Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:52 am

There is no indication that this release will contain the mono mixes.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:02 am

midnightx wrote:There is no indication that this release will contain the mono mixes.

There was no indication the Wonderful World of Christmas FTD would use the wrong Merry Christmas Baby, who knows what's on these things until somebody hears one.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm

midnightx wrote:Again, one can make his own compilation of alternates, just like he can for the masters. This reissue seems more like an attempt by FTD to feel out the market to see if the label can issue pricey reissues of out-of-print compilations. If this release is heavily supported, FTD will quite possibly continue down this path. It's up to the consumer to decide if they want FTD to remain a collector's label aimed at releasing archival material or if they want Sony to transform it into a reissue vehicle.

I agree, but it could be a nice way for FTD to bring us these rarites at least in an official way .........

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 pm

mountaindog wrote:Buy it Rob! Do it!!

Tony says that the men in suits will appreciate it, so I will get it.

Thanks.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Well, if Rob is getting it, I am too. Forget my previous concerns....

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm

midnightx wrote:Well, if Rob is getting it, I am too. Forget my previous concerns....

If Rob and midnightx will be getting it...I will be, too...I am no spoiler.. :mrgreen:

Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 pm

It could have been a great opportunity to release mono mixes and on the bonus tracks it could have served as a chance to make a sensible remix of the masters by Anesini to see how it could work.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
midnightx wrote:Well, if Rob is getting it, I am too. Forget my previous concerns....

If Rob and midnightx will be getting it...I will be, too...I am no spoiler.. :mrgreen:

If you guys will get it, I will get it too :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm

HAWAII wrote:If that's you in the picture Roustabout you are forgiven!!! :smt007

LOL!!!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:41 pm

King Volcano wrote:There was no indication the Wonderful World of Christmas FTD would use the wrong Merry Christmas Baby, who knows what's on these things until somebody hears one.

That is unfortunately quite true. The "Merry Christmas Baby" decision was very, very questionable.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Matthew wrote:
King Volcano wrote:There was no indication the Wonderful World of Christmas FTD would use the wrong Merry Christmas Baby, who knows what's on these things until somebody hears one.

That is unfortunately quite true. The "Merry Christmas Baby" decision was very, very questionable.

I don't care what rhetoric or excuses are used to explain the "Merry Christmas Baby" debacle, it appears that FTD simply made a mistake and was unwilling to correct it. Frankly, I would have preferred a revised disc with the correct "Merry Christmas Baby" take, versus FTD correcting the "Fool" mistake, which was arguably not noticeable.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am

dennyelvis wrote:
midnightx wrote:Again, one can make his own compilation of alternates, just like he can for the masters. This reissue seems more like an attempt by FTD to feel out the market to see if the label can issue pricey reissues of out-of-print compilations. If this release is heavily supported, FTD will quite possibly continue down this path. It's up to the consumer to decide if they want FTD to remain a collector's label aimed at releasing archival material or if they want Sony to transform it into a reissue vehicle.

I agree, but it could be a nice way for FTD to bring us these rarites at least in an official way .........

I'm increasingly convinced this won't be the straight stereo masters. If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat whilst listening to just that non-Elvis man's bits from Who Needs Money on a loop.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 am

Already ordered mine.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 am

The men in the suits love people like you, Paul.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 am

Well if Rob, midnightx, Ciscoking, Andy-M and Paul are getting it, I'm getting it too... anyone else?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:00 am

No, I'm not.
Regardless of mono or stereo mixes, if there are no new takes I will not support this title as I think this is the wrong path for FTD to follow.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 am

Ditto. This is a pointless release at ftd prices

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 am

Really, even if it does contain mono mixes (which I'm doubting), it would only be a handful. I'm still holding out for an FTD collecting ALL single mono mixes from 1960 onwards. As it stands Hits Of The 70s appears to be a complete waste of time and money on the face of it. Perhaps the first FTD that people will buy simply for the cover. Stupid.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 am

I don't really get this release. Is there anyone around here who can say why it's a good idea?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 am

Will the true single mix of "Rags To Riches" be released on this? How about other "Single Mixes"? I am talking Stereo and not Mono where applicable.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 am

Matthew wrote:Really, even if it does contain mono mixes (which I'm doubting), it would only be a handful. I'm still holding out for an FTD collecting ALL single mono mixes from 1960 onwards. As it stands Hits Of The 70s appears to be a complete waste of time and money on the face of it. Perhaps the first FTD that people will buy simply for the cover. Stupid.

:) I agree there should be by now a mono singles FTD in one or two volumes :(

Who would want this just for the cover? - it's disgusting & very tacky. Besides, if you want the cover you can get the vinyl LP for about £2, and it's bigger.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:17 am

King Volcano wrote:Besides, if you want the cover you can get the vinyl LP for about £2, and it's bigger.

Very true. Maybe there'll be a special FTD vinyl edition in a few months for £35. It won't have the mono mixes though. :wink:
Last edited by Matthew on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 am

Rob wrote:
mountaindog wrote:Buy it Rob! Do it!!

Tony says that the men in suits will appreciate it, so I will get it.
Thanks.

Gosh, rather send that $35 to someone who doesn't have the money to buy food or medicines!
And i'm saying this as a big FTD-supporter who owns 80% of their releases.

Well-said!
It's up to us what we want: a costly reissue label or a label that gives us unreleased material.
If enough fans buy this release (2000 or 3000 i guess) then you will have to expect at least 2 or 3 'Elvis Sings For Children And Grownups,Too' type of releases each year instead of unreleased or rare stuff!
In my opinion anyone who buys this release is an enemy of collectors (not to mention sober senses). Hard words, maybe, but this is the truth.

I think many fans haven't even realized how important decision they have to make regarding this release. This decision will largely affect the future of collectors and the FTD label. If you want it, buy it, but please think it over before you're doing anything!
Nowadays FTD remained the only label that releases unreleased Elvis-material in large amounts and it would be a crime to change that.
Last edited by mocskoskurva on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24 am

I would be very surprised if this release sells the volume usually shifted for Classic Albums. If it does then the fans only have themselves to blame.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 am

Matthew wrote:I would be very surprised if this release sells the volume usually shifted for Classic Albums.

It won't but they don't even expect it to be. The Sun-box was released only in 3000 copies and that was a very costly one to produce. The production costs of a release like 'Hits Of The 70's' is much-much lower, let's say $8 each. If they can sell 2000 units for $35/piece that's more than enough to make a big profit. And sadly i'm quite sure that there will be at least 2000 fans who'll buy it for the cover. :x
If there is $20 profit on one, that means 2000 sold copies brings $40.000 profit, 3000 sold copies brings $60.000 and so on! Even low sales will bring nice profit!
Last edited by mocskoskurva on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.