Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Autumn Gold -- New Audionics Release (10-1-74 Show)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Autumn Gold

Audionics will release new 2-CD set in early August: "AUTUMN GOLD." It will include the complete South Bend, Indiana show from October 1st, 1974 and a generous chunk of the famous August 16, 1974 RCA Hollywood rehearsal in a totally different sound - binaural stereo, as it was originally recorded. The South Bend date was originally issued in 2003 by Follow That Dream, but "Killing Me Softly With His Song" and some stage dialogue were omitted, and the closing vamp was clipped.
Though Elvis’ personal problems were affecting some of his shows around this time, he seemed to be in fine fettle in South Bend. Overall, this show presents a solid and pleasing performance by Elvis, and though it has been released before, we can now enjoy a more complete and -- most importantly - sonically superior recording of this concert!

The August 16, 1974 rehearsal surfaced on bootleg compact disc in 1995, then officially fourteen years later on Follow That Dream. For the first time, Audionics presents these songs as originally recorded, in binaural stereo; and the sound is better than ever before. Unfortunately, the entire tape is unavailable, but all the essential performances are here. It is a real pleasure to listen tracks like "Softly As I Leave You" and "Twelfth Of Never" in binaural form.

"AUTUMN GOLD" is presented in a great-looking 2-disc digipak with a 20-page booklet filled with photographs taken that night in South Bend and at additional live shows and candids from March, August and October 1974.

All these recordings have been carefully engineered to be presented in the best possible sound.

Tracklisting :

CD 1 / Tuesday, October 1, 1974: University of Notre Dame, Evening Show

01. C. C. Rider - 02. I Got A Woman / Amen - 03. Love Me - 04. It's Midnight - 05. Big Boss Man - 06. Fever - 07. Love Me Tender - 08. Hound Dog - 09. Heartbreak Hotel - 10. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - 11. Bridge Over Troubled Water - 12. Introduction of vocalists, musicians - 13. Guitar Solo (James Burton) - 14. Drum Solo (Ronnie Tutt) - 15. Bass Solo (Duke Bardwell) - 16. Introduction of orchestra - 17. Orchestra Solo (Joe Guercio Orchestra) - 18. Lawdy Miss Clawdy - 19. All Shook Up - 20. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - 21. Killing Me Softly with His Song (Voice) - 22. Let Me Be There (with reprise) - 23. It's Now Or Never - 24. You Gave Me A Mountain - 25. Johnny B. Goode - 26. Hawaiian Wedding Song - 27. Steamroller Blues - 28. Can't Help Falling In Love - 29. Closing Vamp, Announcements (Al Dvorin).

CD 2 / Friday, August 16, 1974: RCA Hollywood

01. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - 02. Promised Land - 03. Down In The Alley - 04. It's Midnight - 05. Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming - 06. Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - 07. Softly As I Leave You - 08. I'm Leavin' - 09. Proud Mary - 10. If You Talk In Your Sleep - 11. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) #2 - 12. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) #3 - 13. Twelfth Of Never - 14. Faded Love - 15. Just Pretend.

Re: Autumn Gold -- New Audionics Release (10-1-74 Show)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Sounds great! I love Twelfth of Never.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I just don't see myself doing this one.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Rob wrote:I just don't see myself doing this one.

....But we all depend on you for your valuable input on new import releases. It's how you roll.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I think leaving out dialogue on this date was probably the best way forward - leaving out some of the songs wouldn't have been an horrendous move!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:But we all depend on you for your valuable input on new import releases. It's how you roll.

Not this time. Money be damned, I just don't see myself buying a reissue of a show that I seldom listen to now.

I know I'm nuts for passing up another version of Killing Me Softly, but I like living on the edge

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Image

Autumn Gold

Audionics will release new 2-CD set in early August: "AUTUMN GOLD." It will include the complete South Bend, Indiana show from October 1st, 1974 and a generous chunk of the famous August 16, 1974 RCA Hollywood rehearsal in a totally different sound - binaural stereo, as it was originally recorded. The South Bend date was originally issued in 2003 by Follow That Dream, but "Killing Me Softly With His Song" and some stage dialogue were omitted, and the closing vamp was clipped.
Though Elvis’ personal problems were affecting some of his shows around this time, he seemed to be in fine fettle in South Bend. Overall, this show presents a solid and pleasing performance by Elvis, and though it has been released before, we can now enjoy a more complete and -- most importantly - sonically superior recording of this concert!

The August 16, 1974 rehearsal surfaced on bootleg compact disc in 1995, then officially fourteen years later on Follow That Dream. For the first time, Audionics presents these songs as originally recorded, in binaural stereo; and the sound is better than ever before. Unfortunately, the entire tape is unavailable, but all the essential performances are here. It is a real pleasure to listen tracks like "Softly As I Leave You" and "Twelfth Of Never" in binaural form.

"AUTUMN GOLD" is presented in a great-looking 2-disc digipak with a 20-page booklet filled with photographs taken that night in South Bend and at additional live shows and candids from March, August and October 1974.

All these recordings have been carefully engineered to be presented in the best possible sound.

Wy would FTD not release in this form?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm

trouble_jw wrote:Why would FTD not release in this form?

That's because FTD has already issued these recordings separately........

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

I mean in the stereo sound

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 pm

I like this concert, but on the FTD there's a strange noise/distortion throughout the whole show. Was it recorded that way or is it just a mastering fault? I prefer unedited concerts so i will buy it again.

Oven Egeland wrote:Why FTD decided to release this show certainly puzzles me. It couldn't be due to good sound quality either as this CD features a rather poor soundboard recording. Lack of bass and something that reminds of digital flaunts "ruins" the sound throughout the show.

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/dragonheart.html

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Just as the rehearsal, I'm sure the South Bend show comes out a little better when the sound is significantly upgraded.
I wonder if that's possible so the "sonically superiority" statement is only credible when we hear a great sound sample upfront.

Until then, a no go.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 am

trouble_jw wrote:

Autumn Gold

Because Ernst has no idea what he's doing and should have put more time and attention on these landmark recordings??? Just a guess...

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:06 am

I like 'better sound' and i am also a COMPLETIST...so even for the South Bend show being 'complete' i would get this. :D

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:59 am

I wonder how the rehearsal sounds in binaural.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 am

JimmyCool wrote:I wonder how the rehearsal sounds in binaural.

OH PROBABLY SOUNDS 'BETTER!' :wink:

Autumn Gold -- New Audionics Release (10-1-74 Show)

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 am

Rob wrote:I just don't see myself doing this one.

WTF? Say it ain't so Rob! The end of the world is near fellow crazies. Brace yourselves.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 am

I already own the FTD releases, so I'll skip this one. The concert may be better than other shows from this tour, but still the King sounds to be under the influence of something. It's a weak show and I don't care for a performance of voice or a slightly better sound (more often than not just better in the ears of the producers). I never heared of "binaural stereo", but I guess they just want to release the stuff as it was recorded. So I'll pass this one and look forward to A BOY FROM TUPELO!

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:44 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I never heared of "binaural stereo", but I guess they just want to release the stuff as it was recorded.

Binaural stereo is a method of recording using (essentially) two microphones.

One microphone captures the vocalist (or the lead instrument) and the other captures the band.

Ideally, the two channels will then be mixed into one dynamic mono track, giving the engineer some control over the final mix.

When heard in their original two-track form, the binaural recordings can sound a little odd but occasionally wonderful.

'Jailhouse Rock' [FTD Volume 1] contains some splendid examples of Elvis' binaural recording sessions.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 am

elvis-fan wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

Autumn Gold

Because Ernst has no idea what he's doing and should have put more time and attention on these landmark recordings??? Just a guess...

Interesting guess. I sence a sarcastic tone? :)

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 am

For me Audionics re-releases sound not better than first releases (Dallas 76, San Francisco 76, Back WIth A Bang or Macon 75).
With Dallas and San Francisco sounding worst than originals, I will wait for sound samples before get any Audionics CD again.

But this one is easy to skip cause already have it in FTD. And I will never ever replace FTD with any bootleg with excactly same material.

My credit card is pretty tired with those re-releases :)

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

I mean in the stereo sound

I love FTD, and very thankful for what Ernst have given us, but questions like this are a mystery, and just another reason, besides some of their mind blowing edits they decide on, is why the bootlegs will never die in the Elvis world.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Tomek wrote:For me Audionics re-releases sound not better than first releases (Dallas 76, San Francisco 76, Back WIth A Bang or Macon 75).
With Dallas and San Francisco sounding worst than originals, I will wait for sound samples before get any Audionics CD again.

But this one is easy to skip cause already have it in FTD. And I will never ever replace FTD with any bootleg with excactly same material.

My credit card is pretty tired with those re-releases :)

It's not exactly the same. We're getting an unreleased version "Killing Me Softly" by Voice. Ain't that enough? :wink:

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Less Sherill singing makes better CD to me.
So this is like own goal by Adionics to me :))

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 pm

[quote="George Smith"]Binaural stereo is a method of recording using (essentially) two microphones.[quote]
I just wanted to say, that it's either BINAURAL or STEREO.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

YDKM wrote:I like 'better sound' and i am also a COMPLETIST...so even for the South Bend show being 'complete' i would get this. :D

You are the sort of person this is aimed at - a re-release of an adequate FTD CD with about 7 seconds of 'extra' dialogue and a couple of songs from a rehearsal we have had several times before, only 'mastered' again by someone different. The original release WAS in 'binaural' anyway, so THAT blurb is nothing new. Such a waste of money. I am a 'completist' too, but this just seems a rip-off (again) and I can live without the extra 7 seconds and a horrible song by a backing vocalist.