Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Aloha Legacy Edition?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Has anybody heard anything about sony doing a 40th anniversary legacy edition of Aloha?
Along the lines of the upcoming MSG 2 CD release? Maybe an FTD release.

Re: Aloha Legacy Edition?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:11 pm

After the Aloha DVD set was released several years ago, I don't care if anything else ever comes out.

We've got it all and I would not look forward to a Legacy or FTD release.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Aloha will definately be represented in some fashion, probably include the rehearsal concert in a 2xcd legacy edition. Expect it in the first quarter of the new year!! I would also expect to see some involement from EPE regarding this release, just not sure what yet considering the released deluxe dvd set captures everything.
Last edited by sweetangeline on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

How about a 3 Disc Package, similar to PFAP. Disc one will contain the Jan.12th rehearsal show, Disc two will contain the Jan. 14th show & Disc 3 will be a DVD of the Japanese Broadcast, complete & remastered from the original tapes. The audio discs will be re-mixed from scratch, of course.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm

:D heck lets go all out here then and celebrate the 45th anniversary of 68 comeback and the 40th anniversary of aloha in one deluxe package and include the ann margret special on elvis as the bonus dvd to be released before the 36 anniversary next august, anybody interested?? :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Dixieland Rocks wrote:Has anybody heard anything about sony doing a 40th anniversary legacy edition of Aloha?

Gee... slow down man! The MSG set hasn't even hit the shops yet!!!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:37 pm

don`t be to hard on him, sony just loves the fan anticipation

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:05 pm

sweetangeline wrote:.. deluxe package and include the ann margret special on elvis as the bonus dvd

What's the Ann Margret Special, is Elvis on it? I don't know much about her. I thought I read she just goes on talk shows and goes on about her bond with Elvis. She's quite unknown here in the UK, people obviously know Viva Las Vegas and Tommy the Movie but I don't think the general public have a clue who she is or what her name is.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Aloha was issued as a standard Legacy Edition with both concerts included. It is too big of a title and career highlight not to get some sort of official audio release. Even with the mediocre nature of some of the performances, I would be intrigued to hear a remix by Vic Anesini.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Maybe an "Aloha" Legacy edition will finally include the missing songs and correct the speed.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:30 pm

King Volcano wrote:What's the Ann Margret Special

correct me someone if I`m wrong but it was a 3-hr tv special hosted by her back in 1978 which included the 68 and 73 tv footage, but not all of it

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

correct me someone if I`m wrong but it was a 3-hr tv special hosted by her back in 1978 which included the 68 and 73 tv footage, but not all of it

You're close. It was first seen in 1977, and no footage was omitted, fans actually saw more:

Memories of Elvis was broadcast by NBC-TV on Sunday, November 20, 1977 from 8-11 PM, and rebroadcast one time only, on Tuesday, August 29, 1978.

Screenshot courtesy of FECC member: Greybeard

A stunning yet subdued Ann-Margret was the host.

Ann introduced a previously-unseen 90-minute edit of the 1968 TV Special, and then returned to say a few words before the 1973 "Aloha" program. She also offered a final thought at the end of the evening.

The 90-minute edit, which director Steve Binder claimed was his original cut of the show, before NBC pulled it back to a one-hour slot, was later issued on VHS in 1984 as ELVIS - '68 comeback SPECIAL. It was the first time I saw the 1968 footage, and I was blown away.

Margret did a great job with a very tough assignment, you could tell her emotions were right on the surface.

Apparently, this was the first repeat of "Aloha" since November 1973 (4 years !) and the first look at the 1968 triumph since August 1969 (8 years !!).

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe an "Aloha" Legacy edition will finally include the missing songs and correct the speed.

OK I know someone will ask this so I'll head things off by saying "What songs are missing? and I always thought the speed was correct as it was issued in 1973?"
So for the love of God, no one else ask those questions... it was a joke.

Nice pics of Ann btw... she was smoking hot even in 1977. I do remember the broadcast of that show as it was my first time seeing both the '68 and '73 shows.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:You're close. It was first seen in 1977, and no footage was omitted, fans actually saw more:

thanks John, I was posting it by memory and I`m turning the big 50 next January so it`s never easy to remember things that long ago, thank god I have the internet!! :D Thanks for sharing your knowledge and we just found another elvis item that apparently never made had an official dvd release (the lost performances being the other) with regards to the Ann M. role. Can`t remember if I seen it in `77 or `78 first, oh well, nice pictures!!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

You're close. It was first seen in 1977, and no footage was omitted, fans actually saw more:

Memories of Elvis was broadcast by NBC-TV on Sunday, November 20, 1977 from 8-11 PM, and rebroadcast one time only, on Tuesday, August 29, 1978.

A stunning yet subdued Ann-Margret was the host.

Ann introduced a previously-unseen 90-minute edit of the 1968 TV Special, and then returned to say a few words before the 1973 "Aloha" program. She also offered a final thought at the end of the evening.

The 90-minute edit, which director Steve Binder claimed was his original cut of the show, before NBC pulled it back to a one-hour slot, was later issued on VHS in 1984 as ELVIS - '68 comeback SPECIAL. It was the first time I saw the 1968 footage, and I was blown away.

Margret did a great job with a very tough assignment, you could tell her emotions were right on the surface.

Apparently, this was the first repeat of "Aloha" since November 1973 (4 years !) and the first look at the 1968 triumph since August 1969 (8 years !!).

That's very interesting, thanks. That broadcast must have been incredible for US fans at the time, especially those with one of those early massive home video recorders.

I wouldn't have recognized Ann-Margret from that photo, and I've seen Tommy and VLV several times each.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Aloha goodies from years gone by.
DSCN3377.JPG

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:26 pm

ep
DSCN3383.JPG

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 pm

EP
DSCN3385.JPG

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 pm

EP
DSCN3386.JPG

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 pm

The broadcast was incredible, since the shock of CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert" on October 3 has not worn off, and because so many years had passed since these shows had been seen.

If you see the broadcast, Ann-Margret will be unmistakable. She looks so beautiful.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Dixieland Rocks wrote:Has anybody heard anything about sony doing a 40th anniversary legacy edition of Aloha?

Gee... slow down man! The MSG set hasn't even hit the shops yet!!!

Thank you, elvis-fan!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:23 am

The alternate concert in particular could use a remix, though both shows could benefit. If remixed I would welcome a new package, though the dvd set remains definitive.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The broadcast was incredible, since the shock of CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert" on October 3 has not worn off, and because so many years had passed since these shows had been seen.

If you see the broadcast, Ann-Margret will be unmistakable. She looks so beautiful.

Doc, are you saying you didn't see this in November, 1977? As you said, Aloha was virtually complete and the 1968 Special was expanded. Seeing the longer stand up show and additional sitdown material, along with Let Yourself Go/It Hurts Me, was great.

I can see no chance, nor need, for this to be released on a DVD. It is simply AM hosting the two specials, which have been released in deluxe packages. I would buy a Legacy edition of Aloha if they include a reworked rehearsal show, since I consider the first audio release to be unlistenable.
Last edited by stevelecher on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:06 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The broadcast was incredible, since the shock of CBS-TV's "Elvis in Concert" on October 3 has not worn off, and because so many years had passed since these shows had been seen.

Doc, are you saying you didn't see this in November, 1978? As you said, Aloha was virtually complete and the 1968 Special was expanded. Seeing the longer stand up show and additional sitdown material, along with Let Yourself Go/It Hurts Me, was great.

I can see no chance, nor need, for this to be released on a DVD. It is simply AM hosting the two specials, which have been released in deluxe packages. I would buy a Legacy edition of Aloha if they include a reworked rehearsal show, since I consider the first audio release to be unlistenable.

I watched both the November 1977 and August 1978 screenings.

My reply was to the person who said they didn't recognize Ann-Margret in the screenshots.

A DVD would have been far more valuable if the 90-minute edit of the 1968 Special was unavailable. As it is, it's more desirable for fans of Ann. She is stunning, yet composed, graceful and dignified.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 am

Rob wrote:After the Aloha DVD set was released several years ago, I don't care if anything else ever comes out.

We've got it all and I would not look forward to a Legacy or FTD release.

Agree with Rob, all the way, here. The primary allure of Aloha, to me, is in both its audio and its visuals. That DVD package set was the definitive release as far as I'm concerned.

N8
... always an Aloha fan ....