Demos for Elvis

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

MysteryTrain
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Demos for Elvis

Post by MysteryTrain »

Strictly from memory, when Elvis (Vince Everett) meets Peggy for the first time in a bar. Peggy is checking the number of plays on the jukebox and comments something to the effect "Crying to the Stars" is number ___ with ___ plays. A guy says "yeah, I'm sick of it."

MT

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

MysteryTrain wrote:Strictly from memory, when Elvis (Vince Everett) meets Peggy for the first time in a bar. Peggy is checking the number of plays on the jukebox and comments something to the effect "Crying to the Stars" is number ___ with ___ plays. A guy says "yeah, I'm sick of it."

MT
good memory there mysterytrain.

What it tells us is that this song was likely going to be played on the soundtrack when she was checking out the jukeboxe. It was never meant to be recorded or performed by Elvis or anybody else on screen. That would be my deduction.

Always Elvis
Anthony

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Post by colonel snow »

Coat of many colors
The song is written by Dolly Parton. The story goes Elvis wanted to recorded the song (around 1972) but Dolly Parton doesn’t want to share (a part of) the publishing rights. The song was never recorded by Elvis.
Dolly Parton recorded the song on 27 april 1971 (RCA 74-0538).

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

colonel snow wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:12 pm
Coat of many colors
The song is written by Dolly Parton. The story goes Elvis wanted to recorded the song (around 1972) but Dolly Parton doesn’t want to share (a part of) the publishing rights. The song was never recorded by Elvis.
Dolly Parton recorded the song on 27 april 1971 (RCA 74-0538).

colonel snow

First of all, this isn't an Elvis demo but a released single that was a country hit for Dolly Parton in December 1971.

Secondly, "the story goes" . . . um, whose story was that? I know the answer, as far as researching this it was me, on this forum.

Be nice if you could have remembered. From what I posted in 2017:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:10 pm
brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The song Elvis wanted to record by Dolly Parton was "Coat of Many Colors" (RCA 74-0538, October 2, 1971), which had a very successful four-month run, making it to #4 on Billboard's "Hot Country Singles" chart for 12-25-1971. But she would not give up a percentage of her publishing, so it did not get slated for Presley's March 1972 session at RCA Hollywood.

How do you know it was that song and not ''I will always love you'' that Elvis wanted to record?
I have heard you say before that Dolly Parton misremembers but why do you say that?

Many reasons support my statement.

1) "Coat of Many Colors" is a perfect fit for Elvis. As noted, it was a hit for Dolly Parton, her biggest since "Joshua" made #1 in early 1971. Presley was set to return to the studio in March 1972, just weeks after "Coat of Many Colors" peaked on the country charts. Dolly was on the RCA label, another important connection.

And hearing her song very likely hit to the core of his deepest sentimental feelings about his mom as it made it to #4 on Christmas Day 1971. This was also Elvis' first Christmas without his wife in the house, as she had moved to Los Angeles with daughter Lisa.

2) The late Marty Lacker said it was "Coat of Many Colors" in Alanna Nash's 1995 book.
The same thing happened in the early seventies with Dolly Parton. Elvis loved her "Coat of Many Colors" He saw her singing it on TV, and he put the word out he would like to record it. Well, when they called Dolly, she said "I'd love for Elvis to do the song, but you're not getting 25 percent of my publishing."

3) The 1974 single of "I Will Always Love You" is -- these days -- the most famous in Dolly's career, so it being the one Elvis wanted makes for a better story, and boosts the song even more.

But . . . if we carefully look at Parton's memories of it from a 1996 interview, several things tell us which song it actually was:

First, Dolly notes "he [Elvis] was here recording" when the request was made. Assuming the interview was done in Nashville, it proves her memory was fallible. Elvis was last known to be in a Nashville studio in June 1971, before either song had even been released.

No, Dolly wasn't "lying" to anyone, she simply misremembered the events from back then. It is not an uncommon situation, dedicated researchers encounter this all the time.

Second, she mentions the request came when she started her "own publishing company." Parton and her uncle, Bill Owens, established Owepar in October 1967, but he sold all of his shares to Dolly in April 1969. The company became all hers. And "Coat of Many Colors" was released by RCA two years later, in 1971.

http://businessprofiles.com/details/owepar-publishing-company/TN-000023500
http://www.rolandnote.com/people/timeline/Bill+Owens

These facts add more to the suggestion that "Coat of Many Colors" was the song Elvis wanted to record.

4) There is nothing about "I Will Always Love You" in the Presley histories to date. Given its massive success in 1992 with Whitney Houston's smash #1 single from the film "The Bodyguard," it seems astonishing no one remembered Presley's attraction to the song way back in 1974. Not a word from anyone connected to Elvis.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Sorry John I’ve “copied” your post on the forum. I’ve not looked back so far in the time.

colonel snow

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

colonel snow wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:13 pm
Little sister and His latest flame
According to an interview with Doc Pomus both songs were written for a recording session with Bobby Vee for Liberty records in june 1961. For one reason or another the songs were not recorded. By intervention of Hill and Range the songs were offered for a recording sessions with Bobby Darin on 19 june 1961. Again both songs were not recorded.
Now the songs were offered to Elvis and he recorded both songs on 26 june 1961.

Scans from His latest flame (first generation demo and final demo) added in a previous post.

colonel snow
Sorry for the delayed response. Bobby recorded Pomus and Shuman's Sorrow Tomorrow on that date, so at least they got one song in there.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

drjohncarpenter

pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:17 am
colonel snow wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:13 pm
Little sister and His latest flame
According to an interview with Doc Pomus both songs were written for a recording session with Bobby Vee for Liberty records in june 1961. For one reason or another the songs were not recorded. By intervention of Hill and Range the songs were offered for a recording sessions with Bobby Darin on 19 june 1961. Again both songs were not recorded.
Now the songs were offered to Elvis and he recorded both songs on 26 june 1961.

Scans from His latest flame (first generation demo and final demo) added in a previous post.

colonel snow

Sorry for the delayed response. Bobby recorded Pomus and Shuman's Sorrow Tomorrow on that date, so at least they got one song in there.

And here we are, exactly 61 years since that Presley session at RCA's "Studio B" in Nashville, and his recordings of "Little Sister" and "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame" remain as perfect today as the moment the masters were created. When he wanted to be, Elvis was still the premiere artist in all of rock 'n' roll.

"Burn"

“When I wrote ‘Little Sister, ” Mort Shuman recalled years later, “I played it in a totally different way. It had a different rhythm. Elvis cut the tempo in half and slowed it down.” The song had a tough edge to it, and as he had with “His Latest Flame” Scotty strapped on the acoustic guitar while Hank Garland took the electric lead. “I remember when they cut ‘Little Sister,’ ” guitarist Harold Bradley recalled, “Hank had to borrow my Fender [Jazz Master] guitar. Hank was contracted to Gibson, but he felt he needed a different sound for that particular record ... He didn’t think the guitars he used were funky enough or had enough throttle.” Funky it was, and Floyd Cramer’s organ only underlined the feeling. Before the first take Bill Porter announced “It’s got a classic in there”; Elvis was on the same wavelength — “Burn!” he said simply when take three took off. Take four was a master — and with that they'd filled the Colonel’s demand for a new single — but Elvis and the group were all so excited they played the song over and over until 7:30 in the morning.

- Elvis Presley: A Life In Music, p. 159

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Cryin' fool

According to an unconfirmed story this demo was sent to Elvis in 1961; however never recorded by Elvis.
Joy Mann recorded a version early 1962 on Columbia 42351.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

The only way to love
According to an internal memo dated 5 march 1964 the title from the movie changed into Girl happy.

There excists a demo version “(That’s) The only way to love” - written by Dolores Fuller & Mark Barkan (Trousdale Music Inc) – copyright 27 august 1964.

Question: Are more rejected versions of this song known?

Later on for Girl happy are 5-6 rejected versions known so it’s likely for “The only way to love” are more demos submitted based on the date of the change.

;

colonel snow

jacob
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by jacob »

colonel snow wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:08 am
Sorry John I’ve “copied” your post on the forum. I’ve not looked back so far in the time.

colonel snow
Colonel Snow-I've just been reading George Kleins book and he says there were muliple demos of Jailhouse Rock,do you have any information on this?

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:47 pm

Colonel Snow-I've just been reading George Kleins book and he says there were muliple demos of Jailhouse Rock,do you have any information on this?
A lot information about demos was posted at the time in “’ Demos for Elvis # 2” on this forum.

By your request a list with rejected / unused versions
A – Don’t be afraid (McCoy – Owens) = not selected
(Recorded: 00-09-57: Sid King & The Five Strings – Columbia 41019).

B – Lonesome blues (Weisman) = not selected

C – Mister Heart-ache (Dick & Bob Sherman) = not selected

D – Oh my you lied (David Hill)

E – Quarters nickels and dimes (Tepper – Bennett) = not selected

F – Sands of time (Leiber – Stoller) = not selected

G – Sweet stuff (Schroeder-Weisman) = not selected

H – That ain’t right (Schroeder – Peoples) = not selected

I – What have ya got to lose (Thomas-Wise)
(Probably replacement for Quarters nickels and dimes or Mr Heart-ache)
(Recorded: 00-09-57: Sid King & The Five Strings – Columbia 41019).

J – Yeah yeah yeah (Leiber – Stoller) = not selected
(Recorded: 00-07-54 Joe Liggens & his Orchestra – Mercury 70440).

K – Young hearts (Tepper-Bennett)
According to the MGM session log from 1 may 1957 the demo was played but the song was not recorded. Track 2018 was errased from the MGM papers.
On 31-05-57 recorded by Jim Reeves (RCA 47-6973).

L – Crying to the stars
In an Inter-Office Memo dated 9 may 1957 is mentioned the song “Crying to the stars” is approved in the script.
No more information known.

colonel snow

jacob

Post by jacob »

Colonel Snow-Thank you.So George Kleins story about there being multiple demos for the song Jailhouse Rock is not true?

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:14 pm
Colonel Snow-Thank you.So George Kleins story about there being multiple demos for the song Jailhouse Rock is not true?
I don't know other (rejected) songs titled "Jailhouse rock" for the movie.

colonel snow

jacob

Post by jacob »

colonel snow wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:32 pm
jacob wrote:
I don't know other (rejected) songs titled "Jailhouse rock" for the movie.

colonel snow
Ok thanks for the reply,it's problay not even true! lol

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Maybe he meant all demos from the song selection from the movie: here's a time line for the song selection:

Suggested songs for the movie: 30 march 1957.

Quarters nickels and dimes (Tepper – Bennett)
Young hearts (Tepper-Bennett) = not used.
One more day (Tepper-Bennett)
Jailhouse rock (Leiber-Stoller)
Mister Heart-ache (Dick & Bob Sherman)
Sands of time (Leiber – Stoller) = not selected
Treat me nice (Leiber-Stoller)
I want to be free (Leiber-Stoller)
Sweet stuff (Schroeder-Weisman) = not selected
Yeah yeah yeah (Leiber – Stoller) = not selected
Lonesome blues (Weisman) = not selected
That ain’t right (Schroeder – Peoples) = not selected
Don’t be afraid (McCoy – Owens) = not selected

Song selection 25-04-57 according to letter for Untitled Presley story (see scan)
Oh my lied
I want to be free
One more day
Treat me nice
Young and beautiful
Quarters nickels and dimes
Mr Heart-ache
Jailhouse rock

29-04-57 according to letter the lyrics for these songs accepted by MPA for Untitled Presley story (see scan)
29-04-57 added song according to letter for Untitled Presley story
Young hearts

Song selection 30-04-57
Quarters nickels and dimes
Young hearts
One more day
Jailhouse rock
Treat me nice
I want to be free
Oh my you lied
Young and beautiful (Silver-Schroeder)
Mr Heart-ache

02-05-57 according to letter “Young hearts” lyrics accepted by MPA for Untitled Presley story

Song selection 03-05-57
Baby I don’t care (Leiber-Stoller)
Don’t leave me now (Schroeder-Weisman)
What have ya got to loose (Thomas-Wise)

07-05-57 added song according to letter for Jailhouse rock
What have ya got to loose

08-05-57 according to letter “What have ya got to loose” lyrics accepted by MPA for Jailhouse rock

09-05-57 added songs according to letter for Jailhouse rock
(You’re so square) Baby I don’t care
Don’t leave me now

10-05-57 according to letter “(You’re so square) Baby I don’t care & Don’t leave me now” lyrics accepted by MPA for Jailhouse rock

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

See previous post with the last songs added::
09-05-57 – letter to censor with songs for Jailhouse rock
(You’re so square) Baby I don’t care
Don’t leave me now

10-05-57 according to letter “(You’re so square) Baby I don’t care & Don’t leave me now” lyrics accepted by MPA for Jailhouse rock

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Here two lyric cards as sent to the censor (see previous post(s).
These lyric cards are not included in the book Making of Jailhouse rock.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

It’s not a real demo for Elvis but the song was submitted for the movie Girls girls girls

Love and learn (poor scan)
Some information:
track UO – The dissertation of the state of bliss (Love and learn)
The song was recorded on 2 May 1962 by Gilda Maiken for lip-synch in the movie by Stella Stevens (track UTD-1).

The song was written by Ira Gershwin / music by Harold Arlen and registered at ASCAP with performer Patty Andrews.

There’s a version recorded around 1954/1955 by Bing Crosby and Patty Andrews for an album.
There’s a clip on Youtube with Bing Crosby and Jacqueline Fontaine.

colonel snow

drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:

There would be one demo only, from Leiber and Stoller, for "Jailhouse Rock." The title for the project changed more than once, it's likely their submission sealed the deal. As noted, what George Klein was referring to was the number of songs submitted to the MGM project for possible use in the film.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jacob

Post by jacob »

In his book George says Freddy had different demos and Elvis was listening to then and then he played a version witten by Leiber and stoller meaning there was more than one Jailhouse rock demo

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

jacob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:45 pm
In his book George says Freddy had different demos and Elvis was listening to then and then he played a version witten by Leiber and stoller meaning there was more than one Jailhouse rock demo
As stated in previous post(s) there is no proof of other demo versions titled Jailhouse rock.

The script / screenplay was titled at the time “Untitled Presley Story”; on 15 march 1957 changed into Treat me nice. A few other working tites followed before it was finally changed into Jailhouse rock on 8 may 1957.

colonel snow

drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:45 pm

Well, that's not quite what's in the book.

In reading George Klein's memoir, one needs to carefully regard every paragraph. Some may be inaccurate, some may need prior knowledge from other Presley histories, and others may require you to read the whole book to get the entire picture.

You're referring to what is written on page 65-66.

I was over at Audubon Drive a few months later on an April night, just before we were to leave for California, where Elvis would begin work on his next film, still tentatively called Jailhouse Kid. Elvis had a visit that night from Freddy Bienstock, the liaison for the Hill and Range music- publishing company that generally supplied Elvis with the songs he recorded. Freddy had a stack of acetate demo recordings of songs that might be featured in the new film. I later learned that producers would mark Elvis scripts where songs might be included, and the scripts were then sent to a number of songwriters who would try to come up with something that fit the scenes and worked for Elvis. Freddy had demos of several different versions of what would be the movie’s most energetic rock 'n' roll tune, "Jailhouse Rock."

I sat with Elvis as he played the demos on his record player, and while he nodded along to the first couple, nothing really grabbed him. Then he played a demo of a version that had been written by Mike Stoller and Jerry Leiber, two of the hottest young songwriters out there. Even as a demo, the song knocked us out.

- Elvis: My Best Man, p. 65-66

The key line here is "a number of songwriters who would try to come up with something." They were all submitting potential title songs. The film went through many potential names, including "The Hard Way," "Jailhouse Kid" and "Treat Me Nice."

Another key is what Klein writes a few pages later.

The first thing to be worked on was the theme song Leiber and Stoller had come up with, “Jailhouse Rock.” The movie to be made was still being called Jailhouse Kid, to distinguish it from some of the quickie rock’ roll films that were being cranked out at the time: Rock, Pretty Baby; Don’t Knock the Rock; Rock, Rock, Rock. But when Elvis ripped into what Leiber and Stoller had written for him, it was clear to everybody at the session, and quickly clear to everybody at MGM, that this song was one of Elvis’s finest performances and destined to be his next number-one hit. (It was.) So, after one day’s work, Jailhouse Kid was out and Jailhouse Rock was in. I got goosebumps watching the way Elvis threw himself into the song, and I felt that a rock’ roll song just couldn't be packed with more energy and excitement than what Elvis put into that one.

- Elvis: My Best Man, p. 71

Here we see that there was one, and only one, song called "Jailhouse Rock," and it was composed by Jerry and Mike. You won't likely find demos of another one written by someone else. But you might find one called "Jailhouse Kid."

Not so sure that the film name change suddenly happened after the first soundtrack session, though. This is why you need to be careful with George's book.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Thanks John for the additional information

According to a letter dated 23-03-57 MGM suggested
- Don’t push me too far
- Trouble is my name
- Never give up
- The hard climb

According to a letter dated 08-04-57 MGM suggested
- Jailhouse Kid

More working titles
- 26-04-57: Treat me nice
- 28-04-57: The hard way
- 29-04-57: Untitled Presley story
- 30-04-57: Treat me nice
- 01-05-57: The rock
- 02-05-57: Treat me nice
and finally changed on 8 may 1957 into Jailhouse rock

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

According to an interview around 2011 with songwriter Randy Starr he submitted the next demos for the movie Clambake:
Handle with care – Better and better – Let her go – You can do it.
No more information known. All these versions were rejected.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

A little touch of home (Wayne-Weisman)
The song is known with re-written lyrics / same tune as There’s so much world to see for the movie Double trouble. The demo version is sung by P J Proby.
(source Kevan Budd)

It’s a pity a lot of information about demos for this movie is missing like:
Royal blues (? ) or Crazy head (?) for scene # 43 & 45 – London night club;
replaced by My baby likes to stay at home (make love to me) (Byers)
but finally replaced by Baby if you’ll give all of your love (Byers)

More rejected demos known?

colonel snow