Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis --> Letting it Bleed in St. Paul, 1956

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:14 am

Elvis opened his May 1956 tour with an afternoon show in St. Paul, Minnesota on May 13, with a second show that evening in Minneapolis. History has shown that most all images from this day are from the evening gig, until now.

It turns out the legendary Bill Ray was in St. Paul and Minneapolis, and he took photos.

Bill Ray was a staff photographer for Life magazine, based in New York, Beverly Hills, and Paris. From these bureaus he traveled the world covering major events, wars, and great personalities.

Since Life's demise, his work appeared in many major publications, such as Smithsonian, Archaeology and Fortune, including 46 Newsweek covers. Bill specializes in portraits of individuals, families and executives in their environment.

http://www.billray.com/
http://life.time.com/culture/photographer-spotlight-bill-rays-classic-celebrity-portraits

Thanks to claude 91 on another topic, this Bill Ray beauty was found:

560513_Minneapolis_Bill Ray.JPG
On stage in Minneapolis, MN - Sunday, May 13, 1956
Photo: Bill Ray, Life magazine photographer on assignment. It appears the Minneapolis Tribune used this shot on June 3 or July 29, 1956.

And here are two from St. Paul!

560513_backstage_St. Paul_Bill Ray.JPG

560513_St. Paul_Bill Ray.JPG

During the St. Paul show, Elvis tossed his guitar in the air and it hit his head, cutting him. So far, we don't have any shots of that.

Ray was also at Elvis' Brooklyn departure for Germany on September 22, 1958:

580922_Brooklyn_Bill Ray.JPG

His amazing portraits from that day were collected with the 1956 St. Paul photos into a book published about two years ago:

111118_Elvis_Bill Ray.JPG
Elvis by Bill Ray
http://www.billray.com/2011/11/18/elvis/

I plan to pick this one up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Letting it Bleed in St. Paul, 1956

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 am

Amazing photo's.Can't recall ever seeing the first one before.Absolutely stunning,captures Elvis perfectly and the detail on the guitar.Wow.

norrie

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks, Doc. Not seen these pix before. Love the two shots on stage! Seeing new pix from the 50's always brightens my day...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Nice find Doc,

That first shot in particular, is just stunning!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 pm

The timing of these photos, plus the 'texture' to them is very similar to the shots taken by Marvin Israel, which can be seen in the book "Elvis Presley 1956".

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 pm

norrie wrote:Amazing photo's.Can't recall ever seeing the first one before.Absolutely stunning,captures Elvis perfectly and the detail on the guitar.Wow.

Thanks, norrie. I noticed the leather cover detail as well. It was designed by Memphis friend, songwriter, engineer and musician Charles Underwood.

Underwood & Co. Guitar Covers | About Us
http://www.guitarcovers.com/aboutus.html

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Actually it wasn't. Underwood designed the one for the 56 J200. This one

which was very similar in design to the one he did for his own Martin

The Martin cover was done by Marcus Van Story in 55 who used to do repairs in the basement of Houcks. Underwood later made similar copies of the cover for sale with any name you wanted on it and when Martin had Underwood do one for a tribute model that went into production a few years ago they charged them a fee the design for each one they had made elsewhere.

This is the one they made for Martin.
Another company was going to make them for Martin's run of guitars but the owner died and the company folded. Utltimately they had the strap people, Levy's, do them. They're actually pressed more than tooled.

I like Bill's pix of the Hells Angels in 65 also. Both books are viewable in their entirety online through that link.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks, Doc. Not seen these pix before. Love the two shots on stage! Seeing new pix from the 50's always brightens my day...

Mine too!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 am

Great post Doc. What a magical time it was back then. Elvis was on top of the world. Those photos show the coolest looking guy that ever walked.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 am

Doc, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks again for your time and hard work! :)

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 am

Thanks Doc, great shots.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 am

AndyDumas wrote:Nice find Doc,

That first shot in particular, is just stunning!

I agree -- you wonder just what in the heck was going on at the moment!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:35 am

http://www.cvtreasures.com/original-vin ... 956-p-2854

Thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 am

davide wrote:http://www.cvtreasures.com/original-vintage-photos-stills-c-158/elvis-presley-vintage-original-photo-live-on-stage-1956-p-2854

Thanks
David

Presley-Stage-photo-Bill-Ray-tagged.jpg

Cool -- another thrilling Minneapolis photo from 5-13-1956 by Bill Ray!

Presley-Stage-photo-Bill-Ray-tagged_01.jpg

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Excellent! Many thanks!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:50 am

rjm wrote:Excellent! Many thanks!

One wonders just how many unpublished Bill Ray photographs of Elvis there may be in his archive!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 am

Excellent :D