Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Simon1 wrote: And small independents cannot sell their products at the same prices a giant like Sony can. Their product sells a couple of thousands units, against Sony's whatever the numbers will be.

That's not true. When a major label puts out a CD or a DVD, they have no guarantee it will sell one unit, let alone a few thousand, but they still sell them at a competitive price. They might even lose money when everything is taken into account. But when Tunzi puts out a DVD he can be reasonably sure that he will shift every single copy. There's no way he's not going to make a nice tidy profit.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Simon1 wrote: And small independents cannot sell their products at the same prices a giant like Sony can. Their product sells a couple of thousands units, against Sony's whatever the numbers will be.

That's not true. When a major label puts out a CD or a DVD, they have no guarantee it will sell one unit, let alone a few thousand, but they still sell them at a competitive price. They might even lose money when everything is taken into account. But when Tunzi puts out a DVD he can be reasonably sure that he will shift every single copy. There's no way he's not going to make a nice tidy profit.

I don't agree with that. Someone like Tunzi has the same guarantee that something will sell or not like a big company like Sony. Also a big difference is when Sony puts something out that will sell less than they expected it won't make a dent in their financial situation, but when a small independant should fail to sell it might even send them into bankruptcy.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 am

I would love to ask Ersnt why Turner released the 2 disc version of TTWII and as a bonus they had piss poor vcd quality of the outtakes ?

This was just plain rude to serve up rubbish like that

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 am

OnTourCam wrote:I would love to ask Ersnt why Turner released the 2 disc version of TTWII and as a bonus they had piss poor vcd quality of the outtakes ?

This was just plain rude to serve up rubbish like that

Why would you pose this question to Ernst? He has nothing to do with DVD editions of That's The Way It Is.

Besides - your question was answered on this very forum in recent years.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 am

I would love to ask Ersnt why Turner released the 2 disc version of TTWII and as a bonus they had piss poor vcd quality of the outtakes ?

This was just plain rude to serve up rubbish like that.

Better to ask Tom Brown, who was the moderator at the event and coincidentally worked on the 2000 redo of TTWII.

But you wouldn't get much information, most likely.

What he told me in the past, if memory serves correctly, is that remastered outtakes had gone missing. Those outtakes that were included came from some of his own work prints.

I'll admit I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of my conversation with him from five years ago, but that's the gist of it.

Tom wasn't really involved in the repackaging, as I recall, and probably won't have a significant role in On Tour beyond harassing them to do a special package.

So don't blame him for the state of things or what has happened since he was involved.

But he'd know more about the inner workings of the situation than Ernst, for sure.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Simon1 wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I don't agree with that. Someone like Tunzi has the same guarantee that something will sell or not like a big company like Sony. Also a big difference is when Sony puts something out that will sell less than they expected it won't make a dent in their financial situation, but when a small independant should fail to sell it might even send them into bankruptcy.

I honestly can't see any DVD of Tunzi's not selling out. I would agree that in the early days it was an untested market, so maybe his first release, whatever that might have been, was a risk. But it's not been like that now for a long time. He announces a new disc and all copies are shipped out to clubs and mail order dealers, and that's that. I doubt very much whether he operates a 'sale or return' policy, so as far as he is concerned he shifts all his stock upon release.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 pm

not sure why i directed my question to Ersnt i guess i hold him in high regards he seems to be very switched on and does well with the Elvis FTD releases.

Who at Turner then gave the light to release them Outtakes ? surely there is some quality control that prohibits releasing material in such bad quality ?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:38 pm

The Pirate wrote:I honestly can't see any DVD of Tunzi's not selling out. I would agree that in the early days it was an untested market, so maybe his first release, whatever that might have been, was a risk. But it's not been like that now for a long time. He announces a new disc and all copies are shipped out to clubs and mail order dealers, and that's that. I doubt very much whether he operates a 'sale or return' policy, so as far as he is concerned he shifts all his stock upon release.

Right. And aren't a good portion of JT's sales from pre-orders even before the product (whether book or DVD) is produced? I have to believe his reputation carries a lot of weight in the Elvis world these days.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 pm

OnTourCam wrote:Who at Turner then gave the light to release them Outtakes ? surely there is some quality control that prohibits releasing material in such bad quality ?

smt179 Obviously not.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm really sorry if this had been posted before, but it's sooo funny...

If you check out the amazon.com site it says on the tracklisting:

"Disc: 3
1. Afternoon show filmed June 10, 1972 (approx. 1 hour)
2. Afternoon press conference held June 9, 1972 (approx. 20 minutes) "

And DIRECTLY underneath it is the so-called "Editorial Review", where it says:

"DVD includes:
20 minute "mini documentary" featuring footage from the June 9th press conference, the June 9th evening show, the June 10th afternoon show plus new interviews with Lenny Kaye, James Burton and Glenn D. Hardin, Joe Guercio, and Jerry Schilling.

The complete NBC-New York film of the June 9th press conference. Approximately 12 minutes.

The June 10th afternoon show (complete audio) with approximately 20 minutes of fan-shot 8mm film synched with the newly mixed audio, including a complete performance of "That's All Right"."

Pretty rough, eh?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QZ ... d_i=507846

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
I'm really sorry if this had been posted before, but it's sooo funny...

If you check out the amazon.com site it says on the tracklisting:

"Disc: 3
1. Afternoon show filmed June 10, 1972 (approx. 1 hour)
2. Afternoon press conference held June 9, 1972 (approx. 20 minutes) "

And DIRECTLY underneath it is the so-called "Editorial Review", where it says:

"DVD includes:
20 minute "mini documentary" featuring footage from the June 9th press conference, the June 9th evening show, the June 10th afternoon show plus new interviews with Lenny Kaye, James Burton and Glenn D. Hardin, Joe Guercio, and Jerry Schilling.

The complete NBC-New York film of the June 9th press conference. Approximately 12 minutes.

The June 10th afternoon show (complete audio) with approximately 20 minutes of fan-shot 8mm film synched with the newly mixed audio, including a complete performance of "That's All Right"."

Pretty rough, eh?

Covering all their bases I'd say! :roll:

RKS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

I'm not sure if anybody has asked this question, but i'm curious about what the quality of this release versus the 1972 New York Experience is like?

I forgot I had that DVD from Phoenix XP, so I gave it a whirl last night, and it actually looked good running through a HD TV.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 am

Mac wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has asked this question, but i'm curious about what the quality of this release versus the 1972 New York Experience is like?

I forgot I had that DVD from Phoenix XP, so I gave it a whirl last night, and it actually looked good running through a HD TV.

I did exactly the same thing and... was quite disappointed. I got the feeling that running such DVDs/footage through a HD TV may not be such a good idea. I think I've got to agree with a friend of mine who once said that such amateur 8mm footage looks best on old kinescope type TV sets.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am

hm80ep wrote:
Mac wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has asked this question, but i'm curious about what the quality of this release versus the 1972 New York Experience is like?

I did exactly the same thing and... was quite disappointed. I got the feeling that running such DVDs/footage through a HD TV may not be such a good idea. I think I've got to agree with a friend of mine who once said that such amateur 8mm footage looks best on old type TV sets.

Is that the TV with the big brown box at the back? :D

I remember watching Elvis movies on one of those, and back then it was ace. The years has just flown bye since then.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:13 am

OnTourCam wrote:not sure why i directed my question to Ersnt i guess i hold him in high regards he seems to be very switched on and does well with the Elvis FTD releases.

Who at Turner then gave the light to release them Outtakes ? surely there is some quality control that prohibits releasing material in such bad quality ?

I would imagine that MGM's take on it is / was 'it's a BONUS and we can no doubt release it again in a few years time in better quality so they will buy the film again'!

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:53 am

coming from the direct reel it will be good but only 20 odd mins, if they want to take this route all well and good but its the way forward for live footage, if not bootleggers will lead the way

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 am

I am fine with whatever is released on the DVD in whatever quality because this is an unexpected bonus!!!!!! We never thought that a release like this would included anything other than music. If you want to blame anyone blame the Col. Tom for being is shortsighted and not think to film these.

Burning Love

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:56 am

I have also wondered this! Im cucious if the afternoon footage on the new MSG package is the same as we have on "1972 New Your Experience" I doubt if it is but it has crossed my mind..... I wish they would have also released the evening show with the awesome footage from that show!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 am

I got to be on the Elvis radio show in the trivia contest. I didn't win first place but I got second out of three people. Both guys were on before and both had won before.

I only missed one question but the first guy didn't miss any.

I won the CD sampler of "Prince Of Another Planet"!!!

The guy that won first place won a T-Shirt!!

I was so happy I got 2nd place!! :)

The question I missed was, "How much money did Elvis have to spend to rent out Liberty Land for the night?"

I guessed $2000 but the correct answer was $2500.

I wished I had the good Doc with me. :)

Course then I would have won the T-Shirt!! :)

I also got "A Boy From Tupelo" set today at the Heartbreak Hotel gift shop.

It's really heavy. Nice to have it in my hands! :wink:

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am

Mitch try to post a picture of the sampler cd! congrats, thats cool!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Mitch wrote:I got to be on the Elvis radio show in the trivia contest. I didn't win first place but I got second out of three people. Both guys were on before and both had won before.

The question I missed was, "How much money did Elvis have to spend to rent out Liberty Land for the night?"

When you do get the CD sampler in the mail around November, please do tell us what the sound quality is like.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Over 2 months to go, and still can't wait to hear the improvement on the sound.

Wish they would do something with the Aloha next because I will always say that it sounds too fast.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mitch wrote:I got to be on the Elvis radio show in the trivia contest. I didn't win first place but I got second out of three people. Both guys were on before and both had won before.

When you do get the CD sampler in the mail around November, please do tell us what the sound quality is like.

Got it the same day as the contest. Not going to open it. I collect them and it's worth more sealed.

When my Son gets here I'll have him help me put the picture of the sleeve up.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:22 pm

JEFF d wrote:Mitch try to post a picture of the sampler cd! congrats, thats cool!

JEFF d
EP fan

May I help you? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:32 pm

PetriTCB wrote:
JEFF d wrote:Mitch try to post a picture of the sampler cd! congrats, thats cool!

JEFF d
EP fan

May I help you? :D

While you're at it, could you post the MP3 of "TARM" ?