Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Presley Project: Too Close to Paradise

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Unlike the "What would have Elvis recorded, if he had lived" post before, I am thinking more upon the lines of what if Elvis had recorded these songs around 1972 or 1975.

Although most of the songs weren't written until after 1978. I'm looking at Elvis doing a respectable, challenging album. Maybe we have to suspend "real life" concept here to do this, but I'll explain why each song could have been tailored made for Elvis.

No videos will be posted, just opinions. (Yeah, Rob, it's mental.)

Elvis: Too Close To Paradise

01 Too Close to Paradise
02 Coat of Many Colors
03 Rainy Night in Georgia
04 Only You
05 Crying in the Rain
06 Honky Tonk Man
07 Lady Madonna
08 Nice & Easy
09. (Just Like) Starting Over
10. I Will Always Love You

Too Close to Paradise From Sly Stalone's movie - Paraidse Alley. While Stalone can't really sing, he makes an effort of singing as a cross of Elvis and Neil Diamond.

Coat of Many Colors: Rumored to actually been considered in the mid-1970's. Dolly Parton insisted it was "I Will Always Love You," but our resident Elvis guru - Dr. John - provided some light on the subject.

Rainy Night in Georgia: One lined in a limo in 1972, and was considered for the 1977 Nashville recordings. It would have worked, if he had bothered.

Only You: He wasn't a big fan of John Lennon's, but Lennon recorded a track and guide vocal for Ringo Starr in 1974. Right tempo and speed for Elvis in the 1970's.

Crying in the Rain: Everly Brothers cover, which sounds a lot like Kentucky Rain. Which is why I'd suggested it.

Honky Tonk Man: This is going way out there, because Honky Tonk Man wasn't written until 1987 by Jimmy Hart. There may be a older song with the title, but this was a pseudo Elvis song sung by Wayne Farris, The Honky Tonk Man.

Lady Madonna: A informal recording from either 1970-71 popped up, and I;m guessing he liked the song because he had David Briggs play it as a intstamental several times in Lake Tahoe in '76.

Nice & Easy: A Sinatra hit, that I think would acually work as a Elvis ballad.

(Just Like) Starting Over: Written and performed by John Lennon in 1980. He called it his "Elvis Orbison" song for the album.

I Will Always Love You: Always thought he could do this one, and then Dolly Parton claimed this was the song Col. Parker said Elvis wanted to do. Nice ending to the album.

And if people want me to sing this in the shower, I'd be happy to do it and tape it your y'alls listening pleasure. :/

Re: Elvis Presley Project: Too Close to Paradise

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 am

fg76 wrote:Unlike the "What would have Elvis recorded, if he had lived" post before, I am thinking more upon the lines of what if Elvis had recorded these songs around 1972 or 1975.

Although most of the songs weren't written until after 1978. I'm looking at Elvis doing a respectable, challenging album. Maybe we have to suspend "real life" concept here to do this, but I'll explain why each song could have been tailored made for Elvis.

No videos will be posted, just opinions. (Yeah, Rob, it's mental.)

Elvis: Too Close To Paradise

01 Too Close to Paradise
02 Coat of Many Colors
03 Rainy Night in Georgia
04 Only You
05 Crying in the Rain
06 Honky Tonk Man
07 Lady Madonna
08 Nice & Easy
09. (Just Like) Starting Over
10. I Will Always Love You

Too Close to Paradise From Sly Stalone's movie - Paraidse Alley. While Stalone can't really sing, he makes an effort of singing as a cross of Elvis and Neil Diamond.

Coat of Many Colors: Rumored to actually been considered in the mid-1970's. Dolly Parton insisted it was "I Will Always Love You," but our resident Elvis guru - Dr. John - provided some light on the subject.

Rainy Night in Georgia: One lined in a limo in 1972, and was considered for the 1977 Nashville recordings. It would have worked, if he had bothered.

Only You: He wasn't a big fan of John Lennon's, but Lennon recorded a track and guide vocal for Ringo Starr in 1974. Right tempo and speed for Elvis in the 1970's.

Crying in the Rain: Everly Brothers cover, which sounds a lot like Kentucky Rain. Which is why I'd suggested it.

Honky Tonk Man: This is going way out there, because Honky Tonk Man wasn't written until 1987 by Jimmy Hart. There may be a older song with the title, but this was a pseudo Elvis song sung by Wayne Farris, The Honky Tonk Man.

Lady Madonna: A informal recording from either 1970-71 popped up, and I;m guessing he liked the song because he had David Briggs play it as a intstamental several times in Lake Tahoe in '76.

Nice & Easy: A Sinatra hit, that I think would acually work as a Elvis ballad.

(Just Like) Starting Over: Written and performed by John Lennon in 1980. He called it his "Elvis Orbison" song for the album.

I Will Always Love You: Always thought he could do this one, and then Dolly Parton claimed this was the song Col. Parker said Elvis wanted to do. Nice ending to the album.

And if people want me to sing this in the shower, I'd be happy to do it and tape it your y'alls listening pleasure. :/

Think he means Honky Tonk Girls by the Stones

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Or Honky Tonk Saturday Night. Really, I don't see the point in these 'what if' type of things. We ALL wish, from a selfish point of view I guess, that Elvis had recorded all of these and more. But we cannot do anything about this. I am happy with what exists and hopefully the few future finds that may come our way.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 pm

TheMaskedClown wrote:Think he means Honky Tonk Girls by the Stones

You mean Honky Tonk Women.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 am

No, I meant Honky Tonk Man -- this song.
phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 pm

ok honky