Ok cool, thanks! I thought the rehearsal was a separate release... good to know

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Greg1995

Re: October and December FTDs

Post by Greg1995 »

Why not make a nice 2 CD set of August 12 1972 concerts - evening and midnight show? There are soundboards out there ( Hilton's All Shook Up and Hot August Night) and save the rehearsal for other release?

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Greg1995 wrote:Why not make a nice 2 CD set of August 12 1972 concerts - evening and midnight show? There are soundboards out there ( Hilton's All Shook Up and Hot August Night) and save the rehearsal for other release?
It obviously complements the live show. Ernst and roger are no fools...

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

elvissessions wrote:
memphisound wrote:Thats interesting logic.
Makes sense to me ... if the masters were sourced or processed differently, as the bootleg tapes have been, there's a reason to purchase.

If it's a straight duplication of masters, there's really no audible reason to buy. (There may be *other* reasons, but sound wouldn't be one, as far as we know, anyways.)
Thank you for saying exactly what I would have replied.

nod3million

Post by nod3million »

poormadpeter wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
Rob wrote:
Rigs wrote:I don't know who is more retarted the producers or the ones who will buy this turd of a release!
What are your thoughts about the ones who can't spell it?

I'm still skeptical about this actually being released by FTD. I'll believe it when I see it. However, if this is really released by FTD, I'm kissing someone's ass.

It will also be the first FTD release that I skip.
If the official Camden CD reissues sold, I guess this will too? Not that I'll get it probably, but just sayin :)

There must be quite a few people with a full set of Sony Camden CDs, which would have cost more that one FTD and equally as pointless (or not, depending on point of view).
Yes, but there is the crux of it. Most of the Camden albums can be picked up for a few pounds, whereas this effort is going to cost more than all of them put together. If Hits of the 70s was reissued just with the original track listing at a budget or mid-price level, then many would pick it up if only for sentimentality associated with the old LP. Here, though, ithe track listing is extended to a double CD and therefore the songs from the original album are dwarfed by a cavalcade of other masters and therefore we are not really getting the original album either! The same could be argued for the classic album series in general, but at least the extra material is generally outtakes of the same songs and so you can actually remember what album you are listening to!
This is an excellent point.
With all the "bonus" songs added this FTD version of Hits of the 70s isnt actually anything to do with the original Hits of the 70s at all. Its just a new 70s compilation on a collectors label with the old cover.

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

nod3million wrote:With all the "bonus" songs added this FTD version of Hits of the 70s isnt actually anything to do with the original Hits of the 70s at all. Its just a new 70s compilation on a collectors label with the old cover.
Adding the remaining "Hits of the 70's" as bonus songs is a good sound idea.

But to then include the B-sides at the expense of alternate versions of those hits is tantamount to madness.

Hank

Post by Hank »

Great news about "From Elvis Presley Boulevard...", and (if true) "Back In Memphis".

As for the 70's comp...it doesn't sound all that interesting to me, but I'm sure it will appeal to some. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to see why people are so stoked about "Prince From Another Planet"--as far as I'm concerned, what's awesome about that release is that I now can grab a copy of "An Afternoon In The Garden" for $5 out of the Walmart bargain bin--but to each his or her own.

elvisland
Mood:

Post by elvisland »

i will be getting epbmt and hits of the 70s always loved the cover just hope the sound is great and also thanks ken for the info :D

Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

If the August 12th concert is confirmed to be the couple to the rehearsals tapes, is not the best option, imo, because the CS from that engagement is still unreleased an is recorded, according the info from several webs.

Regards!

Universidad de Chile team, Tri Champion 2011, Chilean tournaments Apertura and Clausura 2011 and Sudamericana Cup 2011 (undefeated champion)

Topic author
poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Alfredo wrote:If the August 12th concert is confirmed to be the couple to the rehearsals tapes, is not the best option, imo, because the CS from that engagement is still unreleased an is recorded, according the info from several webs.

Regards!
The August 12 show is unreleased as well if you don't buy illegal goods.

Moody_Blue

Post by Moody_Blue »

ale wrote:I've found that Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain – take 4 is totally new as it wasn't release on Welcome to the Jungle boot 8)

Worth the price of admission - good catch! Anything else new on any of the releases other than the rehearsal stuff that we know about?

lucio

Post by lucio »

Since 'Hits of the 70s' is a package that does not interest me, I thank Ernst for not adding any unreleased takes that force me to spend the money for a few new tracks.
That being said, I wish he would give us an unreleased August 1972 concert with the rehearsal package. There are so many in the BMG vaults to choose from without having to duplicate imports/bootlegs.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling

Post by ritchie valens »

hits of the 70s will be the worst ftd release in it's history.it should be issued to the mainstream public not a collectors label.
it will be a waste of money on ftd.It would sell better in mainsteam since lots like the 70s best.move it to the mainstream not Ftd Ernst we don't want it on ftd.Bad move on your part dude.
I thought it's a collectors label still?
cancel this one on ftd.give us a April 72 show instead it's way beyond time for it.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

According to KF's site (Forgive me, I've lost track..is the site now considered friend or foe here?), Take 6 of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is previously unreleased, as is Take 4 of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain."

Looks like the wild cards in the FTD treatment of FEPBMT are the 3B, 4A, 4B and 5B takes of "For The Heart." Is it possible that there were alternate arrangements tried out, as with "She Thinks I Still Care?" Again, based solely on information publicly available, there is very little material from these sessions that has not been released in some form in the import market. I see Take 6 of "Solitaire," Takes 6 and 7 of "For The Heart," Takes 1-4 of "Danny Boy," and Take 3 of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain. Obviously, it will great to have some of the booted tracks in pristine quality.

More than anything, I hope, I hope, I hope, that the masters will sound as good as they can.

While I was quite familiar with a number of other Elvis albums, this was the one that made me a fan. I was 11 years old, my Dad played it constantly, and I listened to it the morning of June 26, 1976, shortly before heading to Providence, where I attended both concerts at the Civic Center. None of us knew the backstory on the album at the time. We had no way of knowing that Elvis was struggling as much as he was. I was too young to be part of the "He shouldn't be singing this kind of stuff" crowd. I just liked what I heard, and I am very anxious to hear the FTD treatment.

As for "Hits of the 70s," I purchased the album in the summer of '81, while on a teen tour in Israel. I found it in a record shop in a little town called Afula. (Picked up "Guitar Man" at the same time.) If memory serves, I had never before heard "I'm Leavin."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

elvisjock wrote:According to KF's site (Forgive me, I've lost track..is the site now considered friend or foe here?), Take 6 of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is previously unreleased, as is Take 4 of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain."

Looks like the wild cards in the FTD treatment of FEPBMT are the 3B, 4A, 4B and 5B takes of "For The Heart." Is it possible that there were alternate arrangements tried out, as with "She Thinks I Still Care?" Again, based solely on information publicly available, there is very little material from these sessions that has not been released in some form in the import market. I see Take 6 of "Solitaire," Takes 6 and 7 of "For The Heart," Takes 1-4 of "Danny Boy," and Take 3 of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain. Obviously, it will great to have some of the booted tracks in pristine quality.

More than anything, I hope, I hope, I hope, that the masters will sound as good as they can.
I don't understand why they didn't take this opportunity to remix the master tracks... this FTD will essentially have the masters as heard on TCM set or the 2009 release. :(

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Every upcoming FTD release i look forward too.
Back in Memphis, EP Boulevard, the '72 reharsal and show...

But this one even more... a trip down memory lane.
And with the upgrading of bonus tracks, it's truly Hits of the 70's.

My grey played album and boolteg cd will finally have a worthy first grade companion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

elvis-fan wrote:
elvisjock wrote:According to KF's site (Forgive me, I've lost track..is the site now considered friend or foe here?), Take 6 of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is previously unreleased, as is Take 4 of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain."

I don't understand why they didn't take this opportunity to remix the master tracks... this FTD will essentially have the masters as heard on TCM set or the 2009 release. :(
How do we know they didn't work on the masters?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

elvis-fan wrote:

Why should the masters be remixed? A historically accurate mix for the masters should be commended.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

You are correct, midnightx.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

JohanD wrote:Every upcoming FTD release i look forward too.
Back in Memphis, EP Boulevard, the '72 reharsal and show...

But this one even more... a trip down memory lane.
And with the upgrading of bonus tracks, it's truly Hits of the 70's.

My grey played album and boolteg cd will finally have a worthy first grade companion.
I very much look forward to this release as well. It will get lots of time in my cd player. It may well become my favorite FTD.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I'd like to see all the undubbed 1976 masters officially released. And, a remix of the finished masters would be welcome. The sound on Way Down from E1, and on Moody Blue from "E2" demonstrates how much better these recordings can sound. I don't understand the fascination with "rough mix masters" that Ernst tags onto many of the classic albums. It's generally accepted that Elvis' records often suffered from overproduction. Let's get back to basics and hear them sound as good, quality wise, as the outtakes.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

elvisjock wrote:I'd like to see all the undubbed 1976 masters officially released....I don't understand the fascination with "rough mix masters" that Ernst tags onto many of the classic albums. It's generally accepted that Elvis' records often suffered from overproduction. Let's get back to basics and hear them sound as good, quality wise, as the outtakes.
Agreed. I don't get the fascination of the rough mixes either. I never play them. I suppose they are interesting from a historical standpoint to hear at least once, but it isn't as if Jarvis was doing something really cool with the rough mixes.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

elvisjock wrote:How do we know they didn't work on the masters?
By what's listed as "credits" for the FEPB FTD... it say Remastered by Vic Anesini... if the tracks were remixed, it would state it...
midnightx wrote:Why should the masters be remixed? A historically accurate mix for the masters should be commended.
Sure but they've been available since 2009. The FEPB album masters are terribly dull/muddy sounding on the original LP... and while the remastered 2009 CD is an improvement, it's not much of one. It would be great if they were on par with the recordings as heard on The Jungle Room Sessions... remastering the original mixes is not enough to accomplish this.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Some of the rough mixes are interesting, especially if they are close to the session conclusions like those on Elvis Country, as they become performance mixes. The Today mixes are of interest as well. They are also a cheaper way of in some cases presenting undubbed masters without having to create new mixes, which I've no doubt it partly why they're used! Why create a new undubbed mix when "hey!" here's one from 1976 already!

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

At the time, recording Elvis at Graceland was seen as nothing but a hassle. It was the only way they were going to get him to open his mouth and sing. The venue was a handicap. Colonel only cared that Felton came up with the requisite album and single cuts.

Had there been a single person in the organization charged with creativity (even if it was a known quantity like Schilling), it might have dawned on them that the so-called crisis presented an opportunity. Hey, cutting a record at Elvis' house. That could be COOL! Instead, they took recordings that turned out to be of surprisingly high technical quality, and they ruined them with strings and horns and God knows what else.

My point it is, they did the whole thing backwards. Instead of artificially making the records sound "normal," they missed a chance to get back to basics and do something different.