Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS PATCH IT UP [ With FANTASTIC FINISH ]

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Why have not picked this version for TTWII-SE?
do you have any idea?
phpBB [video]

Re: ELVIS PATCH IT UP [ With FANTASTIC FINISH ]

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 pm

With that "fantastic finish" to 'Patch It Up' I'm surprised that he didn't tear cartilage in his knees!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Erhan wrote:Why have not picked this version for TTWII-SE?
do you have any idea?

phpBB [video]

Here are two likely reasons.

Director Denis Sanders:
(1) preferred the footage he shot on August 12 DS
(2) chose the performance that had less errors

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
do you have any idea?

phpBB [video]

Director Denis Sanders:

:lol:

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:25 am

Blue River wrote:With that "fantastic finish" to 'Patch It Up' I'm surprised that he didn't tear cartilage in his knees!

It being Olympic season, I figure he either gets the gold for that, or orthopedic surgery. Mercy!

One crazy little dude. :D

rjm

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Presley would always do something over the top whenever he felt there were errors in his performace. At 2.38 into the clip he gets ahead of the band, singing the chorus when he's really supposed to have gone to the bridge, or viceversa...

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Presley would always do something over the top whenever he felt there were errors in his performace.

Always? No way.

In the example being discussed, it was opening night, with stars lining the front tables. Elvis went the extra mile because he wanted to impress them.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 am

definately throws the "fat in a jumpsuit theory" down the drain, that`s for sure!! I am so sick of people summing up his 70`s career in this manner, education yourself first folks!

ELVIS PATCH IT UP [ With FANTASTIC FINISH ]

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

Elvis and the TCB band ruined Patch It Up on the concert stage by:

1) upping the key
2) playing it way too fast
3) arranging it too "soft"

They ought to have kept to the hard groove, and original key of the single than ploughing through it haphazardly in too high a pitch thus loosing the potential energy from the song. Live it is all air and no stuffing.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:54 am

Very dynamic performance indeed. Sanders chose the other version to be included in the movie as it was better than this one, excellent finale on this August 10 version though.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 am

Matthew wrote:Elvis and the TCB band ruined Patch It Up on the concert stage by:

1) upping the key
2) playing it way too fast
3) arranging it too "soft"

They ought to have kept to the hard groove, and original key of the single than ploughing through it haphazardly in too high a pitch thus loosing the potential energy from the song. Live it is all air and no stuffing.

Any arrangement deficiencies cannot be pinned on the band. This was Elvis' show, for better or worse.

The live performance isn't that bad, it just needed more time to gel. There are only two known live performances. Two! I do agree the tempo was too fast, but this problem with the live show in the '70s was not relegated to "Patch It Up."

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 am

For sure, Elvis was in control. I still believe Elvis and co. ruined this song onstage. Ronnie's wild "I AM ANIMAL" drumming, the tame, thin guitars and modified key didn't serve the song well. It's good he tried for something new but it's like they sneeze the song out and on with the rest of the show. It needed to cook, like Polk Salad Annie, than frantically be (almost) thrown away as it was.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Matthew wrote:...the tame, thin guitars...

Agreed. Always thought the guitar work was weak on the live version.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
do you have any idea?

phpBB [video]

Director Denis Sanders:

If there was a error in Recording or cameras you can cut it, edit it, fix it, as you did before what ever you had to do but don't miss that performance that captures of unlimited Elvis capacity...

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 am

Erhan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
do you have any idea?

phpBB [video]

Director Denis Sanders:

If there was a error in Recording or cameras you can cut it, edit it, fix it, as you did before what ever you had to do but don't miss that performance that captures of unlimited Elvis capacity...

The problem was not with the recording or cameras, but with the performance.

Elvis did a better job on "Patch It Up" two days later.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 am

I think the August 12th performance is better, though I like what you posted Erhan. I think Elvis wrung everything he could out of this song!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am

Anyway, I started to try that last night. Really. I stopped just in time, or I'd be hospitalized now! :smt005

rjm

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm

the footage they released is a better performance. the highlight of the august 10 version is the ending when he bends himself in half.:)

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Joe Car wrote:I think the August 12th performance is better, though I like what you posted Erhan.

fg76 could do it better.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for posting. I've never seen this footage before. Great stuff.....not perfect but always fabulous to see. I like the ending too!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

truly amazing performance! :smt023 at first, i thought he couldn't get up at the end :lol: but i don't like that jumpsuit :twisted:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm

sweetangeline wrote:definately throws the "fat in a jumpsuit theory" down the drain, that`s for sure!! I am so sick of people summing up his 70`s career in this manner, education yourself first folks!

i always want to shove 1970 elvis in people's faces :roll:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Matthew wrote:For sure, Elvis was in control. I still believe Elvis and co. ruined this song onstage. Ronnie's wild "I AM ANIMAL" drumming, the tame, thin guitars and modified key didn't serve the song well. It's good he tried for something new but it's like they sneeze the song out and on with the rest of the show. It needed to cook, like Polk Salad Annie, than frantically be (almost) thrown away as it was.

I would say that by August 1970, even Polk Salad Annie was played way to fast compared to the slow-driven, funky version from February of that same year... they're almost two different songs. He did the same thing with Walk A Mile In My Shoes.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:27 am

IMO this performance is just great :smt007 .....and compare it to the one released on the video.......it wouldn`t have made a huge difference soundvise....it`s not bad at all, but footage would have IM :roll: O....for the better....it`s too cool to just quit it :roll:......Crazy.....just crazy :roll:
I`m glad I`ve been able to watch this performance at all....thanks 8)