Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 am

My real thoughts were and are to this day. He looked good and sang well. He pulled off what he needed to........the image was intact. (Anyone expecting to see the 1957 Elvis....or 68-69-70 Elvis well, that wasn't going to happen.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:50 am

tcb4 wrote:What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

You know, question man, after 4 pages you need to offer your opinion as well.

For me, I saw the inaugural U.S. broadcast in 1973. I was a kid. My mom was excited, she made sure to have it ready to go on "the" color TV in the family living room (the old black and white had been donated to my room a year earlier).

I was thrilled by the pageantry, and the opening rock 'n' roll numbers, bored to tears by the ballads. I almost left the room when "Something" began, but stuck around for "Steamroller Blues." Then I drifted out as Presley's next ballad kicked in. Mom called me into the room when "Johnny B. Goode" started up, but I soon moved back to reading my comics.


phpBB [video]


Elvis Presley, "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" (NBC-TV, Wednesday, April 4, 1973)

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

You know, question man, after 4 pages you need to offer your opinion as well.

For me, I saw the inaugural U.S. broadcast in 1973. I was a kid. My mom was excited, she made sure to have it ready to go on "the" color TV in the family living room (the old black and white had been donated to my room a year earlier).

I was thrilled by the pageantry, and the opening rock 'n' roll numbers, bored to tears by the ballads. I almost left the room when "Something" began, but stuck around for "Steamroller Blues." Then I drifted out as Presley's next ballad kicked in. Mom called me into the room when "Johnny B. Goode" started up, but I soon moved back to reading my comics.


phpBB [video]


Elvis Presley, "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" (NBC-TV, Wednesday, April 4, 1973)

No way are we believing this story Doc. I know even if you were 6 months old you would not have ever under no circumstances left the room on Elvis!

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:09 pm

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

You know, question man, after 4 pages you need to offer your opinion as well.

For me, I saw the inaugural U.S. broadcast in 1973. I was a kid. My mom was excited, she made sure to have it ready to go on "the" color TV in the family living room (the old black and white had been donated to my room a year earlier).

I was thrilled by the pageantry, and the opening rock 'n' roll numbers, bored to tears by the ballads. I almost left the room when "Something" began, but stuck around for "Steamroller Blues." Then I drifted out as Presley's next ballad kicked in. Mom called me into the room when "Johnny B. Goode" started up, but I soon moved back to reading my comics.


phpBB [video]


Elvis Presley, "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" (NBC-TV, Wednesday, April 4, 1973)

No way are we believing this story Doc. I know even if you were 6 months old you would not have ever under no circumstances left the room on Elvis!


lol.....agree there, he's kidding us

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 pm

No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Saw it on Aug 16 1978 as part of the Memories of Elvis featuring Ann Margret on the channel Seven network. I thought it was in the main a good polished show.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 am

I saw it when it first aired in 1973 (I live in Michigan). I was absolutely spell-bound to the TV. Even after so many times having viewed since, I still am in awe of his performance. And I should also say that in 1973 there was no one that could match him-which remains true to this day. Many imitators there have been-but they pale in comparison.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 am

But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 am

Robt wrote:But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

In hindsight, many were the most compelling performances from the special.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 am

midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

In hindsight, many were the most compelling performances from the special.


Agreed. While Burning Love and Big Hunk O'Love are noteworthy, the ballads/dramatic songs really carried the performance.

rlj

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 am

midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

In hindsight, many were the most compelling performances from the special.


Not strictly true. "Welcome to my World" "Something" and "It's Over" was bland.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 am

"It´s over" is one of my favorites from the show, I think it´s great!

Lennart

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am

Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

In hindsight, many were the most compelling performances from the special.


Not strictly true. "Welcome to my World" "Something" and "It's Over" was bland.


Awwww, come on?

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

Such a late start for such a lot of Presley knowledge you have there Doc. :shock:

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

Such a late start for such a lot of Presley knowledge you have there Doc. :shock:

Well, I'm a reader.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

Such a late start for such a lot of Presley knowledge you have there Doc. :shock:

Well, I'm a reader.


"Well, looks like we got ourselves a reader"

:smt002
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 am

Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:But don't you reckon he overdid it with the ballads ?

In hindsight, many were the most compelling performances from the special.


Not strictly true. "Welcome to my World" "Something" and "It's Over" was bland.

Welcome To My World and It's Over clearly triumph over non-ballad performances of Blue Suede Shoes, Suspicious Minds, Hound Dog, and Johnny B Goode.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

In the late 1980s a friend lent me his VHS copy of "Aloha From Hawaii". I thought it was boring and to be honest I still don't think it's an exciting show.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:In the late 1980s a friend lent me his VHS copy of "Aloha From Hawaii". I thought it was boring and to be honest I still don't think it's an exciting show.


Would that be because of too many ballads ?

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 pm

He may not be at his absolute peak but its a good show a gift he left us behind

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Robt wrote:
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:In the late 1980s a friend lent me his VHS copy of "Aloha From Hawaii". I thought it was boring and to be honest I still don't think it's an exciting show.

Would that be because of too many ballads ?

I'd say yes. I first saw this Special in my early teens (mid-90s) and I thought Elvis looked out-of-this-world, just majestically great! But his voice sounded sheepish, specially the first 1/3 of the show, and there were way too many bombastic ballads for my taste. And the rockers were just minute-long throwaways (except for "Burning Love" and "A Big Hunk O' Love.")
The only ballad performed that night I (kinda) like is "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," and to me the highlight of the whole show was "An American Trilogy." He sure loved his Country!

phpBB [video]



I own the 2-DVD set, but I don't watch it very often, and when I do it's just to see Elvis in that cool American Eagle suit (one of the very few jumpsuits I actually like).

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 am

Angles wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

Such a late start for such a lot of Presley knowledge you have there Doc. :shock:

Well, I'm a reader.


"Well, looks like we got ourselves a reader"

:smt002

Image


You have no idea how flattered I am to be mentioned in the same company as the late, great Bill Hicks.

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

So Doc are you aged
30-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
50+
???????????????

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:18 am

i cant really remember what excatley i thought, other than i liked it and watched it a lot

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:23 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No kidding -- those were my thoughts, and my experience, with Elvis and "Aloha" back in 1973.

I would have to wait until 1977 to see the 1968 TV Special. THAT changed everything.

So Doc are you aged
30-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
50+
???????????????

See above.