Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks DJC for the post. A lot of naysayers were moaning about the lack of activity for the 35th anniversary. All I can say is WOW. There is so much good stuff out there and coming up. I don't know what to buy next. :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:16 am

memphisound wrote:I think its an iconic photograph.
But i'm sure this isn't the final cover.

This is my presumption as well. For one thing, Elvis has his belt on upside down.

I actually would prefer a spectacular color shot taken from the June 10 afternoon show as the cover. Elvis looked fantastic in that powder blue outfit, his bronze tan contrasting nicely with the blues and the golds.

Delboy wrote:Thanks DJC for the post. A lot of naysayers were moaning about the lack of activity for the 35th anniversary. All I can say is WOW. There is so much good stuff out there and coming up. I don't know what to buy next. :D

Ernst has been kicking butt so far in 2012, has he not?

1960 G.I. Blues classic album
1960 Welcome Home Elvis FTD book w/ MONO Elvis Is Back
1970 On Stage classic album
1972 Prince From Another Planet, MSG box set w/ DVD
1973 From Hawaii To Vegas FTD, rehearsal w/ rare "Separate Ways"
1975 Another Saturday Night FTD, unissued Shreveport concert

And some '50s book project, with three CDs of rare, restored and unissued material...

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This is my presumption as well. For one thing, Elvis has his belt on upside down.

I actually would prefer a spectacular color shot taken from the June 10 afternoon show as the cover. Elvis looked fantastic in that powder blue outfit, his bronze tan contrasting nicely with the blues and the golds.

Delboy wrote:Thanks DJC for the post. A lot of naysayers were moaning about the lack of activity for the 35th anniversary. All I can say is WOW. There is so much good stuff out there and coming up. I don't know what to buy next. :D

And some '50s book project, with three CDs of rare, restored and unissued material...

Well put DJC, could not agree more, so anyone want to continue saying negative things towards FTD or ernst
you should be thankful we have these releases. And thats only half way through the year.
Last edited by memphisound on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:31 am

So the reason that I think the Evening show will be remixed too is that the "2001" heard on the youtube clip is both (1) Remixed (2) From the evening show.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 am

Matthew wrote:
promiseland wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Excellent news! I read "remixed," so I'm sure getting this... :)

"Remixed" from what?
The Multi-Track tape from the evening show has long been missing, all that exists is the Stereo Two-track album master.

So once again 'Remixed" from what? :roll:

Why do you think the multitrack has been missing? I do not believe it has.

There's no reason in the world Sony does not have the original multi-track tapes from the evening show. If the promo says that both shows are to be re-mixed, then it is safe to assume that they do indeed have those tapes in their possession. Great news indeed. :smt026 :smt026

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 am

Dream come true release for me.

Will shoot anybody who will complain about it :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 am

My boy, my boy!!! I'm excited. Most exciting year for elvis fans for years!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:39 am

trouble_jw wrote:My boy, my boy!!! I'm excited. Most exciting year for elvis fans for years!

Agreed. Ernst is kicking so much ass and is doing an awesome job.

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:00 am

I'm looking forward to this release. It might have taken some time, but finally the MSG shows get the presentation they deserve. :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 am

indeed this is FANTASTIC 'news' and also i was waiting for this and did not buy the Venus release, but i will be buying this one great|! 8)

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:18 am

It's FANTASTIC news but why isn't Vic Anesini doing the remix and mastering?

Maybe the guys under his guidance...

I can't wait to get this it IS AMAZING!!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:And some '50s book project, with three CDs of rare, restored and unissued material...

Which is limited to just some lucky fans right now. :|
No, can't find strength to get over the fact that it's not a mainstream release... It's music history, for God's sake. Shouldn't be limited.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 am

The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Who the .... is Michael Brauer???
Uh, oh... I hope he doesn't want to win the loudness war on that one... :shock:

So, in this case I'll wait for some reviews or an audio sample.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 am

steve in SC wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Excellent news and the kind of extensive and exhaustive package that should really be the norm for official Elvis Presley product.

As others have noted, I doubt 40 minutes of performance footage will be included on the DVD section. Still, even if we only get half that amount - if mastered from the original elements and matched up with remixed multi-track audio, it could prove a standard setter for future creative releases. Let's hope so.

On a slightly negative note; does anyone else think that the proposed cover photograph/artwork chosen, shows Elvis in a rather unfavourable light - in that he appears heavier than he actually was during the period?

Such a prestigious release should really do it's best not to invite the tiresome ridicule of the "70's Elvis" image and present the era in as positive a light as possible.
This cover [as regal-looking as it is] misses the mark somewhat, IMO.

Agreed. It's an ok cover but I would put the skinniest looking picture from these shows on the cover, LOL. I think it is very possible that this may not be the cover? Remember this photo was billboard size in Times Square when the photos were discovered a couple of years ago.

just curious.....but its that still there?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 am

BrianTCB wrote:I am still quite stunned by this news. I hope we get pre-order information soon so I can provide my money and get the package in short order as it's released.

Let's hope next week will mean MORE amazing news! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Like a 100% complete Ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD set featuring all filmed concerts... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

you definitely expect too much Brian............lmao

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

Expecting?? Naaaahhh.

Hoping?? Always! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Plus the FTD vinyls.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Wow.....Madison was one of the very first albums I got in1976.This is fantastic news indeed.I purchased the complete masters boxset and the MSG release on that is the best yet.It will be interesting to see what they do next with this new remix.This would have been a great opportunity to also have given us a 5.1 mix .Just as a foot note Ronnie Tutt told me he always felt the album release was too fast!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!! :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm

I quite like the mock-up cover. Of the two shows, however, I prefer the white suit.

Never did like the original cover picture, mainly because it was not from the show. This was in the days of 'rush releases' - the idea being to grab the moment before it was gone - and because album sleeves production obviously had a 'lead time' aspect.

Ironic to think that neither of two of Elvis's iconic live albums - MSG and Aloha - had pictures from the actual shows. Not only that, but they must have striven hard to find the most unflattering picture possible for the Aloha front cover.

However, this is fantastic news. Just hope that any show footage is synched-up to sound. They wouldn't give us silent footage, now would they . . . ?

Steve Morse

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Who the .... is Michael Brauer???

He's a big-time, very established and successful engineer. From his website:

Michael Brauer.JPG

My career began at MediaSound Studios in New York City in 1976. I worked my way up from the Shipping Department to staff engineer by 1978. The staff engineers that I assisted were all the hottest guys in town including; Bob Clearmountain, Mike Barbiero, Ron St. Germain, Michael DeLugg, Ed Stasium, Godfrey Diamond, Tony Bongiovi and Harvey Goldberg.

My first big break came when I was asked to record and mix two songs with singer Luther Vandross for an R&B record called Change. Soon after, Luther approached me to record his upcoming solo album Never too Much which went on to become a Gold Record. I became Luther’s engineer and recorded all his music for the next four years including two Aretha Franklin albums.

In 1984 I flew over to London where the music scene was exploding. I met some A&R people that were willing to give me a shot at production and remixing. I soon became in demand and worked for all the major London labels until 1990 when I decided to focus on the American scene.

I went on to mix such records as the Stones' Steelwheels, New Radicals, Tony Bennett’s Grammy® Album of the Year Unplugged. I've received 4 Grammys® including ColdPlay's Alternative Album of the Year Parachutes, John Mayer’s Best Pop Vocal Album, Continuum, ColdPlay's Best Rock Album, Viva la Vida and John Mayer - Best Engineer in Non-Classical, Battle Studies. Recent projects include John Mayer, Twin Shadow, Grizzly Bear, Flying Colors and Rumor.

"If there is one word to sum up mix master Michael Brauer’s list of credits, it is 'eclectic.' That impression would be fine by Brauer, who has made a point of constantly expanding into new musical territories. Along the way, Brauer’s work has enjoyed commercial and critical success in genres as diverse as urban, R&B, country, alternative, rock, mainstream, rock and pop, thanks to his knack for creating mixes that capture the intent of the songs. Unlike some mixers and producers, Brauer doesn’t leave an identifiable sonic stamp on his work. That anonymity keeps him from being pigeonholed into a particular category. However, one element Brauer has worked on tirelessly - and which has set his mixes apart from the pack - is his sophisticated application of compression. While many mixers may throw an entire mix through a compressor to even out the overall dynamics, Brauer refines the final sound with a multilevel approach that keeps the compression of one part of the mix from inflicting itself on another area of the soundscape." -- (Billboard ProFile interview by Rick Clark ‘94)

MHB Productions - Biography
http://www.mbrauer.com/biog2.asp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Steve Morse wrote:I quite like the mock-up cover. Of the two shows, however, I prefer the white suit.

Never did like the original cover picture, mainly because it was not from the show. This was in the days of 'rush releases' - the idea being to grab the moment before it was gone - and because album sleeves production obviously had a 'lead time' aspect.

Ironic to think that neither of two of Elvis's iconic live albums - MSG and Aloha - had pictures from the actual shows. Not only that, but they must have striven hard to find the most unflattering picture possible for the Aloha front cover.

However, this is fantastic news. Just hope that any show footage is synched-up to sound. They wouldn't give us silent footage, now would they . . . ?

Steve Morse

Also that will save FTD classic albums series, cause Ernst used original picture on "Standing Room Only" :-)
How he could release that in FTD now? :)

All in all, release them in Legacy is the best way imo.
Hope they will make some publicity.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Forgive me for "stating the bleedin' obvious", but,

What an inspired choice of title ! For the avoidance of doubt, too, let me say that I am not being sarcastic.

I originally read the New York Times review of the show (reprinted) back in 1972. Forty years on, 'A Prince From Another Planet' still grabs the attention and still gives a few goosebumps. This would all seem to be a brilliant marketing decision. It's too bad it appears in this soulless era of downloads, as it would certainly have had a greater impact a few years' back. Certainly I remember record shops having sizeable stacks of An Afternoon In The Garden, back in 1997 (was it really that long ago ?).

Steve Morse

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm

So these shows won't get the FTD treatment?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Well I hope not. Not now.

At least Ernst have some more material to release it in FTD. Like rehearsal or something.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Oh man, let us hope they are not! I thought we were long beyond the "bright, brick-wall, modern" screwed up mastering days. Well, it only says he's remixing the tapes - hopefully the mastering will be done well.

I totally agree with you, Matthew.