrote:i'm quite sure that there will be at least 2000 fans who'll buy it for the cover

If so then it will be true that the fanbase will only have themselves to blame.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Are these (remastered by Vic Anesini) recordings available on any other releases besides TCM set? If not, that might be a reason to buy... I don't have TCM set.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:15 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Are these (remastered by Vic Anesini) recordings available on any other releases besides TCM set? If not, that might be a reason to buy... I don't have TCM set.

Do you want to pay $30 for a bunch of masters?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I can't see this not selling 2000. If the average sale of an FTD title is 5000 units, and there are fans out there - and we know that there are - who are already cherry picking the albums, then the implication is that a reasonable proportion of those 5000 people are a hardcore fanbase who will buy each and every release. If you had bought every single FTD album to date, regardless of what was on it, why would you suddenly make your collection 'incomplete' for the sake of £20?

I don't agree with this being on the collectors label, not at all, but it's going to sell in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile, of that I have no doubt.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm

The Pirate wrote:If you had bought every single FTD album to date, regardless of what was on it, why would you suddenly make your collection 'incomplete' for the sake of £20?

I don't want my collection incomplete and will end up getting this release. However, if this is a sign of things to come, my collection may not remain complete for long. Money is not the issue with me, but you're right, this release does not belong on the FTD label.

If this was released on the main label, I would pass it up without thinking twice.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Are these (remastered by Vic Anesini) recordings available on any other releases besides TCM set? If not, that might be a reason to buy... I don't have TCM set.

...no but will you buy the songs all over again in a few years time when they are 're-re-remastered' by someone else?! :|

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Tony.. wrote:

...no but will you buy the songs all over again in a few years time when they are 're-re-remastered' by someone else?! :|

I doubt Vic's work will be surpassed in a few years.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 pm

MarkyMark77 wrote:I don't really get this release. Is there anyone around here who can say why it's a good idea?

I don’t think it was a bad idea, but I’m obviously in the minority here. I had hoped for the original mono single mixes (where applicable) but as this has not been mentioned in the publicity for the album, I doubt this is going to happen. The reaction I have seen to this release has been generally poor, and given that the mono mixes would make this release more appealing for some, I expect this would have been mentioned if these were due to be included.

My first thoughts were that as FTD will eventually run out of new material, titles that were originally unique to different countries may be of interest to some collectors, and the occasional re-issue may keep the label in business for a little longer. I would agree though that releases that recycle previously issued material are not for everybody, and the appeal of such releases seems likely to be limited.

As UK fan I have a sentimental attachment to this title, but that doesn’t mean to say that I would want an FTD re-issue of every unique UK or (official) imported title that I bought on vinyl when I first started collecting.

Perhaps FTD are just testing the waters with this release, and the response to it will determine what happens in the future.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

+ a number of us bought the "Welcome To My World" boot.

I imagine this didn't go unnoticed.

Geoff

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
rockinrebel wrote:
MarkyMark77 wrote:I don't really get this release. Is there anyone around here who can say why it's a good idea?

As UK fan I have a sentimental attachment to this title, but that doesn’t mean to say that I would want an FTD re-issue of every unique UK or (official) imported title that I bought on vinyl when I first started collecting.

Perhaps FTD are just testing the waters with this release, and the response to it will determine what happens in the future.

As a Spanish fan I have a sentimental attachment to "Elvis Para Los Fans Españoles 2 lp release" as well :wink:.

Why didn´t they choose this release instead?. Like me, I am pretty sure that fans from other countries would also like to see a release from their country on the FTD label. This is not fair! :evil:. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:+ a number of us bought the "Welcome To My World" boot.

Geoff

I was also thinking of the boot releases when the release of “Hits of the ‘70’s” was announced. Following on from the FTD release of the “Our Memories” title, which was also previously booted, I wondered whether the (albeit small) demand for bootleg reissues of old vinyl titles had influenced FTD at all.
Whilst bootleg reissues of titles such as “Elvis’ 40 Greatest” and “Golden Boy Elvis” are seen by most fans as opportunist cash ins (and I expect this is the reason why they are issued) they do appeal to some collectors.

I’m sure many of us also bought the Camden CD re-issues even thought we already had all of the material many times over. CD collecting isn’t just about outtakes, although whether there are enough people willing to pay FTD prices for titles that offer nothing new remains to be seen.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:As a Spanish fan I have a sentimental attachment to "Elvis Para Los Fans Españoles 2 lp release" as well :wink:.

Why didn´t they choose this release instead?. Like me, I am pretty sure that fans from other countries would also like to see a release from their country on the FTD label. This is not fair! :evil:. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike, this is what I was trying to say. Hence, my reference to official imports in my original post.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

rockinrebel wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:As a Spanish fan I have a sentimental attachment to "Elvis Para Los Fans Españoles 2 lp release" as well :wink:.

Mike, this is what I was trying to say. Hence, my reference to official imports in my original post.

Yes, I got it but with my answer I was just joking, hence my post on this messageboard about this Spanish release several days ago :lol:. This new HITS of the 70´s FTD release doesn´t make sense at all :shock:. FTD should remain to unreleased material not this kind of releases, I am against it unless they include Mono masters. Where is This Is Elvis, the Elvis A legendary Performer series etc releases?. Many years ago Ernst stated that his intentions were not to release them :?. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:+ a number of us bought the "Welcome To My World" boot.

Geoff

Exactly,

but NOT only this :mrgreen:
Many bought also the BOOT CDs C'mon Everybody, Inspirations, 40 Greatest Hits Arcade 2CDs, for high prices ONLY for sentimental reasons :shock:

So better buying the 7" FTD CDs in very nice packaging than these Boots 8)

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:49 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
I don’t think it was a bad idea, but I’m obviously in the minority here. I had hoped for the original mono single mixes (where applicable) but as this has not been mentioned in the publicity for the album, I doubt this is going to happen. The reaction I have seen to this release has been generally poor, and given that the mono mixes would make this release more appealing for some, I expect this would have been mentioned if these were due to be included.

My first thoughts were that as FTD will eventually run out of new material, titles that were originally unique to different countries may be of interest to some collectors, and the occasional re-issue may keep the label in business for a little longer. I would agree though that releases that recycle previously issued material are not for everybody, and the appeal of such releases seems likely to be limited.

It's a good release and a nice overview of the 70s but I don't understand why this isn't released by Sony as a mainstream title. It doesn't make any sense to release it on FTD. It's not even a U.S. compilation but if they'll start releasing international compilations as FTD titles, the label could go on forever...

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 am

midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

We all thought that when we bought the 50's, 60's and '70's box sets...........

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:29 am

Tony.. wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

I was never blown away by the sound on the '70s set. It is doubtful that the Elvis Presley catalogue of masters will ever get another complete overhaul from top to bottom by one of the best engineers in the music industry.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 am

midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

I was never blown away by the sound on the '70s set. It is doubtful that the Elvis Presley catalogue of masters will ever get another complete overhaul from top to bottom by one of the best engineers in the music industry.

You must be right, especially re the dodgier movie stuff & unpopular with the public later 70s material. There might be high-resolution files of the hits/popular albums made from analogue tapes, for future 'cloud' etc or hi-res download services I guess. But nobody's gonna touch junk like Clambake & Who Needs Money ever again surely?

I don't think the 2007 Anesini's are always the best though, certain masters sound better elsewhere on older official CD releases IMO. But as a complete masters project thank goodness for it & for Anesini!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Where is This Is Elvis, the Elvis A legendary Performer series etc releases?. Many years ago Ernst stated that his intentions were not to release them

there coming too, and maybe Ernst just changed his mind, I`m pretty sure in 2012 your still entitled to do that :D good grief

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 am

Claus wrote:

No but I'll pay $26.99 for it... in case you miss it, I don't have TCM because it cost $1000.00

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:13 am

Are Rob, Andy and me the minority..?... :lol:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:27 am

The question is, what YOU can do for FTD.
and Not what FTD can do for you

:mrgreen:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Claus wrote:

No but I'll pay $26.99 for it... in case you miss it, I don't have TCM because it cost $1000.00

I only paid half voor TCM and I pass on any FTD to contain masters only.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Are Rob, Andy and me the minority..?... :lol:

I placed my order last night.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Rob wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Are Rob, Andy and me the minority..?... :lol:

I placed my order last night.

I placed mine, too,.really.. :smt006