Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

elvis' sleeping problem

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:49 am

Did Elvis have a hard time falling asleep when he was younger? Before he found sleeping pills? I read in "His best friend remembers" that in the mid seventies he tried to get off the pills in the hospital but he could not fall asleep for 72hours. Poor guy. So they gave him some... So, in his teens and early 20's, what did he do??

Re: elvis' sleeping problem

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:04 am

GuitarKing wrote:Did Elvis have a hard time falling asleep when he was younger? Before he found sleeping pills? I read in "His best friend remembers" that in the mid seventies he tried to get off the pills in the hospital but he could not fall asleep for 72hours. Poor guy. So they gave him some... So, in his teens and early 20's, what did he do??

It's been quoted on numerous occasions that Elvis had difficulty sleeping although I don't recall childhood problems of the top of my head but it may well have been a life long problem for him. He mentions himself that on the 1956 Hy Gardner interview that he averages 4 or 5 hrs a night sleep. It's well documented that Elvis also suffered from sleepwalking around that time also.

phpBB [video]

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:39 am

Elvis wasn't the only human being who suffered from a sleeping disorder. A lot of people do, but unfortunately drugging people was and still is a money making easy fix. Stress, lack of consistency from the beginning or traumatic events can cause sleeping disorders.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:35 am

Did he have sleeping disorders in the army?

Or those months of early starts in hollywood?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:56 am

Good question i'd like to know that...

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Did he have sleeping disorders in the army?

Or those months of early starts in hollywood?
If I remember correctly, he did have trouble sleeping in the Army and took medication for it, plus stuff to keep him awake. During that time a lot of servicemen took uppers and downers to sleep or stay awake, especially during guard duty and patrols. It wasn't uncommon back then and today, servicemen have the luxury of energy drinks and sleeping pills.

I'm not too familiar with the early movie days so I can't answer that question.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

Elvisfan10 wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Did he have sleeping disorders in the army?

. During that time a lot of servicemen took uppers and downers to sleep or stay awake, especially during guard duty and patrols.

I guess that explains the Vietnam war

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Elvis had sleeping problems as a child and all throughout his adult life. A large part of his beginnings on the spiral of drug addiction stems from his use of pills to help him go to sleep and wake up.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:36 pm

No, in the army Elvis used only uppers (dexedrine or amphtamine) to stay awake and resist to manouvers. If he used sleeping pills he was never able to get up at 5 A.M. The problem with using uppers frequently began here (like Red, Sonny, Priscilla, Rex Mansfield, Guralnick and many others wrote in their books). Even Elvis told to Linda Thompson one day he use drugs since the Army (Germany). After the Army he began to use sleeping pills especially at Graceland to wake up at 2-3 P.M. because he wanted a longer sleep. In Hollywood in the 60's again the uppers were dominant because also he must wake up usually at an early hour (6 A.M.)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Elvis' sleeping problem was that he went to bed early in the morning and getting out of bed late afternoon.
That's OK for a short while, but not for months. Then you get sleeping problems.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:Elvis wasn't the only human being who suffered from a sleeping disorder. A lot of people do, but unfortunately drugging people was and still is a money making easy fix.

as long as it works, what the hell :smt005 (needs drugs to sleep myself)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:29 pm

You're right, sleeping pills are used by millions of people and used corectly are OK. And we must remember also the amphetamines were in every drugstore in the 50's aand 60's and considered a wonder medicine to have some little more energy. The doctors then said were harmless.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 pm

After Aloha... he slept for 24 hours straight.. :lol: ..so no prob there..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:Elvis had sleeping problems as a child and all throughout his adult life. A large part of his beginnings on the spiral of drug addiction stems from his use of pills to help him go to sleep and wake up.

I totally agree with you Good Time Charlie
::rocks

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:20 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Elvis had sleeping problems as a child and all throughout his adult life. A large part of his beginnings on the spiral of drug addiction stems from his use of pills to help him go to sleep and wake up.

Yes that's also my understanding of his sleeping disorder including walking in his sleep. It was first raised in the Elvis - What Happened book.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:58 am

Did Elvis snore? :smt006

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Jove wrote:Did Elvis snore? :smt006

:smt005

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:26 am

jurasic1968 wrote:You're right, sleeping pills are used by millions of people and used corectly are OK..

the use of SP is a sign that sth is going wrong in your life or health .....