Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:10 pm

The remarkable massive production stage alone was worth seeing. All those flashing lights, mirrors on the sides to make it look even larger than it already was, and the long cat walk with the colorful lights. Not to mention the space illusion with the stars showing in the background during some slower songs. It was by far ahead of its time for television concert productions. I hink I read once where it took several weeks and a large working crew to build the stage for the show,

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I hate to be a "numbers" kind of man here but......

"Aloha From Hawaii" was NOT shown to 1.5 BILLION people on January 14, 1973! It was only shown to a few places in the FAR EAST that night and EUROPE on a tape-delayed basis ONE-DAY LATER and the U.S., of course, didn't see it until April 4, 1973 so.....no, no, no, no, no......it was absolutely NOT broadcasted to over 1.5 BILLION people on the night that it originally aired on January 14, 1973! It absolutely bugs the crap out of me to see how many people still believe that!

The estimation was 1.5 billion. Meaning it was being beamed to that many people globally over a 72-hour window. Not that the 1.5 billion number was the amount of how many people tuned in all at once. It mainly was being viewed live only in parts of Asia and Europe. The rest of the world would receive it over the next 24-48 hours. America was the last to receive it, which came in April to tie in with the album release.

The show was a milestone and groundbreaking event in television history. Never before had this been accomplished before. But if you want to get technical on the actual numbers who did view it, including the US and Canada months later, then the actual number would be by far be higher than 1.5 billion world wide. Try more like 2 billion. But, that's just an estimate on how many would be able to eventually view it. Aloha From Hawaii was so popular that it was re-broadcasted throughout the world many times following its debut. Especially in the US where it ran many times from 1973-2007. It is still today re-airing on television throughout the world.

And for the record, the claim isn't that 1.5 billion people viewed it all at once. The claim is that over 1.5 billion would see the concert. The actual numbers will never be tallied as they were not recorded by record keepers. But we do know that it was being broadcasted to as many as 1.5 potential viewers.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Disappointed.
smt174

Glad that gave you such a laugh, Brad. :?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 pm

The first thing that struck me about the show when i first saw it, was the unusual choice of songs. For a worldwide event, where was "It's Now Or Never", "His Lastest Flame", "Good Luck Charm"?! And all the other massive worldwide hits he had. Instead, we get MOR pap like, "What Now My Love", "My Way" etc...and a rushed "Hound Dog", a waste of time "Blue Suede Shoes". Hardly the sort of treatment to give your fans around the world. It was basically, his Vegas show televised around the world. And considering the type of event it was, he couldn't even be bothered to change his repertoire and give the world the songs that made him famous. There's absolutely no creativity or proper direction in that show. To me, it just looks very ametuerishly done, the people that filmed the show probably just said to him, "just do what you normally do on stage and we will film you".

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The first thing that struck me about the show when i first saw it, was the unusual choice of songs. For a worldwide event, where was "It's Now Or Never", "His Lastest Flame", "Good Luck Charm"?! And all the other massive worldwide hits he had. Instead, we get MOR pap like, "What Now My Love", "My Way" etc...and a rushed "Hound Dog", a waste of time "Blue Suede Shoes". Hardly the sort of treatment to give your fans around the world. It was basically, his Vegas show televised around the world. And considering the type of event it was, he couldn't even be bothered to change his repertoire and give the world the songs that made him famous. There's absolutely no creativity or proper direction in that show. To me, it just looks very ametuerishly done, the people that filmed the show probably just said to him, "just do what you normally do on stage and we will film you".

I think we got your point or lack of from the comment you left on the page before...thanks for enlightening us with your wisdom once again... smt175

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I had never seen Elvis perform on film until Aloha was shown on national tv 31/12 1979.
Can only describe the feeling when watching as WOW :D
In 84 when we got our first VCR I rented This is Elvis and watched the Aloha part over and over again.....then the show was releaed on video the year after for the first time.....that was awesome at the time.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The first thing that struck me about the show when i first saw it, was the unusual choice of songs.

What were you expecting? Anyone familiar with his career from that era should not find it unusual.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:32 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The first thing that struck me about the show when i first saw it, was the unusual choice of songs. For a worldwide event, where was "It's Now Or Never", "His Lastest Flame", "Good Luck Charm"?! And all the other massive worldwide hits he had. Instead, we get MOR pap like, "What Now My Love", "My Way" etc...and a rushed "Hound Dog", a waste of time "Blue Suede Shoes". Hardly the sort of treatment to give your fans around the world. It was basically, his Vegas show televised around the world. And considering the type of event it was, he couldn't even be bothered to change his repertoire and give the world the songs that made him famous. There's absolutely no creativity or proper direction in that show. To me, it just looks very ametuerishly done, the people that filmed the show probably just said to him, "just do what you normally do on stage and we will film you".

I think we got your point or lack of from the comment you left on the page before...thanks for enlightening us with your wisdom once again... smt175

That's ok, elvis-fan. I like expressing my opinions :) Makes me feel good :smt006 Just thought i'd elaborate a bit more on the word boring that i posted earlier on here. Glad you liked it though ::rocks

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:37 pm

midnightx wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The first thing that struck me about the show when i first saw it, was the unusual choice of songs.

What were you expecting? Anyone familiar with his career from that era should not find it unusual.

Read my post again, midnightx. And think a little harder when reading it.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Once was enough. There was nothing unusual about it. Disappointing perhaps? Yes. Expected? Yes. Unusual? No.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Watching "ALOHA" for the first time ?

Surreal ...

Despite a flaw or two, almost 40 years on and It's still an amazing concert from an amazing performer with an amazing charasmatic charm that still hold s up well in this modern world.

Love ya Elvis ...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Amen Minkahed -

This show is one of Elvis best - I Feel
Its one of my all tyme favs

- Takn Care Of Elvis 4Ever -

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57 pm

The Aloha From Hawaii concert was the quintessential moment in Elvis' career.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 am

The Aloha broadcast is what got me hooked forever. I enjoyed TTWII when I first saw it in a theater toward the end of 1970. I saw Graceland the first time in July 1971 when Elvis was in Lake Tahoe. I bought the Madison Square Garden album upon its release in the summer of 72 and played it to death. However, when I first saw the Aloha concert as it aired in the States in April 1973, it was then that I knew I was in for the long haul. I still love this concert more than ever today.

When he tosses that cape into the audience and walks off stage holding a crown, it makes me damn proud to be a fan of Elvis Presley.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:03 am

Rob wrote:When he tosses that cape into the audience and walks off stage holding a crown, it makes me damn proud to be a fan of Elvis Presley.

That was a really cool moment, Rob. The day after the original broadcast a number of my high school classmates were commenting about the cape and crown as well.

rlj

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 am

I remember seeing EOT first in about 1983 and then i saw TTWII and then i saw Aloha and thought omg how good he look, but i actually prefer the rehearsal show Elvis seem more at ease but as it was the rehearsal and not goin out to billion ppl thats understandable. The 2 concerts were exciting when i first saw them and i still go wow when i hear What now and Amercian Trilogy , as other said i just wished the songs were different. Would of loved to see Elvis sing The Impossible Dream , but other than that Elvis never looked any better in the 70's in my eyes.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:I hate to be a "numbers" kind of man here but......

"Aloha From Hawaii" was NOT shown to 1.5 BILLION people on January 14, 1973! It was only shown to a few places in the FAR EAST that night and EUROPE on a tape-delayed basis ONE-DAY LATER and the U.S., of course, didn't see it until April 4, 1973 so.....no, no, no, no, no......it was absolutely NOT broadcasted to over 1.5 BILLION people on the night that it originally aired on January 14, 1973! It absolutely bugs the crap out of me to see how many people still believe that!

The estimation was 1.5 billion. Meaning it was being beamed to that many people globally over a 72-hour window. Not that the 1.5 billion number was the amount of how many people tuned in all at once. It mainly was being viewed live only in parts of Asia and Europe. The rest of the world would receive it over the next 24-48 hours. America was the last to receive it, which came in April to tie in with the album release.

The show was a milestone and groundbreaking event in television history. Never before had this been accomplished before. But if you want to get technical on the actual numbers who did view it, including the US and Canada months later, then the actual number would be by far be higher than 1.5 billion world wide. Try more like 2 billion. But, that's just an estimate on how many would be able to eventually view it. Aloha From Hawaii was so popular that it was re-broadcasted throughout the world many times following its debut. Especially in the US where it ran many times from 1973-2007. It is still today re-airing on television throughout the world.

And for the record, the claim isn't that 1.5 billion people viewed it all at once. The claim is that over 1.5 billion would see the concert. The actual numbers will never be tallied as they were not recorded by record keepers. But we do know that it was being broadcasted to as many as 1.5 potential viewers.

That 2 billions did actually see the show in 1973 is very unlikely, to say the least. The world's population at that time were about 4 billion...

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:13 am

Rob wrote:The Aloha broadcast is what got me hooked forever. I enjoyed TTWII when I first saw it in a theater toward the end of 1970. I saw Graceland the first time in July 1971 when Elvis was in Lake Tahoe. I bought the Madison Square Garden album upon its release in the summer of 72 and played it to death. However, when I first saw the Aloha concert as it aired in the States in April 1973, it was then that I knew I was in for the long haul. I still love this concert more than ever today.

When he tosses that cape into the audience and walks off stage holding a crown, it makes me damn proud to be a fan of Elvis Presley.

Rob.......I love ya Man :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 am

Rob wrote:The Aloha broadcast is what got me hooked forever. I enjoyed TTWII when I first saw it in a theater toward the end of 1970. I saw Graceland the first time in July 1971 when Elvis was in Lake Tahoe. I bought the Madison Square Garden album upon its release in the summer of 72 and played it to death. However, when I first saw the Aloha concert as it aired in the States in April 1973, it was then that I knew I was in for the long haul. I still love this concert more than ever today.

Couldn't have said it better myself... at that moment in time he was supernatural.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:56 pm

I was and am truly impressed.
It's a fine showcase of an artist who rocked and most of all sang wih real feelings.
He looked stunning... the only real royalty America ever had.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm

I was excited and a little nervous.
I was just 7 years old when it was shown here in Sweden the 20th of january 1973.
The were a few moments when the picture disappeared just as the helicopter landed but it came back after a few seconds, luckily :)

I still like the show although it´s not my favorite show but songs such as
It´s over, Burning love, Steamroller blues, Trilogy are absolutely great.
It´s a pity he did such uninspired versions of Hound dog and Blue suede shoes, those songs should not have been included in the setlist if Elvis didn´t have the time or interest to do better versions of those two classics.

I usually watch my favorite songs rather than the whole show nowadays and it´s been a while since watched the DVD but on Youtube I sometimes look at certain songs from that show, like the ones I mentioned.

Lennart

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Y'know, although I'm not a fan of watching Aloha, I was listening to the original mix on the old CD today for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten how great the original mix is, listening to it loud really hits home how well he did under all that pressure & problems. It kicks MUCH more ass than the remixes which were how I first heard the concert, and it's a good CD unlike my old MSG CD which sounds like it was mastered underwater.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 pm

1st time i thought, is that him, well his bigger now

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 pm

robbie wrote: well his bigger now

What is that supposed to mean? Can you elaborate on that please mate.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:56 am

My first thoughts were...............so this is what heaven looks likes. :)