Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Excellent news and the kind of extensive and exhaustive package that should really be the norm for official Elvis Presley product.

As others have noted, I doubt 40 minutes of performance footage will be included on the DVD section. Still, even if we only get half that amount - if mastered from the original elements and matched up with remixed multi-track audio, it could prove a standard setter for future creative releases. Let's hope so.

On a slightly negative note; does anyone else think that the proposed cover photograph/artwork chosen, shows Elvis in a rather unfavourable light - in that he appears heavier than he actually was during the period?

Such a prestigious release should really do it's best not to invite the tiresome ridicule of the "70's Elvis" image and present the era in as positive a light as possible.
This cover [as regal-looking as it is] misses the mark somewhat, IMO.

Agreed. It's an ok cover but I would put the skinniest looking picture from these shows on the cover, LOL. I think it is very possible that this may not be the cover? Remember this photo was billboard size in Times Square when the photos were discovered a couple of years ago.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:30 am

steve in SC wrote:Remember this photo was billboard size in Times Square when the photos were discovered a couple of years ago.

Still there as of May 2012.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 am

steve in SC wrote:Agreed. It's an ok cover but I would put the skinniest looking picture from these shows on the cover, LOL. I think it is very possible that this may not be the cover? Remember this photo was billboard size in Times Square when the photos were discovered a couple of years ago.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping - that it's yet to be finalised.
It's certainly not the worst image I've seen but neither is it the most flattering.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:38 am

Even the photos name on the first site of this topic says "mock up" :) the is though still no official press announcement

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

Oh man, let us hope they are not! I thought we were long beyond the "bright, brick-wall, modern" screwed up mastering days. Well, it only says he's remixing the tapes - hopefully the mastering will be done well.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:01 am

Oh yeah, Sony is moving in the right direction with this project. Isn't it great when we all have something like this to look forward to? I hope Sony sends out some tv advertisements regarding this release.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 am

Sounds great! Really excited about this!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 am

seaward wrote:Oh yeah, Sony is moving in the right direction with this project.

Lets hope they don't move in a direction away from the excellent audio quality standards established in recent years.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 am

Excellent news! I read "remixed," so I'm sure getting this... :)

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 am

JimmyCool wrote:Excellent news! I read "remixed," so I'm sure getting this... :)

"Remixed" from what?
The Multi-Track tape from the evening show has long been missing, all that exists is the Stereo Two-track album master.

So once again 'Remixed" from what? :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:14 am

Matthew wrote:

Lets hope they don't move in a direction away from the excellent audio quality standards established in recent years.

yeah. wouldn't it be something if this thing came out and everyone hated the sound.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 am

L Ray wrote:
Matthew wrote:

yeah. wouldn't it be something if this thing came out and everyone hated the sound.

Yeah lets just hope it's mono and only on 8-track we don't want any modern sound. :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:37 am

promiseland wrote:"Remixed" from what?
The Multi-Track tape from the evening show has long been missing, all that exists is the Stereo Two-track album master.

Maybe they found the tape?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:53 am

I think anybody who bought the 35th anniversary Graceland guidebook that came with a DVD may have already seen some highlights from the DVD of MSG live. The Graceland guidebook DVD had footage of Elvis at MSG with matching sound (Polk Salad Annie, Proud Mary, etc.)

Daryl

Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In September

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 am

promiseland wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Excellent news! I read "remixed," so I'm sure getting this... :)

"Remixed" from what?

Why do you think the multitrack has been missing? I do not believe it has.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 am

Matthew wrote:
promiseland wrote:

"Remixed" from what?

Why do you think the multitrack has been missing? I do not believe it has.

I agree... this is news to me as well... I did hear something about the poor condition of the tape but that's it...

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 am

WOW! What a great week to be an Elvis fan... a newly found recording from 1955 and now the anticipated release of these two remixed and remastered MSG concert recordings!! WOOT! WOOT!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 am

I've known this for months and now you guys are getting all wet ...

Kinda funny actaully ....

The guy that I know that works at Battery Studios said he heard some of this Elvis "LIve" stuff and told me it'll blow you away with how great it sounds. I sure hope he was right.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 am

Hello,

The idea of this MSG set is good. Maybe Sony Legacy could do a vinyl replica of the Current Audio Vol. 1 No. 1 that came out that summer of 1972. I believe BMG bought out Buddah /Buddha years ago and that is now owned by Sony. There's an article in the August 12, 1972 issue of Billboard magazine that mentions that RCA filed for a court injunction to stop Buddah from putting Elvis' press conference audio on their very first release of "Current Audio." The courts ultimately sided with Buddah. The article is on page 3 and is titled "Record /Print Magazine Wins OK on Presley In Countersuit." Here's a link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eygEAA ... &q&f=false

So, please update your Elvis discographies to include Current Audio Vol. 1. No.1.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 am

Is it just me or is that mock-up artwork for the upcoming MSG set god-awful? Surely they can find a better photo than that.

Daryl

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

The idea of this MSG set is good. Maybe Sony Legacy could do a vinyl replica of the Current Audio Vol. 1 No. 1 that came out that summer of 1972. I believe BMG bought out Buddah /Buddha years ago and that is now owned by Sony. There's an article in the August 12, 1972 issue of Billboard magazine that mentions that RCA filed for a court injunction to stop Buddah from putting Elvis' press conference audio on their very first release of "Current Audio." The courts ultimately sided with Buddah. The article is on page 3 and is titled "Record /Print Magazine Wins OK on Presley In Countersuit." Here's a link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eygEAA ... &q&f=false

So, please update your Elvis discographies to include Current Audio Vol. 1. No.1.

I had that LP for years. later sold it on ebay or at a convention. It only had a part of the conference. Not the whole thing.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 am

Daryl wrote:Is it just me or is that mock-up artwork for the upcoming MSG set god-awful? Surely they can find a better photo than that.

Daryl

I think its an iconic photograph.
But i'm sure this isn't the final cover.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 am

Daryl wrote:Is it just me or is that mock-up artwork for the upcoming MSG set god-awful? Surely they can find a better photo than that.

Daryl

Well, it's from the site reporting the news, not from Sony. So surely it'll be better.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 am

I am still quite stunned by this news. I hope we get pre-order information soon so I can provide my money and get the package in short order as it's released.

Let's hope next week will mean MORE amazing news! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Like a 100% complete Ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD set featuring all filmed concerts... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 am

BrianTCB wrote:I am still quite stunned by this news. I hope we get pre-order information soon so I can provide my money and get the package in short order as it's released.

Let's hope next week will mean MORE amazing news! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Like a 100% complete Ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD set featuring all filmed concerts... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats what im waiting on is preorder information.