Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?


+ 1.

Jan

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Some people are completists and like having all variations.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Sometimes mono sounds better than stereo (the movie soundtracks are a good example of this).

Also, perhaps most importantly, Elvis often personally approved the mono mixes of his music but not necessarily the stereo mixes.

Some fans like to hear the music as EP intended, I guess.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:18 pm

George Smith wrote:Also, perhaps most importantly, Elvis often personally approved the mono mixes of his music but not necessarily the stereo mixes.

If the Mono version is merely a fold-down of the Stereo, then it really doesn't matter does it? If you own the Stereo version then you already own the Mono version as well. It's not like The Beatles, where Mono and Stereo have identifiable differences.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Some of the movies soundtracks sound much better in mono. Fortunately, I have a mono button on one of my amplifiers. But it makes sense to release mono masters as bonus material and so forth. Elvis is not coming back to record anyting new. We'll have to settle for this kind of material now.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Anyone who knows a little Elvis Presley history and his music making, knows well that Elvis preferred MONO mixes over the ,sometimes and arguably, transparent Stereo counterparts.

There are many examples of this throughout his career.

Also, A big deal about the whole Mono vs. Stereo discussion is many of Elvis' 45rpm singles, 78's, reel to reel, and Lp's from '56-'68, were originally released in Mono and that's how millions of people who bought those records heard them.

The Mono mixes heard on the Legacy 2009 release, "From Elvis In Memphis" are fantastic and essential to any and all Elvis Presley fans.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 pm

minkahed wrote:Anyone who knows a little Elvis Presley history and his music making, knows well that Elvis preferred MONO mixes over the ,sometimes and arguably, transparent Stereo counterparts.

There are many examples of this throughout his career.

Also, A big deal about the whole Mono vs. Stereo discussion is many of Elvis' 45rpm singles, 78's, reel to reel, and Lp's from '56-'68, were originally released in Mono and that's how millions of people who bought those records heard them.

The Mono mixes heard on the Legacy 2009 release, "From Elvis In Memphis" are fantastic and essential to any and all Elvis Presley fans.


The LP's 1960-1968 were also released in stereo.
Because stereo LP's and amplifiers were more expensive than mono especially in 1960-1963/1964, a lot of fans bought the mono version. By then prices for stereo-equipment dropped considerably and people started to buy the stereo LP's, so by 1968 RCA-Victor stopped releasing mono versions of the LP's. And before I get jumped on because there were mono LP's later on, yes, but they were odditites featuring single and EP tracks i.e. mono mixes.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?

janti wrote:+ 1.

If you are referring to Elvis' 1960's - early 1970's recordings, there were some done (I'm not exactly sure which ones) that were released with a designated mono mix. They were not merely fold downs of the stereo versions.

Johnny2523 and janti, do you understand the difference?

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

George Smith wrote:Sometimes mono sounds better than stereo (the movie soundtracks are a good example of this).

Also, perhaps most importantly, Elvis often personally approved the mono mixes of his music but not necessarily the stereo mixes.

Some fans like to hear the music as EP intended, I guess.

It's all a matter of personal choice.


You´re 100% spot on George Smith!!! The most important point of course being the fact that Elvis himself personally approved mono mixes and that these mixes often sound better than the stereo mixes. And besides the matter of personal choice is of course the matter of personal taste. :)

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:13 pm

minkahed wrote:The Mono mixes heard on the Legacy 2009 release, From Elvis In Memphis, are fantastic and essential to any and all Elvis Presley fans.

Those are good examples.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Blue River wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?

janti wrote:+ 1.

If you are referring to Elvis' 1960's - early 1970's recordings, there were some done (I'm not exactly sure which ones) that were released with a designated mono mix. They were not merely fold downs of the stereo versions.

Johnny2523 and janti, do you understand the difference?



I understand the difference. If you collect everything, I suppose mono recordings would be interesting too. And some people prefer mono over stereo, no doubt.

Personally I cannot stand to listen to mono as long as the same songs exist in stereo. That goes for the 1969 material as well.

I have no problems with mono from the fifties, though. :)


Jan

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Elvis' mono mixes are generally not as interesting and essential as Motown or The Beatles in mono because Elvis' stereo mixes sound great for the most part. The mono mixes from the FEIM Legacy Edition are fantastic.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Blue River wrote:
minkahed wrote:The Mono mixes heard on the Legacy 2009 release, From Elvis In Memphis, are fantastic and essential to any and all Elvis Presley fans.

Those are good examples.


they certainly are.............

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Rags To Riches" is one of those recordings released and intended as mono.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm

debtd1 wrote:
Blue River wrote:
minkahed wrote:The Mono mixes heard on the Legacy 2009 release, From Elvis In Memphis, are fantastic and essential to any and all Elvis Presley fans.

Those are good examples.


they certainly are.............


and for those of us of a certain age, also the way we first heard and remember them.

Geoff

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm

The reason I want mono stuff is because i'm tired of getting the same stuff over and over again with the same stereo mixes,at least mono would be something different.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Claus wrote:Elvis' mono mixes are generally not as interesting and essential as Motown or The Beatles in mono because Elvis' stereo mixes sound great for the most part. The mono mixes from the FEIM Legacy Edition are fantastic.

I disagree. The Beatles sound great in stereo as well. For music enthusiasts, hearing great performances in both mono and stereo can be an educational and insightful ride; particularly when there are instances where one presentation represents what the artist actually approved. Elvis' mono mixes clearly serve a purpose.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Could anybody explain,why MONO masters are so interesting?

How about because they are the masters that Elvis Presley approved for release? That's a pretty good reason.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 pm

As I pointed out in another thread, ELVIS IS BACK was a much bigger seller in mono when first released. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68380&start=125#p1017288

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 pm

joshferrell wrote:The reason I want mono stuff is because i'm tired of getting the same stuff over and over again with the same stereo mixes,at least mono would be something different.


A bit like releasing all Elvis' colour films in black and white perhaps? :roll:

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Not at all. The films were photographed for color.

The records were mixed for both mono and stereo release. There is a big difference.

The movie soundtracks greatly benefit from their mono mixes.

Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 am

Only some of Elvis' 60s releases were folds of the 2-track stereo recordings, and even then it's not a matter of just pressing the mono button on your hi-fis the get the same result. Analog compression was applied during the fold-down process. Bill Porter designed his stereo recordings to be mono compatible when folded down. It's not the same as taking multitrack recording, making a 2-track stereo mix. Bill pre-balanced the live stereo recordings so that they could be folded well.

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 am

Matthew wrote:Only some of Elvis' 60s releases were folds of the 2-track stereo recordings, and even then it's not a matter of just pressing the mono button on your hi-fis the get the same result. Analog compression was applied during the fold-down process. Bill Porter designed his stereo recordings to be mono compatible when folded down. It's not the same as taking multitrack recording, making a 2-track stereo mix. Bill pre-balanced the live stereo recordings so that they could be folded well.


A good point Matthew.


norrie

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 pm

George Smith wrote:Sometimes mono sounds better than stereo (the movie soundtracks are a good example of this).

Also, perhaps most importantly, Elvis often personally approved the mono mixes of his music but not necessarily the stereo mixes.

Some fans like to hear the music as EP intended, I guess.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

You're just joking right? :?