Unedited Masters - Hollywood To Nashville 1972-1980 (Venus)

Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: Unedited Masters - Hollywood To Nashville 1972-1980 (Ve

Postby Joern » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's 2012, and beggars can't be choosers.

This new Venus release offers several very satisfying recordings in terrific quality, with the highlights mostly deriving from Presley's last great studio session, March 27-29, 1972 at RCA Hollywood. The best cut leads it off, takes 5 (false start) and 6 (master) of "Burning Love." It's really cool to hear how Elvis remains engaged all the way to the outro, well after the official fade, and Felton cutting in with his standard exclamation of how the performance is " a gas." This was the last #1 of Elvis' career, and remains a classic to this day. Wish there could have been more.

Other semi- or completely undubbed/unedited numbers from March 1972 that are worthy include "For The Good Times," "Separate Ways" and "Always On My Mind." Elvis always delivered on a quality song that he believed in, and these are perfect, intimate examples.

Two Graceland tracks that sound good are "Pledging My Love" and "Way Down," which made up the last single released in his lifetime. His voice is deep, and sounds "thick," but he still delivers, and I can still remember hearing "Way Down" blasting out of someone's radio, tuned to a country radio station, in July of 1977. The vocals are dry on these cuts, and it is very cute someone (at Venus?) pushed the legendary barking dog caught on tape at the end of "Way Down" way up in the mix. Woof-woof-woof!

A surprise (as everyone now knows) is hearing the posthumous, 1980 remake of "For Ol' Times Sake." It's a great song, and it's a beautiful piece of work. It's surprising Felton left it off of 1981's Guitar Man. The 1980 re-do of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is also very noteworthy, as Elvis' vocal is to the fore, and far superior to what I remember. It may be one of his best vocal performances from the Graceland sessions, with no flatted or missed notes, a command of the material, and a deep feeling that were all buried in the LP track mix released in 1976.

Overall, this one should find a place in your collection. No one else is doing it like the Venus label these days.

My sentiments exactly. Well written and very much to the point. Thank you.
Joern

Postby luckyjackson1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The 1980 re-do of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is also very noteworthy, as Elvis' vocal is to the fore, and far superior to what I remember. It may be one of his best vocal performances from the Graceland sessions, with no flatted or missed notes, a command of the material, and a deep feeling that were all buried in the LP track mix released in 1976.
Right on, Doc! ::rocks
When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me
luckyjackson1

Postby Deke Rivers II » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 am

I have not been able to keep this out of the cd player. There are so many things about this cd that I like. FTD definitely needs to release uncensored material like Fool and Hey Jude. I loved hearing Hey Jude, something about it made it sound like I was hearing it brand new for the first time. And I have never heard Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall like this before. I love hearing Elvis up front like this. So many 70's masters need to be stripped of overdubs and background singers and bring Elvis fantastic vocals up front! We definitely need an uncensored two cd set from someone to wrap up the overdubs from the 80's (There are quite a bit more left in the vaults). Personally, I'd like to see some new overdubs from the present with current pop/rock bands like Green Day (not country) unless it was someone like the Kentucky Headhunters sound. Even though Elvis had a great country sound, he was the ROCK KING. This is one hit cd. I would recommend this even for the casual fan. I love hearing Unedited/undubbed Masters period. And then for the sake of oddity the ones that were overdubbed and then removed like Always on My Mind, which works wonderfully for me but not quite so much on It's a Matter Of Time. By the way, Another cd that I have been playing a lot the 2nd cd from the Pure Elvis FTD.
Deke Rivers II

Postby flamingstar81 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Joern wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's 2012, and beggars can't be choosers.

This new Venus release offers several very satisfying recordings in terrific quality, with the highlights mostly deriving from Presley's last great studio session, March 27-29, 1972 at RCA Hollywood. The best cut leads it off, takes 5 (false start) and 6 (master) of "Burning Love." It's really cool to hear how Elvis remains engaged all the way to the outro, well after the official fade, and Felton cutting in with his standard exclamation of how the performance is " a gas." This was the last #1 of Elvis' career, and remains a classic to this day. Wish there could have been more.

Other semi- or completely undubbed/unedited numbers from March 1972 that are worthy include "For The Good Times," "Separate Ways" and "Always On My Mind." Elvis always delivered on a quality song that he believed in, and these are perfect, intimate examples.

Two Graceland tracks that sound good are "Pledging My Love" and "Way Down," which made up the last single released in his lifetime. His voice is deep, and sounds "thick," but he still delivers, and I can still remember hearing "Way Down" blasting out of someone's radio, tuned to a country radio station, in July of 1977. The vocals are dry on these cuts, and it is very cute someone (at Venus?) pushed the legendary barking dog caught on tape at the end of "Way Down" way up in the mix. Woof-woof-woof!

A surprise (as everyone now knows) is hearing the posthumous, 1980 remake of "For Ol' Times Sake." It's a great song, and it's a beautiful piece of work. It's surprising Felton left it off of 1981's Guitar Man. The 1980 re-do of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is also very noteworthy, as Elvis' vocal is to the fore, and far superior to what I remember. It may be one of his best vocal performances from the Graceland sessions, with no flatted or missed notes, a command of the material, and a deep feeling that were all buried in the LP track mix released in 1976.

Overall, this one should find a place in your collection. No one else is doing it like the Venus label these days.

My sentiments exactly. Well written and very much to the point. Thank you.

I agree, good review Doc, thanks ::rocks
"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live upto an image, i'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference on June 9th 1972.
flamingstar81

Postby TCK_KING » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:here's Take 1 of "Fool" with a sort of "fixed" but faded ending (not too well done, just in a hurry):
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/36569163/file.html

Can you please post the same version again but not faded?
TCK_KING

Postby TheCoolKing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 pm

TCK_KING wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:here's Take 1 of "Fool" with a sort of "fixed" but faded ending (not too well done, just in a hurry):

Why? It's not faded on the Cd. Buy one.
TheCoolKing

Postby TCK_KING » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 pm

TheCoolKing wrote:
TCK_KING wrote:

Why? It's not faded on the Cd. Buy one.

I have the cd but he made a nice edit without the sound go off for a second close to the end.
TCK_KING

Postby luckyjackson1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 pm

TCK_KING wrote:

I'm sorry, TCK_KING, unfortunately I saved the file that way and right now I haven't planned to do the splicing job again.
When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me
luckyjackson1

Postby TCK_KING » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:50 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
TCK_KING wrote:

I'm sorry, TCK_KING, unfortunately I saved the file that way and right now I haven't planned to do the splicing job again.

Ok....had to ask :)
TCK_KING

Postby Johnny 99 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 am

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

What I'm listening to http://www.last.fm/user/paulie2703

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

Johnny 99

Postby elvisjock » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 am

I love how the drums are way up in the mix on Moody Blue. "Disco Elvis."

The CD has been in heavy rotation in the car for the past few weeks.
ELVIS ONLY, free radio's syndicated all-Elvis Hour, now in it's 26th year.
Station list and streaming links at http://www.elvisonly.com
Fan page at http://www.elvisonly.com/facebook

(Yes, I took that blurry avatar photo, from my seat at Providence Civic Center, 5/23/77)

"Wait a minute, baby. This can get out of hand."
elvisjock

Postby paulsweeney » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 am

Just got this today. It will be played many times. Doc summed up this great CD perfectly!
Take care,

Paul
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ntral.html
http://www.elvicities.com/~paulsweeney/
http://www.elvisfiles.no/Elvisfiles.html

Ernst Jorgensen, Paul Sweeney & Roger Semon in Memphis, TN August 16, 2012 (we all got the morning memo...wear a white shirt)
paulsweeney

Postby stevelecher » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Just got this and I think it's a bit overrated here. I don't expect to listen to it many times. There's really not much new here and I don't care for the 1980 remixes.

I'm not knocking it. It's just not that exciting to me.
stevelecher

Postby JimmyCool » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:19 am

I don't think it's a dog barking at the end of "Way Down," sounds more like someone making a "woo-woo" sound to me.
Elvis, Rey del Rock - Official Elvis Presley Fan Club in Chile:

"I'm Just A Red-Blooded Boy And I Can't Stop Thinkin' About Girls! Girls! Girls!"
JimmyCool

Postby ranskal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 am

JimmyCool wrote:I don't think it's a dog barking at the end of "Way Down," sounds more like someone making a "woo-woo" sound to me.

I agree
"He will always be the King, no matter what." - Lady from Elvis in Concert
ranskal

Postby Ciscoking » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 am

Perhaps it`s the Orange Blossom Special running through..woo..woo.... :lol:
Ciscokings' Corner @ Jordans' Elvis World
Constantly up to date live section ! The best !

Imagesupported by Ciscoking

Image supported by Ciscoking

Image supported by Ciscoking
Ciscoking

Postby Deke Rivers II » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

stevelecher wrote:Just got this and I think it's a bit overrated here. I don't expect to listen to it many times. There's really not much new here and I don't care for the 1980 remixes.

I'm not knocking it. It's just not that exciting to me.

when you tire of it; just mail it to me. :-)
Deke Rivers II

Postby elvisjock » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 pm

ranskal wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:I don't think it's a dog barking at the end of "Way Down," sounds more like someone making a "woo-woo" sound to me.

I agree

I also thought it was non-canine.
ELVIS ONLY, free radio's syndicated all-Elvis Hour, now in it's 26th year.
Station list and streaming links at http://www.elvisonly.com
Fan page at http://www.elvisonly.com/facebook

(Yes, I took that blurry avatar photo, from my seat at Providence Civic Center, 5/23/77)

"Wait a minute, baby. This can get out of hand."
elvisjock

Postby walkamileinmyshoes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 pm

One of the best (boot) releases recently ... although I have almost 50 newer boots (mostly audience recordings) lying around that I should hear sometime, this one's playing on constant repeat. smt126
walkamileinmyshoes

Postby Blue River » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Gunter wrote:'For Ol' Times Sake' (KWA5 8238 1980 re-recording) that's supposed to feature Tony Joe White on harmonica and harmony vocals right? That would be neat!

Its indeed the version with Tony Joe White and its breathtaking.

Is Tony Joe White's harmonica playing up in the mix on this release?

I love the harmonica playing that Charlie McCoy did on many of Elvis' recordings from 1965 - '71.
~~Blue River~~
Keeping it real.
Blue River
Banned
Banned

Postby elvisalisellers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Blue River wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Gunter wrote:'For Ol' Times Sake' (KWA5 8238 1980 re-recording) that's supposed to feature Tony Joe White on harmonica and harmony vocals right? That would be neat!

Its indeed the version with Tony Joe White and its breathtaking.

Is Tony Joe White's harmonica playing up in the mix on this release?

I love the harmonica playing that Charlie McCoy did on many of Elvis' recordings from 1965 - '71.

"luckyjackson1" uploaded it a few weeks back.

http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/48913214/file.html
'Elvis Presley? He's God' - Madonna Ciccone

elvisalisellers
G.O.A.T.

elvisalisellers

Postby Mike Eder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

Nice CD-I have been very impressed with Venus so far. Too bad Moody Blue has a touch of noise inhearent but you can only pick it up on headphones. Boy would these make a great series of two LP sets!
Mike Eder
Mike Eder

Postby stevelecher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:34 am

KingElvis wrote:Taken from :

http://www.theelvisforum.com/elvis-today-f3.html

Great track info by Keith Flynn ....always a joy to read his comments regarding new releases.

http://keithflynn.com/

I’ve just finished listening to the new Venus release – “Unedited Masters – Hollywood To Nashville 1972-1980” and what a treat it is! Continuing the same theme as their last releases this contains some overdubbed and undubbed masters in exceptional sound quality, which were either edited or faded for their official releases but are heard here for the first time in their entirety. Six tracks from March 1972 start, then in no sort of order we get tracks from 1975, 1976 and 1980.

Here’s a quick track-by-track rundown:-

First up is takes 5 and 6 of ‘Burning Love’. Take 5 is only a short false start with no Elvis involvement so it’s no surprise that it wasn’t included on FTD’s “Standing Room Only”. Take 6 contains the count-in but also contains later overdubs too, as the overdubbed cowbell and additional guitar overdub can be clearly heard. The song runs through for another twenty seconds or so to the end and isn’t faded like the released master, finishing with Felton Jarvis proclaiming “That’s a gas… let’s listen to it”.

Next is what is listed as the undubbed master of ‘For The Good Times’ although it contains Elvis’ own Harmony vocal overdub, so it isn’t purely undubbed. Previously only available from an acetate source, here it comes from a tape source in fantastic quality. Great to hear.

Take 1 of ‘Fool’ appeared on FTD’s “Standing Room Only” but it was faded on there. We can now hear why it was faded as it runs completely to the end on here. Elvis does a very emotional and powerful rendition of the song almost perfectly and then finishes with “Fool, you could have made her want you… Fool, you could have made her blow you…” right out of the blue! Little things like this reveal the real Elvis at that time, always the joker.

I’ve always loved the overdubbed master of ‘Always On My Mind’ containing overdubbed brass and strings, since I first heard it on RCA’s “Always On My Mind” album in the eighties. Here it’s presented unedited and in a different mix which contains the piano intro that was mixed out of the RCA release. We’ve had this same mix from an acetate source before, but here it comes from a tape source in great sound quality. The original released master of “Always On My Mind” had these overdubs removed before release in 1972.

Next we have the overdubbed master of “It’s A Matter Of Time” released for the first time from a tape source, where previously it was released from an acetate source. As with “Always On My Mind”, the original released master of “It’s A Matter Of Time” had these overdubs removed before release. It’s nice to hear this but I can see why the overdubs were removed before release.

The unedited overdubbed master of ‘Fool’ is next. We’ve had this from an acetate source for years although it was faded early. More recently we had it from a tape source on the CD that came with the “Live Live Live Volume 2” bootleg DVD, but again it was faded early. Here we have it with count-in and running through to the end with Felton saying “Good, good, let’s listen to it… very good”. Again, the sound is better than we’ve had before too.

The undubbed master of ‘Always On My Mind’ is next and sounds fantastic. This was first released on “Pure Diamonds Volume 4” where it always sounded rather “Tinny” where here it sounds fuller and punchier and has a slightly different mix.

This wraps up the 1972 tracks for now until the last track of the CD ‘Where Do I Go From Here’, and I was saddened by the fact that the brass and string overdubbed version of ‘Separate Ways’ wasn’t included, but this must not exist on tape, only on acetate. In my opinion the overdubs really bring that song to life, making it sound completely different, and not in a bad way.

Now we come to the first of the 1980 re-recordings that were done as part of sessions for the “Guitar Man” album. I’ve never really been a big fan of these recordings personally but it’s still nice to hear tracks laid down for the album that were not used, and have remained unreleased until now.

‘For Ol’ Times Sake’ is the first new unreleased recording from these sessions and it is a joy to hear. The press release states that it is will give you goose-bumps and wet eyes, and that it shows that Felton Jarvis was a genius at times. Well I don’t know about that but it is eerie listening to it as you’re hearing a brand new version of the song, and although as already stated, I’m not a fan of these re-recordings, this is a real sure-fire winner, and why it wasn’t included on the “Guitar Man” album originally or later on FTD’s “Too Much Monkey Business” is a mystery indeed. The harmonica is an excellent touch by Tony Joe White, although I cannot hear any backup vocals by him, so this must be the original re-recording from January 28 1980 and not the finished overdubbed master. I have heard it said that this track was to be used on FTD's "Too Much Monkey Business" but the tape was damaged, but perhaps it's the overdubbed master that is damaged.

The 1980 re-recording of ‘Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall’ is next and again it’s completely different to the original master, although not as good as the previous track. Still nice to hear, as it’s unreleased until now.

Back to 1976, I suspect we should have got the next track on the Venus release “Welcome To The Jungle – The Last Farewell” but for some strange reason it wasn’t there, and it first appeared on the CD that came with the “Live Live Live Volume 2” bootleg DVD. What is listed as being the unedited undubbed master of ‘The Last Farewell’ we get the short false start of Take 4 then Take 5 spliced with the ending from Take 3, which is the spliced undubbed master. For the life of me I cannot detect any difference to the “Live Live Live Volume 2” version, although it could be louder!

Next is what is listed as the unedited master of ‘Way Down’. This has the count-in then a different mix to the master than heard previously, and finishes the ending with the infamous “Dog Bark” brought up into the mix. Very clever!

We get the unedited undubbed master of ‘Pledging My Love’ next although it doesn’t mention the fact that it’s undubbed. We first got this on FTD’s “Jungle Room Sessions” and later we got it with additional dialogue on a previous Venus release “Welcome To The Jungle – Way Down”. Here we get that again in what appears to be a better source and slightly different mix.

Next up is the unedited undubbed master of ‘She Thinks I Still Care’ which first appeared on the CD that came with the “Live Live Live Volume 2” bootleg DVD. Again, I cannot detect any difference to the “Live Live Live Volume 2” version, although I could be wrong.

As with the previous track I cannot detect any differences with the unedited overdubbed master of ‘Moody Blue’ as released on the CD that came with the “Live Live Live Volume 2” bootleg DVD, but they do sit nicely on this “Unedited Masters” series from Venus.

Back again to the 1980 re-recordings and now we get ‘Hey Jude’. This originally didn’t make the line-up for the “Guitar Man” album, although we did get it eventually on FTD’s “Too Much Monkey Business”. Here we get it unedited, running on for almost another minute taking the running time to just short of five minutes!

Next is the re-recording of ‘She Thinks I Still Care’ from October 1980, which uses the vocals from Take 2b of the song rather than the original master vocals. This was used on the original “Guitar Man” album, but here it’s unedited and runs on for a further minute longer than the original faded version, and includes the “Son of a bitch” ending. Another song that works really well being a re-recording.

Back to 1975 - We had the unedited overdubbed master of ‘Fairytale’ on a previous Venus release “Christmas Today” but now it’s apparent that here we have a much better source and it definitely sounds different now with much better clarity on Elvis’ voice and all instruments.

Back to 1972 now. We got the undubbed master of ‘Where Do I Go From Here’ on FTD’s “Standing Room Only” where it also contained the take count-in, but here it’s presented without count-in and in a different mix which really packs a punch. Excellent sound quality again.

All in all, another winner from Venus, although the layout of the tracks could have resulted in a better listening pleasure, rather than jumping from 1972 to 1980 and then back and forth, but that’s only a minor complaint.

With everything Venus have brought us so far I cannot imagine what they will bring us next – Is there anything left?

Just listened to this last night and I have to report that the "undubbed, unedited master" of Always On My Mind is not the master at all. It sounds like it is take 3 from the FTD of Standing Room Only. The vocal is nothing like the master. Missed this the first time I played it but listening last night, I just knew it didn't sound right.
stevelecher

Postby steve in SC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:There is something wrong with that photo!

It looks like... Orion?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Orion was what I was thinking!
steve in SC

Postby A. C. van Kuijk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 am

Orion changed his name again and now calls himself Venus. On all releases of this so called label you obviously hear Jimmy Ellis' voice. Too bad that some of you spent all your money on these releases, but I know for sure that not a single note on these CDs is sung by Elvis. As Ciscoking would say it: C-R-A-P! :mrgreen:
A. C. van Kuijk

PreviousNext

Return to All Elvis