Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:30 am

Matthew wrote:
Robt wrote:This one, Matt. And if you click "My Way" it states 14-1-73.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/cd/ftd_ ... vard.shtml


However it's still a good collection of songs that would be more akin as SONY release rather than FTD.

That is not at all indicative that the version on the FTD is from Aloha. That's just a link to the song lyrics. C'mon Walter!



Yeah they just put up the 1973 date for f-ucks sake.

Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 am

Robt wrote:Yeah they just put up the 1973 date for f-ucks sake.

Not linked to the FTD, just with the lyrics, in a separate part of the website, in reference to the first released version of the song. C'mon Walter!

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:25 am

Matthew wrote:
Robt wrote:Yeah they just put up the 1973 date for f-ucks sake.

Not linked to the FTD, just with the lyrics, in a separate part of the website, in reference to the first released version of the song. C'mon Walter!


Man you do have an obsession for old Walter. Even midnightx has passed it. Just for the record, Robt was dormant when Walter Hale posted here in 2008-09. He was killed off three years ago. Another thing I never tried to hide it. hahahahahahaha

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:35 pm

hahaha haha

viewtopic.php?p=572698#p572698

That's one of my favorite posts ever. :lol:

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 am

My Way on this recent FTD is the Saginaw 25/4/77 Version.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:51 am

YDKM wrote:My Way on this recent FTD is the Saginaw 25/4/77 Version.



A nice choice. That was a good performace of My Way as I recall.

rlj

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
YDKM wrote:My Way on this recent FTD is the Saginaw 25/4/77 Version.



A nice choice. That was a good performace of My Way as I recall.

rlj


Yes, it is. But unfortunately has nothing to do with the original single and the "concept" behind this release.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Jean-Marc wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
YDKM wrote:My Way on this recent FTD is the Saginaw 25/4/77 Version.

A nice choice. That was a good performace of My Way as I recall.

Yes, it is. But unfortunately has nothing to do with the original single and the "concept" behind this release.

I'm surprised it wasn't the studio version. :D

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Jean-Marc wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:A nice choice. That was a good performance of My Way as I recall.

rlj


Yes, it is. But unfortunately has nothing to do with the original single and the "concept" behind this release.

Maybe that's why it's slotted as the final track on CD2, and listed as a "Bonus Track."

All the complaints about this release seem a tad over-baked. No FTD collection is a mandatory purchase. And there are over 100 titles to choose from!

The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.

It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

In the end, do not forget that any collection that includes "Mr. Songman" and "My Boy" simply cannot be bad.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

Hasn't it already been noted that the booklet notes [mistakenly] indicate that the correct June 21, 1977 version is included?
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.


John, ...you`ve nailed it, my friend.... ::rocks

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.

John, ...you`ve nailed it, my friend.... ::rocks

This train of thought does the more savvy collector no favours whatsoever.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

Hasn't it already been noted that the booklet notes [mistakenly] indicate that the correct June 21, 1977 version is included?

Dunno. But where do you get "correct" from? Correct according to who?

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

Hasn't it already been noted that the booklet notes [mistakenly] indicate that the correct June 21, 1977 version is included?

Dunno. But where do you get "correct" from? Correct according to who?

Correct according to the album concept. Re. "Hits Of The 70's."

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

There is no recording information in the booklet for any of the tracks featured. However, the "My Way"/"America" single is included in the '70's singles discography, and there is a full page photograph of the red vinyl "My Way" single, with a label which reads 'taken from the album Elvis In Concert' on the back cover of the booklet.

It would seem therefore, that the artwork was prepared with a view to the June '77 version being included.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

Hasn't it already been noted that the booklet notes [mistakenly] indicate that the correct June 21, 1977 version is included?

Dunno. But where do you get "correct" from? Correct according to who?

Correct according to the album concept. Re. "Hits Of The 70's."

What does Bonus Track mean to you?

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.

Hasn't it already been noted that the booklet notes [mistakenly] indicate that the correct June 21, 1977 version is included?

Dunno. But where do you get "correct" from? Correct according to who?

Correct according to the album concept. Re. "Hits Of The 70's."

What does Bonus Track mean to you?

What does blunder mean to you?

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

The included version of My Way is an error, no question. But then the whole release is an error of judgement, so maybe it's apt!

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What does Bonus Track mean to you?

What does blunder mean to you?

You answer my direct question with a question meant to distract, which means the dialogue has ended. Your loss!

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Matthew wrote:The included version of My Way is an error, no question. But then the whole release is an error of judgement, so maybe it's apt!

When did you speak with producer Roger Semon?

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:All the complaints about this release seem a tad over-baked. No FTD collection is a mandatory purchase. And there are over 100 titles to choose from!

The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.


FTD over the years got a lot of unjust critisism and redicule, however I think critisism is right this time. How good intentions may be: the contents of previously released masters do not justify the regular high price the collectors label is charging for the release. How nice the selection may be, I do not need FTD to compile playlists of masters I already obtained by buying TCM. And for sentimental moments I am perfectly happy with the 1974 vinyl original. I think sales will proove that for FTD this is not the way to go.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Alexander wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:All the complaints about this release seem a tad over-baked. No FTD collection is a mandatory purchase. And there are over 100 titles to choose from!

The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.


FTD over the years got a lot of unjust critisism and redicule, however I think critisism is right this time. How good intentions may be: the contents of previously released masters do not justify the regular high price the collectors label is charging for the release.

Then don't buy it!

Hope this helps solve the issue.

Ironically, I understand that "orders have been good" for this release.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 am

The original vinyl release has 12 tracks I really enjoyed. I thought it was a fine album.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Ironically, I understand that "orders have been good" for this release.

Well, fans shouldn't complain in the future when FTD ventures into this territory.

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:When did you speak with producer Roger Semon?

When did you? The only version of My Way issued on single was Rapid City, the single reportedly imaged in the liner notes. Additionally, this release is a re-issue of a collection of "hit" singles. Bonus track or not, the Rapid City My Way was a UK #9 posthumous hit single. But you know all this already.

It's nice you're going to bat for FTD on this, but I suspect - like Merry Christmas Baby - you don't really care about any of this. :wink: