Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah, I shouldn't be so cynical. I just love Elvis voice in the 70s so much, I was so disappointed seeing Aloha right in the middle of my big EP discovery period, it brought me down to earth a bit, but hey.. Elvis doing a good Unchained Melody in 77 is more wonderful than the entire careers of many lesser artists, so I shouldn't be too harsh on Aloha :)

karlos wrote:To King Volcano -Im Sorry Buddy but I just have ta disagree with ya comments about Elvis hair looks like its sprayed like wirewool and he had leather type skin - -
Please reconsider ya viewpoints on this show buddy - Surely yu gotta credit Elvis for a great performance and status on this show asa mega star - Cmon buddy - pl. reconsider - ok - think of it -

Elvis surely looked great and sang well on this show with his Eagle suit - he looked trim for the time- In 72 he put on and lost weight - Before he did Aloha - he underwent a strict diet and lost many pounds before the show date - etc -

Please remember that Elvis was touring during 1970's and was challenged to play to the world - at 1 Time - via satellite - surely he was tired and he took the challenge and achieved his goal to worldwide audiences - who couldnt attend concerts -

Surely yu can agree with me and many fans that he was a great humanitarian - who sacrificed many pleasures - during his life as a boy /man -

I personally feel and believe that Aloha Show defined his popularity amongst fans and this broadcast was the very first time any concert from a Super star was transmitted worldwide at one time -

Yes I agree with you that EOT was good - ok - But please remember my friend that Elvis was World wide megastar who achieved many of his goals and challenges - He Rocks My ( Our) World - TCE4Ever -

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 am

Boring and tiresome - but somehow fascinating.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 am

My thoughts when I first it? Wow! An event! Elvis was "Kingly." Certainly didn't find it boring or tiresome. But then I did see the show when it debuted on U.S. TV in April '73. My views weren't colored by years of hindsight. I still enjoy the show. Whenever I watch the DVD I always watch the U.S. version of the telecast.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:22 am

My first thought was..."I wish I was the guy who caught the cape".

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 am

This was my first time seeing Elvis perform, I had not yet seen Elvis On Tour or Thats The Way It Is. Therefore I had no other performances by Elvis to compare it to. I still remember the feeling of complete awe that I felt that night, I became a lifelong fan. His voice, performance and appearance were stunning.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:42 am

Disappointed.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:02 am

Lover Doll wrote:This was my first time seeing Elvis perform, I had not yet seen Elvis On Tour or Thats The Way It Is. Therefore I had no other performances by Elvis to compare it to. I still remember the feeling of complete awe that I felt that night, I became a lifelong fan. His voice, performance and appearance were stunning.

"Stunning" is the word. Forget comparisons. Under the extreme circumstances -- and taken as a stand-alone performance -- it was stunning.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:06 am

we still had a black & white set at the time, but i was BLOWN AWAY watching it first time around!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 am

First time I saw Aloha? When Elvis came out onto that stage for the first time, I thought he was the coolest looking thing ever. I still feel that way when I see that.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:30 am

Dan_T wrote:Disappointed.
smt174

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 am

I was excited with anticipation at 8:30pm on that Wednesday evening in April 1973 when it was coming on. I thought he looked great, especially on our new color TV set. At the end I remember feeling a bit disappointed that he didn't do more of his own songs.

rlj

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 am

What I do not understand is that people claim Elvis should have been on TV more often, but this show they find boring or are disappointed. Imagine what would have happened if Elvis would have been on TV each month! :smt003

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 am

I first saw it as a posthumous BBC edited re-run and enjoyed it (the cape throw was stunning).

It's not an LP or video that I visit often but I did watch the deluxe edition when I bought it and I was surprised at just how good it was in a different way to the '68, '70 or '72 tapes.

As far as EPE is concerned, this is the last will and testament. As such, it's a good way to bow out.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 am

I first watched the rehearsal show and thought he looked and sounded spectacular. With hindsight we could go on forever about set list, movement etc but he certainly could be proud on the morning of Jan 15th 1973. 8)

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:00 am

tcb4 wrote:hi

What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

Go !

Boring!! I thought Elvis was BORING!!!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Around 1974/75 the UK fan club held its annual convention in Leicester and one of the highlights was to be the first British screening of Aloha on the big screen. I travelled overnight to the event with a coach load of fans all keen to see the show we had up to that point only heard on album.
By the time the show started we were all really tired from travelling and queuing plus having had a few pints of ale along the way, so it was difficult to give the special my full attention. I dropped off to sleep a couple of times while watching and just couldn’t get into it at all. The one feeling I remember even today is how “safe” the performance was. I was used to an Elvis who excited me by his stage movements, joking with his audience and surprising me in some way. Aloha had none of this and it left me feeling disappointed. It’s not a show I watch very often, preferring the two MGM movies for the live Elvis experience

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 pm

At the time I was, I reckon, about 9 years old. I was hooked on TTWII and ON TOUR and of coure the NBC stuff. I thought there was something wrong with his voice and that it "wobbled". I remember remarking to my mother that he sounded old.

I have different opinions now and realise that's how his voice was at the time. But initially, I was dissapointed with the vocals and lack of movement, but impressed with all the songs I didn't know at the time. My favourite part was the Helecopter arrival and "Paradise: Hawaiian Style" playing over it! LOL!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 pm

I hate to be a "numbers" kind of man here but......

"Aloha From Hawaii" was NOT shown to 1.5 BILLION people on January 14, 1973! It was only shown to a few places in the FAR EAST that night and EUROPE on a tape-delayed basis ONE-DAY LATER and the U.S., of course, didn't see it until April 4, 1973 so.....no, no, no, no, no......it was absolutely NOT broadcasted to over 1.5 BILLION people on the night that it originally aired on January 14, 1973! It absolutely bugs the crap out of me to see how many people still believe that!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:07 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
tcb4 wrote:hi

What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

Go !

Boring!! I thought Elvis was BORING!!!

wash your mouth out with soap..... :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Yes, Tony many. of us are well aware that it's a dubious claim,(as are many associated with many famous careers), but what has that to do with the the tilte of this thread? You really should get "bugged" about something in this world that's still worth being "bugged" about.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I hate to be a "numbers" kind of man here but......

"Aloha From Hawaii" was NOT shown to 1.5 BILLION people on January 14, 1973! It was only shown to a few places in the FAR EAST that night and EUROPE on a tape-delayed basis ONE-DAY LATER and the U.S., of course, didn't see it until April 4, 1973 so.....no, no, no, no, no......it was absolutely NOT broadcasted to over 1.5 BILLION people on the night that it originally aired on January 14, 1973! It absolutely bugs the crap out of me to see how many people still believe that!

It bugs the crap out of me to see people bashing Elvis' achievements.
Who claims the figures stated are wrong? Proof? Evidence?
Why does it matter millions of people saw it a day later? Would you have expected for them to stay up until the early morning hours to see the live broadcast?
Or take a day off from work to see it live in the afternoon local time?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Brilliant! Let's have it on Blu-ray DVD...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:48 pm

It was not exciting for me at all. The build up to watching it might have been, I don't remember. I think I had the album first and was disappointed at how bland it all was. Compared to one of his movies, it would be the "Clambake" of his concerts.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:42 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:It was not exciting for me at all. The build up to watching it might have been, I don't remember. I think I had the album first and was disappointed at how bland it all was. Compared to one of his movies, it would be the "Clambake" of his concerts.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from but ... maybe it's the 'Clambake' of his professionally filmed concerts (or more likely that's EIC).

It surely doesn't even come within 100 yards of the 'Clambake' of his concerts.

Oh, that he had continued the 'Aloha' quality over the next four years ...

'Aloha' is more like the 'Blue Hawaii' of his concerts, actually: professional and competent, ocassionally inspired.

Then he tried to copy it for the rest of the decade with ever decreasing returns artistically.
Last edited by George Smith on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:52 pm

The first time i watched this my Dad had taped it from the tv, terrible picture. when I saw it for the first time on dvd I was blown away to see him so clear, looking and sounding amazing.

Although I have the dvd, I have this saved on my sky + and I watch it all the time.....