Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's "Viva Las Vegas" in monaural - unfortunately the sound quality isn't too brilliant for I don't have the most expensive equipment to rip.
And it's been taken from the "Elvis In Demand" album (where it's the final track on Side 1, hence the so-called "Last Track Distortion).

08 - Viva Las Vegas (Mono).wav (File size: 12 MB)
http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/21317646/file.html

This mono mix posting remixed to stereo here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65940#p979953
Last edited by MSpock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm

MSpock. I like your avatar. Is this your creation or is that CD a boot? It would be a GREAT Sony release idea!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm

skatterbrane wrote:MSpock. I like your avatar. Is this your creation or is that CD a boot? It would be a GREAT Sony release idea!

It's my creation. It has all mono mixes on these 3 albums remixed to stereo including the mono masters
from Follow That Dream.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:43 pm

mrbthebarber wrote:Interesting question and one, being a big vinyl collector I too have asked myself. I read somewhere recently, I can't remember where as I do a lot of reading, but I read of a conversation between Elvis and another entertainer ( TJ or EH perhaps ) where Elvis told them he preferred mono to stereo cos Mono just "hits you hard right in the chest" or something similar. I didn't get it as one of my first LPs was E I B in stereo, on vinyl and it's clarity and the drums going from speaker to speaker astounded me and I have been a stereo nut since ( aside from 50s stuff in Mono ) UNTIL just the other day I decided to give FEIM Legacy a spin for it's mono masters.

I played all of disc 2 at a reasonably loud level whilst reading, enjoying it thoroughly though as always wishing those sessions had a bit more fullness of sound ( for want of a better term when compared to E I B ) and then on came In The Ghetto Mono and BANG ............. it hit me "in the chest" !!!! The fullness of sound was so striking in those opening bars. I sat up, put the book down and took notice of mono for the first time in a long time. Some of the mixes sound quite different, one seemed to last longer ( I made no notes ) but all seemed to have more punch if you like ................... although I have to confess I still miss hearing different instruments from different speaker, I finally got what I think Elvis liked about Mono.

Exactly. For me, I am so happy they included the mono mixes of the singles of disc 2 of FEIM Legacy. Kentucky Rain shines in mono and sounds just as I first heard it on my parents' 8-track of Pure Gold. If you play the stereo version on the CM box, you'll notice the ending sounds different with counter melody strings high in the mix and actually fading out earlier than the mono mix.
Last edited by Mike C on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Here is Kentucky Rain from a vinyl source.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/99319003/file.html

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm

HI there!! :D :D :D.

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Mono mixes were made for nearly every Elvis single through 1971 (even songs like Frankie and Johnny which were fold downs on LP were dedicated mixes on 45) and as promos for radio stations through 1975. They are often quite different with the later promos such as "Always On My Mind" sounding particularly interesting. Mono is no less legit than stereo and as the recent FTD books issuing mono masters make clear, Elvis like, Brian Wilson, Phill Spector, John Lennon, and many others who did dual mixes in the sixties and into the seventies prefered it. If you want to hear Elvis' sixties hits properly mono is the way to go. The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono. Honestly if you only hear sixties music in stereo you are missing out big time. Elvis' early sixties stereo mixes were unusually good for their period, but that in no way negates the importance of the mono format.

Wasn't aware of the dedicated mono mixes of songs like Frankie and Johnny appearing on 45. Interesting information.
Does anyone have any samples?

What would be really cool is a verified list of every single dedicated mono mix known to exist.

Yes please, can anybody post a list of Elvis' single dedicated mono mixes?. Thanks! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?

Because those were the ones that sold millions, and it is very interesting to listen what made the hits ..hits.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Matthew wrote:
George Smith wrote:On the same soundtrack, the introduction to 'Viva Las Vegas' lacks any punch or sense of power when really it should come soaring out of the speakers.

Which is especially worrying since this song never had an original stereo mix. The modern mix to stereo is indeed lacking, one because of the too high vocal and too quiet backing, but also because quite obviously all three tracks aren't switch on for the intro. You can hear the backing vocal track being turned just before Elvis start to sing, noticeable by the faint band bleed-through into that channel fading up. Poor work. This is a soundtrack I'd appreciate a mono CD edition of.

That's what is called "gating". It was/is done on multi track tape (when mixing) to "clean up" the unnecessary noise,tape hiss and even breathing from open mikes. It really helps when done properly, especially if many tracks are involved when the unwanted noise can add up very fast.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:28 am

Juan Luis wrote:That's what is called "gating". It was/is done on multi track tape (when mixing) to "clean up" the unnecessary noise,tape hiss and even breathing from open mikes. It really helps when done properly, especially if many tracks are involved when the unwanted noise can add up very fast.

Sure, but in the case of the song Viva Las Vegas there is ambient band bleed through on the vocal track(s) that has been robbed from the stereo mix on the intro and outro of the song. Had this been mixed into stereo in 1963, all tracks would be on from the start judging by other soundtrack recordings from the period.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 am

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:That's what is called "gating". It was/is done on multi track tape (when mixing) to "clean up" the unnecessary noise,tape hiss and even breathing from open mikes. It really helps when done properly, especially if many tracks are involved when the unwanted noise can add up very fast.

Sure, but in the case of the song Viva Las Vegas there is ambient band bleed through on the vocal track(s) that has been robbed from the stereo mix on the intro and outro of the song. Had this been mixed into stereo in 1963, all tracks would be on from the start judging by other soundtrack recordings from the period.

I get you. It is weird. If Elvis sang to a pre recorded mono track the punch in/punch out would not be noticeable. Wild guess. In other words,it could have been recorded that way for mono use only. Hopefully the 3 track has the open mike all the way through the song.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mike Windgren wrote:HI there!! :D :D :D.

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Mono mixes were made for nearly every Elvis single through 1971 (even songs like Frankie and Johnny which were fold downs on LP were dedicated mixes on 45) and as promos for radio stations through 1975. They are often quite different with the later promos such as "Always On My Mind" sounding particularly interesting. Mono is no less legit than stereo and as the recent FTD books issuing mono masters make clear, Elvis like, Brian Wilson, Phill Spector, John Lennon, and many others who did dual mixes in the sixties and into the seventies prefered it. If you want to hear Elvis' sixties hits properly mono is the way to go. The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono. Honestly if you only hear sixties music in stereo you are missing out big time. Elvis' early sixties stereo mixes were unusually good for their period, but that in no way negates the importance of the mono format.

Wasn't aware of the dedicated mono mixes of songs like Frankie and Johnny appearing on 45. Interesting information.

What would be really cool is a verified list of every single dedicated mono mix known to exist.

Yes please, can anybody post a list of Elvis' single dedicated mono mixes?. Thanks! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Still waiting...... In the meantime here is one! 8) . Bye for now :smt006.

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/43704031/file.html

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

elvisalisellers wrote:

Thanks Mike . Listen to the fadeout on your upload very closely, it very strangely has a panning stereo effect at the ending few seconds. I haven't noticed this before, I'll have to check my 45 later to see if it's there also, or just on yours.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:51 pm

promiseland wrote:

elvisalisellers wrote:

Thanks Mike . Listen to the fadeout on your upload very closely, it very strangely has a panning stereo effect at the ending few seconds. I haven't noticed this before, I'll have to check my 45 later to see if it's there also, or just on yours.

Yes you are right promiseland. That sounds weird, never paid attention to that. Thanks! ::rocks. By the way, I uploaded yesterday for you My Little Friend as requested on your topic last week :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I get you. It is weird. If Elvis sang to a pre recorded mono track the punch in/punch out would not be noticeable. Wild guess. In other words,it could have been recorded that way for mono use only. Hopefully the 3 track has the open mike all the way through the song.

A little off-topic but two days ago I listened to the tracks from "Viva Las Vegas" as featured on the "Singer Presents Elvis Singing Flaming Star And Others" ("Night Life", "Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes Of Texas" and "Do The Vega") and they sound really great there. To me the best sounding (stereo) source yet.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:41 pm

promiseland wrote:

elvisalisellers wrote:

Yes you are right promiseland. That sounds weird, never paid attention to that. Thanks! ::rocks. By the way, I uploaded yesterday for you My Little Friend as requested on your topic last week :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

That was pretty cool, Mike!

Here's my "tampered" attempt:

Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (Original 45RPM Mono Mix).wav (File size: 11MB)
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/44011326/file.html

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:27 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

promiseland wrote:

elvisalisellers wrote:

That was pretty cool, Mike!

Here's my "tampered" attempt:

Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (Original 45RPM Mono Mix).wav (File size: 11MB)
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/44011326/file.html

Wonderful! ::rocks. I love the great bass sound on this great song, it´s so cool 8). Thanks. Bye or now :smt006.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:36 pm

What would be REALLY cool is if the powers that be would release ALL the dedicated mono mixes together on one set.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 am

JerryNodak wrote:What would be REALLY cool is if the powers that be would release ALL the dedicated mono mixes together on one set.

Exactly. Just like the Beatles Mono Box.

But they'd probably include all 50's masters again on that one... :D :facep: :roll:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 am

It's okay. I'll pay for the '50s singles masters (again) as long as I get all the OTHER dedicated mono singles masters.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

JerryNodak wrote:It's okay. I'll pay for the '50s singles masters (again) as long as I get all the OTHER dedicated mono singles masters.

Not to sound negative again but IF there would be such a box, they'd probably forget about some tracks and would include some mastering errors. :wink: :?

It's been asked before: could somebody come up with a complete list of all dedicated mono masters (not only singles)?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:It's okay. I'll pay for the '50s singles masters (again) as long as I get all the OTHER dedicated mono singles masters.

Not to sound negative again but IF there would be such a box, they'd probably forget about some tracks and would include some mastering errors. :wink: :?

It's been asked before: could somebody come up with a complete list of all dedicated mono masters (not only singles)?

I did ask the same almost 3 weeks ago but no answer :cry:. Still waiting.......Bye for now :smt006.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Maybe no one reading has a list. Why don't you guys put one together? You should be able to build one scanning through elvisrecords.us.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Matthew wrote:Maybe no one reading has a list. Why don't you guys put one together? You should be able to build one scanning through elvisrecords.us.

I don't have a problem in making a list but I don't have the knowledge to say which songs were really recorded in Mono :wink:. On this topic there are some audio experts like you who know more that me so any help is much appreciated ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Matthew wrote:Maybe no one reading has a list. Why don't you guys put one together? You should be able to build one scanning through elvisrecords.us.

That would be a possibility. I think it's not too hard to do. Right now I'm at work so I can't do it.

Out of my head: We don't need the Fifties recordings, as they are all in monaural anyway.
Elvis' final album released in mono was Speedway, correct?
Can't recall what single was the final one released in mono - "Rags To Riches"?

Then we sort out all the stuff recorded at RCA's studios in Hollywood and Nashville (for if I'm not mistaken they're all simple fold-downs) and take the stuff that's been recorded at Radio Recorders, the sound stages (not sure though if they created dedicated mono mixes) and the American Stuff. That should be it. :wink:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm

O.K, now the turn is for the excellent song: Clean Up Your Own Back Yard 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/53133535/file.html