Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:44 pm

hi

What were your thoughts when you watched Aloha for the 1st time ?

Go !

Re: What were your thoughts when you first watched Aloha ?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:03 pm

i was a bit dissapointed that he didn't move that much anymore....

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:07 pm

let' s not talk much of the songs here for a change

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:08 pm

I was a new Elvis fan at the time when I watched both Aloha & EOT (I know it's not mentioned here) but my first impressions upon watching Aloha From Hawaii were - "WOW!"

I couldn't get enough of watching it and kept renting it at the movie store until I copied it off of the VHS cassette from the store so I could keep it....and I still have it.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

i thought there was a beautiful weather and the hawaiians are a very welcoming community 8)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Kennedy shot... First man on the moon... Elvis does Aloha From Hawaii... The three events where everybody remembers what they were doing and thinking when they happened.

Really? I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Wednesday evening. I didn't have a colour TV set, and so I went to a friend's house (he had a colour TV) to watch it. I'd seen several short TV ads for the special -- taped them on cassette, so at least I had the audio. I was getting more excited all the time. I had already seen ELVIS ON TOUR probably 10 times by this date, and a new concert with Elvis was icing on the cake.

I had already played the album to death before the show -- I bought it vowing not to play it until the show -- but that didn't last long.

I was excited, and hoped some day I would get to see him in person. I remember the screen going snowy for a minute or two during LOVE ME.

The extra four songs not on the album were enjoyable to hear -- but nothing earthshattering.

It was a good night!

Friends talked about the show the next day at high school -- and the major comment was their surprise of BURNING LOVE being performed so early in the show. No one was making fun of Elvis' stagewear, but I got a lot of jabs for liking Elvis Presley.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm

tcb4 wrote:hi

Go !

How great to be able to see Elvis on TV. Had not seen him for a while since his movies were no longer in circulation in the cinema and he was hardly ever on TV here.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:28 pm

tcb4 wrote:hi

Go !

The same as they are every time: a feeling of something special going on, a certain thrill being aware of the whole shebang around that happening, solemn, grandiose, the goosebumps highlights Steamroller Blues, I'm So Lonesome, What Now My Love, An American Trilogy, I'll Remember You (my fav), but also the nagging feeling something was missing, something was holding him back even though he clearly put some thought into it and made the show appropriate for the occasion as he saw it. We all know he was always focused on the public and people's reaction, and I don't think he ever missed that point or ever failed to register what was expected of him. All in all the Aloha show was a professional grandiose display of magic and mastership. Still a WOW !

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Also for fans who did not have the money or desire to fly to the USA it was the first time to see Elvis perform his show!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I didn't see it until the Deluxe DVD came out. I'd seen clips before that.

I was unhappy by the end of it, thinking how stressful and bizarre the thing must have been for Elvis. I felt he looked a little insane, and very unwell. And yet his voice still blew my mind, on What Now, Mountain and others. I still feel really confused about Aloha, is it genius at work, is it a trainwreck, is it a career high or the start of the end, or all of those things? I don't know. Longer-term Elvis fans please feel free to tell me which one it is!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:05 pm

It's unfair for any fan to criticize or complain about the Aloha performance. Elvis was under extreme pressures that to this very day no other entertainer could have pulled off such a feat. For thing, he had just filed for divorce from Priscilla just days before. He turned 38 which was not old but not young in the pop music world. And he was about to become the first entertainer to go live world wide with a musical solo event in television history. Not to mention that an estimated audience was to be about 1.5 billion eyes all on his every move and ears on his every note. That is why he was so tight and nervous throughout both shows. As they went on, he began to relax and unwind.

Also the reason for him not doing much movement during the special was more to do with the producers asking him not to so that the camera guys could follow him better. There were marks on stage for him to stand in certain places while singing certain songs. If you'll notice during the Suspicious Minds middle segment when he goes into the arm spinning that the lighting starts well after he has begun his little dance. Even they had a hard time keeping up with what he was doing. No other entertainer did that so they were'nt prepared for it. So had Elvis have been doing his usual Vegas show of bumping and grinding during the Aloha show it would have been a complete mess to try and watch. The reason it worked for MGM when filming was because their staff was trained for such an event and they had multiple shows to get it right. NBC/Telesat didn't have the time nor the proper training for an Elvis show which is why it was "watered down" and "made for tv", so to speak.

Elvis was also asked by RCA to do a show of new material for the soundtrack to be promoted since the Garden album was fresh on the market at the time, released just 6 months prior to the event.

Let me also add that Elvis looked amazingly young during that special. And no makeup was needed.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:10 pm

King Volcano wrote:I didn't see it until the Deluxe DVD came out. I'd seen clips before that.

I was unhappy by the end of it, thinking how stressful and bizarre the thing must have been for Elvis. I felt he looked a little insane, and very unwell. And yet his voice still blew my mind, on What Now, Mountain and others. I still feel really confused about Aloha, is it genius at work, is it a trainwreck, is it a career high or the start of the end, or all of those things? I don't know. Longer-term Elvis fans please feel free to tell me which one it is!

Go back, watch Aloha From Hawaii, take in his incredible appearance and then watch Elvis In Concert from 1977 and be prepared to be traumatized. Then you'll appreciate the Aloha show much more.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 pm

I was mesmerized by the Aloha. Understanding the pressure EP was under for various reasons as far as the show went, makes me appreciate his performance even more!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm verry sorry, but a lot of Aloha Tv special songs were also in the Elvis on tour documentary and with better versions. And the country covers---I was dissapointed from songs such "It's Over", "I.m so Lonesome I could cry'', "Welcome to my World", "My Way", the throways of the 50's songs (:"Blue Suede Shoes", "Hound Dog", "Love Me"), the mediocre "Suspicious Minds" and the subpar "Something". The Highlights:

:Burning love, Trilogy, i'll remember you. Why Elvis did not perform his super hits from the 60's like "It's Now or Never", "Return to Sender", "Devil in Disguise", "Crying in the Chapel", "Love Letters", "Good Luck Charm", "I Feel so Bad", "Little Sister", "His latest Flame", just to name a few songs of his own catalogue. Instead he sang covers of Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Perry Como, some reviewers wrote that Elvis wanted to do some contemporary ballad songs for the new audiences. There are all schmaltz and it's tragic to see Elvis at 38 singing like Sinatra at 58. Marty Passeta contributed to this, his idea to rerecord 4 songs from Blue Hawaii was abysmal. Steve Binder may have wondered that night how far Elvis was fallen

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 pm

in the Rock field - He played ta many fans in Usa and this concert was for fans who couldnt attend the show either on Jan 12thb] I was really surprised ta see how Great he looked aftr his Tours from late '72 - he looked great and he wowed his fans worldwide - After all when this was broadcasted worldwide over 1 billion people watched it -More than the moonlandings -

I personally consider this show to pinnacle Elvis status as a rock /pop star - he was awesome during his appearance on Jan 14th when it was transmitted worldwide - He was the only star who bought his own ticket for show for the cause -Kui-Lee Cancer Drive -

Now I cant think of any star achievin this status ta date and defining Music history -

The show defined Elvis status or 14th 1973 -

So once again I Consider the show one of the very best shows Elvis gave -

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 pm

The first time I saw it, I thought it was great.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Over here, we didn't have the live broadcast, so it took time before we could see the show here. I actually had the double LP and I wasn't very impressed.
But, when I saw it the first time, it was almost like the first time I saw the NBC special! Ever since it is a matter of watching the show, especiallly the latest DeLuxe edition and the sound to it. I never play the album or the CD anymore. I must admit I love both those shows!
As for live albums, there are so many others!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:08 pm

"Wow! What a cool outfit he's wearing."

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:10 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
King Volcano wrote:I didn't see it until the Deluxe DVD came out. I'd seen clips before that.

Go back, watch Aloha From Hawaii, take in his incredible appearance and then watch Elvis In Concert from 1977 and be prepared to be traumatized. Then you'll appreciate the Aloha show much more.

Aloha is musically and visually like 1968 or 1956 compared to the 1977 TV footage I've seen (about 20 minutes 12 years ago then I had to switch it off). I'm a BIG 70s El fan, but I still think in Aloha he looks disturbed & strange, certainly more so than in all the On Tour movie and 1972 out-takes I have. And aesthetically, his hair looks like spraypainted wire-wool, his skin like leather. I doubt I'll watch all of Aloha or any more of the 1977 material ever again, but I've watched all my On Tour stuff a hundred times :)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 pm

I recall we were all so excited to see it.... and he looked really good....and at the time it was Elvis doing his thing WORLDWIDE.. We never saw him enough to become jaded by it (I'm not sure one could, really) but it came off as very scripted. We'd seen enough real Elvis shows to know that there was no script. Plus the set list was such a radical departure at the time that we were a bit shocked by that.

As for the show itself, the main thing I remember from the event was Suspicious Minds... or the lack thereof, really. We were all like WHAT?!?!?! :lol:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 pm

FrankieRider2 wrote: We'd seen enough real Elvis shows...

:smt022 Where's the 'jealousy' smilie when I need one! Seriously, I'm honored to be on the same piece of the internet as someone who could compare Aloha at the time, to all the EP shows they'd already seen. Respect!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Although sounding great, I thought Elvis had aged musically since the 68 TV special. Here was still a young man at 38 doing 'old' country songs, Sinatra songs, other schmaltz and a boring version of Suspicious Minds to boot. They wanted him to do different songs? He had enough of his own without resorting to What Now My Love. Good grief. 1968 seemed like more than 5 years ago that night.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 pm

To King Volcano -Im Sorry Buddy but I just have ta disagree with ya comments about Elvis hair looks like its sprayed like wirewool and he had leather type skin - -
Please reconsider ya viewpoints on this show buddy - Surely yu gotta credit Elvis for a great performance and status on this show asa mega star - Cmon buddy - pl. reconsider - ok - think of it -

Elvis surely looked great and sang well on this show with his Eagle suit - he looked trim for the time- In 72 he put on and lost weight - Before he did Aloha - he underwent a strict diet and lost many pounds before the show date - etc -

Please remember that Elvis was touring during 1970's and was challenged to play to the world - at 1 Time - via satellite - surely he was tired and he took the challenge and achieved his goal to worldwide audiences - who couldnt attend concerts -

Surely yu can agree with me and many fans that he was a great humanitarian - who sacrificed many pleasures - during his life as a boy /man -

I personally feel and believe that Aloha Show defined his popularity amongst fans and this broadcast was the very first time any concert from a Super star was transmitted worldwide at one time -

Yes I agree with you that EOT was good - ok - But please remember my friend that Elvis was World wide megastar who achieved many of his goals and challenges - He Rocks My ( Our) World - TCE4Ever -

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Honestly I don`t remember how I felt when I first watched Aloha :? .....I was only 11 at the time, and it was on TV late at night....I was tired and thought he`d never come on stage......all that INTRO stuff :lol: , so actually I don`t remember seeing the concert.....think I fell asleep. :oops:

But I do remember when I bought the Aloha DVD and watched it, I was blown away 8) :smt007

In a short time I had bought and seen the 68 special, TTWII and EOT and thought they where GREAT......really,really great.
After getting the Aloha DVD, it would be my favorite DVD to watch.