Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 pm

minkahed wrote:I've known this for months and now you guys are getting all wet ...

Kinda funny actaully ....

The guy that I know that works at Battery Studios said he heard some of this Elvis "LIve" stuff and told me it'll blow you away with how great it sounds. I sure hope he was right.

Likewise. Further, my contact at SONY heard the tapes in Paris some 2 weeks ago and he states that (as we already know) the original MSG release was rush released and as a consequence did not receive the mastering it deserved. This time around he states that the sound is awesome and just like being in the Arena with Elvis. Sounds promising.

Brian

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Forgive me for "stating the bleedin' obvious", but,

What an inspired choice of title ! For the avoidance of doubt, too, let me say that I am not being sarcastic.

I originally read the New York Times review of the show (reprinted) back in 1972. Forty years on, 'A Prince From Another Planet' still grabs the attention and still gives a few goosebumps. This would all seem to be a brilliant marketing decision. It's too bad it appears in this soulless era of downloads, as it would certainly have had a greater impact a few years' back. Certainly I remember record shops having sizeable stacks of An Afternoon In The Garden, back in 1997 (was it really that long ago ?).

Steve Morse

I didn't get into Elvis properly until 1999-2000, & the mainstream CD store racks looked so cool in those days: Tomorrow is a Long Time, Home Recordings, TTWII Special Edition, An Afternoon in the Garden, Such a Night... these had such IMO great artwork & this "A Prince.." release reminds me of those. Of course several of those late 90s/early 00s have been superceded in terms of sound quality, but I had a great time getting into Elvis via those nicely presented CDs!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:30 pm

My mind always goes to the Madison Square Garden shows when the name of Elvis is mentioned. It is the period that I admire and enjoy the most. He was kicking ass and taking names in the spring and summer of 1972 and I dig these shows.

I am counting on this release living up to the hype and look forward to it.

drjohncarpenter wrote:I have tried to translate the page for all of you who dig '70s Elvis like I do!

Quit it.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Yea. I got 2 copies Afternoon In The Garden just in case.
Cause I play that one the most since I bought it in 1998.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm

:lol: G r e a t n e w s !.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Who the .... is Michael Brauer???

He's a big-time, very established and successful engineer. From his website:

Michael Brauer.JPG

My career began at MediaSound Studios in New York City in 1976. I worked my way up from the Shipping Department to staff engineer by 1978. The staff engineers that I assisted were all the hottest guys in town including; Bob Clearmountain, Mike Barbiero, Ron St. Germain, Michael DeLugg, Ed Stasium, Godfrey Diamond, Tony Bongiovi and Harvey Goldberg.

My first big break came when I was asked to record and mix two songs with singer Luther Vandross for an R&B record called Change. Soon after, Luther approached me to record his upcoming solo album Never too Much which went on to become a Gold Record. I became Luther’s engineer and recorded all his music for the next four years including two Aretha Franklin albums.

In 1984 I flew over to London where the music scene was exploding. I met some A&R people that were willing to give me a shot at production and remixing. I soon became in demand and worked for all the major London labels until 1990 when I decided to focus on the American scene.

I went on to mix such records as the Stones' Steelwheels, New Radicals, Tony Bennett’s Grammy® Album of the Year Unplugged. I've received 4 Grammys® including ColdPlay's Alternative Album of the Year Parachutes, John Mayer’s Best Pop Vocal Album, Continuum, ColdPlay's Best Rock Album, Viva la Vida and John Mayer - Best Engineer in Non-Classical, Battle Studies. Recent projects include John Mayer, Twin Shadow, Grizzly Bear, Flying Colors and Rumor.

"If there is one word to sum up mix master Michael Brauer’s list of credits, it is 'eclectic.' That impression would be fine by Brauer, who has made a point of constantly expanding into new musical territories. Along the way, Brauer’s work has enjoyed commercial and critical success in genres as diverse as urban, R&B, country, alternative, rock, mainstream, rock and pop, thanks to his knack for creating mixes that capture the intent of the songs. Unlike some mixers and producers, Brauer doesn’t leave an identifiable sonic stamp on his work. That anonymity keeps him from being pigeonholed into a particular category. However, one element Brauer has worked on tirelessly - and which has set his mixes apart from the pack - is his sophisticated application of compression. While many mixers may throw an entire mix through a compressor to even out the overall dynamics, Brauer refines the final sound with a multilevel approach that keeps the compression of one part of the mix from inflicting itself on another area of the soundscape." -- (Billboard ProFile interview by Rick Clark ‘94)

MHB Productions - Biography
http://www.mbrauer.com/biog2.asp

Cool, thanks for the info, Doc! Maybe his name is more common in the Steve Hoffman-community.

I only hope it doesn't end up like such a mess as the "Elvis As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis"-FTD desaster (still speaking for myself, I know a lot of folks here like the mix, still can't figure out why).

And I hope he knows what he does - let's keep our fingers crossed.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm pretty sure they will release same or almost same stuff as Tunzi did on DVD.

I wait for CD's thou.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I have tried to translate the page for all of you who dig '70s Elvis like I do!

Quit it.

You kill me Rob! :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Like Breuer's T Shirt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HVFp46PfyA

Brian :)

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:51 pm

JerryNodak wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Oh man, let us hope they are not! I thought we were long beyond the "bright, brick-wall, modern" screwed up mastering days. Well, it only says he's remixing the tapes - hopefully the mastering will be done well.

I totally agree with you, Matthew.

Let's hire back Lene Reidel to do the job. :smt005 :smt005

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:31 pm

"Prince From Another Planet" is great news and I'm not complaining about anything, however...
it's too bad that this wasn't planned and worked on earlier in the year so it could've been released last month since it was originally a June (1972) recording/release.

Other than that, it's all good!

::rocks

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes, but it wasn't released in 1972 until a couple of months later.

It's all good.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Rob wrote:Yes, but it wasn't released in 1972 until a couple of months later.

It's all good.

Wasn't it rush-released Rob? I thought it came out even in June.
Cheers,
Simon

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

It did. I stand corrected. It was me who didn't get it until the summer of that year.

My first Elvis album.
Last edited by Rob on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Rob wrote:Yes, but it wasn't released in 1972 until a couple of months later.

It's all good.

I agree but the LP came out about 2 weeks after the show. Main reason they used a photo from April.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01 pm

See my previous post.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm

I have to wonder if the DVD that comes with the "Like A Prince From Another Planet" set will also include the footage of Elvis receiving the gold record for the Madison Square Garden LP will be included from August 4, 1972. The reason I ask this is because, according to one of Tunzi's first two sessions books, this footage was in BMG (now Sony's) archives.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Rob wrote:It did. I stand corrected. It was me who didn't get it until the summer of that year.

My first Elvis album.

It was one of my first albums too and played it to pieces almost, still love the album.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Daryl wrote:I have to wonder if the DVD that comes with the "Like A Prince From Another Planet" set will also include the footage of Elvis receiving the gold record for the Madison Square Garden LP will be included from August 4, 1972. The reason I ask this is because, according to one of Tunzi's first two sessions books, this footage was in BMG (now Sony's) archives.

The footage you mention probably won't be included
since it should be included (if you know what I mean). :wink:

Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In September

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 pm

An idea for the FTD classic album: MSG original mix (cd 1) plus Richmond or Hampton roads on cd 2

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Looking forward to this. The CD i have of the evening show is the bog standard release and its so flat.

CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm

frus75 wrote:An idea for the FTD classic album: MSG original mix (cd 1) plus Richmond or Hampton roads on cd 2

Bad idea.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Rob wrote:It did. I stand corrected.

You wear support hose?

Axe

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Sony Legacy should follow this "Like A Prince From Another Planet" with an "Elvis On Tour" box set in November and an "Aloha From Hawaii" set in early 2013.

Daryl

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 pm

This guy has remixed some great stuff, hey Retro take a look at these tubes man .........

http://www.mbrauer.com/soundtowers2.asp