Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 am

I agree with you Tony. I sincerely hope this CD is STEREO. The only reason some tracks were released on the LP in MONO is that RCA UK did not have access to the STEREO masters. Here's a chance to rectify that omission.

MT

Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 am

Tony.. wrote:I don't particularly want mono versions of songs that were recorded and intended for release in stereo. They sound flatter and muddier. Pointless. Like releasing a colour movie in black n white. It's just change for changes' sake.

The mono singles in question were released originally in mono and some of these songs did not receive a stereo mix until long after Elvis died - for example "Patch It Up".

Not all mono mixes sound flat and muddy. Not all stereo mixes sound dynamic and clear (example: Speedway soundtrack).

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 am

Matthew wrote:The mono singles in question were released originally in mono and some of these songs did not receive a stereo mix until long after Elvis died - for example "Patch It Up".

Not all mono mixes sound flat and muddy. Not all stereo mixes sound dynamic and clear (example: Speedway soundtrack).

I agree with this.
My point is about the original mono versions. Like the example provided by Matthew.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 am

A FTD for the UK only Hits of the 70's ?!? Can we assume that there'll be an FTD regarding THE SOUND OF YOUR CRY (also known as ELvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1) in the not too distant future ? The Poms got it right with that one. It's still a gem to listen to 31 years later.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:36 am

Robt wrote:Can we assume that there'll be an FTD regarding THE SOUND OF YOUR CRY (also known as ELvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1) in the not too distant future ?

I doubt it very seriously.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 am

Robt wrote:A FTD for the UK only Hits of the 70's ?!? Can we assume that there'll be an FTD regarding THE SOUND OF YOUR CRY (also known as ELvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1) in the not too distant future ? The Poms got it right with that one. It's still a gem to listen to 31 years later.

It surely is a great compilation. I have the LP and it is a favorite of mine.

...Not that I see a reason for a FTD release of that one. :lol: At least in the case of "Hits" it could be a way to re-release a few mono versions which haven't been featured on official releases since the 70's or so.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:19 am

I say the British RCA pressing was the best, by George :lol: . I got both LP's TSOYC and Greatest Hits Vol. 1. I give a slight edge in sound quality to the latter, however.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:48 am

Robt wrote: Can we assume that there'll be an FTD regarding THE SOUND OF YOUR CRY (also known as ELvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1) in the not too distant future ?

PLEASE, say it isn't so! smt170

rlj

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:19 am

Greatest Hits Vol 1 has the best sounding mix of "Steamroller Blues"....WOW.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am

rlj4ep wrote:
Robt wrote: Can we assume that there'll be an FTD regarding THE SOUND OF YOUR CRY (also known as ELvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1) in the not too distant future ?

PLEASE, say it isn't so! smt170

rlj

I doubt that will happen. But if it does, I will buy it.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Why not ? The Sound of Your Cry features material that remains unavailable such as A Big Hunk of Love and the UK extended single of It's Only Love. Perhaps there was other tracks that Joan Deary and co. was working on that was not featured on the project.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Robt wrote:Why not ? The Sound of Your Cry features material that remains unavailable such as A Big Hunk of Love and the UK extended single of It's Only Love. Perhaps there was other tracks that Joan Deary and co. was working on that was not featured on the project.

All of the unavailable and previously released material from February '72 should have been collected and released on the FTD release unimaginatively titled "An American Trilogy". Instead, they chose to use parts of a previously bootlegged soundboard concert in differing sound quality to the main bulk of the material. So now we have another scenario where material from a live engagement is scattered and strewn over several releases (a similar situation to the "On stage" stuff).

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Robt wrote:Why not ? The Sound of Your Cry features material that remains unavailable such as A Big Hunk of Love and the UK extended single of It's Only Love. Perhaps there was other tracks that Joan Deary and co. was working on that was not featured on the project.

All of the unavailable and previously released material from February '72 should have been collected and released on the FTD release unimaginatively titled "An American Trilogy". Instead, they chose to use parts of a previously bootlegged soundboard concert in differing sound quality to the main bulk of the material. So now we have another scenario where material from a live engagement is scattered and strewn over several releases (a similar situation to the "On stage" stuff).

Sure. But that's not the point of my post. The point is (in case you missed it earlier) will Ernst include The Sound of Your Cry as part of the FTD upgrade particularly in the wake of the UK Hit's of the 70's ?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Deke Rivers II wrote:Greatest Hits Vol 1 has the best sounding mix of "Steamroller Blues"....WOW.

I Agree! This is the version I use in my own compilation CDR's. This is the version from the rehearsal show and it's much more dynamic than the original from the 14th. Pity that this version has not been used instead of the original singles' version, imo!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 am

Will someone please tell me which version of "My Way" is going to be on the soon to be released Hit's of the 70's FTD ? It MUST BE June 21 1977 Rapid City OK !!!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Just read on another website that My Way (3:49) bonus track will be the Aloha. :cry: Sad isn't it that the Rapid City June 21 1977 continually gets overlooked. Shows how little Ernst and Company think of that version. If it was me I would have featured it along with America, it's UK B-side.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Robt wrote:Just read on another website that My Way (3:49) bonus track will be the Aloha. :cry: Sad isn't it that the Rapid City June 21 1977 continually gets overlooked. Shows how little Ernst and Company think of that version. If it was me I would have featured it along with America, it's UK B-side.

Fortunately, you do not compile FTDs. Bad ideas, bad taste and no shame to show it in at least 2 threads... But hey, do not bother. It is all fun at FECC!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 am

Robt wrote:Just read on another website that My Way (3:49) bonus track will be the Aloha. :cry: Sad isn't it that the Rapid City June 21 1977 continually gets overlooked. Shows how little Ernst and Company think of that version. If it was me I would have featured it along with America, it's UK B-side.

What website? What source?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:17 am

If the 1977 single version of "My Way" is indeed used on the FTD reissue of "Hits Of The '70s," I wonder if they will actually use the single edit of the song. The single edit had some dialogue at the very end taken from the end of one of the concerts taped for "Elvis In Concert." The bit I'm talking about is the bit where Elvis says "until we meet again, adios."

Daryl

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:44 am

This one, Matt. And if you click "My Way" it states 14-1-73.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/cd/ftd_ ... vard.shtml

However it's still a good collection of songs that would be more akin as SONY release rather than FTD.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:46 am

Daryl wrote:If the 1977 single version of "My Way" is indeed used on the FTD reissue of "Hits Of The '70s," I wonder if they will actually use the single edit of the song. The single edit had some dialogue at the very end taken from the end of one of the concerts taped for "Elvis In Concert." The bit I'm talking about is the bit where Elvis says "until we meet again, adios."

Daryl

Yeah that also appeared on Elvis Aron Presley. A neat little edit I thought.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 am

Robt wrote:This one, Matt. And if you click "My Way" it states 14-1-73.

However it's still a good collection of songs that would be more akin as SONY release rather than FTD.

That is not at all indicative that the version on the FTD is from Aloha. That's just a link to the song lyrics. C'mon Walter!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 am

Matthew wrote:

That is not at all indicative that the version on the FTD is from Aloha. That's just a link to the song lyrics. C'mon Walter!

The time is listed as 3:49 on the Elvis Australia site -
Bonus Track
25) My Way (3.49) (Paul Anka/J. Reveaux/C. Francois)

On original '73 Aloha album label 3:42 >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpd2-2642-al ... satellite/
On original '77 single label.......... 3:51 >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/my-way-america/

Daryl wrote:If the 1977 single version of "My Way" is indeed used on the FTD reissue of "Hits Of The '70s," I wonder if they will actually use the single edit of the song. The single edit had some dialogue at the very end...

They certainly should (and probably will) use the single edit version since that was the 1977 hit.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 am

Just be thankful it isn't that horrific studio version from 1971... ugh.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 am

Matthew wrote:

Still have a fixation with ole' Walter, Hey Matt :roll: