Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ain’t That Loving You Baby master take help

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 am

I have thought about this awhile, and was wondering what the actual take number is this song?

I used to have the vinyl Reconsider Baby which that song was on if I am not mistaken, but it seem that the master take is lost or something like that. I have tried to search around like Keith Flynn's website but it doesn't say what the master take is.

Re: Ain’t That Loving You Baby master take help

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 am

Take 4

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 am

The fast version on "Reconsider Baby" is a splice.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:52 am

billyblues wrote:The fast version on "Reconsider Baby" is a splice.

Yes... a few splices (if I'm not mistaken).

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:21 am

Blue River wrote:
billyblues wrote:The fast version on "Reconsider Baby" is a splice.

Yes... a few splices (if I'm not mistaken).

And you're right! It's spliced from 4 or so takes, IIRC.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Ahh I see how it was put into place through the different spliced takes. I was trying to figure out what happened to the master take, but that clears it up now. :)

Cheers for the confirmation guys ::rocks

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:51 am

Mac wrote:I have thought about this awhile, and was wondering what the actual take number is this song?

I used to have the vinyl Reconsider Baby which that song was on if I am not mistaken, but it seem that the master take is lost or something like that.

Here are the basics:

Sessions: June 10-11, 1958
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s580610.htm#58_3_song2

Take 04 = Master released on 1964 single (slow tempo)
Take 11 = Master released on 1985 LP* (fast tempo)

* The cut on Reconsider Baby is mostly take 11 with inserts from takes 8, 9 and 10.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:55 am

Keith Flynn wrote:Ain't That Loving You, Baby? (Fast Version) J2WB 3255-SP

There was no satisfactory master take of "Ain't That Loving You, Baby?" at this session, and is listed as such in the session logs. Take 4, however, was eventually released in 1964 as a single (RCA 47-8440), so would have been considered to be the master from then on.

In 1984 a new digital master ("Fast Version") of the song was made by RCA and issued with a new matrix number (PPA5 2672), that was subsequently used on the album "Reconsider Baby."

"Elvis Sound Magazine" website has an estimation of how the "Fast Version" is spliced (Thanks to Jim Berkeley):

0:00.0-0:10.8 = Take 09 ("I could ride around the world" to first "Ain't that")
0:10.8-0:17.9 = Take 10 (First "loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby")
0:17.9-0:21.3 = Take 11 (First "Ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh")
0:21.3-0:41.0 = Take 11 ("I could meet a hundred girls" to Second "Ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh" - Drum Bridge #1)
0:41.0-0:46.5 = Take 08 (Drum Bridge #1 and Guitar Bridge #1)
0:46.5-0:49.3 = Take 11 (Guitar Bridge #1)
0:49.3-0:52.0 = Take 08 (Guitar Bridge #1)
0:52.0-1:14.1 = Take 11 (Guitar Bridge #1 - "If you gave me nine lives like an alley cat" to Third "Ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh" - Drum Bridge #2)
1:14.1-1:22.1 = Take 08 (Drum Bridge #2 and Guitar Bridge #2)
1:22.1-1:27.3 = Take 10 (Guitar Bridge #1)
1:27.3-1:33.0 = Take 11 ("I'm putting on my coat" to Third "Before the sun goes down")
1:33.0-2:00.6 = Take 11 (Third "Ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you so, oh oh oh, oh oh oh" - Drum Bridge #2 and Guitar Bridge #2)
2:00.6-2:13.5 = Take 11 ("I could ride around the world" to First "Ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby")
2:13.5-2:17.0 = Take 11 (Fourth "Ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh")
2:17.0-2:22.5 = Take 11 (Fourth "Ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh")
2:22.5-2:27.3 = Take 11 (Fourth "Ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you so, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh")
2:27.3-2:32.0 = Take 01 (Ending speeded up by 5%)

Rick Rowe created a real masterpiece. I didn't even know it was spliced until I found it on the Internet.
Using the FTD version of "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 2)" I tried to recreate the "Reconsider Baby" mix in better sound:
http://en.packupload.com/BBLT5HZ9GZ7
Last edited by JimmyCool on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:16 am

You got a real mancrush goin' on there. :D

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You got a real mancrush goin' on there. :D

Hahaha :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Very nice Jimmy, it works ...........

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Sounds good Mr Cool

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 am

dennyelvis wrote:Very nice Jimmy, it works ...........

keninlincs wrote:Sounds good Mr Cool

Thank you both :wink:

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 am

I forgot I made this post, but that is excellent info, and thankyou Jimmy for this.

Much appreciated.

Edit : JUst had a listen to the track, and that is some good editing Jimmy.
Last edited by Mac on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 am

Am I right in thinking the Reconsider Baby edit has never appeared again on an official release?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:43 am

Steelback wrote:Am I right in thinking the Reconsider Baby edit has never appeared again on an official release?

I don't think it has never appeared on another release, but see I always thought the master take was lost, but didn't know that is was edited with multiple takes.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:51 am

Mac wrote:
Steelback wrote:Am I right in thinking the Reconsider Baby edit has never appeared again on an official release?

I don't think it has never appeared on another release, but see I always thought the master take was lost, but didn't know that is was edited with multiple takes.

Cheers, that's what I thought. Never got Reconsider Baby on CD. I loved the vinyl release at the time, great tracklist and a very cool cover.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am

Yes you are right.
This version is only included on the RECONSIDER BABY RCA BMG CD!!
No other CD worldwide has this version.

BTW Reconsider Baby is a GREAT RCA BMG CD release 8)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 am

Thanks for posting, Jimmy. Always love your audio magic.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Reconsider Baby is a great LP. I still play my blue vinyl copy a lot. Best mix of Stranger In My Own Home Town is on there too. I remember being shocked by the fast version of AInt That Loving You Baby. I must have played it over and over when I that album came out.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Reconsider Baby is a great LP. I still play my blue vinyl copy a lot. Best mix of Stranger In My Own Home Town is on there too. I remember being shocked by the fast version of AInt That Loving You Baby. I must have played it over and over when I that album came out.

Not fond of that mix.

The edits are horrible and to the point unnecessary.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Reconsider Baby is a great LP. I still play my blue vinyl copy a lot. Best mix of Stranger In My Own Home Town is on there too. I remember being shocked by the fast version of AInt That Loving You Baby. I must have played it over and over when I that album came out.

Not fond of that mix.
The edits are horrible and to the point unnecessary.

I agree.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:36 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Rick Rowe created a real masterpiece. I didn't even know it was spliced until I found it on the Internet.
Using the FTD version of "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 2)" I tried to recreate the "Reconsider Baby" mix in better sound:

I use your version a lot on my playlists etc

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi, I'm Jim Berkeley. I just uploaded three "well-synched" samples to YouTube. If you listen to them with stereo earphone, you'll realize the edited point.

Sample #1
http://youtu.be/K_9EAXMCAsI
0:00.0-0:10.8 = Take 09 ("I could ride around the world" to first "Ain't that")
0:10.8-0:17.9 = Take 10 (First "loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby, ain't that loving you baby")

Sample #2 (replaced Take11's 3sec.guitar, then switched back to Take8)
http://youtu.be/ZiVl4jMP5zw
0:41.0-0:46.5 = Take 08 (Drum Bridge #1 and Guitar Bridge #1)
0:46.5-0:49.3 = Take 11 (Guitar Bridge #1)
0:49.3-0:52.0 = Take 08 (Guitar Bridge #1)

Sample #3 (replaced from 'different place')
http://youtu.be/JRIuYXCpiVw
1:22.1-1:27.3 = Take 10 (Guitar Bridge #1)
1:27.3-1:33.0 = Take 11 ("I'm putting on my coat" to Third "Before the sun goes down")

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Rick Rowe created a real masterpiece. I didn't even know it was spliced until I found it on the Internet.

I use your version a lot on my playlists etc

Cool! :D